Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Raticus79 posted:

I wonder where the "fixed an issue where a feature wasn't implemented yet" patch notes style got started. I noticed Blizzard does it too.

My favourite thing about you is that you registered a month ago and post a little more than once per day in no thread but this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
There is no shame in J4T!

WELCOME ALL NEW POSTERS.

Misren
Nov 30, 2014

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
pppppaaaarrrrrrpp. pa arp. ppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppprrrrrppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp paw pas pawpawpawpapaawwwrrrrrrpppppppp :gay:

This post brought to you by Ambien.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Just out of curiosity.

If Robert's insane company goes backrupt, isn't it possible that some other company would just by the intellectual property and all the game assets, and just leave all the commitments behind?

In case of bankruptcies, don't the usually try and recover as much for the real creditors, not for idiots who bought JPEGs?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's all about capturing Chris's dreams.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

RagnarokZ posted:

Just out of curiosity.

If Robert's insane company goes backrupt, isn't it possible that some other company would just by the intellectual property and all the game assets, and just leave all the commitments behind?

In case of bankruptcies, don't the usually try and recover as much for the real creditors, not for idiots who bought JPEGs?

Out of all the bullshit this enterprise has spawned from "donations", which do you think failed Hollywood producer Chris Roberts would most likely hang onto:

- his generic sci-fi game that is drowning in scope-creep from the demands of autistic space-pirate-rapists
- his state-of-the-art MoCap studio

If (:lol: when) this whole thing goes tits-up and nobody buys the rights to "the game", you will probably find that every one of the umpteen corporations involved will be liquidated to pay debts except the one that owns that MoCap studio. Everyone will have contributed to Chris Roberts being Andy Serkis' bitch for C-list MoCap projects, but at least he's back in Hollywood, baby! And that'll mean a big role for his leather muppet wife in some god-awful movie!

What are we up to now, $96M?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Illectro just did a cool video on space engineers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebKVOogEblQ

I agree with his earlier point that seamless surface to space transitions are really cool. Would orbit have been possible given sufficient lateral velocity?

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

DreadLlama posted:

I agree with his earlier point that seamless surface to space transitions are really cool. Would orbit have been possible given sufficient lateral velocity?

It's my understanding that the planets in Space Engineers are kind of a hack job. I don't think you could orbit or anything.

Edit: Actually, maybe you could but I doubt it'd be worth doing for anything other than to say you did.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 24, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DreadLlama posted:

Speaking in general, and not in that game in particular.

Only with a bit of strategic trickery. First, sure, an orbit is already a case of having “sufficient lateral velocity” — otherwise, it's just an escape trajectory. The problem is that an orbit means you always arrive back at the same point the orbit started from, which means that if you just go fast enough to leave the ground at a tangent, you will circle around to that point on the ground. This tends to disqualify it from properly being “in orbit” to most people's minds.

You could get around that by managing to pick the launch-off point, planetary geography, and the orbital period such that, every time you come around, the planet below you will have rotated so that you're now flying over a valley rather than touching the ground. Or, perhaps more easily (relatively speaking) you launch laterally from a high mountain and make sure you miss the mountain on every subsequent pass.

…and of course all of that assumes that you have no atmosphere that aerobrakes you and causes your orbit to decay. That's why most orbits are about going sideways really really fast (the hard part) while also getting high enough to be clear of any ground obstructions, including atmosphere (the easy part). That means you pretty much universally have to combine both upwards and sideways movement in an launch — you can't rely on just one of them.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 24, 2015

Misren
Nov 30, 2014

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.

skaboomizzy posted:

Out of all the bullshit this enterprise has spawned from "donations", which do you think failed Hollywood producer Chris Roberts would most likely hang onto:

- his generic sci-fi game that is drowning in scope-creep from the demands of autistic space-pirate-rapists
- his state-of-the-art MoCap studio

If (:lol: when) this whole thing goes tits-up and nobody buys the rights to "the game", you will probably find that every one of the umpteen corporations involved will be liquidated to pay debts except the one that owns that MoCap studio. Everyone will have contributed to Chris Roberts being Andy Serkis' bitch for C-list MoCap projects, but at least he's back in Hollywood, baby! And that'll mean a big role for his leather muppet wife in some god-awful movie!

What are we up to now, $96M?

"We couldn't live up to our fans expectations" - Future Chris Roberts.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I meant by doing the thing where you ascend out of the atmosphere and then move perpendicular to the planet fast enough that you miss the surface when you fall back.

edit: Can I play KSP in Space Engineers?

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

spacetoaster posted:

Got a response!....

They changed their "Your refund should hit your bank account in 5 to 10 business days." to "Your refund should hit your bank account in 30 to 45 business days."

Perhaps if you guys actually want a refund you should not poo poo up the queue.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Gryphon0468 posted:

You know what the most efficient way to deal with a support queue is? Tackle the nosiest customers first. It's a rather counter productive feedback loop but it's reality.

The guy willing to sit on his hands for 45 days is going to end up waiting 60, the guy who makes a fuss is going to get his refund prioritised.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gryphon0468 posted:

Stop touching your family members. TIA.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Gryphon0468 posted:

Perhaps you should stop making GBS threads in this thread

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Something Tables.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Gryphon0468 posted:

The thing these people here don't seem to understand is that the "whales" already know their ships aren't literally worth the dollar amount and know that everything will be fairly available in the PU.

Oh I am sure many don't, there are a lot of idiots out there :)

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

Something Tables.

Dev Hell?

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

There is no shame in J4T!

WELCOME ALL NEW POSTERS.

Plz fund my new jpeg

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Amun Khonsu posted:

Plz fund my new jpeg

Is this for real? That looks almost exactly like Elite's Vulture. CIG can't even make up jpegs anymore.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Amun Khonsu posted:

Plz fund my new jpeg

No, seriously, five loving thousand dollars. For virtual space pewpew spaceships that haven't been completed yet in a game that doesn't exist.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
:wtchris:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thronde posted:

Is this for real? That looks almost exactly like Elite's Vulture. CIG can't even make up jpegs anymore.

Hey, it's better than that time they decided to crib the design from the Pkunk ship.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

AP posted:

Something Tables.

Ah, the classic “I'm not locked up in here with you; you're locked up in here with me”-school of interior design. Very chic.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

I have never seen this in my life... and it is amazing. self.starcitizen

submitted an hour ago by djellipseHigh Admiral

Not what you are thinking... i was in the ptu discord as the eatch was getting worked on. Roughly 100 ish people activelt working with the devs to help find issues LIVE. Has there ever been a game made that is this interactive with its users? Have you ever seen developers work on bugs in real time with hundreds of regular users?

All of them were seriously trying to colaborate together to get this patch out and fix the ptu to have it go live sooner. I have to say that after watching this take place, i have a new level of respect, and appreciation for both cig, their willingness to be humble and allow us such an up close and personal interaction to get down in the trenches with them, as well as all of you. Your willingness to spend hours of YOUR frew time to help devs fix these issues is extremely admirable. Just wanted to give everyone a pat on the back I guess. The star citizen community is truely unique, and it is loving beautiful. Thanks for being amazing both cig devs and YOU!

Has there ever been a game made that is this interactive with its users?

Well, yeah, some of them you can even play!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I tried the PTU 2.0.0b patch today. I loaded up the game and tried to launch into Crusader. All the instances were full. So I alt+tabbed out and browsed my RSS feeds for a bit. I come back and I'm standing in the spawn room. So far so good. I pressed F9 to bring up the mobiglass and read the Journal. I'm... still in the game. This can't be too bad. Since it seemed more stable, I decided to figure out how to spawn a ship. Of course, it is difficult getting places because the movement is so janky and because the game locks up for 5 seconds about a few times a minute, but I finally found the ship terminal. I use it and the animation plays. And plays. And plays. Then I crash.

We're making progress!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

trucutru posted:

Has there ever been a game made that is this interactive with its users?

Well, yeah, some of them you can even play!

One of the first few things they delivered was a "Fish Tank Mk1".

Explains much.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AP posted:

Something Tables.

Tables? Look at those loving concrete walls and steel barred windows!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm bouncing around between these twitch streamers and it's just so distasteful all the e-begging they do. It's all virtual chat currencies and donation dances and constantly updating follower counts, while reiterating the news you can get just from reading the top 3 posts for any given day. I can't believe anyone gives these people attention, much less donates in the amounts they're showing on their tickers. Truly, star citizens are the easiest whales to hunt.

I hate to break this to you but this is now basically every streamer on Twitch.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

BlueGrot fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 24, 2015

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Chalks posted:

Tables? Look at those loving concrete walls and steel barred windows!

I'm sure there's some writing on that wall.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

@no_recall reserved for you man

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

AP posted:

Something Tables.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharashka

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Amun Khonsu posted:

@no_recall reserved for you man

lmao

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

no_recall posted:

I'm sure there's some writing on that wall.

Exclusive look at the corridor leading to the break room in their new office:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Amun Khonsu posted:

Plz fund my new jpeg

I honestly don't actually care to pay enough attention to Star Citizen to be able tell if that is a shop or not. And I'm guessing I'm not alone.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Something boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Those loving windows. No decorator in the world is going to make that not look like a prison.

WHY ARE THE BARS ON THE INSIDE??

• Locked thread