Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Hipsters are all "I enjoy Deafheaven, therefore it's not black metal, it's part of some new different thing, I'm too cool to listen to dorky metal stuff, it's ambient-post-blackgaze or something. This is incredible and revolutionary and bears no resemblance to that lowly black metal plebeian music of old" while metalheads are all "other people enjoy Deafheaven, therefore it's not black metal, it is white metal for the casual poser. I will constantly redefine the boundaries of anything I like to exclude people who have girlfriends"

I don't like Deafheaven's music because I dislike the aesthetic but man, they've really managed to upset a lot of nerds and I respect that

Hipsters don't actually exist, and 'metalheads' probably don't have the views you think they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Hipsters drink craft beer and listen to tapes like this. Metalheads drink craft beer and listen to tapes like this.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

A human heart posted:

Hipsters don't actually exist, and 'metalheads' probably don't have the views you think they do.

Here, let me cite my sources:

1. 'some angry posts I saw on tumblr', 2015

2. -

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Another source is this video of a hipster listening to some dsbm for the first time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN9pS-QGTwk

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Here's a live video of one of Abbath's new songs~

FENRIR HUNTS

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Potential BFF posted:

Here's a live video of one of Abbath's new songs~

FENRIR HUNTS

I wish they would co-ordinate more when it comes to their styles/corpse paint. Abbath still looks like he's in Immortal, King still looks like he's in Gorgororth and the drummer looks like he just came from playing with Behemoth. You'd think they'd create like there own original paint or physical style rather than just looking like they always did.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Maybe he's trying to position himself in people's minds as the true continuation of Immortal, especially if his new music turns out to be better than Immortal's. He would probably get good publicity out of that paint style since he is in hundreds of memes and stuff, he's very recognizable even outside metal circles.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Maybe he's trying to position himself in people's minds as the true continuation of Immortal, especially if his new music turns out to be better than Immortal's. He would probably get good publicity out of that paint style since he is in hundreds of memes and stuff, he's very recognizable even outside metal circles.

I understand that, but that only really applies to Abbath. I can understand the other two not wanting to just be copies of Demonaz and Horgh but you'd think they could at least co-ordinate with each other to have some sort of similar style.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Fallen Empire posted a track from the upcoming Nağra album. Iceland is awesome for black metal these days.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
New Cosmic Church. Very good stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/kuunpalvelus/cosmic-church-vigilia-iii

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/features/2015-09-21/we-took-abbath-for-a-day-trip-round-london

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Yes, it's as good as we presumed it would be.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Figured you guys would know the answer better than the "help me find" thread.

I'm looking for a black metal album, it was based on history and was one of those Burzum-esque historical black metal albums. The cover of it was a bunch of ancient ruins, there was grass on the ground and a few pililars I think? It could have been the ruins of a church or a greek structure. Lyrically I'm pretty sure it was about medieval history. It was posted somewhere here I think and they were selling gold vinyls of it, and some others but I remember the gold ones. Sorry if that's not much to go on, figured I'd take a shot and see if someone knows this.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Kvlt! posted:

Figured you guys would know the answer better than the "help me find" thread.

You have to be talking about Obsequiae's Aria of Vernal Tombs that came out earlier this year on 20 Buck Spin. Great atmosphere!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

You have to be talking about Obsequiae's Aria of Vernal Tombs that came out earlier this year on 20 Buck Spin. Great atmosphere!

That's exactly it! That was fast, thank you!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

One of the best albums of the year to boot.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

What other bands would you guys suggest to someone who loves Mgła?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

caiman posted:

Can't go wrong with M.'s other band, Kriegsmaschine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsIV3SjSfsI

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
this came out nearly a year ago but it's cool, denmark produces some bizarre BM bands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vum02BvVVW0

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Yeah it rules. These guys know how to write cool bridges.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

caiman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXguRkXHAhA

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

AOTY material right there

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

caiman posted:

Plaga

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
there's a new Abigail Williams LP out and its pretty good BM. i could've sworn these guys were playing some kind of deathcore a few years ago.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
It looks like 1349 are making another run through the US this winter w/ Tombs and Full of Hell in tow.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

It looks like 1349 are making another run through the US this winter w/ Tombs and Full of Hell in tow.

The Tombs logo looks like it says Combs

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.
I'm a few months late on this, but gently caress it, that Mgla album is incredible. I haven't stopped listening to it all week, and I feel like it's unlocking successive layers in my brain. Also, one of the few metal albums I know of where the lyrics aren't comically embarrassing. They've really captured a sense of nihilism and, well, futility, without resorting to endless invocations of Satan or devolving into ominous word salad.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

dxt posted:

It really does

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

dxt posted:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Has there been any updates on the Shining documentary? They released a trailer for it but I can't find any info on it anywhere.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

So Blood Music is apparently working on an Emperor vinyl box set that's gargantuan. It'll almost certainly be out of my price range but it's interesting reading the guy's write ups about how this or that album has changed through different releases over the years.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I read the first mix was a total mess where the recording engineer said it was perfect but anyone who listened to Emperor knew it wasn't the right sound so he's doing it over again. Should be an excellent pickup for a great band when it finally gets released.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Spectral Lore has a new EP, nearly 50 minutes of "psychedelic black metal and acoustic/drone influenced by oriental folk melodies."

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Abbath are touring the United States:

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
Been looking for atmospheric black metal with a rock vibe similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoLQ7K45VGo

Any recommendations?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
New Abbath song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfx82m_xJe0

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kvlt! posted:

Abbath are touring the United States:

OT in relation to the thread's main genre, but it's awesome that they're playing with High on Fire. Those guys are absolute juggernauts, their concert here in Copenhagen on Sunday was an absolute blast. Matt Pike is the literal batshit crazy embodiment of dirty filthy old-school metal.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I just saw tribulation a couple weeks ago, they sound fuckin great and their lead guitarists wears essentially heeled ballet shoes and prances around the whole time

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Scrambles posted:

I just saw tribulation a couple weeks ago, they sound fuckin great and their lead guitarists wears essentially heeled ballet shoes and prances around the whole time

god...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Scrambles posted:

Yeah, I see what you mean.