Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
If DJ Hogg isn't playing at Arkansas fire their coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

MourningView posted:

He's really bad at actually playing basketball and chad ford needs to chill

He hasn't looked good at all so far and it's really weird

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ross Angeles posted:

He hasn't looked good at all so far and it's really weird

He was bad last year too.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

not really

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He averaged like 5 and 2 last year on pretty crappy percentages for a 6'10" dude and struggled to get minutes.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 19, 2015

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Yeah but on the other hand he goes to SDSU. How can we reconcile these two things

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
you mean the college that has produced such greats as KAWHI LEONARD

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm pretty sure Chad Ford is the biggest reason anyone thinks of Pope as a big prospect right now and he has a tendency pump up toolsy guys when it's early in the draft cycle, even if they haven't done much on the court to back it up. See also: Chris Walker.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

MourningView posted:

He averaged like 5 and 2 last year on pretty crappy percentages for a 6'10" dude and struggled to get minutes.

Can't imagine why the coaches decided to ease him into the game after not having played competitive basketball for two and a half years.

But you're right. He sucks, dunno why he was recruited

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That is the reason he is bad but it doesn't make his current badness less true.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

His current badness is baffling because he isn't even playing defense now. He did that last year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
What are Denzel Valentine's draft prospects looking like? What position do you put an even smaller backcourt version of Draymond Green at?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ben Simmons looks real good.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

"Real good" might end up being a big understatement. Too bad Kyrie Irving didn't pick Australia because a pairing of those two could gently caress FIBA up.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

It's stupid to be saying this really but he looks lebron-like in the way he can hold the ball for a second up towards halfcourt, see the whole floor, and fire off a perfect pass that finds an often completely surprised teammate

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

It's also nice to see a ridiculously good Freshman who's not at Duke or Kentucky.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Crazy Ted posted:

It's also nice to see a ridiculously good Freshman who's not at Duke or Kentucky.

oh boy are you ever not going to want to click this link http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2016/order/true

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

It's stupid to be saying this really but he looks lebron-like in the way he can hold the ball for a second up towards halfcourt, see the whole floor, and fire off a perfect pass that finds an often completely surprised teammate

He looks like he has the natural ability to turn into a good shooter. That's the last piece. Jesus he is a good prospect.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lol

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Ben Simmons going coast to coast through traffic and finishing with one of those new fangled "slamed dunks"

https://vine.co/v/izgMvahlhBA

He went for 21-20-7 in a 1 point loss to Marquette, who isn't a great team.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

PotatoJudge posted:

Ben Simmons going coast to coast through traffic and finishing with one of those new fangled "slamed dunks"

https://vine.co/v/izgMvahlhBA

He went for 21-20-7 in a 1 point loss to Marquette, who isn't a great team.

I've only really watched him for one game and my thoughts are his skills are great, but he doesn't really know what to do on offense if he doesn't have the ball; he just kind of stands around.

On defense, there is a lack of effort/awareness off-ball and he just gives up on trailing his man if they are able to get by him. He doesn't fill areas well and just kinda sits there unless his man does something.

Basically, young player things. I have seen some players never grow out of those bad habits, however, and that worries me.

Still an absolute stud of a prospect.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The passing is as advertised, and the rest of his skill set seems lot farther along than it was supposed to be. He's a lot more smooth with the ball in his hands than I thought he'd be based on the little bit I'd seen before, which is a nice surprise. If he tightens up his jumper he can probably play on the wing, which is good because he can't really play in the post right now for the most part and is really skinny. His defense kinda sucks aside from being able to block some shots, but that's always slow. Same with the not being able to play off the ball thing. He hasn't really had to very much.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Brandon Ingram looks like a loving animated skeleton. It looks like if you pushed against his chest it'd turn to dust.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
In terms of young guys, I saw LeBron in his senior year of high school and it was obvious that he was a man among boys (literally) then, and he didn't give two shits about defense, so giving demerits to Simmons on that account is kinda whatevs. Other than Davis due to his shot-blocking, who was the last big-time guy to hit the draft and be known for their D anyway?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
MKG? I guess it depends on what the cutoff for bigtime is

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

In terms of young guys, I saw LeBron in his senior year of high school and it was obvious that he was a man among boys (literally) then, and he didn't give two shits about defense, so giving demerits to Simmons on that account is kinda whatevs. Other than Davis due to his shot-blocking, who was the last big-time guy to hit the draft and be known for their D anyway?

It happens a lot with big guys. The most notable example post-LeBron would be Oden in terms of draft hype, but it was also true of Karl Anthony Towns way back uhhhh...last year. And for wings Wiggins was probably farther along defensively in college than he was offensively, although it's been the opposite so far in the pros.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

It happens a lot with big guys. The most notable example post-LeBron would be Oden in terms of draft hype, but it was also true of Karl Anthony Towns way back uhhhh...last year. And for wings Wiggins was probably farther along defensively in college than he was offensively, although it's been the opposite so far in the pros.

Yeah, the last two #1s were either going to be primary defensive player (KAT) or a two-way wing (Wiggins). In the NBA offense is generally more valuable than defense (which is why Carmelo has made way more money than Tony Allen), though a defensive rim-protector is generally pretty hyped.

And Wiggins defense has been pretty solid. Not really off the charts but he has been above average. The problem is the rest of the wing defenders on the Wolves are weak so its pretty easy to work around him.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

you weren't kidding

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Kansas's highest ranked player is at 99? The hell happened there?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The way he's going right now, we might just have to create a dedicated Ben Simmons thread. 21/20/7 last night. Today: 0/4 shooting with 2 points, but he has 13 boards, 9 assists, three steals, and two blocks with 6+ minutes left.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Huge gamble for #1 that he learns to shoot.

He's not going to by March.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
The one thing that really stands out for me is his awareness of where everyone is on the court (including himself). Now, if he can use that for something other than just passing...

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kibner posted:

The one thing that really stands out for me is his awareness of where everyone is on the court (including himself). Now, if he can use that for something other than just passing...
Yeah. If anything, he's been way too unselfish during today's game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

I think less so given that there isn't really anything approaching a sure thing behind him (with the caveat that I know literally nothing about Dragan Bender beyond that he has a really dope name)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Tim Quarterman looks like a solid second round pick.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kibner posted:

Tim Quarterman looks like a solid second round pick.
Question is: since he's a Quarterman which quarter do you play him in?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
"1st 2nd 3rd or 4th" Quarterman's NBA nickname will be dependent upon his clutch-ness

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Who is this dragon bender and how do I hire him to serve my realm

Crazy Ted posted:

What pisses me off isn't all the 99 rated recruits who inevitably play for Duke or Kentucky, it's the mother fuckers who are rated 70-90 who would rather sit on the bench at Duke or Kentucky than start for another program.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 25, 2015

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

C. Everett Koop posted:

Kansas's highest ranked player is at 99? The hell happened there?

A whole lot of swing and misses :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

euphronius posted:

He's not going to by March.

Would a 6'10" Ricky Rubio (that can stay healthy) be worth the number one pick? I say yes.

Caveat, I don't watch college hoops so have never seen this guy play.

• Locked thread