Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I can't believe they're doing the exact same thing with Pop! that they were doing with Destination America; that is, referring to the channel by the name of its parent network to try to prove to themselves how big they've hit it.

This is gonna be one hell of a 2016.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I shouldn't be amazed that they're doing the same thing with DA that they did with Spike, yet here we are. "The old channel never promoted TNA, they never did anything with TNA, TNA will be much better off with the new channel" is basically verbatim from this time last year.

The output of boots will be one hundred and forty five millions for the quarter, while TNA Mecca goes barefoot and never questions the lack.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

In honor of New Day being the best thing on TV tonight, I spent the main event digging into the confession archives.

Originally posted August 28 2014

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

In honor of New Day being the best thing on TV tonight, I spent the main event digging into the confession archives.

it still was true when they were formed. they found their direction well into it after people screamed for them to break up the new day

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

ShootaBoy posted:

Considering what New Day said in their interview with Jericho about Vince's original idea for The New Day being stereotypical as gently caress, this isn't wrong or stupid.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Rodney the Piper posted:

Considering what New Day said in their interview with Jericho about Vince's original idea for The New Day being stereotypical as gently caress, this isn't wrong or stupid.

It's also worth remembering that Vince's idea for them was the drizzling shits until they turned them heel and just let them do whatever they wanted.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I'm sure in Vince's mind the New Day are still exactly the dancing, singing black men gimmick he wanted, and that he considers it a total success.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

vince personally writes all of xavier's promos actually

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Rodney the Piper posted:

thank god ferguson nixed that idea

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Rodney the Piper posted:

It was really sad hearing how excited they were for the New Day concept in the beginning, and how crushed they were once Vince told them what they'd be doing.

Thank god it all worked out in the end, I don't want to imagine a world with no New Day

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

a retard posted:

thank god ferguson nixed that idea

Ferguson brought us this New Day, while Clarissa bashes KO on twitter.

I had that show so backwards.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Ferguson brought us this New Day, while Clarissa bashes KO on twitter.

I had that show so backwards.

Hahahaha

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I don't know whether to be pissed off or amused at the combo of this post and your avatar.

Probably a bit of both.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Revenant Threshold posted:

I'm sure in Vince's mind the New Day are still exactly the dancing, singing black men gimmick he wanted, and that he considers it a total success.

hes not wrong

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is a very sensible thing to say.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Max Landis wrote some Wrestlemania go-home show fanfic & posted it to Reddit.

It loving sucks.

http://imgur.com/a/SC2wz

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

dsriggs posted:

Max Landis wrote some Wrestlemania go-home show fanfic & posted it to Reddit.

It loving sucks.

http://imgur.com/a/SC2wz

"Crowd insane because someone used the word bullshit"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

You know, I really liked Wrestling isn't Wrestling and would love to see a sequel on Kane or Taker or Raven or somebody, but it turns out that when Landis is telling his own stories and isn't surrounded by cosplayers, he's kinda garbage.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I did not like Wrestling Isn't Wrestling, especially the part where he shilled all the lovely movies he wrote via t-shirt.

Why can't we just throw Roland Barthes essays at anyone who wants to get academic about professional wrestling? Why does one have to hold on a high pedestal equal to epic poetry/etc something that is inherently a language spoken without words so even illiterate people can understand it? The movements themselves do a much better job of conveying the story and literary elements than a Triple H mark talking about the Odyssey or something.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wrestling isn't Wrestling was fun the first few times I watched it but eventually its rose colored glasses nostalgia, obnoxiousness and the amount of poo poo it glosses over or just gets wrong started to wear on me and now I probably won't watch it again

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

the first few times I watched it

why would you ever watch that more than once

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

AkumaHokoru posted:

it still was true when they were formed. they found their direction well into it after people screamed for them to break up the new day

I will admit that I was one of those people. But I have seen the light now.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

why would you ever watch that more than once

I watched it by myself a couple times and showed it to other people

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Ah, he booked crowd reactions. That's the best part.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Rodney the Piper posted:

For those of us who don't listen to every single podcast, what was the idea?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Could be worse, could be giving Sheamus the Money in the Bank contract then have him lose pre-show matches for the next five months before he cashes in and becomes the champ, somehow. :v:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zakharov posted:

For those of us who don't listen to every single podcast, what was the idea?

I haven't heard it but I think someone said it was pretty much what they are now, but Vince wanted them to be babyfaces and do the power of positivity thing without irony?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Yeah the way they described it on the podcast it seemed to stop just short of having Big E shout "Mammy".

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Remember their original vignettes before they first appeared in a ring where Big E was basically running a pentecostal church and it was a bit uncomfortable? That

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Ah yeah that was pretty bad

I'm honestly curious what WWE's black fanbase thinks of their current incarnation.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

zakharov posted:

I'm honestly curious what WWE's black fanbase thinks of their current incarnation.

David D. from over at Uproxx had a really good piece a while back about how Sasha Banks and the New Day are the first black characters that actually talk and act like he and his peers do, and that he wouldn't have to have a long explanatory conversation with his son about.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Intruder posted:

Remember their original vignettes before they first appeared in a ring where Big E was basically running a pentecostal church and it was a bit uncomfortable? That

Yeah. The plan the New Day went to Vince with was "we can do some really cool stuff, we don't have to be the black preacher group or the happy dancing babyfaces". They put so much time into the gimmick before it even made TV, they recorded their own vignettes, came up with characters, built their chemistry together.

Then they became preaching happy dancing babyfaces.

If anyone wants a crash course on what it's like working with present day Vince McMahon, listen to the Talk is Jericho episode with Dean Ambrose too. The poo poo The Shield had to go through was amazing.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

zakharov posted:

Brock_snaps_the_streak.jpg

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

triplexpac posted:

Yeah. The plan the New Day went to Vince with was "we can do some really cool stuff, we don't have to be the black preacher group or the happy dancing babyfaces". They put so much time into the gimmick before it even made TV, they recorded their own vignettes, came up with characters, built their chemistry together.

Then they became preaching happy dancing babyfaces.

If anyone wants a crash course on what it's like working with present day Vince McMahon, listen to the Talk is Jericho episode with Dean Ambrose too. The poo poo The Shield had to go through was amazing.

So did the crowd reactions pretty much force Vince's hand into turning them comedy heel?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

zakharov posted:

So did the crowd reactions pretty much force Vince's hand into turning them comedy heel?

It's been a while since I listened to the podcast, but I THINK Kofi said that basically the gimmick was flopping so they got a little wiggle room to try their own thing. Basically New Day said "look just let us try it our way, if it doesn't work you can split us up or whatever"

I think Xavier even said he would ask for his release if New Day didn't work out. I may be misremembering though!

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Must admit, I miss it when Dunn had to struggle to find the one white person in the crowd clapping along with the New Day each week. Brilliant unintentional comedy.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Every podcast with talent who talk candidly about the creative process kind of makes you realise anything good that's on screen has nothing to do with creative and was probably fought against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Even when New Day was floundering as the happy dancing jivin' babyfaces, Big E was tweeting hilariously and I wonder if that helped build toward giving them more leeway considering how anal WWE is about social media