Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:siren:LATEST UPDATE: 40 - New Year..........Uncut:siren:

People tend to think of the Metal Gear Solid franchise first when discussing movie-like games because that series is notorious for cutscene overload. MGS certainly offers the movie-viewing experience, but what about games that let the player feel like they're playing through a movie? Sleeping Dogs scratches that itch perfectly, and then some. Sleeping Dogs is a GTA clone set in Hong Kong, developed by United Front Games and published by Square Enix for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC and it's basically a Hong Kong action flick in video game form. Originally, UFG developed this game as an installment of the True Crime series, True Crime: Hong Kong, for Activision, but they weren't very happy with it for some reason and pulled the plug on UFG's hard work. Luckily, someone from Square Enix's European branch discovered UFG's work on the game and convinced the higher ups to buy the game from Activision. Under Square, UFG was allowed to polish their game, now titled Sleeping Dogs, to a mirror sheen, and it shows. In early 2014, UFG released an updated version for PS4, Xbone and PC, the Definitive Edition, that has pretty much all of the DLC, touched up character models and new lighting that looks kinda nice. This LP will be of the PC Definitive Edition.

Sleeping Dogs follows Wei Shen, an undercover cop who's sent on a mission to infiltrate and dismantle one of Hong Kong's biggest gangs from the inside, the Sun On Yee. This game features a well-written story, a fantastic cast and ties it all together with outstanding gameplay. It's a very interpersonal and gritty crime drama that explores the question of what it means to live a dual identity. Its gameplay is also very unique for the genre; most GTA-esque games put a big focus on gunplay, but Sleeping Dogs decides to focus more on melee combat. UFG put a lot of work into making the melee feel good, and it shows; the hand-to-hand combat feels so visceral and smooth that fighting almost never feels like a chore. It's also super brutal; expect to hear bones crunching and mooks screaming in pain often. While melee combat is the main gameplay focus, the game does include some guns to play around with. They're a little harder to come by, but UFG has a unique system in place that allows for some really intense gunplay.

I'm joined by my buddy Jobbo_Fett, who's only played a few hours of this game because he had a lot of trouble trying to get it to run properly on his PC. As such, he's going in mostly blind, which leads me to my next point:

:siren:NO SPOILERS:siren:

This game's plot is done really well and has some amazing twists so I'd appreciate it if the game could show its hand when the time comes.

I'm going to try to shoot for two updates a week, but no promises. Also, I have a Twitter you can follow if you want to get alerted to updates through there.

With that out of the Wei, I think it's time we got this show on the road.

Bonus

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Reserved

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I have bought this game twice and still cannot force myself to playthrough it despite liking most of what I see. My best excuse is "It's not Saints Row." Will definitively be following this.

futonrevolution
Sep 30, 2014
I love me some Sleeping Dogs. I'm not a huge fan of how the Definitive Edition looks, but the DLC being given to you a little at a time really helped the pacing. If you ever have a free evening, take one of the actors' names at random and look up their demo reels... there are a ton of kung fu action stars in this game.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I loved this game when I played it, and as silly as it sounds I think the thing that really sold me on the game was driving on the left. The moment I got in a car I was struck by how much better I felt the driving in this game was compared to games like GTA and Saints Row because I no longer had to mentally adjust for driving on the other side of the road like I do for every game with driving set in the US.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It's funny, I don't normally go much for GTA type games, but something about this one I've seen so far I really like, both this playthrough and the times I've watched others play. Perhaps it's the way the writing feels really legit, and that they do a pretty great job with sense of place, where Hong Kong feels very real as the crowded island metropolis it is in real life. Like, there just seems like nothing but cultural respect oozing off of the game, and that makes a HUGE difference in my impression.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
So I'm not the only one who keeps hijacking taxis by accident instead of hiring them right?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

So I'm not the only one who keeps hijacking taxis by accident instead of hiring them right?

NOPE

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

99% sure these loving game devs do that on purpose, I do that in the gta games too.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
Pretty sure the 500 Hong Kong dollars you got at 14:40 were the same ones that the guy stole from you at 13:35, so all you really got was some Face.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I need to get around to getting this game some time soon. Regardless though, even though the cop demerit system is there, it still seems pretty strange that you can just like, get away with killing dudes and not go to jail yourself, even if you ARE an undercover agent.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Choco1980 posted:

I need to get around to getting this game some time soon. Regardless though, even though the cop demerit system is there, it still seems pretty strange that you can just like, get away with killing dudes and not go to jail yourself, even if you ARE an undercover agent.

Wei has diplomatic immunity due to being American. We get to see this in action later on.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wei has diplomatic immunity due to being American. We get to see this in action later on.

So I could go to Hong Kong TODAY and just start shoving peoples heads into meatgrinders and walk away scott free. Got it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Choco1980 posted:

So I could go to Hong Kong TODAY and just start shoving peoples heads into meatgrinders and walk away scott free. Got it.

There's one caveat, but I don't want to spoil it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I love Sleeping Dogs, it's one of my favorite games of the last console generation and possibly ever. In fact, I like Sleeping Dogs so much that I wrote entirely too many words about it on my Wordpress site (the one with all the Mortal Kombat reviews) a couple of months ago. Read all the words here.

Shouldn't be anything spoilery in the text or the screenshots, unless you count a couple of the more violent environmental takedowns.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, I don't have an update today but this game is $7.50 on Steam as part of this sale, so if you don't have it, that's an extremely good price to jump in at! If you don't have a gaming PC, that's ok, because Square Enix is also selling this game as part of their Black Friday deals and pretty much every version is $10 or less! Yes, even the artbook edition for PS4 and Xbone (that's two bucks less than the non-artbook edition!). Now that I'm looking at it, Definitive Edition for Steam is $6 from Square Enix so even better!

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

ChaosArgate posted:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, I don't have an update today but this game is $7.50 on Steam as part of this sale, so if you don't have it, that's an extremely good price to jump in at! If you don't have a gaming PC, that's ok, because Square Enix is also selling this game as part of their Black Friday deals and pretty much every version is $10 or less! Yes, even the artbook edition for PS4 and Xbone (that's two bucks less than the non-artbook edition!). Now that I'm looking at it, Definitive Edition for Steam is $6 from Square Enix so even better!

I'd like to give a tip if you decide to play this on PC. If your animation is running at double speed make sure V-sync is enabled. Also you can Pick up a motorcycle after it fell over but you need to stand in just the right spot.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

If you don't buy Sleeping Dogs at that price, you are literally worse than Dogeyes

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Sonel posted:

I'd like to give a tip if you decide to play this on PC. If your animation is running at double speed make sure V-sync is enabled. Also you can Pick up a motorcycle after it fell over but you need to stand in just the right spot.

I figured that out at some point, it just seems kinda weird that you have to be in just the right spot for it. :downs:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm interested in a game set in Hong Kong, especially since I visited family there about a month ago. Sadly I didn't get to see much due to getting terribly sick. Anyway, based on the videos I've watched so far, this game looks more like Yakuza than GTA, but then again I have little experience with both series.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

ChaosArgate posted:

Any edition other than PC download costs at least $8 in shipping, which sucks.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

You were right about 4 having a stigma in China, it sounds like the word for death in Chinese as well as Japanese, guess that's something that didn't really change when Japanese was developing as a language.

The word for 4 is: 四 which in Mandarin, is romanized as si, and pronounced kinda halfway between sih and suh with a sharp dropping tone. In Cantonese, which is the dialect spoken in Hong Kong, it's pronounced like 'say' or 'see' with a flat tone. (I don't speak Cantonese, so I'm going by what the dictionary I use says for Cantonese).

The word for death or to die is 死 , which in Mandarin and Cantonese is also romanized as si, and pronounced the same way in both dialects, except in Mandarin the tone falls then rises, while in Cantonese the tone is rising.

4s are skipped all over the place, whenever they can get away with it. Phone numbers that have 4s in it are sold for less than ones without. Phone numbers with 8, meanwhile, are luckier and sell for higher rates. 8 is lucky because the word for it, 'ba' 八 (baat in Cantonese), rhymes with the word for prosperity, 'fa' 发 (faat in Cantonese). License plates with 4s in them are also avoided and considered extremely unlucky.

Buildings tall enough to have a floor with a 4 in it in China, and even some buildings that try to cater to Chinese guests, will often not have the appropriate floor labeled with a 4. This goes for floors in the 40s as well.

In this picture, 13 is also skipped.

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 29, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
The game audio is really badly desynced in those videos.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

legoman727 posted:

The game audio is really badly desynced in those videos.

I didn't notice any while skipping around both versions of the last two vids. :shrug:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I'm not seeing anything on my end either. :shrug: Try a different browser, maybe?

Shadiiw
Apr 22, 2010
Same here, looks good on my end.

And love the videos, can't get enough sleeping dogs.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
I love the way Winston, Conroy and ..the other guy (Duke...?) all simultaneously looked at Ming in the most cartoonishly timed reaction to Wei's quick-witted logic.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah that'd be Duke.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Death by a Thousand Cuts was originally a DLC thing, but it was a bit different there. There was no poison (I'm pretty sure) and instead of 30 guys there was an endless horde of enemies for you to beat up. The mission only ended when you died, and you could use it to farm Triad EXP because you were able to play it as many times as you wanted..

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Wow the club seems real glitchy! Not only do you have the levitating guest, but to the left of the screen at the 08:06 mark you can see two ragdoll'd guests as well.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Oh Bullet time chaining. I like it when a game give incentive to keep on the move during firefights instead of hugging the wall, but it gets pretty silly here.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
So why was Conroy still doubting you when you've been stabbing/electrocuting/sticking people's heads in fans? I guess the guns are the first time you actually have to kill someone?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Smoky Bandana posted:

So why was Conroy still doubting you when you've been stabbing/electrocuting/sticking people's heads in fans? I guess the guns are the first time you actually have to kill someone?

Yeah, I suppose this is the first time we've explicitly killed anyone. You don't necessarily have to shove people into electric boxes or into fans so I suppose the game just pretends those guys are KO'd and not dead.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
Considering the various and sundry ways you can maim people, in some cases the idea that the mooks actually survived is almost worse than the idea that they died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Yeah Wei makes Vic Mackey look like some choir boy.

• Locked thread