Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Bobsledboy posted:

On the Serious Eats podcast he said the next book will most likely be a vegetarian one.

He's really fallen in love with the whole vegan thing as a chef, and I can understand it- restriction breeds creativity, and intentional veganism is a very new direction for food after all. What I am hoping is that after his vegetarian/vegan one he puts together one for the advanced home cook- something in between his first book and the $500 set of Modernist Cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
Modernist Cuisine at Home would be great for that if the price wasn't still about $180.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bobsledboy posted:

Modernist Cuisine at Home would be great for that if the price wasn't still about $180.

It's $105 from Amazon?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
There are things I feel bad about turning to :filez: for, but Modernist Cuisine at Home was, speaking theoretically, not one of them.

CrazySalamander posted:

What I am hoping is that after his vegetarian/vegan one he puts together one for the advanced home cook- something in between his first book and the $500 set of Modernist Cooking.

This sounds really good- Food Lab is nice, but it's a lot of relatively minor refinements of recipes and reprints and slightly amusing anecdotes. It's not necessarily a challenge- which is a kinda douchey way to talk about a cookbook, but it's not like I'm setting out to cook through this one. Something a step up would be nice.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

Steve Yun posted:

It's $105 from Amazon?

I'm in Australia. Shipping makes it about $200 AUD :emo:

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Wwwwwwwwwuhoh....

I did a bit of high temp sous viding (185+) on Wednesday in this new pot, w/ this lid. Left my Anova clamped on, but had it unplugged.

Today I plugged it in, it turned on as normal. But when I went to use the temperature wheel, it would ONLY dial the target temperature down. Also, the bluetooth pairing "ding" that it made was totally off.

Also noticed some moisture was being pushed out from between the temp wheel and its housing. So... I guess maybe by leaving the Anova latched onto the pot while the bath cooled off, that caused a bunch of condensation to form inside. :(

Unplugged it, took it out of the bath... now I've got it in front of a fan to try to air it out, I hope the damage isn't permanent.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've heard lots of Anova stories about moisture getting in. Seems like a serious design flaw.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I did bbq baby back ribs yesterday at 165f for 12 hours and it turned out absolutely amazing.

Process:

1. Rinse ribs and remove the membrane
2. Brush on a coat of molasses mixed with a little liquid aminos
3. Rub with salt, pepper, mustard powder, ground ancho chili pepper, cumin, coriander, thyme, rosemary, cayenne pepper, and brown sugar
4. Did a pre-sear just a bit with a searzall
5. Put in the bag with two table spoons of butter and two teaspoons of liquid smoke
6. Cook for 12 hours at 165f
7. Put on a cooling rack, dry with paper towels, brush on preferred bbq sauce, and carmelize bbq sauce with a few passes of the searzall

Best ribs I've ever had. The meat while coming off in layered flakes was still juicy and delicious.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've heard lots of Anova stories about moisture getting in. Seems like a serious design flaw.

Yeah; they seem to fix that on warranty but I and a handful of other people in this thread have posted basically that same story. It's inexcusable design for an electronic device that by definition hangs over a steaming body of water.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So what's the fix? Put tape over the vents? Make sure there's no gap in the lid on your sous vide container?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I just make sure I have a fan or vent blowing the condensation away from my Anova. :shrug:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Steve Yun posted:

So what's the fix? Put tape over the vents? Make sure there's no gap in the lid on your sous vide container?

I wrap a dishrag around the unit where the cooler lid is cut out to fit. I'm not sure it would be safe or sensible to cover the vent.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Made turchetta last night. It was sublime. I don't think I'll ever roast a turkey whole ever again.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Holiday sale, go go go!

http://store.anovaculinary.com/products/anova

http://store.anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Got a One for my parents house. It kills me to come home for the holidays and have no sous vide rig. Plus I prefer the One over the Precision and at $99 I couldn't say no

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Canadians looking to make use of those discounts, the One doesn't have free shipping but the Precision does. Shipping is $50 USD.

So it's cheaper to get the Precision.

:bravo:

e:
vvvvvvvv
No, not really. Comparison on Serious Eats, probably biased. :v:

Jan fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 24, 2015

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

is there any reason to upgrade an anova one? my wife bought me one when they first came out and i've had 0 issues doing a cook every week or so. i don't give a gently caress about bluetooth or wifi heating notifications if that helps

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Lux Aeterna posted:

is there any reason to upgrade an anova one? my wife bought me one when they first came out and i've had 0 issues doing a cook every week or so. i don't give a gently caress about bluetooth or wifi heating notifications if that helps

Nope. I use both of mine interchangeably.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Gah, I got excited for finally getting an Anova for myself, but the $50 for EU-plugs pushes it out of my price range (especially with the current unfavourable dollar exchange rate). :smith:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
A new challenger appears!

Frankly there's not too much about this that sways me away from my Anova, but if I didn't already have a circulator, I'd definitely give the Joule a closer look.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

100$ more than an Anova (once the cheap ones are gone), and you HAVE to use a phone to control it? No thanks.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

esperantinc posted:

and you HAVE to use a phone to control it

You don't actually.

E: never mind completely misread that statement, thought it was about the anova itself.

deimos fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 24, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

deimos posted:

You don't actually.

quote:

=
The thing chefs will really dig, however, is the software. Unlike other sous vide wands, the Joule doesn’t have a display. There’s an indicator light to tell you that it’s on, but everything else happens in a smartphone app.
The one thing I love at a home kitchen is being the only person who can "see" how a device is operating. I'm sure Chefs do as well.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Mr. Wookums posted:

The one thing I love at a home kitchen is being the only person who can "see" how a device is operating. I'm sure Chefs do as well.

Ooops, completely missed that post and misread his response.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Unfortunately for my Anova blue tooth immersion circulator the plastic clamp piece has broken with a nice split running down the center of the ring. Has anyone had any experience getting replacement parts from Anova? I can't see anywhere where you can just get a replacement for the clamp attachment. The actual circulator itself is undamaged and working just fine, I just need to replace the clamp.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

G-III posted:

Unfortunately for my Anova blue tooth immersion circulator the plastic clamp piece has broken with a nice split running down the center of the ring. Has anyone had any experience getting replacement parts from Anova? I can't see anywhere where you can just get a replacement for the clamp attachment. The actual circulator itself is undamaged and working just fine, I just need to replace the clamp.

You should just contact their support team. From what I understand, they are very generous with warranty replacements even when the warranty has expired.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Just talk to them, they're pretty nice.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mikey Purp posted:

A new challenger appears!

Frankly there's not too much about this that sways me away from my Anova, but if I didn't already have a circulator, I'd definitely give the Joule a closer look.

I like the small size of it and the 1100w, but this part from the article I don't get:

quote:

"For example, you can instruct it to heat a water bath to different temperatures at different times—useful if you’re cooking filets for a table where everyone prefers a different level of doneness."

If you want different levels of doneness, you have to remove the already-at-desired-temp pieces of meat from the water bath before it starts raising the temperature for the more well-done pieces, so you still need to be physically present. I don't see what the point of that is - am I missing something?

$299 MSRP (after the $199 promo ends) is quite a hefty price, too.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

I rather like the design of this thing, especially the thought given to preventing water intrusion and minimizing the size to fit in drawers. It will be a somewhat hard sell for $299, but after using various Anovas I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for a slightly more solidly built device I am confident will last longer. I am extremely wary about the long-term prospects of any device that relies on apps for control, though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I like it! I'll just wait for the price to drop to $150

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The magnet foot is very nice. An anova 1 with that foot would be an instant purchase for me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
LOL the video is practically a "there has to be a better way!" infomercial

Oh is it absolutely not going to stand up straight in a plastic container? I thought the omni-directional vent would keep it stable...

edit: oh, the intake is in the bottom, the vent is on the side. Hmm...

So far the Perfect Immersion Circulator doesn't exist, but we're getting closer. Being completely waterproof and less bulky is a big step forward, but requiring a smartphone is also a big step back. It's also weird that ChefSteps would do this because a lot of the appeal of their videos is that you can easily see what's cooking in their big plastic tubs.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 24, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay, so it says that you can use a clip so you don't necessarily have to use a metal pot

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, so it says that you can use a clip so you don't necessarily have to use a metal pot

Maybe you could use a baking steel under a plastic container and still have it work :v:

For the full surreal effect, use a container large enough that you can put a lid on over the cooker with just a hole for the cord.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Either you die a hero or you live long enough to never make Halflife 3

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I sold that guy one of my BMWs, why isn't he driving it

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
gently caress chefsteps

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Since I have two immersion circulators already I don't necessarily need one that can only be operated with a phone. However if it turns out to be better than the current lot in terms of getting water to temp faster then it's worthy to look into.

G-III fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Not sure until we test, but it's 1100w, compared to the Precision's 800w. The Precision definitely starts struggling when you approach 4-5 gallons.

The Anova One was 1000w