Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

EminusSleepus posted:

the lack of kool-aid of this backer is disturbing!

When reading this Star Citizen stuff and laughing at the crazy prices people paid for ships it's worth remembering that until recently the 2nd hand ship market was very active. So if you got interested in Star Citizen after August 2014 or couldn't afford a Phoenix during the sale, CIG encouraged you to believe you had missed the chance to own a spaceship with a hot tub. Therefore you assume that to really stay clean in space your best option was to buy it on the 2nd hand market and you might want to do it fast before the price goes to the moon.

So the Phoenix was selling there for $500-600. The normal guys who bought during the sale might believe they were deceived, the guys who bought on the 2nd hand market actually lost money too, if they are really enraged and have lost all faith in CIG, consider, no refunds of even the lower price, it was a gifted item and you can't even sell it without selling the full account and nobody wants full accounts. Triple screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Anyone want to learn about how to write Star Citizen fan fiction? I assure you that narrator of this audio guide has a very pleasant and soothing voice.

Star Citizen Lore - Audio version of Star Citizens Writer's Guide

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Has Lando or :lesnick: issued any pretzel logic responses to those who are upset about the sale? That's always my favorite part.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Has Lando or :lesnick: issued any pretzel logic responses to those who are upset about the sale? That's always my favorite part.

Apart from Lando effort posting a couple of days ago about the Phoenix, they're ignoring, sale is too important. Anything they say will just draw more attention to it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2GwrR-4Q9E&t=46s

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 25, 2015

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

When reading this Star Citizen stuff and laughing at the crazy prices people paid for ships it's worth remembering that until recently the 2nd hand ship market was very active. So if you got interested in Star Citizen after August 2014 or couldn't afford a Phoenix during the sale, CIG encouraged you to believe you had missed the chance to own a spaceship with a hot tub. Therefore you assume that to really stay clean in space your best option was to buy it on the 2nd hand market and you might want to do it fast before the price goes to the moon.

So the Phoenix was selling there for $500-600. The normal guys who bought during the sale might believe they were deceived, the guys who bought on the 2nd hand market actually lost money too, if they are really enraged and have lost all faith in CIG, consider, no refunds of even the lower price, it was a gifted item and you can't even sell it without selling the full account and nobody wants full accounts. Triple screwed.

I used to game /r/starcitizen_trades like D3 AH. Made myself quite a few :10bux:. But with the unmelt and CCU options coming from their own store, i think its in CIG's interest to ensure money starts flowing to them.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Breetai posted:

Dear citizens reading this thread.

Please do not get mad about video games, as they are just toys, for children.

Agreed

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

brilliant

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

I used to game /r/starcitizen_trades like D3 AH. Made myself quite a few :10bux:. But with the unmelt and CCU options coming from their own store, i think its in CIG's interest to ensure money starts flowing to them.

The rarity thing helped them though, people felt better about spending $600 on a 890 Jump believing if they changed their mind they'd be able to sell it later for $1000. That's something that's hard to put a value on of a benefit to CIG, bitcoin is the closest comparison (yet again). CIG is trashing the market now, absolutely killing it but it was dying anyway as people figured out everything except the scythe and idris m would be sold again no matter how much CIG hinted it wouldn't.

August/September 2013, people thought they wouldn't sell any of the normal limited ships like the m50 and 350R again, $100 350R was selling for $280. November 2013 they sold it again and highest it ever went to after that was ~$180, they've sold it several times since, sold it yesterday, selling it again this whole weekend, people don't even cause a fuss about it anymore. Anyone who bought on the 2nd hand market got screwed in some way and thousands did.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Whenever I Saw Your Ship played on his jukebox my friend would say, "I saw your ship" and I would get confused and think he just flew by me and I didn't notice or something.

I'm gay.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The orchestra they used is this one: http://www.capellen.cz/english/5M_01.htm

I tried googling for a rough price to hire them, but came up blank. Being Czech based, they are a hell of a lot cheaper than using a Hollywood studio, but they still won't come cheap.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Agrajag posted:

what the hell is the difference between all those?

Constellation Taurus: $150 Scrub Tier Model. Only one turret, no parasite fighter, more cargo space because cargo is for scrubs. Possibly may have ability to open up the back. Possibly may have ability to have more turrets added, who knows what you think we figured this poo poo out?

Constellation Andromeda: Former "space superiority fighter" now jack-of-all-trades "Multi-Function" Chris Roberts Mary Sue Spectacular. It has cargo! It has turrets! It can carry forty eight loving missiles on these badass swing out arms! It has massive gimballed guns! It carries a snub fighter! It's everything you want in a ship and more! Only $225! For that price holy poo poo buy two!

Constellation Aquila: $250 exploration variant. Notable for having a round cockpit instead of whatever the gently caress the other ones have. Only one turret because the other is replaced by a sensor package thingy. Carries a rover because why the gently caress not. Has more fuel... somehow. No parasite fighter.

Constellation Phoenix: $350 limited quantity LUXURY JPEG. Wood interior! Better power plant than the commoner ships which you can't otherwise get! All the missiles of the Andromeda, plus the rover of the Aquila, plus an EVEN BETTER parasite fighter, plus a automatic point-defense gun that you can't otherwise get, PLUS A MOTHERFUCKING HOT TUB HOLY poo poo SELL AN ORGAN ALREADY AND BUY ONE.

The best part about the Phoenix is that most spergs don't give a poo poo about the luxury interior, and have repeatedly asked CIG if they can strip out the crap and still keep the better stats. The reason for this is because, back when this poo poo was sold to people, CIG established that certain things were locked to the hull and could never change. Most notably hardpoints and power plant maximums. So a lot of people, seeing the Constellation as the Mary Sue Millennium Serenity Enterprise, saw the stats of the Phoenix and knew that if they wanted the BEST Mary Sue Millenium Serenity Enterprise that they would have to shell out the big bucks. That CIG made the best Constellation a luxury variant is perfectly indicative of just how tone deaf they are. Or how nefariously ruthless they are at extracting nerd funds. Probably the latter.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wait wait

Some dude lurked SA for 4 whole years just to make his first posts be a meltdown over this lovely-rear end console-as-gently caress space game?

And I missed it?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

"If you haven't seen this part of the game it will blow your mind!"

Plays some pre-recorded messages in the spooky, empty space-station, enters the space-elevator, and gets teleported a mile away from the station.

"okay"

"I must go, my people need me"

*crash*

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Will there be controls to keep undesireables out of the Million Mile High Club?

I can accept a black man as a door bouncer as long as he is will dressed and trained to be congenial. But I don't want them in the club itself.

Especially if they don't shave "down there".

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
Alabama?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Wait wait

Some dude lurked SA for 4 whole years just to make his first posts be a meltdown over this lovely-rear end console-as-gently caress space game?

And I missed it?

You're going to need to wait another two full pages to watch someones life collapse before your very eyes.

You poor bastard.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dusty Lens posted:

You're going to need to wait another two full pages to watch someones life collapse before your very eyes.

You poor bastard.

I am outraged and disappointed

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

thread complete

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Wait wait

And I missed it?

u think this is loving game m8? Chris Robgbers is playing long game. He has infiltraitored u goons at all level. bddsse ackbar, Bddsse Ackbar, BDSSE ACKBAR!!!!!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Raticus79 posted:

People are still getting frequent crashes, but the option to go straight from the menu to the Crusader station without needing to go through the hangar speeds things up at least.

Yeah, that didn't last long. Eventually, like "helmet-gate", everyone will see just how much time and money has been wasted on all poo poo like this. Because fidelity.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Don't let them win!

No. He's not posting as much because my guess is, he's a classy guy who got his money back and is just fine with it.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Wait wait

And I missed it?

me too and it feels bad

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Didn't even realize those were his first posts. Gonna have to up my rating to B+ at least then

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Constellation Taurus: $150 Scrub Tier Model. Only one turret, no parasite fighter, more cargo space because cargo is for scrubs. Possibly may have ability to open up the back. Possibly may have ability to have more turrets added, who knows what you think we figured this poo poo out?

Constellation Andromeda: Former "space superiority fighter" now jack-of-all-trades "Multi-Function" Chris Roberts Mary Sue Spectacular. It has cargo! It has turrets! It can carry forty eight loving missiles on these badass swing out arms! It has massive gimballed guns! It carries a snub fighter! It's everything you want in a ship and more! Only $225! For that price holy poo poo buy two!

Constellation Aquila: $250 exploration variant. Notable for having a round cockpit instead of whatever the gently caress the other ones have. Only one turret because the other is replaced by a sensor package thingy. Carries a rover because why the gently caress not. Has more fuel... somehow. No parasite fighter.

Constellation Phoenix: $350 limited quantity LUXURY JPEG. Wood interior! Better power plant than the commoner ships which you can't otherwise get! All the missiles of the Andromeda, plus the rover of the Aquila, plus an EVEN BETTER parasite fighter, plus a automatic point-defense gun that you can't otherwise get, PLUS A MOTHERFUCKING HOT TUB HOLY poo poo SELL AN ORGAN ALREADY AND BUY ONE.

The best part about the Phoenix is that most spergs don't give a poo poo about the luxury interior, and have repeatedly asked CIG if they can strip out the crap and still keep the better stats. The reason for this is because, back when this poo poo was sold to people, CIG established that certain things were locked to the hull and could never change. Most notably hardpoints and power plant maximums. So a lot of people, seeing the Constellation as the Mary Sue Millennium Serenity Enterprise, saw the stats of the Phoenix and knew that if they wanted the BEST Mary Sue Millenium Serenity Enterprise that they would have to shell out the big bucks. That CIG made the best Constellation a luxury variant is perfectly indicative of just how tone deaf they are. Or how nefariously ruthless they are at extracting nerd funds. Probably the latter.

the frustration shows.

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, that didn't last long. Eventually, like "helmet-gate", everyone will see just how much time and money has been wasted on all poo poo like this. Because fidelity.

hi Derek, I like you.

I like Chris too, though.

what do I do?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

janssendalt posted:

the frustration shows.

The perils of once having believed in the croberts

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

janssendalt posted:

hi Derek, I like you.

I like Chris too, though.

what do I do?

There are special tables you can strap into.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

how nefariously ruthless they are at extracting nerd funds.

I admit I fell for this.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
i'm gonna show those goons just how stupid they really are *pays $1000 for a jpeg*

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

This ship has 2 size 3 hardpoints while this other one has a size5! CIG what do you think about the size 6 on the frigate class star destroyer ship?

lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

looking around the internet there's a buncha basic-rear end posers running around thinking that people only started making fun of Star Citizen when Derek Smart wrote his first blog, smh

we've been making GBS threads on SC for years

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dapper Dan posted:

I believe so since the lawsuit is based on the TOS, which have been held up in civil court. The product is the game as promised, which hasn't been released. I think they have a responsibility to show where the money has gone. $90 Million+ for a tech demo is unacceptable.

Also CIG will prevent this lawsuit from going forward with every breath, they'll collapse before this even goes to court.

Yes - we know. Which is why a bunch of very expensive attorneys are mulling over how best to approach this. I'm not inclined to march into court just to say I did, piss away all that money (I have $100K in retainers committed across three law firms. Believe it. These things are not cheap. Been there)

The biggest thing we're dealing with now, is a technicality over the arbitration clause (in the ToS). Since there are three ToS which apply to three different classes of people depending on when they pledged, one wrong move and they can get any lawsuit tossed and dropped into arbitration. Not that I care, but they would see it as a "win" (even though it won't be) and it will just have burned legal bills. And if it gets tossed down to arbitration, they can get awarded costs by the judge.

Arbitration is not bad, but it has some rules which could end up not allowing the public to know wtf is going on; which will defeat the purpose. Which is why we don't want to go that route if at all possible.

Yes - I'm putting this all in the public domain because, why the gently caress not? This whole farce was started in the public domain and there shouldn't be any secrets. I'm not doing this to "win". I'm doing this to bring accountability to a project that, for the most part, involved not only lies, but also borders on fraudulent inducement depending on how the law ends up interpreting what happened. They sealed our fate when, instead of letting me vent, they decided to make it personal. Now they're hosed because they've got my attention. And I"m semi-retired with nothing better to do with my spare time but to work diligently to prove that I'm right. Even if they fold in the coming months, it won't matter because the public will still need to see those financials.

I will never - ever - let them get away with this. I don't care how long it takes nor what it costs.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

The Saddest Robot posted:

Will there be controls to keep undesireables out of the Million Mile High Club?
What baffles me is that, by calling it the "Million Mile High" club, they're directly alluding to the "Mile High Club", which is slang for people having sex in a plane in flight.

Yet the "Million Mile High" club is exclusively males-- and the staff of the club (the white bartender and black bouncer) are all male. They paid $10000 or more to join the most exclusive virtual sausage fest that sci-fi gaming has to offer. So why invoke the possibility of sex when it's all but certain it will just be yet another gathering of dudes hanging out not getting space laid?

"The Milliom Mile High Club: where nobody gets laid but everybody gets screwed."

G0RF fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 25, 2015

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

What baffles me is that, by calling it the "Million Mile High" club, they're directly alluding to the "Mile High Club", which is slang for people having sex in a plane in flight.

Yet the "Million Mile High" club is exclusively males-- and the staff of the club (the white bartender and black bouncer) are all male. They paid $10000 or more to join the most exclusive virtual sausage fest that sci-fi gaming has to offer.

"The Milliom Mile High Club: where nobody gets laid but everybody gets screwed."

I'm looking forward to all the high fidelity docking that'll be happening in the million mile high club.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

Approaching the atmosphere of a planet or moon too closely will result in your ship receiving a warning, and if you continue flying toward it for too long, your ship will begin to rattle apart and be destroyed.

They gated it. Here's why:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=490#post453017078

ps: Yes, I'm loving genius at this poo poo.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHIGB6w6yRs

e. holy gently caress someone else posted it first.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 25, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

no_recall posted:

Yeah, I think this is the case with the sudden abrupt move into "alpha". the Jury doesn't care if it's "prealpha", "alpha", "beta" whatever. All that matters is we can purchase, login and play. In this promised 16 player instanced world where you can, board your ship, fly with your friends, do missions, jump in and out of your ship, and has 1 million km square of play space. And that's what matters, in context CR did achieve what he set out to do; you can argue with the points Derek has raised up but I don't think he has much to stand on.

Unless Derek can prove us wrong.

I hope you're making GBS threads me. Have you see this list?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have lost conciousness and can see Derek in my minds eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Maybe the average layperson won't know anything about games, but mis-managing funds is very different.

"Why did Sandi need several tens of thousands of dollars to travel, go on vacation, finance her 'acting' career, etc?"

That's the important part that most people are missing. This is more about the finances than it is about the game. And the finances will end up in discovery long before the discussion about the game gets underway.

• Locked thread