Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have ascended onto a higher plain and am at peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I'm sure you've seen the list of all the things Chris Roberts has promised up to this point. Court proceedings aren't so simple as showing the jury the game and having them go back to the jury room, case dismissed. They have to defend they've implemented the content they've promised item by item. This is assuming, of course, things ever get that far. It seems to me that there are larger things at stake than the content put in the game, but it's an important foothold to get the ball rolling.

I am running through 25+ pages. But you are right. I just responded to specifically this point you just made. And you're spot on.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poG3Wvb8FU8

I just listened to this, I love philharmonics and orchestra, but somehow the writing falls flat. It tries but, if SC is some kinda space opera epic that's supposed to be Black Ops / Top Gun in space, the music seems too whimsical for it. It feels more in place as some kinda generic Fantasy MMO piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6jmSHloaBs

I'm just talking out of my rear end here as a regular joe gamer.

e: here's elites https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYn3CPfSIuw

no_recall fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 25, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

G0RF posted:

What baffles me is that, by calling it the "Million Mile High" club, they're directly alluding to the "Mile High Club", which is slang for people having sex in a plane in flight.

Yet the "Million Mile High" club is exclusively males-- and the staff of the club (the white bartender and black bouncer) are all male. They paid $10000 or more to join the most exclusive virtual sausage fest that sci-fi gaming has to offer. So why invoke the possibility of sex when it's all but certain it will just be yet another gathering of dudes hanging out not getting space laid?

That's what NCPs* are for.

* nonconsensual partners

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Nicholas posted:

i'm gonna show those goons just how stupid they really are *pays $1000 for a jpeg*

OH GOD those captains of auditors foiled me again

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

PTU 2.0.0b attempts: same mission- spawn retaliator, fly to nearby station, get out.

Attempt 1: Oh, they added some menu backgrounds, that's nice. The new "Universe" option on the main menu means you don't have to load the hangar just to walk to the drat elevator which is a nice time saver. Loaded into the game, noticed a bunch of new text spam about missions added to a "Journal" which I do not know how to access. I was one of the first into the server- got a retaliator spawned and managed to get into it without falling through the floor! Began experiencing the 5-second-stutter bug, which I'm beginning to think happens as more people join the instance or possibly as more ships are spawned, one of the two. Flew the ship off the pad before hitting the external view camera which caused my controls to disconnect and put me into permanent I-want-to-look-at-the-HUD-displays mode. Within a minute, full game crash occurred.

Attempt 2: Got in first again. I'm noticing a really weird flickering effect that wasn't present yesterday, whenever I first load in- I think it may be due to SLI which I've just turned on. In any case it always clears up by the time I exit the first room. Sprinted to launch pad and got myself quantummed out of the starting area in a vain attempt to get away from the landing pad before people loading in caused it to crash- no dice. During the stutter-stop-stutter-stop period I got to play a little with launching the retaliator's telephone-pole sized torpedos at some unsuspecting raiders. That was amusing, but it's a bit frustrating that the pilot doesn't have any of the guns slaved automatically- that thing is going to be drat near defenseless when flown solo. The HUD is much more extensive than I realized- there are screens all over the ceiling and console that you can only see if you turn on mouse look and they're all interactive. Some very cool opportunities there. Game crashed before I could clear pirates out.

Attempts 3-4: Server full! Time out! Error messages still require a full exit from game.

Attempt 5: Decide "gently caress it" and board a Constellation with some other players. Some immediate observations: there's apparently location-based body damage, as I discovered when I jumped off a cliff (in zero-g) and snapped my ankles on impact with the deck below. Ouch. Also apparently there's a flashlight on the helmet? Somebody had his on. The stuttering is definitely server side- every time it comes back from a freeze, everyone's in the same position they'd been standing in 5 seconds prior. Got to the turret section of the Constellation and hit F to use- animation played, and I was immediately ejected through the roof of the ship. BOING. Before I could fly back around it had despawned leaving one other very confused player standing on the deck. Then the server crashed.

Attempt 6: Time out!

Attempt 7: Jump in a gladius because it's slightly faster off the launch pad, get to quantum again. I'm seeing a lot of the same faces and everyone seems to always be in the middle of respawn when I load in- so I do a poll. Nobody's managing to stay connected for more than a couple minutes at a time. It appears to just be the same group of us getting disconnected over and over again, basically. Someone tells me that F9 is the key for the mobiglass which contains journal stuff- sure enough there it is amidst a bunch of non functional stuff. Looks nice, but it'll be hell on any mmo modder trying to make a more efficient interface. Oh well. Server crashes as I attempt to engage pirates.

Attempt 8: Fun new game- hitting F9 while in locked animations turns on the mobiglass. Since it's glued to your characters face due to terrible design decisions, it spazzes out all over the loving place as your character gets out of bed or climbs a ladder. Highly entertaining. Spawned a retaliator but when I got to the pad it wasn't there. Boarded connie instead. Attempted to use mobiglass to identify the pilots but it was much more interested about giving me details and prices of their sidearms(?) instead. Watching the constellation take off while standing over the pilot's shoulder was a truly cool moment- lessened somewhat by the game then crashing seconds later. I noticed that you can't actually see the pilot or copilot HUD screens when you're not in the chairs- wonder if that's intentional.

At that point the writing was on the wall for the night so I gave up.

Mission Status: Consistently closer, but not by much.

Summary/Final Thoughts: I wouldn't really say that tonight was any more playable than last night- the experience was a lot smoother, but that is mostly because the extra set of hangar loading screens was gone. The only noticeably bug fix was that I no longer fell through floors. One guy reported getting to play upwards of 20 minutes without crashing but I am highly skeptical and truly I'm wondering how any of the streamers manage to do it- I wonder if some people aren't flagged for private servers with less traffic. Again, lots of cool interfaces and observable touches that you can't really spend any time exploring because the game is so goddamn unplayably unstable that everyone is literally in a race to get to their ships for the 1-2 minutes of test time before the server crashes and you start it all over again. Some people have been doing that for 2 days straight- such is the dedication of Star Citizens, I guess.

$96m

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ZenMaster posted:

Sarsaparilla, I really dig your posts. Just wanted you to know. :)

Same. They're awesome.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Gryphon0468 posted:

Jesus Christ when will you retards realize it's not 90million spent, it's 96million raised for development.

...oh right. And they haven't spent any of it. Got it.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

They feed off the faith of the believers. That's all they need.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Could someone explain "Parp" to me? I honestly do not understand it and can't find reference elsewhere.

This thread is so loving entertaining and I'm late to the party. I'm honest to goodness astounded that star citizen fanboys don't realize that people have been mocking this project since it was first announced, as the follow-up to failed movie director Chris Roberts (previously failed video game designer) latest game. As a reminder, the only reason people went to see his lovely movie was so they could see the Star Wars Episode 1 trailer. Then they all left the loving theater. That's not exactly a sterling record of success.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Derek didn't you know development includes "expanding" like getting new offices, building mocap studios, having the boss wife go on auditions, and other things that are completely necesary for a game

Don't you know anything about business derek? It's completely fine to treat development funding as profits to be used for expansion.

Gosh derek.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
In retrospect, here's Elite's "Alpha 2.0"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDWnBJYTFgs

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

I have ascended onto a higher plain and am at peace

D_Smart posted:

No. He's not posting as much because my guess is, he's a classy guy who got his money back and is just fine with it.

I still like the occasional shitpost.

The truth is this is no longer my story. I, an investor, exited. That's part of the whole SC story. I'm no different from say Eric Peterson leaving, just a footnote in a long list of symptoms.

The wasteful spending, the employee abuse, the gross mismanagement, the promises, the incompetence...

That's Smart's story to tell.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I've never actually read the stretch goals page properly before, holy poo poo they are more doomed than I thought. They've already skipped a ton of the early poo poo and some of this I've never seen mentioned anywhere.

quote:

Build professional sound studios. We’ll move Star Citizen’s sound production from a home office to high tech facilities that will give us access to cutting edge sound effects and Hollywood voice talent!

The sound design is pretty good - but why isn't this being shown off? Oh right, movie.

quote:

The Hangar Module will feature Oculus Rift support.

BUT THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH CRYENGINE (no it isn't)

quote:

Professional mod tools will be provided free to all players.

I cannot see how this will work. They'll never allow players to unpick the tapestry of lies they've woven. I doubt they can even extract the cryengine dev tools they've patched, hacked and modified from the giant weird build system.

quote:

Tablet companion application to check on your inventory, commission or find missions and get the galactic news feed.

iOS? Android? Mobile development for a million (:v:) players and all their myriad devices, surely that can't take longer than two weeks?

quote:

The RSI webcast will feature a monthly Town Hall Q&A with Chris Roberts

10 for the Chairman is not a Town Hall Q&A. If it were a proper town hall setup, he would be heckled back into the 80s.

quote:

Professional-quality feature-length “Behind the Scenes of Star Citizen” documentary film.

Sign me the gently caress up. Do they have a full time film crew following Sandi around? Probably not the best idea. She'd have to be both in the office and not shouting at minorities. Roll tape.

quote:

Arena mode: The next generation of Wing Commander’s TrainSim allows pilots to test out their combat skills against friends or strangers in a simulation. Gain valuable combat experience without the downside of losing your ship in the game universe! Place bets on competitions across the galaxy.

Place bets? Using UEC purchased with USD? Isn't that regulated somehow?!

quote:

Manage Space Stations – Players will compete to own and operate a limited number of space stations across the galaxy.

Has anyone seen this mentioned? They can't own and operate a single seat ship right now let alone a station.

quote:

RSI Museum will air monthly, with a new game featured each time!

Where is it?

quote:

Procedural Generation R&D Team – This stretch goal will allocate funding for Cloud Imperium to develop procedural generation technology for future iterations of Star Citizen. Advanced procedural generation will be necessary for creating entire planets worth of exploration and development content. A special strike team of procedural generation-oriented developers will be assembled to make this technology a reality.

I thought procedural generation was the devil according to SC dogma? EVERYTHING MUST BE HAND CRAFTED. GET ON MY LEVEL YOU E:D PEASANTS etc

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

AlmightyPants posted:

Could someone explain "Parp" to me? I honestly do not understand it and can't find reference elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJZbPI5nKE

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

AlmightyPants posted:

This thread is so loving entertaining and I'm late to the party. I'm honest to goodness astounded that star citizen fanboys don't realize that people have been mocking this project since it was first announced, as the follow-up to failed movie director Chris Roberts (previously failed video game designer) latest game. As a reminder, the only reason people went to see his lovely movie was so they could see the Star Wars Episode 1 trailer. Then they all left the loving theater. That's not exactly a sterling record of success.

It's the UK sound for a fart, I believe. It was chosen as the perfect description of the sound made by the :yarg: pic of Gawry Oldman

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Of course they killed the original thread real quick. But here's an entire archive

https://archive.is/yR2Pp

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Space Trader: Merchant Marine is still a better, more full featured game than Star Citizen will ever be.

Also this game:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

D_Smart posted:

That's the important part that most people are missing. This is more about the finances than it is about the game. And the finances will end up in discovery long before the discussion about the game gets underway.

I realize that I'm like months late on TOS chat, but I'm actually a little curious. I want to see the financials too, but after actually looking at their [url=https://web.archive.org/web/20130921105506/https://robertsspaceindustries.com/tos]old tos[/url]:

quote:

RSI agrees to use its good faith business efforts to deliver to you the pledge items and the Game on or before the estimated delivery date. However, you acknowledge and agree that delivery as of such date is not a promise by RSI since unforeseen events may extend the development and/or production time. Accordingly, you agree that any unearned portion of the deposit shall not be refundable until and unless RSI has failed to deliver the pledge items and/or the Game to you within 12 months after the estimated delivery date.

quote:

For the avoidance of doubt, in consideration of RSI’s good faith efforts to develop, produce, and deliver the Game with the funds raised, you agree that any deposit amounts applied against the Pledge Item Cost and the Game Cost as described above shall be non-refundable regardless of whether or not RSI is able to complete and deliver the Game and/or the pledge items. In the unlikely event that RSI is not able to deliver the Game and/or the pledge items, RSI agrees to post an audited cost accounting on its website to fully explain the use of the deposits for the Game Cost and the Pledge Item Cost. In consideration of the promises by RSI hereunder, you agree to irrevocably waive any claim for refund of any deposit amount that has been used for the Game Cost and Pledge Item Cost in accordance with the above.

I'm not remotely a lawyer, but these don't read as connected to me, despite the thread making it sound like they were-- there's "we'll allow refunds a year after our missed release", and "we'll release financials if we fail to deliver", but not "we'll release financials if we miss our release by a year". So if you successfully argue that ToS v1.2 is invalid for some backers and we should go by ToS 1.1, isn't CIG basically in the clear if they say "We've been offering refunds already, and we've just released 2.0 not a week ago so we're obviously still making a good faith effort to deliver our Game and/or pledge items" without ever getting into the question of financials?

Or do you actually have enough to actually bring them to court over the misspent funds alone? It sounded like the TOS was the crux here.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bootcha posted:

The truth is this is no longer my story. I, an investor, exited. That's part of the whole SC story. I'm no different from say Eric Peterson leaving, just a footnote in a long list of symptoms.

The wasteful spending, the employee abuse, the gross mismanagement, the promises, the incompetence...

and because i made a moderate effortpost: don't leave yourself out, friend bootcha, this is all our story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozeszesBXJM

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

FOR THE REFERRALS!!!

Wyld
Sep 2, 2015

Fun Shoe
My giddy anticipation is for a game of the same sort of Ark or H1Z1 playable'ness in the near future (2 weeks) and then on that glorious day the Goons arrive on the gates of that game and then claim every station available (1 but 1000+ more soon). And then with the zeal and passion of true gamers they steal every GD spaceship and hold them hostage that we can make any and all that say the drat phrase 'I want to fly my connie' feel the sweet warm glow of how much their backer donations have led them to a realm of hell.

I also want zombies... Xmas is coming. I can't wait.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

EminusSleepus posted:

FOR THE REFERRALS!!!

what a doozy.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

what a doozy.

the part where he said, it is a skill based game and no point and click...he might be referring to another game.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

Of course they killed the original thread real quick. But here's an entire archive

At this point I'm convinced that CR could just come out and say "there's not gonna be any FPS" and there would be no lack of people posting "stop bitching you special snowflake, where does it say that FPS was definitely going to be part of the game?"

Ravane posted:

Space Trader: Merchant Marine is still a better, more full featured game than Star Citizen will ever be.

Also this game:

This looks fun, what's it called?

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

AP posted:

When do you think you'll be flying your Banu Merchantman and your Caterpillar? Do you have any other ships?

When the game releases probably in late 2016 along with my 5 other ships. Not all a once of course that'd be silly.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

I know, who would moderate the living poo poo out of say, their steam forums? I am against heavy-handed moderation.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gryphon0468 posted:

When the game releases probably in late 2016 along with my 5 other ships. Not all a once of course that'd be silly.

stockholm_syndrome.txt

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Here is the state of all the announced ships.

They'll get to the big ones any day now.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Gryphon0468 posted:

you are seriously considering a thought that the baby PU will eventually grow into puberty and gets released as PU this 2016?

I applaud your enthusiasm but I am sorry to say that is just plain stupid.

NOW PROVE ME WRONG CR!

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

trucutru posted:

Here is the state of all the announced ships.

They'll get to the big ones any day now.

I love it how they accurately modeled the Caterpillar! down to the last pixel

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

@Gryphon0468 would you help released me from my agony and buy my account which has $40 RSI credits in it for $45 including paypal.

you will be helping both RSI and me if you do it!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Bootcha posted:

If you don't mind me asking, Bootcha, was it the employee abuse that tipped the scale for you- once you started digging deeper? Or was it more the sum total of managerial misdeeds? It seemed like the former-- like you didn't want to stay in business with those sorts- regardless of whether it might make you money.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

this is how I see the current development of SC

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I realize that I'm like months late on TOS chat, but I'm actually a little curious. I want to see the financials too, but after actually looking at their [url=https://web.archive.org/web/20130921105506/https://robertsspaceindustries.com/tos]old tos[/url]:

I'm not remotely a lawyer, but these don't read as connected to me, despite the thread making it sound like they were-- there's "we'll allow refunds a year after our missed release", and "we'll release financials if we fail to deliver", but not "we'll release financials if we miss our release by a year". So if you successfully argue that ToS v1.2 is invalid for some backers and we should go by ToS 1.1, isn't CIG basically in the clear if they say "We've been offering refunds already, and we've just released 2.0 not a week ago so we're obviously still making a good faith effort to deliver our Game and/or pledge items" without ever getting into the question of financials?

Or do you actually have enough to actually bring them to court over the misspent funds alone? It sounded like the TOS was the crux here.
In Europe/Aus/etc it's impossible to TOS away consumer rights like refunds so that's completely irrelevant, and they can't just hold up a copy of Babby's Buggy Bumper Buggies in court as evidence of a good faith effort - they have to prove they didn't just squirt out something, anything at all, in a bad faith effort to weasel out of their commitments.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

MeLKoR posted:

At this point I'm convinced that CR could just come out and say "there's not gonna be any FPS" and there would be no lack of people posting "stop bitching you special snowflake, where does it say that FPS was definitely going to be part of the game?"

Octopode was claiming there was never any intention for an independent FPS module the day after CIG announced it was delayed indefinitely. so yea.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ghostlight posted:

In Europe/Aus/etc it's impossible to TOS away consumer rights like refunds so that's completely irrelevant, and they can't just hold up a copy of Babby's Buggy Bumper Buggies in court as evidence of a good faith effort - they have to prove they didn't just squirt out something, anything at all, in a bad faith effort to weasel out of their commitments.

Right, but that's what I mean: even without the ToS thing they've been giving out refunds* , so you can't say "I didn't get my refund" ("timely refunds" may be arguable, but that's a whole other :can:), and I'd say the 2.0 that they managed to poo poo out-- even with the crashes-- would convince 11/12 jury members that they have progression on game development. Call in an expert witness to testify how long it takes to make a AAA game, compare the scope lists of them vs Star Citizen, and you'd have a pretty hard time convincing even an educated layperson that they've been pissing away the money on coke and booze instead of game development ("in addition to" is also another :can:).

So both :can:s kind of revolve around the question of "Do you have enough proof of wrongdoing to bring them to court and reveal their financials without relying on the 1.1 ToS", from my random layperson point of view. Obviously if the answer is "yes" then there probably won't be any MD5'd hand-tipping this time around, but I do want to know what the plan here is, or if I've missed something obvious in my light skimming reading.

* You know if anyone on Twitter accused CIG of refusing them refunds outright, Doc Smart would be outside their window with a boombox singing "join my lawsuit" in a heartbeat

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
They didn't actually say you would be able to do anything so gently caress you haterz

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Octopode was claiming there was never any intention for an independent FPS module the day after CIG announced it was delayed indefinitely. so yea.

There literally never has been, and still isn't, an intention for an independent FPS module. Star Marine was and still is planned as another subgame within the game, just like Arena Commander. I don't know where you got this idea that there was going to be an independent FPS game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Right, but that's what I mean: even without the ToS thing they've been giving out refunds* , so you can't say "I didn't get my refund" ("timely refunds" may be arguable, but that's a whole other :can:), and I'd say the 2.0 that they managed to poo poo out-- even with the crashes-- would convince 11/12 jury members that they have progression on game development. Call in an expert witness to testify how long it takes to make a AAA game, compare the scope lists of them vs Star Citizen, and you'd have a pretty hard time convincing even an educated layperson that they've been pissing away the money on coke and booze instead of game development ("in addition to" is also another :can:).

So both :can:s kind of revolve around the question of "Do you have enough proof of wrongdoing to bring them to court and reveal their financials without relying on the 1.1 ToS", from my random layperson point of view. Obviously if the answer is "yes" then there probably won't be any MD5'd hand-tipping this time around, but I do want to know what the plan here is, or if I've missed something obvious in my light skimming reading.

* You know if anyone on Twitter accused CIG of refusing them refunds outright, Doc Smart would be outside their window with a boombox singing "join my lawsuit" in a heartbeat

This is basically a repost but:

here's the list of things they've promised to be in the game thus far: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

They're going to have to go through the list point by point. They aren't just going to present a game to the jury, ask them if they see a game in front of them, and case dismissed. If CIG claims in court that every item on that list is in the game they will be in serious, serious poo poo.

I know the average juror won't be super gaming literate, but everyone's had to deal with snake oil once or twice in their lives.

• Locked thread