Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

What year do the Space Aztecs conquer the Andalites? I want that bookmark.

You're rooting for the wrong culture.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inca_%28video_game%29

500 years after Huayna Capac's death would make the date 2027.
Little do we all realize a golden man will rise and unite earth to face the space conquistadors in just a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

As far as we know, any FTL travel is pretty much fantasy, not sf. If so, then colonizing the stars will be a slow, plodding affair and communication will be lightspeed only. Would make for a boring game though, unless Vernor Vinge directed it.

I'd rather games have communications and travel faster than reality than slower! Ever try sailing a fleet across the Mediterranean in a Total War game? A month long voyage can take decades!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Does Total War have realistic communication speed? I've always wondered if that could be implemented in a fun way in Paradox games, with local NPCs making some of the decisions for your farflung provinces and armies.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
At least then when the AI does something stupid you could pretend it was just because a rider got hit in the neck by a random arrow and the orders never went through.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Jabor posted:

To be fair though, every other paradox game also ignores how long it would realistically take to send information from end of your realm to the other.

If you say "bonii" at one end of the realm, a goon at the other end of the realm winces simultaneously. It's FTL communication!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Are there 28 days in space-February?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Well the name of the game isn't Xeno Univeralis :rolleyes:

We need a :grogsay: emote.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Cyteen was founded before they invented FTL travel
:goonsay:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Maybe Hearts of Iron 4 will actually of been released by 2200.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Alchenar posted:

Are there 28 days in space-February?

They fixed that in HOI4 IIRC

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tuskin38 posted:

They fixed that in HOI4 IIRC

Actually a serious question. Maybe we mark years by reference to Earth because shut up that's the only frame of reference the customer has, but maybe space-months can all be the same length because it saves having to remember which arbitrary number of days there are in this month.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
No - In much the same way other sci-fi/fantasy creators go all spergy and invent new religions and entire languages I expect the Stellaris devs to come up with a whole new method of measuring time and distance, just for this game. And it changes depending on the oribital period and speed of rotation for your race's homeworld.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Psychotic Weasel posted:

No - In much the same way other sci-fi/fantasy creators go all spergy and invent new religions and entire languages I expect the Stellaris devs to come up with a whole new method of measuring time and distance, just for this game. And it changes depending on the oribital period and speed of rotation for your race's homeworld.

Stellaris should give all distances in terms of lightyears, without telling the player that it varies based on how long it takes for your randomly generated race's homeworld to orbit its star.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Stardates, it's the only way.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The date system should obviously change depending on which part of the galaxy you are looking at at any given time.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
And its velocity relative to your home system.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Earth Has 4 Days In Same 24 Hrs., 1 Day God Was Wrong.

Or something like that.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
What if your planet is tidally locked and there is no day/night cycle?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Dibujante posted:

What if your planet is tidally locked and there is no day/night cycle?

Time ceases to be important and you play through the entire game simultaneously.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
What if your planet is Gallifrey?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Still less inscrutable than Vicky II's economy

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

b0lt posted:

Stellaris should give all distances in terms of lightyears, without telling the player that it varies based on how long it takes for your randomly generated race's homeworld to orbit its star.

Paradox should apparently stick to human time for this, because I was about to correct you that a lightyear was the same no matter where you are, then realized that a 'year' is an arbitrary construct based on Earth. :downs:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Measure all distances in AU with each race's AU measurement based on their homeworld's orbit radius.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
E: rogue planets still orbit :downs:

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Parsecs.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
Are you nerds really arguing about the start date?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
769 or bust.

Humans don't appear until 2200

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Jabor posted:

769 or bust.

Humans don't appear until 2200

But does this give enough of a window for another species to make it to Earth and uplift Byzantium with space tech?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Alchenar posted:

having to remember which arbitrary number of days there are in this month.

Make both your hands into fists, put them together side by side so all your knuckles are in a row. Pinky knuckle left hand is january, indentation between it and left ring finger is february, ring finger is march, and so on. All knuckles are months with 31 days. Indentations are months with 30 or 28 for feb.
Left hand index finger and right hand index finger, being adjacent, are july and august - both with 31 days.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I feel like the demographic for this thread is just right to dispense with the dumb fist thing, and start with the fact that of course July and August are going to have 31 days and it just goes either-or from there.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

Make both your hands into fists, put them together side by side so all your knuckles are in a row. Pinky knuckle left hand is january, indentation between it and left ring finger is february, ring finger is march, and so on. All knuckles are months with 31 days. Indentations are months with 30 or 28 for feb.
Left hand index finger and right hand index finger, being adjacent, are july and august - both with 31 days.

I just use the nursery rhyme. Obviously as a functioning adult my life is not thrown into chaos every month by the Gregorian calendar, but it is an annoying anachronism that a Space Calendar doesn't need to have.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Given that Stellaris is a space game, I think it's only logical that the game use a calendar based upon astronomy. Perhaps it could use some dating system based upon the movements of the moon, some sort of lunar calendar.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Voting stardates.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ofaloaf posted:

Given that Stellaris is a space game, I think it's only logical that the game use a calendar based upon astronomy. Perhaps it could use some dating system based upon the movements of the moon, some sort of lunar calendar.

Which moon.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Oberleutnant posted:

Or maybe you can just get your phone out of your pocket and look at the calendar it has there.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

zedprime posted:

I feel like the demographic for this thread is just right to dispense with the dumb fist thing, and start with the fact that of course July and August are going to have 31 days and it just goes either-or from there.

You wildly overestimate the average goon.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I hope Stellaris has events for first contact. I've just been busily strutting along colonizing a few systems and have a good bunch of colonies up that I'm developing. First contacts hit and my xenophobic militarists go nuts, suddenly I'm making GBS threads out fleets and ground troops at a tremendous rate while my civilians are organizing into political blocs :black101:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The number of days in each space month and how long the year is and how it's divided for my randomly generated planet and parent star is vitially important for me and the human condition. All other flaws in thia game will be secondary.

In all seriousness though. I'm assuming that each planet rotates on the overworld map but do they also orbit in real time (like in Distant Worlds for example)? Apart from just being a nice detail it could and also be important for when your heavily fortified garrison planet orbits away from your system's stargate or rare resource mine, leaving it more exposed.

I know we've seen a dev diary about systems but I can't easily look it up on a phone.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Alchenar posted:

I just use the nursery rhyme. Obviously as a functioning adult my life is not thrown into chaos every month by the Gregorian calendar, but it is an annoying anachronism that a Space Calendar doesn't need to have.

I could not remember that for years until I learned that August and July have the same number of days because Augustus wanted the same number of days in his month as were in Julius' month. My brain is not normal :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Remember in moo2 how could you start pre-warp, warp, or advanced? I always loved starting pre-warp and having a cool amount of time to build up my home world and maybe even colonize a couple planets locally before I even knew FTL technology. In many cases I'd purpsefully hold off researching FTL technology almost "role playing" that my race thinks it has more than enough room to expand at home and doesn't need it yet. Sometimes I'd make first contact with another civilization during this time, and my people would freak out and get researching space stuff.

I know everything about this game is about perfectly symetrical multiplayer-balanced starts, but I'd wish so bad for some sort of "randomize empire advancement" option at the start of the game and then maybe a slider or something for how big of a gap there could be.

So one empire might start out with a big developed homeworld, 2 scouts and a colony ship like normal. Another empire might have a few more levels of tech and a couple small colonies, while another might be basically where humans are today. Pre-warp, just barely getting a local space program.

I see the appeal of symmetrical starts, specially if you're playing some sort of competitive multiplayer, but I'd love a galaxy that feels more like I'm just newest but certainly not the last to join this interstellar club that's been going in for the last few centuries.

Or even just have a global "primitive start" with no empires at all, just a galaxy seeded with minor races ranging from stone age to information age and as the turns go by they all have a chance to develop to the next phase and hopefully become a FTL empire. Who ever gets FTL first in their area will have a massive advantage. Will they ignore all the less developed races but protect them from others? Enslave them? Uplift them and bring them into their multi-cultural federation? Eventually all the empires that managed to break out of minor status and become a real empire will meet up, after gobbling up all the lessers.

I'd love to play some humans that see this going on in the distant galaxy, and have to do what ever it takes to be ready for them. By appeasing them, but working together with others to destabilize them. How good would it feel if the plucky little Earth Alliance and a couple other bottom-tier space powers managed to pull the great Googian Empire into an exhausting war that ends up embarassing its dictatorship to the point that a civil war begins, breaking the empire up into little parts that no longer threaten the galaxy.

Or maybe poor earth doesn't stand a chance and is forced into joining some massive ancient empire. Now it's like we're playing a vassal or colonial nation, waiting for our chance to declare independence war , making secret alliances with fellow protectorates and outside powers. One day earth will be free! And when we are we'll have all the technology of our former masters.