Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
(Big thank-you to forums user Chomp8645 for making a great OP and then choosing a fun tag to go with it)

OUT NOW ON XBONE/PS4/PC

Star Wars: Battlefront is a game by EA and Dice that succeeds two previous, ancient titles made by somebody else. Despite many predictions it is not simply Battlefield in space, but a unique game in its own right. In many ways it is reminiscent of old-school arena shooters, but with modern gloss and features.

AVAILABLE VERSIONS

Standard Edition ($60): A copy of Star Wars: Battlefront <- - - - - - BEST VALUE... WOW!!! :shibe:

Deluxe Edition ($70): You get a couple low level items out the gate that you would unlock shortly anyway, and two exclusive emotes for your $10

Ultimate Edition ($120): You get the above stuff and the $50 season pass for a bundle discount of exactly $0

Season Pass ($50, or $45 at GameStop): Contains four kinds of things! Maps and heroes we know, probably guns and star cards too. After that who knows! Find out in 2016. You can pre-order for it for an exclusive emote.

The Good
- Sets a new gold standard for audio/visual experience. Seriously, both the look and sound are amazing
- Variety of modes and match types from 8-40 players.
- The "Walker Assault" game mode is the best new thing in a while
- Awesome gameplay reminiscent of old-school arena shooters in a way
- Sweet-rear end aerial combat
- Multiplayer is BASED ON ACTUAL SERVERS
- Relatively bug-free for a Dice game, good performance on most machines.
- Splitscreen co-op and versus exists in the game

The Bad
- The splitscreen co-op and versus modes are maybe not that good
- Some of the maps are very imbalanced
- The spawn system needs work in some areas. Sometimes you're a Rebel spawning next to an AT-ST on Hoth Supremacy, and other times you're an Imp spawning a mile away from the action on Endor Walker Assault.
- The game has no team balance whatsoever. I'm not joking. Even if the teams are 20 players versus 8, the server doesn't give a gently caress.

Multiplayer Game Modes
  • Walker Assault | 40 players | Heroes, Vehicles | This is the meat and potatoes of the game. It's like a reverse rush mode: two AT-AT walkers (one on Endor) make their way to the other end of the map to destroy the Rebel base, and the Rebels have three phases to destroy the walkers--either with heavy firepower or T-47 airspeeder tow cables. Between phases, the Rebels must keep a pair of uplinks online to queue up Y-wing bombers. The more they queue up, the longer the walkers are exposed to firepower/tow cables.
  • Supremacy | 40 players | Heroes, Vehicles | It's similar to Conquest, but you can't snipe a control point from behind enemy lines. It's more of a tug-of-war flavor.
  • Fighter Squadron | 20 players | Heroes, Vehicles | Aerial dogfighting mode. Tokens are scattered near the planetary surface to cool down your abilities, repair your HP, and claim one of the hero ships. Right now we've got the Millenium Falcon and the Slave I; possibly more in expansions, but we don't know yet. Periodically an enemy transport will appear and make its way across the map. Destroy for extra points.
  • Blast | 20 players | It's team deathmatch. More of a blast than it sounds like (har-har)
  • Drop Zone | 16 players | King of the hill mode that can turn hairy once more escape pods start dropping down.
  • Droid Run | 12 players | Two teams of six try to claim three gonk droids running around. Not dissimilar from Destiny's zone control.
  • Cargo | 12 players | Capture the flag.
  • Heroes vs. Villains | 12 players | Heroes | Three heroes and three soldiers team up to face their counterparts on the other team. Whoever loses all their heroes first loses the round. Heroes can respawn as soldiers.
  • Hero Hunt | 8 players | Heroes | Seven soldiers team up to hunt down one hero. Soldiers become the hero when they defeat them, and whoever reaches a set score first while playing as hero wins the game.
  • Turning Point | 40 players | Vehicles | The Imps defend against Rebels attempting to claim their way through 4 waves of zones. Rebels gain 3 minutes to the countdown whenever they claim a waypoint and can move on. A wave can be lost if just one waypoint within it is claimed, so you've gotta keep on your toes as Imperials. This mode is new with the free Jakku DLC and only has one map available

******SICK NASTY/HILARIOUS GIFS AND SHOTS******
http://giant.gfycat.com/EminentMessyChihuahua.gif
http://giant.gfycat.com/ContentRemoteDogfish.gif
http://imgur.com/tkqMjFW
http://i.imgur.com/X2k6gSq.gifv
http://fat.gfycat.com/FailingImpressionableCuckoo.webm
http://fat.gfycat.com/EthicalJovialGelding.webm

I heard this game has four maps and no content!

The game has five planets, including the free Jakku DLC; each planet has multiple maps. There are twelve maps in total at launch (three more with the Jakku expansion). About seven or eight of those are unique (either zero or minimal asset share). As for content you can only judge that for yourself. There are a good number of modes, there is content for splitscreen co-op or versus modes, but no traditional "campaign." A common consensus is that the quantity of content may be low but what is there is largely fantastic.

What is the gameplay like?

It sounds bizarre to say but this AAA shooter from EA and Dice eschews recent trends and delivers and old-school shooter experience. Projectiles are not instant, in-game power-ups exist, respawn is basically instantaneous. There is also a strong emphasis against "tactical squad based blah blah" unlike many recent games. Prone doesn't exist, revives don't exist, crouching doesn't affect accuracy, etc. It's designed from top down to be a "run and gun" experience as opposed to tacticool tryhard bullshit. In this way it is actually very much like the old Battlefronts.

What about progression/meta stuff?

The progression system is minimal compared to many recent AAA online games. Whether that is a positive or negative is up to you. Either way the focus here is more on the matches and less on the meta. What we do have is a card-based system for unlocking new abilities, as well as new guns, cosmetic customization options, and emotes. Everything is purchased with credits, which you earn by playing the game (and maybe a little from the companion app). There is no micro transaction model or ways to spend real money to get anything in game, and no sign that that will change.

Play with goons?

Yeah, we got a thing for that!

TheDK posted:

Reminder for new page:

:siren: Find other goons and pew pew pubbies together! :siren:

QUICK THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW (temporary)
- You can upgrade Star Cards! Select one you've already bought and you will notice an option to upgrade it. It's expensive (around 7000 credits) and is usually a cooldown reduction. This is one upgrade level per card.
- Starship shields grant collision immunity against non-terrain objects. It's hilarious and broken and should probably be patched.
- USE THE DISH TURRET AGAINST AT-ATs if you are a Rebel. They are unparalleled when it comes to sustained DPS against them.
- The AT-ST rockets auto-track aircraft. Just shoot in their general direction, and the rocket will pick up the target automatically.
- Leia's supercharged blaster ability ("Trooper Bane") passes through her squad shield.
- Crouching does not affect accuracy. In fact nothing does. The only advantage to ADS is that the target is bigger on your screen.
- Vehicle power-ups have fixed locations. Hero power-ups randomly replace basic power-ups and have no fixed location. (You can taunt while calling in a vehicle too!)
- You can swap out power-ups by holding Square (or whatever button) next to the new one. You don't have to blindly throw that imploder and possibly kill yourself.
- Sprinting or firing your weapon reveals your general location on the enemies' radars. The Scout trait can remedy this.
- Ramming a hero with a speeder bike will kill them instantly.
- Shooting a T-47 airspeeder with any weapon, even a handheld blaster, spikes their cable mini-game. Don't ignore them tripping a walker just because you don't have AV!
- Melee attacks do 100 damage from front or back and 50 from the side.
- Double-tap circle (on PS) while strafing to perform a combat roll.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This game sucks

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This game is good but also bad

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Like the Power Glove?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

But I was going to uplink station to pick up some y wing bombers!!!!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Actually never mind, game is good, it is pubbies that are bad.

There must be a strong electric shock that is delivered when most people press the square button

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
:rip: ARC Trooper

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

- Starship shields grant collision immunity against non-terrain objects. It's hilarious and broken and should probably be patched.

I only found this out the other night! On Hoth as rebels I was in an a-wing just circling around waiting for tie fighters to spawn so I could run into them head on. I finally got taken out when one of them managed to sneak a missile in right before we collided.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

where the gently caress are the trade fed

if i cant play a droideka then why am i paying for this

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This game is good but also bad

Worst game I can't stop playing

E: Actually that might be taken by Fallout 4

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
I keep reading recommendations for the DLT-19, but I can't kill poo poo with it. So far I do the best with the A280C. What's everyone's goto?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Full Metal Jackass posted:

I keep reading recommendations for the DLT-19, but I can't kill poo poo with it. So far I do the best with the A280C. What's everyone's goto?

I just love rocking the good old fashioned E-11. Feels great all around, can get some long distance sniper shots off or I can unload into people in close quarters.

Probably gonna do that until I unlock the boomhandle

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm like pew pew pew pew! And the other guy is like Wilhelm scream! Also you can be a black woman storm trooper.

It is a good game for playing a few rounds before or after work. I'm looking forward to way more content later though.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Not a fan of either of those guns. I am usually rocking the pistols at any given time. The SE-14C is a 5 round burst monster that will destroy people up close. Better yet, when paired with explosive rounds, it can take out troops from a pretty nice distance.

The DH-17 is a great space-uzi and the DL-44 takes the deagle slot in the game, much to the chagrin of many.

When not using pistols, I will fall back on the T-21 and E-11 for their reliable medium range handling and generally high damage.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Oh god if they add Jar Jar as a hero.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I prefer the RT-97C. Nothing like being space rambo.

On a side note, it would own if they added Mandalorian armor cosmetics for the Empire as DLC.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Thanks to whoever made the reminder in the last thread to SHOOT THE SPEEDERS WHEN THEY HAVE A TOW CABLE UP. Was playing Walker Assault on Tatooine and we kept the rebels off those uplinks for the first two rounds. Seen this before though, and speeders would just tow cable the poo poo out of those walkers in the final section. Same thing happened this time, but I'm sitting under those AT-ATs plinking away at those speeders with me EE-3 and even though I'm the only one blasting the T-47s I was able to make three of the buggers lose their cables.

Seriously, shoot the drat speeders. You don't need to kill them, just get a hit so they fail the minigame.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Not a fan of either of those guns. I am usually rocking the pistols at any given time. The SE-14C is a 5 round burst monster that will destroy people up close. Better yet, when paired with explosive rounds, it can take out troops from a pretty nice distance.

The DH-17 is a great space-uzi and the DL-44 takes the deagle slot in the game, much to the chagrin of many.

When not using pistols, I will fall back on the T-21 and E-11 for their reliable medium range handling and generally high damage.

I was wary about the range on the SE-14C, but I'll unlock based on this review.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Thread title is accurate, somehow whenever I get in a AT-ST I manage to keep killing lukes without noticing they were there via stomping.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Philthy posted:

Oh god if they add Jar Jar as a hero.
I think you mean decorated war hero and senator Jar Jar Binks.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
You can currently get the game at Green Man Gaming for 50 bucks
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/star-wars-battlefront/ if you wanna save :10bux:

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Are we using CTS mumble for this?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Microwaves Mom posted:

Are we using CTS mumble for this?

Yes.

ZeroTime
Oct 13, 2011
This game could have been so awesome, instead it is pretty horrible. makes me really sad after how much time I spent playing the old one.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Real men run a load out with both Thermal Dets. and Impact Grenades :getin:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I bought this for PS4 at Best Buy for $50 (got it price matched) but now I feel like I'd much rather be using a mouse and keyboard to control this. Is there any way I can bring this back to Best Buy and swap it out for a boxed PC copy? Would I have to pay the difference since the price I matched was only for the console versions?

I still have my receipt.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Ah, new thread. I'm still catching up in the old thread.

Game is fun overall. I'm playing through the missions and I have to vent about the Tatooine mission on Master difficulty. The Hoth mission wasn't bad since there were caves you can use for cover (and using Boba Fett for the Hero mission there was just :swoon:), but Tatooine is BULLSHIT. How? Let me count the ways:

• The map is cluttered with stuff but is wide open enough to where you can get shot from at least three different directions from any point on the map. And don't count on your squad of AI dipshits to cover your flank.

• Regardless of whatever faction you choose, your friendly AI soldiers are bullet sponges that can barely manage to kill an enemy and your opponents are like a notch or two below facing an MLG Counter-Strike squad with aimbots. You can turn off the firendly AI soldiers, but this obviously makes you a much bigger target and grants the enemy 20 points immediately every time they kill you.

• You die in 4 shots, it takes an eternity for your health to recharge, and you barely have time to pop a shield in your 'Escapist' class (don't even bother using 'Grenadier'). Even if you do, a couple enemies can quickly blast through your shield and still kill you if you don't find cover fast enough.

• Enemies can throw grenades with incredible accuracy, kill you quickly from across the map, use portable shields, use gun turrents to kill you almost instantly if they have any kind of line of sight on you, and hit you from any little nook and cranny they see you through that you wouldn't think a shot could travel through.

• Spawns are even a problem here since I've spawned right in front of a full group of enemy soldiers and right in front of a guy with a Smart Rocket out in the open. You can't kill these guys without them getting the rocket off first.

• If you manage to dig into a position where your allied soldiers can manage to take cover and you let the enemies come to you, you'll very easily be overrun when squads of 8-10 soldiers come at you with Shock Troopers/Heavy Gunners (which immediately rip you to shreds; good luck trying to damage them while moving in and out of cover without getting shot in the back). If you somehow manage to survive that and get to around 50 points, the game goes into "gently caress You, Buddy" overdrive and sends even more enemies after you including Jumptroopers. At this point, the enemy team is going to steamroll you as you desperately try to stay alive and find cover while they get enough remaining points to win the match. This is incredibly easy for them to do, which brings me to my favorite point of all:

• The matches in Missions play out like KIll Confirmed from Call of Duty: When someone is shot down, they drop a token which has to be collected for your team to get credit for the kill. In Battlefront, normal enemies give 2 points per token while Heavy Gunners and your soldier give out 5. Here's the problem: The enemy doesn't have to collect the token to receive points for the kills. You have a very small window of time to run over tokens your friendly guys drop and stop the enemy from collecting them, but if they so much as stay on the ground for more than a few seconds, they automatically get credited to the enemy team, which is beyond frustrating, and makes missions like these just about impossible. And did I mention one of the objectives for each mission is to win the match with the enemy team getting 39 points or less?

I played this for almost an hour today and couldn't do it. Right before I had to get dressed for work, I found a youtube video of someone who turned the friendly AI soldiers off and found a small enclosed camping spot they go to after collecting a bunch of charges for their shield. They then kill a few enemies from the hiding spot, pop the shield, collect the points, and get back to the enclosed space before the shield wears off to slowly and eventually get the 'Unstoppable' star. That's how much of an unbalanced piece of poo poo this mission is.

I want to think the enemies getting credit for kills without actually collecting the loving tokens is an oversight, but who knows anymore with :dice: I can't wait to see how bad the other missions are on Master.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 25, 2015

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I screamed like a girl when Luke came around the corner and scared me tonight. Then me and Fateo hid behind a round canister so he couldn't see us. Then he ran away.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
I'm glad I got the Special Edition Star Wars Darth Vader console, it automatically doubles my KDR!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Game is great. Haters gonna hate. :slick:

Siets fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 25, 2015

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Walker Assault is tough when your team is mismatched they got Hoth as Imperials and Endor as Rebels. Boy did we get our asses beat.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Work on your accuracy. The DLT-19 and the RT-97C are very good LMGs both in their own respects. Try shooting at a wall at medium-to-short range for a full clip to observe the recoil model, work on managing that, and then give it another go.

If that fails, go get all of the single player solo battle achievements. Lord knows that improved my gunplay immensely at the expense of my own sanity. :smithicide:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think you mean decorated war hero and senator Jar Jar Binks.

Bombad General

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Went 19-12-1 tonight on Fighter Squadron with an X-Wing.

I've found my groove. gently caress those sorry rear end A-Wings. X-Wing superiority. :getin:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Game is fun but desperately needs more Walker Assault maps. Really badly. I get bored after one rotation.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Game is fun but desperately needs more Walker Assault maps. Really badly. I get bored after one rotation.

Good news! You can purchase an unspecified number of more Walker Assault maps for just $50. Or whatever the Season Pass price is. Because EA knows you think it's worth it!

Nah yeah you are absolutely right, and you don't even rotate factions

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Siets posted:

Work on your accuracy. The DLT-19 and the RT-97C are very good LMGs both in their own respects. Try shooting at a wall at medium-to-short range for a full clip to observe the recoil model, work on managing that, and then give it another go.

If that fails, go get all of the single player solo battle achievements. Lord knows that improved my gunplay immensely at the expense of my own sanity. :smithicide:

This is exactly my problem. The majority of my encounters seem to be medium range, and they just recoil so much I can't stay on target. I need to work on that.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I think it's worth mentioning that you can get this game for like $40 on Origin.com if you use a Mexican IP to put it into your cart before you buy it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm like pew pew pew pew! And the other guy is like Wilhelm scream! Also you can be a black woman storm trooper.

It is a good game for playing a few rounds before or after work. I'm looking forward to way more content later though.

Yeah the diversity is really good, although the lack of alien races is pretty egregious.

Good thing I got the DLC on the cheap from Mexico :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah the diversity is really good, although the lack of alien races is pretty egregious.

Good thing I got the DLC on the cheap from Mexico :)

You can unlock like four alien heads once you rank to level 40.

Not that I've seen more than a handful of people use them.

• Locked thread