Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Octopode posted:

There literally never has been, and still isn't, an intention for an independent FPS module. Star Marine was and still is planned as another subgame within the game, just like Arena Commander. I don't know where you got this idea that there was going to be an independent FPS game.

You've been dry-humping a xerox of Croberts for how long, and you still don't understand the modules system? Cool, I don't either. Nobody does. This game isn't real. But like an evil spirit who feeds on fear, Star Citizen feeds on the sad delusional gap-filling of retards like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Transcribing tonight's patch notes:

Hangar Module Fixes:
  • Fixed an issue where returning to the Hangar from Arena Commander would sometimes not clear the match-status from the player, preventing them from accessing the Hangar elevator instances.
  • Fixed an issue where returning to the Hangar from an Arena Commander game mode, would cause the lobby UI not to display for the Hangar Elevator.
  • Fixed a game client crash that occurred when exiting or changing game modes.

Arena Commander Module Fixes:
  • Wingmen now spawn correctly on Dying Star, Vanduul Swarm singleplayer
  • Fixed an issue where players could not lock a missile on someone unless they are within firing range.
  • Fixed an issue where the visual effect for the Aurora LN/LX thrusters was offset from the engines.
  • Fixed multiple texture and lighting issues on the Retaliator interior.
  • Fixed an issue where the copilot could not control the turret on the Hornet F7CM after getting in, if a pilot was already seated.
  • Fixed a portaling issue on Security Post Kareah.

Social (it says social but this is actually PU stuff) Module Fixes:
  • Fixed an issue where rolling while prone would cause other players to see them t-posed.
  • Fixed some missing collision on the Landing Pad 3 stair steps.
  • The flashlight visual effect (Hotkey "O") has been improved on.
  • Fixed an issue where the music at Covalex Shipping Hub would be re-triggered repeatedly as the player eva'd through it.
  • Fixed an issue where Port Olisars rings would lurch forward, pause, or reverse direction.
  • Fixed an issue with the M50 in AstroArmada, ArcCorp was missing its Engines.
  • This also fixes an issue with the M50 sometimes spawning into Crusader without a starboard landing gear or engines.
  • Fixed an issue where the client could crash after spawning and taking off in a Gladiator in Crusader
  • Fixed several server-side crashes in Crusader
  • Fixed several client-side crashes in Crusader

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
The baby PU is born?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

no_recall posted:

The baby PU is born?

Going to try to play if/when the patcher finishes, I'll let you know.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Wow Star Marine sounds really cool when is it supposed to come out.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Still a few pages back, but did anyone else notice that his helmet segment elements always render underneath, and therefor obstructed by, the paint and lines of the ship?

Tis hosed up yo.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
PTU 2.0.0c report:

This time I got further than I have ever been before. I managed to spawn a ship without any troubles. I went through the airlock to find my ship waiting for me outside. I got inside it and started it up. That is when the trouble started. See, every time somebody spawns a ship, the game client locks up for 5 or more seconds. By the time I got into my ship, everybody else started to log into the shard. And once all those people started to spawn ships, my game client was spending most of its time not responding. I was able to fly upwards off the landing pad and enable a couple subsystems before the sheer weight of everybody spawning ships crashed the game server.

Maybe next patch I will actually be able to fly somewhere.

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch
This thread is much different now than a few short weeks ago

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Nalin posted:

Maybe next patch I will actually be able to fly somewhere.

Keep believing space bro. :kiddo:

Edit: Star Citizen: Maybe next patch I will actually be able to fly somewhere

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Hmm, it's almost as if the insane level of detail demanded for each and every game asset that has to spawn in and despawn at-will is a really bad idea for an MMO open world type game

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

ThePotatoMasher posted:

This thread is much different now than a few short weeks ago

The last 3-4 threads have felt like the heart scene from Temple of Doom. The drums keeps creeping as we move towards the inevitable climax.

Just pretend Bootcha pulled his investment out of the heart of Star Citizen and now it's being lowered into the lava while everyone chants about getting refunds. Peter's cat is dancing in the background. Someone in the back row is talking about burgs.

Or maybe that's just me.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I just saw this game for this first time on Twitch. Now I know what a $96M game looks like!

Parias
Jul 17, 2000

My Generosity is again
LEGENDARY!

FYI, you can play the Crusader map 'offline' by going into your game data folder and renaming one of the DFM maps like DFM_BrokenMoon to DFM_BrokenMoonOld, then renaming DFM_Crusader to DFM_BrokenMoon.

Then start the PTU build and do a singleplayer / "drone sim" match like you normally would, and start a free flight session on the Broken Moon map. It'll instead drop you into the Crusader map in the ship of your choice with the station nearby - you can fly over, explore it, spawn other ships, etc. It's 100% stable and never crashes (for me anyways) because there's nobody else around.

You can't use Quantum Travel or Cruise mode in this mode though. I'm looking into workarounds.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Parias posted:

FYI, you can play the Crusader map 'offline' by going into your game data folder and renaming one of the DFM maps like DFM_BrokenMoon to DFM_BrokenMoonOld, then renaming DFM_Crusader to DFM_BrokenMoon.

Then start the PTU build and do a singleplayer / "drone sim" match like you normally would, and start a free flight session on the Broken Moon map. It'll instead drop you into the Crusader map in the ship of your choice with the station nearby - you can fly over, explore it, spawn other ships, etc. It's 100% stable and never crashes (for me anyways) because there's nobody else around.

You can't use Quantum Travel or Cruise mode in this mode though. I'm looking into workarounds.

Is the ship spawn server verified or local?

Parias
Jul 17, 2000

My Generosity is again
LEGENDARY!

Local..... ish.

The panels on the station you interact with talk back to CIG's servers to figure out what ships to make available based on what you have in your account. So without further modding the game, you'll only see ships you actually own.

But the ships will then spawn in the singleplayer drone-sim mode with no problem.

Note: You can edit loginData.json in the PTU build folder to point to public.robertsspaceindustries.com instead of ptu.robertsspaceindustries.com to have the game use the standard public servers, i.e. you can get access any of your REC-rented ships too. The PTU build works fine this way when doing drone sim, but you can't do any online games as the public servers aren't configured for it yet.

...This also means people who haven't been invited to the PTU can just download the PTU build manually and still technically "play" the Crusader map -- look at the PatcherState file in the patcher folder for a link to the corresponding JSON file, which then lists all of the game files to download and the source URLs.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Parias posted:

Seems to work pretty well. It let me land and call up another ship from the terminal thing.

No crashes either. So it's the servers that are lovely.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

no_recall posted:

Is the ship spawn server verified or local?

At this point I imagine you could probably intercept the packet to make it return "yeah sure you've got that one" for every request. Would be interesting to see what ships you could get that way.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Thanks to Homeworld, I can't take my eyes off those engine trails. And they don't look right.

*triggered*

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Chalks posted:

At this point I imagine you could probably intercept the packet to make it return "yeah sure you've got that one" for every request. Would be interesting to see what ships you could get that way.

Yeah this exactly. I was just wondering if the dialogs with the PU server were just for unencrypted (lol??) xml data to validate your inventory. This way we should be able to alt tab and identify the updated files and find out exactly what xml data is being downloaded and updated. Which theoretically enable us to access all ships without purchases.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

I wouldn't be surprised to see an "Electronic Store" / "Electronic Trading Post" in that menu.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Documenting the third night in a row attempting to actually play the drat game.

Mission: same as before, spawn a retaliator, fly to a nearby station, get out. Tonight I am trying bored gamer's user.cfg for improved performance, and turning all settings to low. I have not seen a single twitch streamer who suffers from the same kind of weird stutter that I've been seeing, so I suspect it might be unique to my machine. However every time I've seen it, all the other people in view seem to be paused for the same general time period. I'm also playing later than previously, so maybe being in the off hours will help. We shall see.

Attempt 1: Spawned retaliator, took off from deck, turned it around- black screen, game crash. SIGH. Performance wise, things seemed to be running a bit better though. Smoother framerates, at least.

Attempt 2: Login failed!

Attempt 3: There's a new bug on the block- apparently people who try to connect to the server without hitting "Verify" on the patch will crash it for everyone. Good work CIG! So now it's a roll of the dice to see how long your game'll last before someone who didn't read tries to join in. I get a retaliator spawn and get in the pilot seat but notice that for some reason my character really wants to look left. Like I have a permanent neck cramp or something. So I attempt to ignore it and turn on quantum travel but apparently the neck-thing is affecting my UI as well, because I am getting the "OK to fast travel" indicator when two inches to the left of any given destination. Hmmmm. I hit the "engage" button and sure enough find myself a couple million kilometers out in deep space. Now the whole server says they're getting warnings about being out of bounds- presumably directed at me. Uh-oh. I get out of the pilot's seat and back in, which fixes the neck-cramp bug, and hightail it to a station. Just starting to engage pirates when another black screen crash occurs. On the plus side, I'm not seeing any of the freezing or stuttering prior to crashing. Next attempt I won't gently caress around, I'll go straight to a station and try to finish the mission.

Attempt 4: Login failed!

Attempt 5: I've really gotta stop hitting F9 to watch the mobiglass wiggle around during the get-out-of-bed animation. This time it locked me into the mobiglass screen and I could not move or interact with the world. Whoops. Exited game.

Attempt 6: Enter the world, type into chat "How's the stability tonight?" Run downstairs to spawn a retaliator- crash to desktop. Guess that answers that question.

Attempt 7: Login failed!

Attempt 8: This time when I spawn the retaliator in, there is a badger repeater cannon lying in the middle of the midships lobby when I enter it. Uh. Alright, I'll just... assume that got there naturally. Take off, fly away from the station, crash to desktop. S'getting a bit old at this point.

Attempt 9: Spawned in, ran to the retaliator- actually got it pointed at Covalex Shipping and flew there. Could this be it? The successful test? Started to fly around the station. First impressions- the detail on these things is superb, it really feels great. There's no real overarching theme and I'm not sure why all these stations have got spinning rings when artificial gravity is a thing, but it's well realized. I couldn't find a landing platform and the retaliator maneuvers like a pig so I spent a lot of time scraping paint off on the various greebles. Eventually I figured I'd just find it on foot. Got out of the pilot's seat, went back and tried to negotiate the airlock- the "Use" key opened it but the character had a really hard time getting out. Eventually I had to just fling myself at it and clip through the ship, but it worked. It worked! Mission accomplished. I flew out to the station and flew up and down the length of it without seeing any landing platforms. This was a real moment- space was silent except for my thrusters, and the station and ship just hanging there were quite beautiful. Times like that you realize that if they even come close to what they're shooting for, it will be a remarkable game. Eventually someone in chat told me that to look for some blinking lights and sure enough I found a shattered window and flew in. The interior was in zero-g, and it all just worked, which was almost alarming given the last 3 days of experiences. I got my pistol out and played a bit with the shooting physics- my lasers imparted actual velocity to stuff, although not with any particular rhyme or reason that I could tell. I'd send a vending machine spinning but barely move a briefcase. Still it was neat. I flew around the abandoned station for a while and eventually got a use prompt on a green pad- clicked it, got a "mission complete" in-game message. I guess... I guess I finished a mission? I didn't know I was on one besides the self-imposed ones. Flew back out, stole somebody's gladius that had been left in the vicinity. This was neat too- it actually worked on the first try. Flew it back to the retaliator and tried to board. No luck- the hatches would open and I might go through for a second, but then the "Gravity" would suck me back out again. Backed off to a tremendous distance and pointed straight at the open hatch, then slammed myself into it full speed. That worked, and I bounced around the interior for a second before snapping to the grid. Got back in the pilot's seat and prepared to fly to a repair station when the game finally crashed.

Mission Status: Complete and then some, and after only 3 days and nearly 30 attempts! I'll have to set myself a more difficult one next time.

Summary: There is a game there, and despite all the jankiness it is one I am really excited to play. The zero-g station was a really neat experience. Wouldn't want to firefight in it on a daily basis, but it was cool. The lack of the game-stutter tonight really improved play even though all but one session was only 2-3 minutes long. Every time the game works it is deeply immersive. I can't wait to see what it's like in VR. Ironically I think the non-combat parts of the game will be the biggest draws, in the long run- the weight and jankiness of the character animations really doesn't lend itself to traditional gameplay, but the depth of detail makes it a world I want to spend hours just wandering around. I find it funny that this incredibly buggy, messed-up pre alpha demo that they basically forced out in order to move sales along is the thing that kind of redeems the entire project, in my eyes. It just goes to show how rear end-backwards their approach has been, trying to put out show after show while keeping the true assets close to the vest. I can forgive any number of errors for a product that appears to be earnestly trying, and getting better. CIG, that's all you've ever had to show.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Chalks posted:

just change your /etc/hosts (or whatever the f the windows equivalent is) to point to a mock server posing as robortsspacecoke.parp that just returns a 200 OK, and whatever response body CIG servers parp back when you ask "hey rombartspacedreams.com, does this dumbshit sperg haz bawt ship with his rent money and/or alimony?" and the sperg actually did.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I'm just wondering how many crashes BadNewsBaron's 12-hour stream had when he was done. He was at 104 when I checked in after 8pm Eastern.

BDSSE, saving PC gaming, etc

I haven't seen a Twitch stream on this game over 1100 viewers and The Wulge gave that dude $100 for crashing every ten minutes on the first day of whatever the gently caress this is.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sarsapariller posted:

Documenting the third night in a row attempting to actually play the drat game [...]

Too bad CIG already hit the tendency towards irreducible number of errors with their POC loving tech demo. So loving incompetent.

"in a suitably complex system there is a certain irreducible number of errors. Any attempt to fix observed errors tends to result in the introduction of other errors."

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

played around 15 minutes without crashing...

but still laggy as gently caress

this is not a Baby PU nor a Fetus PU

it is more like a sperm PU or masturbation stage PU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

EminusSleepus posted:

played around 15 minutes without crashing...

but still laggy as gently caress

this is not a Baby PU nor a Fetus PU

it is more like a sperm PU or masturbation stage PU

Actually it's a blowjob.

The game will never exist.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
PU = Precum Universe

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Have a good Thanksgiving folks.

Spend your money on food, not Star Citizen.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Bootcha posted:

it does not qualify JPEG foods!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Bootcha posted:

Star Citizens will be eating the recipe imagining the turkey.

Goons will be grilling burgs out of meat.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

Wow Star Marine sounds really cool when is it supposed to come out.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/project-status

On mouseover.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Gryphon0468 posted:

When the game releases probably in late 2016 along with my 5 other ships. Not all a once of course that'd be silly.

Which other 5 ships do you have?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

clearly this guy is a Star Citizen whale backer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rjROBWcKkg

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bootcha posted:

Do YOU like MEATBALLS?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

alphabettitouretti posted:

So $10,740 worth of desk in that pic alone. Or to put it another way, approx. 2x War Packs and 2x Racing Packs. Thank you for your donation citizen. See you in the 'verse (we'll be the ones sitting at the expensive desks making more jpegs while you struggle to pay your rent).

There is something I just noticed right now when showing an actual programmer friend of mine this image.

Look at the closest window. Is that loving two-way mirror??? Is this office under observation or something??

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Whoever at CIG decided that the way to maximise income from this sale was create new superpacks of ships hosed up. Nerds like specific things and these superpacks have ships they might not want, I think they'd have made a lot more selling the Idris & Glaive individually and I suspect they have realised this by now.

AP fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 25, 2015

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Octopode posted:

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Nice, I'm familiar with that field. I didn't realize you were researching CIG for pointers on how to liberate funds from the government without producing anything of value.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

They are actually doing pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

AP posted:

Whoever at CIG decided that the way to maximise income from this sale was create new superpacks of ships hosed up. Nerds like specific things and these superpacks have ships they might not want, I think they'd have made a lot more selling the Idris & Glaive individually and I suspect they have realised this by now.

I just had one of those moments, looking at those prices, where I'm like: "How the gently caress is this happening. This needs to stop. This is sick, and wrong."

• Locked thread