Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Every podcast with talent who talk candidly about the creative process kind of makes you realise anything good that's on screen has nothing to do with creative and was probably fought against.

Seriously. I still don't think they REALLY understand why they were so popular in the 1998-2001 period, as evidenced by the fact that "Evil Authority Figure" is STILL a thing today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

projecthalaxy posted:

David D. from over at Uproxx had a really good piece a while back about how Sasha Banks and the New Day are the first black characters that actually talk and act like he and his peers do, and that he wouldn't have to have a long explanatory conversation with his son about.

I see what he's getting at, though I'd argue that New Day's current incarnation takes a fair bit of explaining.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

dsriggs posted:

Seriously. I still don't think they REALLY understand why they were so popular in the 1998-2001 period, as evidenced by the fact that "Evil Authority Figure" is STILL a thing today.
Say what you like about Vince, the man knew (at the time) that the fans wanted him to show rear end almost every week, and he delivered

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
What they learned from the attitude era was that people love McMahon family bullshit and will continue to love McMahon family bullshit regardless of all evidence to the contrary.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Gonzo McFee posted:

What they learned from the attitude era was that people love McMahon family bullshit and will continue to love McMahon family bullshit regardless of all evidence to the contrary.

My favourite McMahon family bullshit is when they actually turned Linda heel on JR.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

sticklefifer posted:

I see what he's getting at, though I'd argue that New Day's current incarnation takes a fair bit of explaining.

Super positive guys to the point of being obnoxious.

Super easy to explain.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

quote:

It's funny, when Billy Corgan first joined TNA, he mentioned that he wanted to see wrestling, and the promotion in particular, become part of pop culture - a mainstream phenomenon embraced by the masses for its relevant and socially aware characters and stories. I have a strong feeling that Corgan is somewhere smiling right now just thinking of the opportunities that will come because of TNA's deal with Pop.

http://www.tnamecca.com/2015/11/tna-tuesday-randomania.html

Billy Corgan has made one appearance for TNA since he signed on with them. One.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

triplexpac posted:

I think Xavier even said he would ask for his release if New Day didn't work out. I may be misremembering though!

That was Kofi, because before New Day he'd been stuck doing nothing but Rumble spots for years.

e: He also didn't say he'd ask for a release, but strongly implied it.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

As a black nerdy mother fucker Xavier is basically my spirit animal living my dream.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

St Evan Echoes posted:

Say what you like about Vince, the man knew (at the time) that the fans wanted him to show rear end almost every week, and he delivered

Yeah, what succeeded wasn't Evil Authority Figure on its own, it was that despite being Evil Authority Figure, Vince was never afraid to be on the run or have the top face one step ahead, or in Austin's case completely unafraid to get fined, arrested, or fired for kicking his rear end.

This isn't the case now: HHH sold Roman's spear like it was mild indigestion, Stephanie got a mild arm tweak from a non-contracted UFC fighter, and their big downfall last year was built in short order and only lasted a couple months. Really the only consistent comeuppance of the Authority was Seth losing matches by proxy. Vince was scared of Austin. H and Steph are never booked to be afraid of anyone.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

sticklefifer posted:

Vince was scared of Austin. H and Steph are never booked to be afraid of anyone.

Why would the rear end kicker be afraid of anyone???

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
"Some people call me the Asskicker." -HHH

"I'm the Asskicker." -HHH, the day before

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, what succeeded wasn't Evil Authority Figure on its own, it was that despite being Evil Authority Figure, Vince was never afraid to be on the run or have the top face one step ahead, or in Austin's case completely unafraid to get fined, arrested, or fired for kicking his rear end.

I'm probably wrong, but this is the Stupid Wrestling Fan Opinion thread, so gently caress it. I think the rise of Austin has more to do with people's dislike of "corporate" people & images & "the system" rather than anything else.

What they should've learned:
People hate being told what to say and what to do.
They'll react positively to a guy who does what he wants & is successful at the same time.

What they actually 'learned':
"Goddamn, the McMahon's are great TV!"
"Who in the world doesn't want to punch their boss in the face, am I right?"

Meanwhile they, without irony, do many of the things that people hate corporations doing like language policing, promoting unworthy workers due to personal connections & exhibiting an overreliance on social media as a marketing tool.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
That's probably the least offensive opinion to have so I'm not sure why you think it's controversial in the slightest.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Lady Naga posted:

That's probably the least offensive opinion to have so I'm not sure why you think it's controversial in the slightest.

It isn't controversial at all, it's just poorly thought out & probably incorrect.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
It all boils down to telling a story in a competent way. Wrestling is meant to be very simple storytelling at it's core: babyface is up against unbeatable odds and wins in the end.

We all got sick of Cena and joked about "how can he possibly beat these odds?!" but hey Cena is the biggest star they've made in forever so obviously it works.

This poo poo we have now with "bad guys are always smarter and better than everyone else" is really, really bad storytelling.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Have a little confidence dsriggs

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

triplexpac posted:

We all got sick of Cena and joked about "how can he possibly beat these odds?!" but hey Cena is the biggest star they've made in forever so obviously it works.

Cena's the biggest star because they made him at the expense of everybody else. They fed him everybody & he doesn't even come close to Rock or Austin or whatever in star power.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

dsriggs posted:

Cena's the biggest star because they made him at the expense of everybody else. They fed him everybody & he doesn't even come close to Rock or Austin or whatever in star power.

Well that's part of building a big main event star? You don't get over by going 50-50 all the time, a babyface hero has to win in the end otherwise he's Roman Reigns.

I'm just talking about WWE style booking, indies and other more "sport" focused feds can get away with doing whatever.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How can i get roman reigns more over with the crowd? I'll have the PPV end with him crying like a bitch.

-Vince Mcmahon

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

triplexpac posted:

It all boils down to telling a story in a competent way. Wrestling is meant to be very simple storytelling at it's core: babyface is up against unbeatable odds and wins in the end.

This poo poo we have now with "bad guys are always smarter and better than everyone else" is really, really bad storytelling.

The only idea they have for back and forth is "one guy wins match, then loses next match". The Wyatts/BoD poo poo is the epitome of how bad they are at writing something. Bray and gang kidnap Kane and Undertaker and say he's totally getting powerful off sucking them off or whatever. Then a few weeks later for no reason Kane and Undertaker show up and effortlessly beat them up. Then they send their sheep army of druids in and Kane and Undertaker effortlessly beat them up. Then the match comes and Kane and Undertaker effortlessly beat up the Wyatts again.

At no point was there a struggle where you thought "the good guys might lose". It was just "look at these idiots flail against the mighty Undertaker and his brother the mighty Kane" and, they're right, The Wyatts are giant idiot losers and probably also virgins.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

St Evan Echoes posted:

well when you have an rear end as good as billy gunn's on the roster, you gotta give the people what they want

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

At no point was there a struggle where you thought "the good guys might lose". It was just "look at these idiots flail against the mighty Undertaker and his brother the mighty Kane" and, they're right, The Wyatts are giant idiot losers and probably also virgins.

That feud felt like them chickening out. The first week or so was awesome because holy poo poo the Wyatts kidnapped Taker and Kane. Then it was like they pretended it never happened, except they didn't pretend it didn't happen, they just returned to status quo immediately while handwaving "uh, I guess Bray was lying". It almost seems like the writers got a cool idea through but then Vince turned around and said "We can't do that, dammit! It's his 25th anniversary!"

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Wyatts vs BOD still wasn't booked worse than Awesome Truth vs Cena and Rock from 2011.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I reckon I could take the Asskicker HHH because he would take five minutes walking around me pulling faces after every punch.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

I reckon I could take the Asskicker HHH because he would take five minutes walking around me pulling faces after every punch.

Until he hit you with a sledgehammer that would literally murder you.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Until he hit you with a sledgehammer that would literally murder you.

He'd work the sledgehammer shot, he's too much of a pro not to.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

I will admit that I was one of those people. But I have seen the light now.

I liked all 3 guys i didnt like the churchy party of the gimmick but i loved everything else.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It gave us Cole doing the whitest dance at the announce table so it wasn't all bad

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

What do they consider better than being part of literally the best thing in the product in recent months?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
3 minute matches where he loses to Bo Dallas, I assume.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

stay tuned. please god stay tuned

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm sure POPTV is looking for "ratings winner" in slots it doesn't pay the production company for

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

quote:

BigDawg801 Moderator • 29 minutes ago
TNA just RT'd a Happy Thanksgiving tweet from Thea Trinidad. Just sayin :) I imagine they are pursuing Aries. If not, then why the RT's last night and today?

Imagine RT'ing Happy Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stone Cold Steve Austin will be celebrating Thanksgiving today too...

Can we expect Cold Stone Steven Austins in the impact zone?!?!

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I fully expect to see Mark Braddox in the Impact Zone very soon.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I don't understand how some people don't see that New Day is legit the best part of the product right now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, it would be pretty cool if we had the New Day AND a few other black wrestlers who were taken (and portrayed) more seriously at the top of the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lotta good opinions in the stupid opinions thread