Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Everyone has their favorites for whatever reason and should use their favorites because that is cool and good. :)

(my favorite is "enormous numbers", aka Agate and Kloe. :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Look at all these awful people not using Olivier

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

If Olivier could equip Duende Slippers and whatever that girls-only +100 ATS armor was I'd be using him instead.

But he doesn't.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Nothing has more ATS than Love.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Since it seems like buffs don't work on arts, in the end it's probably best to stick with Father Kevin a.k.a. the one arts-caster who can actually survive a full round against Loewe.

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

This is a little off-topic to Falcom games, but as I said earlier in the thread, TiTS FC is the first JRPG I've played in over a decade, and the only JRPG I've played that isn't Final Fantasy.

Can anyone recommend games similar to it? i.e. good characters and expansive world-building. Preferably with a similar art style. Gonna be real sad when I've finished FC and SC, so need something to fill the void.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Does it have to be on Steam?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Super Jay Mann posted:

If Olivier could equip Duende Slippers and whatever that girls-only +100 ATS armor was I'd be using him instead.

But he doesn't.

I just got the slippers and for the first time I've taken him out of my party :(

On another note (ch4 spoiler) is it possible to beat Mueller as Joshua in the bandit hideout? I was doing fine until he got low on HP and did like three attacks in a row

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Does it have to be on Steam?

No, I have a bunch of hardware kicking about, so any console old or new.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Having played quite a few of them, Suikoden II is still my favorite JRPG and one of my favorite games of all time. An original PS1 copy is a rare find, but I'm pretty sure you can get it real cheap from the PS store if you have a PS3 or PSP.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lolasaurusrex posted:

Yeah my first rec for a JRPG with decent world building was gonna be Suikoden 1+2 (and maybe 3) though it's possible you've already played them. Grandia 2 popped up on Steam recently and has some (mostly superficial) similarities to TitS, again that's older than the last decade though.
Atelier Ayesha maybe? If you have a PS3 or Vita. It's a lot more focused on the characters and the world you inhabit than a big JRPG plot, the actual game is more about crafting than combat though and you need to not mind most of the characters being cutesy anime girls.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 25, 2015

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Paperhouse posted:

I just got the slippers and for the first time I've taken him out of my party :(

On another note (ch4 spoiler) is it possible to beat Mueller as Joshua in the bandit hideout? I was doing fine until he got low on HP and did like three attacks in a row

Yeah you just gotta keep him clocked down and Joshua clocked up and grind it out, it's not that bad

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Paperhouse posted:

It helps if you can gain a level before you fight him, which isn't too hard. His dual strike attack is your bread and butter, and keep your CP so you can steal a critical turn in a pinch.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

lolasaurusrex posted:

This is a little off-topic to Falcom games, but as I said earlier in the thread, TiTS FC is the first JRPG I've played in over a decade, and the only JRPG I've played that isn't Final Fantasy.

Can anyone recommend games similar to it? i.e. good characters and expansive world-building. Preferably with a similar art style. Gonna be real sad when I've finished FC and SC, so need something to fill the void.

The next Trails game is out within the month, so...

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Supremezero posted:

The next Trails game is out within the month, so...

Is that confirmed? I just assumed it was a placeholder date. I don't dare to believe it's that close

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Levantine posted:

Is that confirmed? I just assumed it was a placeholder date. I don't dare to believe it's that close

There's no firm date yet. I could see it slipping.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Levantine posted:

Within the month is within 2015. They aren't quite willing to confirm 2015 (because they're infinitely pessimistic), but it's "99% sure".

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I've been hurt before.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Levantine posted:

I've been hurt before.

Winter 2014

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Supremezero posted:

Within the month is within 2015. They aren't quite willing to confirm 2015 (because they're infinitely pessimistic), but it's "99% sure".

Even if it's 99% sure i'm betting either this or Yakuza 5 will slip to next year. Honestly both could slip.

I know the EU version is Q1 2016 (but that's also not xseed)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

lolasaurusrex posted:

It's super super rare and ridiculously hard to find, but if you have a Gamecube and can find a copy, Skies of Arcadia: Legends is amazing.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I tried to use Tita in both games but aside from craft-based healing when there's no better alternative (like Kevin when he finally gets around to joining for real) her fragility reeeeally damns her.

Tita's Vital Cannon 2 is actually the best healing craft in the game, easily beating Kevin's Sacred Breath. Sacred Breath has an (L) radius, true, but it's always centered on Kevin and it only heals 2500 HP. Vital Cannon 2 heals 3500 HP (better than La Teara) and heals all status ailments just like Kevin's craft does, in addition to removing debuffs, which cannot be done by any other means aside from one particular item. Vital Cannon 2 has a smaller range than Sacred Breath, but it's grid-targetted and its reach can be augmented with Long Barrel accessories, so it's much more versatile.

I generally like to keep my levels evened out among my party members, so I frequently switch and I personally didn't see Tita as a load. Sure, she's kind of fragile, but her Long Barrel accessories allow her to generally stay away from the frontlines and snipe things from afar and her attack, while not as high as Joshua's/Agate's/Zane's is still on par with Estelle and both of her crafts are very useful.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Trails FC is back at 50% off on Steam for their winter sale, and all Ys games are 70% off:

FC: http://store.steampowered.com/app/251150/
Chronicles: http://store.steampowered.com/app/223810/
Oath: http://store.steampowered.com/app/207320/
Napishtim: http://store.steampowered.com/app/312540/
Origin: http://store.steampowered.com/app/207350/

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

I don't know why you wouldn't mention it, but Trails SC is also 10% off.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251290/

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Spam your steam and Skype friends with this information.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Supremezero posted:

I don't know why you wouldn't mention it, but Trails SC is also 10% off.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251290/

I hadn't noticed! I thought that was still just the launch discount.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Slur posted:

I found the piano sheet music for Shine of Eidos, but does anyone know where I can find a sheet for Etude of the Ruin?

This question still stands.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Jesus, I just started putting together gameplay footage of Ys 6 for a potential LP, and as part of my plans I want to show the differences between the normal, sane, steam / pc version and the Konami PS2 version, since I still have that disc.

How I ever got through it on PS2 I'll never know...

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Hoohah posted:

Jesus, I just started putting together gameplay footage of Ys 6 for a potential LP, and as part of my plans I want to show the differences between the normal, sane, steam / pc version and the Konami PS2 version, since I still have that disc.

How I ever got through it on PS2 I'll never know...

The wonders of youth...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Was the PSP version as bad as the PS2 one because that made me swear off Ys games for years.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
It's been years since I saw the words "Final Chapter" or the like in a JRPG and been like "poo poo, already? nooooo"

e: taking a drat airship?!?!? these sneaky bastards are ruining my chill anime road trip and they are going to PAY

e2: they are going to DOUBLE PAY

klapman fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 26, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

klapman posted:

It's been years since I saw the words "Final Chapter" or the like in a JRPG and been like "poo poo, already? nooooo"

I for one welcome reaction posts to the events in Final Chapter.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Some Numbers posted:

I for one welcome reaction posts to the events in Final Chapter.

In that case i'll go ahead and make this post, and then keep editing it with updates. Right now i've just gotten the story's explicit permission to grind my little heart out, so i'll see you all in like 15 levels

e: I went in to fight the ravens with three S-crafts ready, and left with one. Holy poo poo they actually kick rear end now, good for them, if they use it to gently caress poo poo up in Ruan i'll own them hard

e2: the ravens just gave me another, better place to grind?!?!?! ok they can gently caress poo poo up all they want they're my buds

e3: I got everyone to s-craft 200 before the fight with the senior bracers and I was not prepared for how badly i'd kick their asses

this cathedral thing is giving me some real bad vibes, man

"I'm gonna show those special ops types how a touch of girl power can ruin their whole day!" is loving incredible, estelle is character of the year

this play session has lasted 6 hours and 40 minutes so far, up to the final arena fight and im very confident. i am ready for the hot hot action

Holy loving poo poo I can't believe he survived 4 200 S-Crafts in a loving row. Jesus christ that fight might have taken like 20-25 minutes, but I managed to grunge out a victory. We rubbed our noses in the bloody battlefield dirt and emerged victorious. olivier died but w/e

he was holding back. the little fuckshit was holding back. the little god drat PIECE OF DOG poo poo WAS HOLDING BACK I'LL END HIM FOR THAT

chances of kloe being someone other than the princess: 3%

chances of the colonel not using this party to put a leash on all the mayors: 0%

even the maids, people paid to be subservient, cannot stop talking about how much of a poo poo dunan is lmao. if the queen dies i'd unironically prefer the colonel to rule.

"this is a delicious meal, far more refined than the person who invited us" this game has made me laugh more in an hour than most games do in a playthrough

when they were talking about someone wearing a maid uniform, i genuinely thought it was going to be joshua

YES

oof. got through the castle, but god drat i've been playing for 460 minutes according to steam so I think i'm gonna take a break till after thanksgiving's done. god drat this game is good and im getting SC like, immediately

schera is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

that fight with lorence didn't seem particularly unwinnable, but i'm cool with it I guess

lmao with agate and estelle i'm pretty sure olivier might be the most diplomatically minded person in the area

richard was a hard enough fight. this is insufferable

nvm I get the gimmick now, i thought one of them just had really high defense. still kinda pissed theres another fight though

ok fine its a good fight god drat it its fun to have everyone spread out and the forceps down, and then you can just watch it flail ineffectually

I loving hate you

cant wait till I beat this version of the boss and then a toaster will attach to its head and it will have 40,000 HP and every two turns it'll take out its big robot dick and smack me, personally, in the face with it

ok cool its cassius and also the exact thing I feared. thankfully i had s-crafts with every character so instead of it being a real fight everyone just got to use their super move and kick the hell out of it, with estelle being the last one, which was actually really rad. im furious

just barely scraped by to rank 1, hallelujah

...uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what the fucks going on this is like the only thing I really, REALLY didn't see coming

estelle please come back with the ice cream now

joshua you are a big idiot

klapman fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 27, 2015

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Did I miss a rematch with the Ravens in the second game, final chapter or is that from the first game, the tournament?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
He's obviously talking about the first game, what with the "giving me a place to train"-stuff, though I was confused for a second too.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

quote:

"this is a delicious meal, far more refined than the person who invited us" this game has made me laugh more in an hour than most games do in a playthrough

Yeah, there's truckloads of amusing lines throughout the game. And to think they locked up Olivier to avoid political incidents.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:allears:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Sakurazuka posted:

Was the PSP version as bad as the PS2 one because that made me swear off Ys games for years.

Apparently no it wasn't, it was a direct port of the PC version with Konami's version of the script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
i just want to say that Merciless Savior is a good song and everyone should give thanks for it today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1my5n9PpS0