Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I wonder if Lister trained or just ate sushi and drank sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

goongrats

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

gently caress, you got that fast. Congrats.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks man. Year and 3 months. Been going every day for the last few months though, to be fair.

Edit: plus I competed & got bronze last week, that stood me in good stead I reckon.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ugggggggggggggggggggggh i'm so bad at competitions

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You win or you learn. And even if you win, you learn. I pay the $100 for the experience of real competition, not necessarily the medal at the end.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Congratulations!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I use competitions to reality check myself. If there is a hole in my game big enough that someone that has never rolled with me can identify and exploit it in real time then I know where I need to focus my effort in training.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
getting beat in a tourney gave me huge motivation to train the first time i competed in one

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I got my butt whooped during my first competition and it motivated me to train harder and learn more solely out of spite.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Did you happen to compete at the Newbreed in Orlando? If so, we may have crossed paths haha

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I decided to compete again in February. Thing is though now I'll obviously be in the blue belt category. And a very new blue at that. Oh well, I'll try to enjoy the experience.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
You'll probably be blue for a while so you're always better off trying to get competition experience as often as possible.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

No matter how bad you think you did, just realize that its a minority of people who even have the courage to even go out and compete in the first place.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, absolutely, I figure I might as well dive in and take my lumps. That's been my mentality from day one in jiujitsu really.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Decades posted:

Lister blew out his shoulder defending an arm triangle and should seriously retire

I just watched this, it looks like what got him was it was the same motion as a keylock while the russian dude was elevating his shoulder with his hands?

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Something like that yeah, his arm was in a sketchy keylockish spot. I don't know, the stream was terrible.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

WayneCampbell posted:

I just watched this, it looks like what got him was it was the same motion as a keylock while the russian dude was elevating his shoulder with his hands?

If it's what I'm thinking of, that's called a pillow-lock in Shootwrestling and is a standard lockflow off the "hand to the ear" armtriangle defense.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Youtube isn't returning any hits on pillow lock. Do you have a link handy?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Odddzy posted:

No, unfortunately, but if you're doing an armtriangle and they're "answering the phone" -

Move your head up slightly so your ear is against the point of their elbow

with your hand that isn't under their neck, grab their wrist and pull straight outwards while you pressure inwards with your head

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Odddzy posted:

This one but on the near rather than far side?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Fujiwara :allears:

E3 Keynote
Jul 22, 2004

eyyyyyyyyyy
i barely post, but 6 years in and i received my purple belt on Friday

it feels like i just got a bigger bulls eye on my back and a poo poo load more pressure to train harder and become a good purple belt. guess i'll just train more and get better, thats my story.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Congrats. Great job!

I feel the same with my blue. First class tonight... Oh poo poo. Love it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Congrats!

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker

origami posted:

I wonder if Lister trained or just ate sushi and drank sake.

He's been travelling doing grappling seminars for like the last 8 months all over the world so that means lots of partying and not much hard training.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

E3 Keynote posted:

it feels like i just got a bigger bulls eye on my back and a poo poo load more pressure to train harder and become a good purple belt. guess i'll just train more and get better, thats my story.

Congrats! I know how you feel. When I got promoted to blue belt, I was happy not to be a lowly white belt anymore. When I got the purple belt, I thought "oh poo poo, I better figure out what I'm doing."

widunder
May 2, 2002

Mardragon posted:

He's been travelling doing grappling seminars for like the last 8 months all over the world so that means lots of partying and not much hard training.
I thought Lister looked alright, especially early on. The other guy's oddball ezekiel from inside the guard strategy seemed a bit funky tbh

E3 Keynote
Jul 22, 2004

eyyyyyyyyyy
Thanks for the congrats everyone, much appreciated! I've had a bit of time to think about it over the weekend and a bit of the imposter syndrome has faded which for me has always been a bit of a sticking point. I'm just excited to use this as an opportunity to get even better at BJJ and compete in some crazier (albeit smaller?) divisions!

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

E3 Keynote posted:

Congrats!

The day I got my brown I was feeling all good about myself and immediately one of the black belts (who I thought I was having competitive rolls with) called me over for a roll. He immediately passed, took mount, and tapped me with A SMOTHER. I hadn't been tapped by a smother in over 6 years.

I went over to one of the other guys that got promoted to brown with me and just said "dude we're in trouble"

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

ch3cooh posted:

Congrats!

The day I got my brown I was feeling all good about myself and immediately one of the black belts (who I thought I was having competitive rolls with) called me over for a roll. He immediately passed, took mount, and tapped me with A SMOTHER. I hadn't been tapped by a smother in over 6 years.

I went over to one of the other guys that got promoted to brown with me and just said "dude we're in trouble"

This owns lol

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Felt that too last night. They nicknamed me wrist lock because they're not taught at white belt, so I spent an hour defending my wrist. Guess what? They caught my wrist once but my arm is mangled. They definitely stepped up a level. Excited to see how the general population class react to my blue tonight. New target for whites?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Is this grading season in BJJ? My instructor hinted to me that some grading might be happening soon, too (a stripe! :v:), when Curtis Brigham comes and does a clinic with us next month.

I feel like I've been making progress, though. I've subbed a few classmates who I've never gotten before, and I've had my first taste of "this is way too easy" against some really new guys who came in. Of course that's getting mixed with healthy doses of humility. I rolled with a female classmate who I had never paired up with and I have absolutely no idea how she gets her legs through spaces she does. "Oh! I got her leg past my shin! Well I can just knee slice down and settle... back into her full guard."

E3 Keynote
Jul 22, 2004

eyyyyyyyyyy
End of the year seems to be a big time of the year for promotions, yeah.

First night on the mats tonight as a purple belt! My sister who's been training with me just got her blue belt the same night. She's taking off to Hawaii for the sweaty betties camp with Leticia Ribeiro, Penny Thomas, Mackenzie Dern, etc., tomorrow. I'm heading off to Maui as well, but it's a ladies only camp.

gonna be honest, I'm feeling salty about my male privilege here.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Rickson Gracie posted:

I would like to thank Mr. Sakakibara for giving me, Kron and the Gracie family to participate with Rizin. And I am very happy that kron was given an opportunity to fight Asen. Kron is training hard and is in great shape so he will bring 100% to the ring. This fight will be a fight that will determine the future of MMA. The modern MMA rules take away the Bushido Spirit from the fighters by their short rounds and point system. And the cage becomes the 3rd element and takes away from realistic fighting situation. But Rizin will bring back the longer rounds and the ring with ropes. This will emphasize the fighters to finish which will bring back the true warrior spirit to the fighters and I am very happy for that.”

Yes, the cage takes away from realistic fighting situations. In reality, you will never be pushed against a wall. All real fights take place in an open field where small japanese men will reposition you if you get to far from the center.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Excuse them, if two old friends want to put some class back into nhb.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

fatherdog posted:

Yes, the cage takes away from realistic fighting situations. In reality, you will never be pushed against a wall. All real fights take place in an open field where small japanese men will reposition you if you get to far from the center.

Never been in a real fight have you? I remember being punched and instantly teleported to a meadow where small Asian men repositioned us when we got too close to a tree.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I think that's how MGS3 ended, basically.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Rickson did all his fighting on Rio beaches so he has a skewed perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Rickson did all his fighting on Rio beaches so he has a skewed perspective.

He wished for fighting prowess and got it, but now he is cursed to have a confrontations on every vacation he goes on.