Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The sad thing is, I can actually check that; both Spider-Man and Power Man (which is what he was going by at the time this game came out) are listed at a Strength of INCREDIBLE (40), which isn't tied to a specific lifting ability but is more of an abstraction. Each does the same amount of damage with a punch, at least.

That's not sad, I'm impressed with both of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I only accept Marvel Universe trading cards when discussing relative strength/power/intelligence levels of characters.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think we can all agree that Luke Cage's energy projection is a 1 at best.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ror posted:

Has Superman's cellophane S power from Superman 2 ever been referenced or used in the comics, jokingly or not?

I want to say there was something in Geoff Johns' Action Comics. He doesn't use it to capture someone, but it has some other purpose. Or it could have been in the post Loeb Superman/Batman, but I know it's out there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

Someone should do something with that and have Luke Cage shoot a little tiny beam in the middle of a fight. Marvel please hire me for the next What The? volume.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

redbackground posted:

Are his eyes normal, though? Or does he have Superman-esque invulnerable eyes too (a la that scene in Superman Returns)?

Just his skin I believe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe is bullshit, so many things in that are directly contradicted in comics that come both before and after it.

The guy who wrote a lot of those plays Marvel Heroes and he's the worst.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

Someone clearly hasn't seen Jessica Jones yet.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Senior Woodchuck posted:

He alive, dammit.

It's a miracle!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

It could be inferred that he's the worst based on those handbooks he wrote being also the worst.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's also the guy who brought back the "Cyclops eye portals" thing after it had long been forgotten.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

He's also the guy who brought back the "Cyclops eye portals" thing after it had long been forgotten.

Just think about how badly he's loving up that other universe. Like, if the red beams ever run out is he going to shoot out trucks, or a preschool?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Aphrodite posted:

Holy gently caress is this stupid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently the guy who wrote that one made up a bunch of stuff for powers that he felt didn't make sense or weren't adequately explained.

It was never referenced in the comics and so never really canon, but the Marvel Heroes guy (he calls himself Comixfan) wrote the X-Men guide years later and brought it back up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The jokey thread about rejected storylines got me thinking, what are some examples of some intriguing/good storylines we know of that were rejected for whatever reason?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Twilight of the Superheroes

Superman 2000

e: And by googling both of those together, I found a couple of articles with more unrealized pitches: here's one article, and here's the other.

Plus the original, abandoned Emerald Twilight.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 22, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The greatest story never told. Dazzler: Big in Attilan.

http://kierongillen.tumblr.com/post/84925044142/dazzler-big-in-attilan

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently the guy who wrote that one made up a bunch of stuff for powers that he felt didn't make sense or weren't adequately explained.

It's actually worse, in this case there was already an explanation in the comics that the writer of that article just missed. And we know they just missed it, because they removed the "eye portal" thing in the second edition of the Handbook; it wasn't forgotten, it was corrected away.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/09/27/comic-book-legends-revealed-438/3/

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Squizzle posted:

Twilight of the Superheroes

Superman 2000

e: And by googling both of those together, I found a couple of articles with more unrealized pitches: here's one article, and here's the other.

Plus the original, abandoned Emerald Twilight.

While a lot of the Superman 2000 pitch seemed to make sense from a narrative point of view, I don't see any justification for making Supes more powerful. I mean, isn't one of the inherent problems with Superman that he's basically a god fighting mortals? They say they're making him 3x stronger and more intelligent, but don't really say why...

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

HorseHeadBed posted:

While a lot of the Superman 2000 pitch seemed to make sense from a narrative point of view, I don't see any justification for making Supes more powerful. I mean, isn't one of the inherent problems with Superman that he's basically a god fighting mortals? They say they're making him 3x stronger and more intelligent, but don't really say why...

If it works for Goku it's good enough for Superman, as my grandpa always used to say.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

HorseHeadBed posted:

It's only a problem if you have him fighting mortals.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Superman shouldn't be in a situation where it matters how strong he is. :colbert: He has All The Strong (and All The Fast, and All The Tough). A good Superman challenge should involve how to navigate idealism through the ambiguities of a morally complicated reality. I'm also cool with them being therapy for the reader/writer.
:goonsay:

fakey fake edit: For instance, Mongul's whole thing is that he's swole enough to stand up to Superman in a straight physical fight, but the best Mongul story (and one of the better Superman stories), For the Man Who Has Everything, puts very little of the tension on the Superman/Mongul fist-fight. The drama comes from Original Writer being scared, sad, and angry about Thatcher's Britain, and the question of whether or not Superman can help OW deal with those feelings before Mongul murders Batman and Robin.

real edit: Obviously, some big, uncomplicated punch-up stories aren't a problem, but they should be the exception.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HorseHeadBed posted:

This story basically sounds like proto All-Star Superman so you can read that to get an idea of it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ImpAtom posted:

This story basically sounds like proto All-Star Superman so you can read that to get an idea of it.
Yeah, the counterpoint to Swoleperman being SuperGod all over the place is that he stops to help a sad goth chick between stopping a tsunami, helping plow miles of farmland in sub-saharan Africa and then fighting against, say, Sinestro. It's that his basic humanity allows him to be the selfless, loving ideal that we want to become. That the moments of humility and kindness are on par with stopping a hole in eternity.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I love this discussion. Please keep doing it for ten more pages.

And For the Man Who Has Everything mag be the best single issue of a comic book ever.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

For a second I thought you were talking poo poo about either Mark Gruenwald or Peter Sanderson and I was ready to cut you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The encyclopedias are never written by actual comic book writers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

The encyclopedias are never written by actual comic book writers.

The original was written by Mark Gruenwald

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anymore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC's Who's Who series in the 90's was outstanding because Mark Waid was obsessive about it.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

There are more ways to temporarily shut down mutant powers than I can count. Did any story ever address why Rogue didn't try using any of them on a regular basis? Even if it was just Rogue looking directly through at the fourth wall and saying that we shouldn't think about that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I think the most you'd ever get is that it'd be sorta creepy for Rogue to have Leech sitting outside her bedroom door or putting on a literal slave collar before she has sex.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Does it have to be a big collar, though? Redesign it as a belt and bring belted sweater dresses back into style at the nightclubs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The X-Men have a guy who can build literally anything, and they were on the team together for a significant period of time. Surely he could have thought "how about I build a small ring with a button that can turn mutant powers on and off?"

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I think the most you'd ever get is that it'd be sorta creepy for Rogue to have Leech sitting outside her bedroom door or putting on a literal slave collar before she has sex.

The Leech thing is only a problem because he will never age. If he was an adult he could make a killing providing that service.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Rogue touches Nightcrawler, does she turn blue and demon-ey?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Aphrodite posted:

If Rogue touches Nightcrawler, does she turn blue and demon-ey?

No, because she only absorbs mutant powers, not demon DNA.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Endless Mike posted:

The X-Men have a guy who can build literally anything, and they were on the team together for a significant period of time. Surely he could have thought "how about I build a small ring with a button that can turn mutant powers on and off?"

Forge was introduced as a guy working with the government specifically to build a "turn Rogue's powers off" gun. He accidentally shot Storm with it, and learned a valuable lesson about knock on effects.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I know, but surely if he can build a gun that gets rid of powers permanently, he can make a device that does it temporarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

HitTheTargets posted:

Forge was introduced as a guy working with the government specifically to build a "turn Rogue's powers off" gun. He accidentally shot Storm with it, and learned a valuable lesson about knock on effects.

Turning off a mutant's powers causes them to radically alter their hairstyle.