Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

They did the same placeholderthing when 777 release was close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

DC6B for X-Plane out..... sort of.

PMDG pricing has gotten a bit out of hand.

http://www.precisionmanuals.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=106&idcategory=10

Man, I could buy a real one for a tenth the price!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

But who's gonna fly it, kid? YOU!?

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
This is just a Public Service Announcement for X-Plane 10 owners:

XP10 has some awesome rear end free scenery. Go get it now, Download everything by Mr X.

http://rdesignx.weebly.com/x-plane.html

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php...5274bc8d6230ba1

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I think I might bite the bullet and buy XP10 when it hits Steam sale. Also P3DV3... also about the Dash 8, the Super Cub pack I found a while back, Quest Kodiak and god drat flight sim poo poo gets expensive.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I was thinking about getting X-Plane 10 since it looks to have some planes with clickable cockpits, and while DCS is fun, it doesn't really scratch the heavy cargo plane itch that I have.

I just have a few questions. First off, can you actually load cargo into your plane and have it affect weight? Also, are there any good cargo planes for the game, preferably older prop powered ones? (I tried searching for a c-119 but sadly couldn't find one) Finally, is there any sort of in game "here is your cargo, here is your destination" type function, or is it all up to you to pick?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

jadebullet posted:

So I was thinking about getting X-Plane 10 since it looks to have some planes with clickable cockpits, and while DCS is fun, it doesn't really scratch the heavy cargo plane itch that I have.

I just have a few questions. First off, can you actually load cargo into your plane and have it affect weight? Also, are there any good cargo planes for the game, preferably older prop powered ones? (I tried searching for a c-119 but sadly couldn't find one) Finally, is there any sort of in game "here is your cargo, here is your destination" type function, or is it all up to you to pick?

The A10 flies like a heavy cargo plane when you overload it :getin:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
There's this one http://www.justflight.com/product/air-hauler-for-x-plane-pc but I don't know if it's compatible with X-Plane 10 (the system requirements say 9). You might email them and ask. Here's a thread on an X-Plane forum that also mentions another 'career mode' sort of add-on, FSEconomy, and mentions compatibility between XP 10 and Air Hauler. I haven't played either though, so can't recommend one.

e: if I was going to say "here's a thread" I could have at least included a link to the thread :-/
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?s=b26797cd40fbfec5572cc826d0396cf2&showtopic=55627

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 26, 2015

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I see people on Twitch who do fake UPS stuff and fly cargo planes around based on FSEconomy knock off mods. I also can't speak to how well they work but you can try looking into some of their forums to see how it is set up. They are usually flying 747s or whatever freight carriers primarily use these days.

XP does have a number of really nice prop airliners like the Dash 8 but I haven't seen anything on the military side.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hmm, that air hauler add on looks good, but it also looks like it is incompatible with the 64 bit version of X-plane. It says that they are working on a fix, but it looks like that has been the case since 2011, and the new version is being developed for fsx and p3d, so I am feeling doubtful of a fix actually happening.

In regard to planes, I am mainly looking at things like the C-118/DC-6 in styling. Old, beater rear end cargo planes.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 25, 2015

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Air hauler is a bit weak when it comes to casual play though.. yiu need to check in and fly once a week or is it 3 or lose rating, you also need to build your way up to higher planes yiu can't just hop in a c130.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Air hauler is a bit weak when it comes to casual play though.. yiu need to check in and fly once a week or is it 3 or lose rating, you also need to build your way up to higher planes yiu can't just hop in a c130.

Ah yeah, I forgot about that. There are two big cargo add-ons for FSX, Air Hauler and Cargo Pilot. I don't have either, but I remember reading that one of them penalized you if you didn't fly a route every few weeks. Too bad if it's Air Hauler, I don't think Cargo Pilot is available for X-Plane. I fly FSPassengers for FSX which has its issues but is still a blast and makes it feel like you're actually doing something instead of just flying an empty plane around. It's kind of like a single-player virtual airline.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Unfortunately the dev for FSPax went MIA so chances of an update for FSX:SE are practically nil.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Kilonum posted:

Unfortunately the dev for FSPax went MIA so chances of an update for FSX:SE are practically nil.

This is my biggest gripe with the flightsim community in general. Especially with payware. I wish every add-on store had a clear release date and last updated info shown with the items.
It's really annoying to pay 30eur for an addon and find out it has some issues and the last update was in 2013 and the dev has moved on to other projects.

I just read on one developers support forum when people complained about some issues with plane, the dev said "It was our first plane, so yeah it has some issues. We won't be updating it." But you're happy to charge full price for it anyway!

I know it's a niche market and these things will happen, but it would be nice to have a clear indication of an inactive developer.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Kilonum posted:

Huh? I could have sworn I had FSX:SE and FSPax works fine (as well as can be expected I guess). If I have the F/A-18 I have FSX:SE, right?

e: wait, nvm, SE is Steam Edition, not Deluxe.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 25, 2015

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
FXpax claims to support fsx:se as of September. P3d support is incoming in the next few months.

Also GSX, Asn, and a bunch of stuff is on sale at simmarket for cheap holdouts like me.

E: jade- you can get 1 month of P3d for 10 bux to see if you actually like this money pit of a hobby.

Snaxx fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 25, 2015

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
ASN is so worth it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Does anyone have SkyMax v3 for xplane? If so how is it, worth it over v2?

They keep sending me a 50% off code for it because I have v2.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Btw, if I end up buying x-plane, what are some recommended add one? The OP just seems to have fsx stuff.

Edit: Is P3D worth getting instead? I don't know much about it other than it exists. How is it's plane selection?

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 25, 2015

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
XP 10 is half off on Steam right now

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Btw, if I end up buying x-plane, what are some recommended add one? The OP just seems to have fsx stuff.

Here's some stuff I've enjoyed with X-Plane.

This is _the_ cessna for x-plane:
http://www.airfoillabs.com/

I enjoy this plane, but I don't think it's worth it without a discount:
http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/product_info.php/mitsubishi-marquise-p-29

I don't know about good airliners for XP because I use P3D for those.

Loads of freeware airports easily downloaded via a map:
http://xpscenery.net/
(You can get all of the scenery on http://www.x-plane.org/ without paying buy I find the site to be worth the money once in a while)

Free really good free HD mesh:
http://www.alpilotx.net/

Free open street maps generated roads and buildings scenery:
http://simheaven.com/?page_id=3091

This adds beautiful raleigh scattering:
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=22387

This adds pretty clouds:
http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/product_info.php/skymaxx-pro-p-115

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Goetta posted:

XP 10 is half off on Steam right now

As is IL2 Stalingrad

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Listen to the thread title for Stalingrad. Do not buy it its a glorified tech demo.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

But how else can I pretend I'm a Night Witch?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Play the old one that's cheap as gently caress and also has a million times more content.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Edit: Is P3D worth getting instead? I don't know much about it other than it exists. How is it's plane selection?

Both have their strong points. P3D has a lot better selection in planes (most of the better FSX planes also work in or have a version for P3D).
P3D planes usually have a better systems simulation. PMDG 737NGX and Majestic Dash-8, for example, are incredibly good airliners for P3D. I don't think anything as good exists for XP because it's an even smaller market.

I personally enjoy the feel of X-Plane more for general aviation. So when I feel like flying GA I use XP. You can make the scenery really detailed with some of the free add-ons I linked so you can make the scenery a lot prettier on XP without paying a dime. Also, the night lighting on XP is beautiful. Cities and roads look so much better than on P3D at night.

If you mostly enjoy smaller planes and low flying, XP might be better for you. If you enjoy airliners and detailed navigation systems P3D is better. Or, as has been my situation, you'll end up getting both. Flightsimming is a big money sink no matter what.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
For scenery should I just say gently caress it and get OrbX when it comes on sale or is there something else that measures up to it?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I will probably grab XP then, especially since it is on sale.

I'm more of a small plane, and DC3 DC6 fan than large airliners and that payware DC6 is very tempting when it drops.

Thanks guys.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

That might be the way to go. Another advantage of X-Plane is that the analog gauges are really smooth. They often have a nice realistic wobble to them, so steam gauge planes like DC3 and DC6 should be really nice. I'm looking forward to the PMDG DC6 myself.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I kinda want to get XP10 for the Rotate MD-80.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Are there any reviews of the rotate md80? I like the fsx flythemaddog md80 but holy crap is it buggy.

If only that shared cockpit worked reliably though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Does flight sim economy work with Xplane? that may be a good alternative, it's free and you can rent any plane that's in their libarary.
Plus you can fly as much or as little as you want, and rent out your plane when you're not flying it if you own one.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

sellouts posted:

Are there any reviews of the rotate md80? I like the fsx flythemaddog md80 but holy crap is it buggy.

If only that shared cockpit worked reliably though.

Well, its not out yet. But I'll let you know when I buy it because I have a huge boner for the mad dog.

X-plane doesn't have a decent trunkliner other then the jank rear end JAR a320, And all I can say about that airplane is: " IT IS NOT OK SIR, IT IS NOT OK."

The A330 however is pretty nice.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

What about the FlightFactor jets?

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Forums Terrorist posted:

What about the FlightFactor jets?

Honestly they're probably the best of the X-plane tubeliners. Which is like being the worlds tallest midget but still. They're priced appropriately and get the important stuff right. I especially enjoy the 777. The 757 is probably a bit better modeled but the cockpit is a little dated looking. Pair them with vatsim and the awesome free scenery I linked and they'll be a grand ol time. They're not the second coming of PMDG but they're also not 100 making GBS threads dollars.

Lockmart Lawndart fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 25, 2015

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I saw that the Lionheart Creations Quest Kodiak was on sale for 12 bucks and I'd had my eye on it for a while. My review is as follows:

Meh. At least it was on sale.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

X-plane doesn't have a decent trunkliner other then the jank rear end JAR a320, And all I can say about that airplane is: " IT IS NOT OK SIR, IT IS NOT OK."

It really is so janky, it drove me back to fsx for jets. But I fly GA mostly now anyways, I should fire up a jet soon.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

tater_salad posted:

Does flight sim economy work with Xplane? that may be a good alternative, it's free and you can rent any plane that's in their libarary.
Plus you can fly as much or as little as you want, and rent out your plane when you're not flying it if you own one.

Yes there is a X-Plane FSE client and it works great. This guy http://www.4xplane.nl made a set of scenery for the 30,000 FSE airports in XP10, which populates them with procedurely generated taxiways, hangars, static aircraft and a FBO.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Meh. At least it was on sale.

X-Plane payware.txt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Colonial Air Force posted:

But how else can I pretend I'm a Night Witch?

Il-2 BoS/BoM doesn't even have the PO-2. :v: