Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crash74
May 11, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

sorry i did this instead

Hide your jpegs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

There's a lot of cut corners on the Vanguard too, the newest hangar-ready ship. If you can stomach the :smug: for a couple minutes this guy shows a lot of the missing detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZfEV6CejI

Like two-thirds of the interior including the full cockpit setup is just reused Retaliator assets, and half the exterior appears like they just ported over the website model. Keep in mind they're now selling a whole other ship, the Sabre, that is basically reusing the exterior assets of the Vanguard. Seems a bit suspicious.

I don't mind them reusing assets. Frankly I think it's better for a variety of reasons. It means they don't have to create new animations, they can use the legacy assets as a design guideline, and it establishes a sense of commonality between ships that share a manufacturer.

They also said they intended to release stuff earlier than before. I think it's a good thing.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

While I love this, you're giving croberts far too much credit. The rube goldberg machine in mouse trap actually works most of the time.

I still like this comparison best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMSV4OteqBE

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I don't follow this thread at all, just pop in and out again for the occasional space sim schadenfreude.

What's the context behind the thread title this time? Who's Karl?

It's not this guy

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I don't follow this thread at all, just pop in and out again for the occasional space sim schadenfreude.

What's the context behind the thread title this time? Who's Karl?

Karl is a part of this threads rogues gallery along with Seraph, Octopode and DickWulf. He pretends to be posting as multiple people that are all pretty easy to identify. He's hyper-obsessed with Derek Smart and has lately exhibited stalking behavior towards Bootcha.

He can go gently caress himself.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Berious posted:

Why does a space jpeg have air intakes for it's engines? My immersion is ruined.

e: beaten like a CIG employee

For those sweet planetary landing you plebe! HOW ELSE CAN I MAKE CROBERTS MAKE ANY MAOR CENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRBLBRLBRLBRLABALRL!!!!

Crash74
May 11, 2009

:allears: O' Karrrrrlll never stop buddy.

p.s. please give mushmouth at least 10k more just to spite us.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 25, 2015

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

Who, the Scy-Fy channel? Have you seen Sharknado?

Consider the big cutscene CIG chose to show us to promote S42. Even r/starcitizen couldn't bring themselves to say it was good and those guys are gushing over 2.0's crashtastic gameplay. The SC devout were offering helpful suggestions to Chris on how he could fix his lovely writing.

I think Sharknado might be a masterpiece in comparison. At least it's not 10 hours.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xaerael posted:

While I love this, you're giving croberts far too much credit. The rube goldberg machine in mouse trap actually works most of the time.

I still like this comparison best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMSV4OteqBE

The Rube Goldberg device only works in a very specific circumstance that has no bearing whatsoever with reality, and only with a fake, immobile, plastic facsimile of a mouse. It's a perfect representative.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Wafflz posted:

It was 311k on the spreadsheet that got passed around and mocked in the old GBS doobcitizen thread.

good times

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
This thread's title is hosed UP and I ain't for it!!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Rube Goldberg device only works in a very specific circumstance that has no bearing whatsoever with reality, and only with a fake, immobile, plastic facsimile of a mouse. It's a perfect representative.

I have to admit, I've gotta yield to your excellent argument.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Berious posted:

Consider the big cutscene CIG chose to show us to promote S42. Even r/starcitizen couldn't bring themselves to say it was good and those guys are gushing over 2.0's crashtastic gameplay. The SC devout were offering helpful suggestions to Chris on how he could fix his lovely writing.

I think Sharknado might be a masterpiece in comparison. At least it's not 10 hours.

That's why I said mini-series :v:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Nor them:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Crash74 posted:

please make mushmouth's head pop out of fat man's stomach like in total recall (the good one). TIA!

wait on second thought would you accept this concept jpeg?

I think with some more resources behind us we can make this TBDJPEGE

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Agrajag posted:

good times

lol the hug box people used to sound a lot like karl when they raided the gbs thread.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Flavor Truck posted:

This thread's title is hosed UP and I ain't for it!!

Looks like we caught us a Karl boys. Just not the Karl we was after.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hey Karl

Guess what, Karl

Go gently caress yourself, Karl!

Crash74
May 11, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

wait on second thought would you accept this concept jpeg?

I think with some more resources behind us we can make this TBDJPEGE

:boom: hahahaha

e: youuu needd too buyyy moreee jpeg'ssss to fulfill the prophecyss sooo weee cannn bee freeee.

ee: sandi should have one where she has three tits.
eee: gently caress it just remake the movie, Derek can be the cabbie with the weird arm (not because he's black, but because he is the coolest dude in the movie) and karl can be arnold, but he doesn't get a hot wife he gets fat dude #2 at the end. They don't get air they get a spew of jpegs and their heads explode.

Saw it in a fever dream, it was better than star wars.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 25, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Former Quality Assurance Lead at Havoc weighs in with a detailed post about potential flaws in Star Citizen's Exploration and Economic models, among other things...

Excerpts are his conclusions only, taken out of the broader context of his worth-reading missive.

ON EXPLORATION:

quote:

Contention: In order for you to be a remarkable explorer in any sense of the word, you must be an explorer at heart and have what it takes to be one and thus be able to withstand the excruciating amount of time it will take to do great things as an explorer...obviously this is a gradient and you should be able to explore within a time frame that suits you, but great things should be (and I can't emphasize this enough) really hard won.
ON THE ECONOMY:

quote:

Contention: The economy should be entirely player controlled, let those who are ruthless traders at heart lead the way, even if that means getting NPC's to adjust their prices to the selling and buying habits of players between themselves (call it a compromise if you will, if the NPC market is to remain somehow) and change their trade routes according to what players do (piracy, areas in conflict needing re-supply, outposts etc) and where they are etc.
ON THE PVP-INVOLVEMENT SLIDER:

quote:

Contention: I think it's a huge mistake allowing people to separate themselves from the world in any degree (or "filter" the world, if you prefer). I think the overall experience of everyone (yes, everyone, I'm not just exaggerating for effect) will suffer in the long run. You may not see it in the beginning, but my experience says otherwise unfortunately and I actually think I'm right about this.

Agent_Mothman, as usual, is setting the tone in his brief reply:

quote:

ON EXPLORATION:
No. This was never meant to be some max hardcore super sim. It has to be accessible, especially to people that can't sperg out in front of their pc, playing for weeks at a time.

ON THE ECONOMY:
No. Go play EVE.

ON THE PVP-INVOLVEMENT SLIDER:
Then don't use it.

For my part, I think the OP has some really valid points. I can't imagine someone spending $1000+ on spaceships is doing so because they want a shallow, arcady space pewpew they can pop-in-and-out-of casually. People I've talked with who have several times that invested have said things like, "This is pretty much the game I plan to play for the rest of my life."

Their expectation is for depth and breadth-- for a world filled with perpetual adventure, surprises, and reversals of fortune. A universe that rewards those who invested both the money and their time with a gaming experience that makes them the lead star in the most amazing interactive SCI-FI television series ever created. (And, it must be said, a game which puts Elite Dangerous and Eve (as MMOs) and Mass Effect (as sci-fi RPG) to absolute shame by comparison.)

That is what CIG is promising with claims that they're making the Best drat Space Sim Ever. This is what got them $96M and counting. This is the measure by which they will be judged if and when they actually release a finished game.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Karl is a part of this threads rogues gallery along with Seraph, Octopode and DickWulf. He pretends to be posting as multiple people that are all pretty easy to identify. He's hyper-obsessed with Derek Smart and has lately exhibited stalking behavior towards Bootcha.

He can go gently caress himself.

Why is the RSI forums so obsessed with the SA forums?

What? Because we said a few mean words and hurt their feelings? :qq:

And why are they so slavishly devoted over a space sim? Are there other cases (besides the Xbone) where a sunk cost has caused such cargo cultish behavior?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 25, 2015

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't mind them reusing assets. Frankly I think it's better for a variety of reasons. It means they don't have to create new animations, they can use the legacy assets as a design guideline, and it establishes a sense of commonality between ships that share a manufacturer.

They also said they intended to release stuff earlier than before. I think it's a good thing.

I'm of two minds about it. On the one hand, I agree with you- less engineering debt. On the other hand, they're selling that ship for $275. It really should have as much care put into it as the other ships. And on the other other hand, they don't need more ships. They keep promising, and selling, new fighters when it's evident from this and the Sabre and the Archimedes that they are now reduced to just tacking on some fins or whatever and calling it a new concept sale. It's pointless bloat for the sake of short-term profit.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

And why are they so slavishly devoted over a space sim? Are there other cases (besides the Xbone) where a sunk cost has caused such cargo cultish behavior?

Because a certain contingent think Derek Smart is using us or vice-versa to attack the game for either his benefit, or our amusement. They've been encouraged in this thinking by CIG basically behaving as though it were true, revealing on several occasions that they do actually read and maybe even obsess over this thread at HQ. CIG's customer management team is really bad at their jobs.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Because it might stop non dumb fucks from giving mushmouth more money if they do a little bit of research?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
AnniVERSEary Sale: Industrial Starships

:uhaul:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Sarsapariller posted:

Because a certain contingent think Derek Smart is using us or vice-versa to attack the game for either his benefit, or our amusement. They've been encouraged in this thinking by CIG basically behaving as though it were true, revealing on several occasions that they do actually read and maybe even obsess over this thread at HQ. CIG's customer management team is really bad at their jobs.

Wow, you guys really weren't exaggerating with the 1984 analogy, huh? :stare: :stonklol:

Goldberg is watching you, RSI forums!!!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Karl spent at least $5k on Star Citizen while posting in this thread and the last one that he hadn't spent anything at all on it. He just wanted to correct our misunderstandings about the best pc game ever.

Which is stupid.

But he secretly was trying to protect his "investment" by negating criticism with his awesome posting skills, which somehow turned out to be stupider. He's now been reduced to bitching about us on reddit while pretending he doesn't know Karl but knows Karl wouldn't like being called a goon.

Karl just isn't too bright, in case you hadn't figured that out by now.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15084-Kruger-P-72-Archimedes-Q-A

Wait wait wait. Is the Archimedes being sold as a loving racing ship now? Did they actually take out the main gun to put in a fuel tank? Jesus Christ, the Phoenix owners get absolutely hosed at every turn. It is the Cutlass 2.0 and I'm so glad I sold mine on the grey market before all this came out.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Sarsapariller posted:

There's a lot of cut corners on the Vanguard too, the newest hangar-ready ship. If you can stomach the :smug: for a couple minutes this guy shows a lot of the missing detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZfEV6CejI

Like two-thirds of the interior including the full cockpit setup is just reused Retaliator assets, and half the exterior appears like they just ported over the website model. Keep in mind they're now selling a whole other ship, the Sabre, that is basically reusing the exterior assets of the Vanguard. Seems a bit suspicious.

TBH them reusing assets from another completed ship sounds like the smartest thing I've seen them do design wise in a really long time. You have three Aegis ships, all three have more or less the same cockpit. Throw them all together. Give them all a really nice, clean and universal UI and everything else revolves around how many other stations the ship needs to have and the according internal space.

It's what they ultimately did in Freelancer. Take your basic small ship and then tack more poo poo onto it to make it the larger version. Given the insane overhead each one of these ships presents even when you're cheating attempting to sculpt each one out is insane.

Not that CIG will admit that they're reusing assets.

Sarsapariller posted:

Wait wait wait. Is the Archimedes being sold as a loving racing ship now? Did they actually take out the main gun to put in a fuel tank? Jesus Christ, the Phoenix owners get absolutely hosed at every turn. It is the Cutlass 2.0 and I'm so glad I sold mine on the grey market before all this came out.

Sucks for the Phoenix crowd because their numbers and their position weren't as robust as the Cutlass mob. As such CIG was able to merrily go in and shut down their thread without fear of anything beyond a group of angry people that they already took money from.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 25, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The Something Awful forums are one of the last places where critical discussions about the goings on in the Star Citizen / CIG world have continued without interruption or co-optation. That dissent is festering, skepticism growing, and blasphemies against Chris and Sandi are not only tolerated but (generally) agreed upon here is a source of enormous frustration to those who've successful turned /starcitizen into yet another Brown Sea echo chamber of non-stop high-fiving and self-contragulation and who carpet bomb gaming blogs and articles with more of the same.

Spergs are in non-stop tug-of-war with skeptics over Narrative control. Essential to preserving their Self-Narratives are notions like:

quote:

"Chris Roberts is creating the best drat space sim ever!"

"This incredible work is the game I will play for the rest of my life!"

"Sandi is a marketing genius!"

"I am not an idiot for spending $5000 on space pixels, I'm investing in a dream I've held since childhood and therefore it's money well spent!", etc.
Time will tell which Narrative ultimately proves the most true, but in the shorter term, it's extremely discomfiting to them to know that not everyone holds those "truths" to be self-evident, and some even believe them laughably outrageous falsehoods.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Actually, a lot of other sites are obsessed with SA. In the online tabletop gaming world, SA is known as a hive of SJW thought that is trying to destroy gaming.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That isn't any sort of joke, tabletop gaming is just insane.

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.
Elite Dangerous is a real non jpeg based Space Game and is $15 (67% off) right now.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Wow, you guys really weren't exaggerating with the 1984 analogy, huh? :stare: :stonklol:

Goldberg is watching you, RSI forums!!!

In her CitizenCon emotional breakdown/introductory speech, Sandi referred to an "anonymous hate campaign" against her. She was almost definitely referring to this thread.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Dusty Lens posted:

Sucks for the Phoenix crowd because their numbers and their position weren't as robust as the Cutlass mob. As such CIG was able to merrily go in and shut down their thread without fear of anything beyond a group of angry people that they already took money from.

It gets even better:

A backer posted:

11:04:54 TheDarkestStig Hey Matt, I hear rumours the additional powerplants of the Phoenix are tied to the luxury interior. Can you confirm if this is the plan?

11:05:32 CIG Matt Sherman The additional small powerplant that the phoenix has would be, ya. Different interior modules will carry different components with them.

11:05:54 TheDarkestStig Ah, so we may see different interior modules? Cool. Just hope I'm not tied to the hot tub :)

11:05:56 CIG Matt Sherman It's just like the Living Module for a Tali will be providing an addtional life support component when installed, but if you remove that room, you lose that component.

11:06:50 TheDarkestStig Phoenix only gets one additional Small powerplant? How does that scale with the Size 7 vs Size 6 powerplant it was originally sold with? I was under the impression that the scale was not linear

11:07:33 CIG Matt Sherman The old sizes honestly didn't have any tuning or balance standing up their specs compared to whats prepped for the updated component system.

So you remember that upgunned Phoenix we sold you as a "VIP Armored Car" with extra power plants and some other improved poo poo, that you bought for like $200 more than the base variant? gently caress YOU, the extra powerplants are tied to the hot tub and they don't do poo poo! The souped-up plane is a racer! It's a gaudy piece of crap and will have no in-game purpose!

They basically straight up lied by omission on this one. They billed it as "Luxury" and sold it with all these statistical +1's over the base variant, after a string of sales where the highest price ship always had some sort of combat advantage. And then it turns out the "Luxury" actually meant "Tacky garbage" because clearly that's what the backers really wanted.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 25, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

In her CitizenCon emotional breakdown/introductory speech, Sandi referred to an "anonymous hate campaign" against her. She was almost definitely referring to this thread.

her speech at the start of citizencon was still the best thing ever

like how the gently caress does that even happen? narcissistic harpy must have everyone trembling in fear

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

like how the gently caress does that even happen? narcissistic harpy must have everyone trembling in fear

What was the deal with those flowers? That lady bought them in then she and Sandi awkwardly handed them back and forth a while. Was that bit planned? So many questions.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Matt "Skillcheck" Sherman.

He had a great meltdown when Beer questioned him back when Beer still had the capacity for love. Fled the RSI chatroll after announcing that he was being hounded into a departure. What a guy.

I can't wait for them to talk about what the gently caress Sandi was doing up there when they release the 'making of' documentary for this thing.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Godmode Enabled posted:

Elite Dangerous is a real non jpeg based Space Game and is $15 (67% off) right now.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/

That's probably a bad deal unless you're just dying to play ED right this second but haven't bought in yet. The expansion is out very soon and will include the base game.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The best bit is I'm sure even in that crowd of true believers who'd paid to attend there were a fair few people thinking "this is really odd and I'm not sure why I think that".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Yeah, that and the anonymous hate of former employees.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 2, 2016

• Locked thread