Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Command Race for 8 to have the Bright Ones set up a settled civilization based on breeding different coral-making lifeforms and kelp-based agriculture. If I have to specify a location for this then hex 05.21

Shape Climate (x2) for 4 to create a savanna between the deserts, mountains, and Josef's planned scrubland. The area marked yellow on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Personally, I'm glad you do make the maps. It makes it easier for me to visualize what's going on, myself. Actually, pass my turn for now.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 22, 2015

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Round 7

"Wait, how big is this?"

Of course, it was only natural that the gods didn't have a good scope of reality, looking down from high. They grumble when their chosen infantry divisions take so long to march across this misshapen province elsewhere, after all, never truly realizing the sheer hell they were putting the mortals through with their orders. Even when painting - especially when painting, as there was nothing to look at, to compare towards. Still, they knew they were digging deep into the earth, churning the coil to create grand rivers, rivers that show up on atlases. Equally magnificent - nay, Great lakes, too. See what I did there aaay.

There was still untouched regions, however. Now that the underlying elder species of the world started to form their civilization - or, rather, create habitual hang out spots, it was a stark reminder that the time for People was neigh. Maybe not here, but elsewhere along Amarath gods were surely preparing to deposit sentient life, too. And with it would come to an end the wondrous sculpting power the godlings had. But not yet.

14,13 houses a volcano which spews out magical crystals and energies.
33,25 holds a crashed meteorite which is arcane in makeup.
It is said the north eastern desert contains a sprawling underground...
It is said at 12,21 there is a grand tree, always bearing magical fruit that heals all ails.

The Bright Ones exist, lingering out beneath the waves...

Tempus Rimeblood 23
paradoxGentleman 11 +
Josef bugman 14 +
JesterofAmerica 6 +
rakovsky maybe 10 ++
Epicurius 19
+ is merely a mark for the bonus point(s) for me

In addition to their action, players may now vote to move onto the next age. This has to be unanimous to happen - until beyond round ten, when it only takes one.

Cold dice.

A few things! First... Alright, if you're gonna do rivers I'm afraid I have to have you draw it out on the map instead of just listing hexes. I have to draw it in one go which makes it a bit to difficult to flip back and forth. Second! I just noticed that we aren't actually using any hills! This is fine, I can just go back and scribble some hills in when we're done/at the end of the age, but feel free to make just say something is hilly. There's hills for about every hex. Third! The Bright ones need a color. I forgot about this, my bad. (All distinct civilizations need their own color for map purposes.) It's the only one so not really an issue yet.

As for the map... the southern isle still has little going on, as does the SE side of the map as a whole. Similarly, new-rivers aside, north of the sea is bare. Beyond that it looks pretty usable. You have three more probably-first-age turns to go, so keep in mind where you want your species, if any, to go and maybe give it a delicate hex-touch. The cost does go up soon.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
6 points turn turn the northern half of the southeast island into savanna. (Basically 33.26 and upper part of the island)

JesterOfAmerica fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 23, 2015

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
When it's my turn, 3 points for shrubland in 30:17, 20:09, 21:06, 22:06, 23:07, 23;10
3 points for forests in 16:08, 17:07; 10:09 (hilly), 19:09, 23:19, 24;17

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Command Race for 8 to have the Bright Ones settle as much of the reef as possible. For a color feel free to pick, something that stands out against the blue of the water would be good (white-yellow?)

Voting NO on advancing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Holding on to my points for now.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Spend 3 points to generate hills on 08:11, 08:10, 08:09, 32.25, 33.25, 32.26.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
I'd like to spend 20 to Create Race. Basically I'm creating a race of sentient plant-like humanoids that live in the swamplands around the central river delta south of the desert.

Let's call them The Qud'Xu.

Physical Description: Vaguely humanoid, sporting four limbs and a torso, the Qud'Xu are beings composed entirely of what appear to be moss and vines. They stand about seven feet tall on their hind legs, and are extremely heavy.

They communicate through pheromones, and a rudimentary spoken language, and tend to travel alone or in breeding pairs. They do not develop tools, primarily due to the fact that their forms are malleable and can be adapted to suit the tasks at hand.

They require damp environments to live, and are not keen on daylight, as they are extremely photosensitive. They hunt at night, feeding on small animals by surrounding them and consuming their life force through their viny tendrils.

Also, civilization color is a seafoam green.

Voting YES on advancing to the next age.

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 25, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

For what it's worth I also vote yes

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Round 8

"You know, it's only natural the ancient races are all these vile monster things. That's just how the system works, right? Usually it's lizardfolk, but whatever works." A few nods from the assembly of divines. Now that their caretakers had left them - there was a lot of screeching on the other side of the developing world, something about not just painting the world in stripes or something - it was rather relaxing.

Already life on the rather humid continent started to move, civilization forming among the Bright Ones in the distant reef-shelf. Pockets of life settled in among various particularly "open" regions, although there was only one other city founded. Now the Bright Ones are two cities big, though had little more to grow on their reef.

It is said at 12,21 there is a grand tree, always bearing magical fruit that heals all ails.

The Bright Ones exist, lingering out beneath the waves... They are Beige. (Rakosky, )
The feral Qud'xu linger in the jungle-delta, preying on various creatures within. They are lime green. (Tempus, )

Tempus Rimeblood 9 +
paradoxGentleman 15
Josef bugman 25
JesterofAmerica 6 ++
rakovsky maybe 14 +++
Epicurius 19

In addition to their action, players may now vote to move onto the next age. This has to be unanimous to happen - until beyond round ten, when it only takes one.

I hope you don't all intend on "weird" races. A few are certainly fine, natch, but part 2 might be a little weird if everyone involved doesn't even have a face. :v:

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Haha don't worry Gamerofthegame, I was always planning on the Bright Ones (and the Qud'Zu fit perfectly as well) being the sort of alien Elder races that are common in fantasy. My plan is to make something(s) much more approachable in the Race age.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Yeah mine will have a face, just have narcotics for blood.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Sorry to hear you say that, because I am making nothing but weirdos and will strongly oppose anything with a torso and two sets of limbs.
I have a couple of questions: can we control other people's races in this phase of the game? And you explain how the symbols work? The cities must be those sets of four lines (skyscrapers?) since the Bright Ones have two, so are the houses villages?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

Sorry to hear you say that, because I am making nothing but weirdos and will strongly oppose anything with a torso and two sets of limbs.
I have a couple of questions: can we control other people's races in this phase of the game? And you explain how the symbols work? The cities must be those sets of four lines (skyscrapers?) since the Bright Ones have two, so are the houses villages?

Ah yes. Because the Bright ones made something resembling towers befoooore, they get the skyscraper tile as their City. The smaller ones are just "people are here" and that probably won't last forever as "something on the map" but we'll see.

As far as Dawn of Worlds is concerned, you only can make armies in Cities, as well as influence Cities with divine actions. Anything less then a city might as well not exist, or is merely roped in with the species/civilization as a whole.

You can influence and gently caress with other people's stuff, however, yes. But it's not that simple! You need a religious sect or order within a species/civilization; when you create a civilization you get one for free and can command race all day long. Other people would need to create order within the given city/race before they can command race. Paradoxically you can order everyone else's orders around, though at a sharp cost increase. (+10 for a religious-themed one, +5 otherwise. This is on top of the age cost.) So;

You need to have made an order/sect/group/whatever in a given race/civilization to be able to command race. You can command city all you like.
When you create race you get command rights forever, as if you had an order/etc.
You can command other people's orders/etc, however there is a mild penalty. There is no such penalty for cities, but the command city is more of a free-form thing.

I'm unsure how I'll do avatars, but we'll see when we get to that point. Whatever makes sense, I guess. Anyone might command a terrible dragon. (Maybe it'll be up to the creating player? We'll go with that.)

Not confusing at all!

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Don't worry, the Qud'Xu are the extent of the weirdness I'm coming up with for now.

I am, however, going to spend 8 to Command Race.

The Qud'Xu do not have cities, in the common nomenclature, but they have a place where they all must go. It is the GREEN, and it is the birthplace of the true civilization of the Qud'Xu. Their culture is kept engraved in bone and wood, buried beneath the mud in burrows and caves and marked with the pheromones of the most powerful Qud'Xu sages. And so, the Qud'Xu began to domesticate the swamp, living beneath the mud and water and cultivating the small beasts of the land for food. Being carnivorous and made of plant matter, the Qud'Xu have no need for vegetable-based food. Their livestock raising, however, is very good indeed.

Creating a city at 27.11.

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 26, 2015

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
4 points to turn 24.21-24.24, 21.23, 22.23, 22.24, 23.24, 23.23, 7.14, 7.15, 8.15

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Into?

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Jungle sorry,

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I wikl spend 8 points to create the Knights of the Currents, an order of Bright Ones that, having domesticated whales and other marine creatures of great size, plant themselves on them and explore the sea and the world, vowing to experience all of its joys and wonders and discover all of its secrets.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 27, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Spending 20 points to add a new race. The first ones to have a new development. "Faces" popping these guys down on 06.04

The Chrr are bipedal creatures that live on the northern most island of this part of the world. At the present time they are formed into loose kinship groups and mainly live on the coastlines and in the mountains caves. They are reasonably tall, about 6"5 when fully grown and appear to have a very long life cycle, if a more mammalian one than the deep ones. The kinship groups on the lower plains are mainly pastoralists, herding but moving between set grounds. Those that live in the mountains are stationary, but live through hunting and gathering. They have no written language but already some differences are beginning to develop between the mountain and the plain peoples. Wether this will diversify or end is anyone's guess at the moment.

Also spending 3 points on making 05.01, 06.02, 07.02, 08.03, 09.03 and 04.03 into hillocks!

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 27, 2015

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Advance Civilization for 10 on the Bright Ones to have them learn a specialized form of magic where they mesmerize and command other beings through flashing their bioluminescent lights in preordained patterns. A simple practitioner can ward off predators or lure and becalm prey animals, but an elder sage can command whole groups of sentient beings, including other Bright Ones. The consequence of this is the previous extended-family structure of Bright One civilization collapses in the wake of the Dominators and their thrall armies, and so Corrupt Civ (Bright Ones) for 4.

Also, its the Bright Ones not the Deep Ones though I can understand the mistake.

Edit: Also voting No on moving forward, if it matters.

rakovsky maybe fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 28, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Sorry about that, I'll correct my post.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sorry for the Thanksgiving related delays:

I see everybody else is getting into the civilization creating game, but I'm a purist. I'm going to continue at worldshaping, so that way, when, as inevitably happens, the ancient elder races all get wiped out by cataclysm or decline, the humanoid races of the second age come to power, they'll actually have a place to live. In your face, Cthulhu!

3 points to create swamps 22:19, 23:19, 25;17, 26;18, 7;17, 7:25

3 points to create forest 7:0, 7:1, 10:1, 12:2, 13:2 13:3,

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I just wanted to make sure that the plane had at least one race with a face.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

No worries, update will be "soon."

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Man, I feel like the Qud'Xu are gonna get shafted on all the developments, haha. I was thinking more "Swamp Thing" than "Shambling Mound," but not having faces is kind of a big deal, yeah.

Either way, looking forward to way more Bright One developments - I have to say it would be weird (and cool) to see the dominant species of Amarath basically be Elder Things.

Ninja Edit: Not complaining at all, I think the Bright Ones are awesome. Please nobody take that the wrong way. :shobon:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Round 9

It was a little concerning, honestly, this Godling bunch's obsession with jungles. Jungles lined all corners of the continient, from its islands to the mainland itself. They even bordered the frigid northern end - even attempting to take root in the coral reef, causing quite a commotion in the Bright Ones as the shelf suddenly surged upwards around the middle, cracking and bending their precious outlying barrens as the forgotten collection of bones poked out from the lapping ocean waves, instead. Ultimately a swamp wouldn't prevail there, not under the harsh environment - but a marsh would, enough "land" and fauna lingering to make it difficult for even a rowboat to claw its way through the area, else is get caught up in a plethora of reeds and kelp and whatever else.

It was a defining moment for the Bright Ones, however. In an instant their "civilization" was broken into two, requiring some time to figure out how to move across the empty expanse of the ocean - ultimately by moving through underwater caverns underneath the marsh. It gave them a definite answer to a lingering question; they were not alone. Some higher power touched the earth and sea they lingered on - there was more to the world then just the reef. Where many ancient civilizations might linger in the background for thousands of years, never truly blossoming, the Bright Ones ultimately would only remain idle for a petty century instead. The act of god(s) inspired them and they explored; the knights of the currents ventured from their coral dominion to the world at large, piggy backed on domestic whales and other massive sea creatures. Curious where the knights even came from, given the time. Studies and research into that great power that changed the earth turned... out to be completely fruitless, as mortal creatures would never wield the might of magic in this world, but the studies brought way to new uses of their physiology, hypnotic charms. It was barely a decade before a cartel of a few grand sages ruled the whole of the Bright Ones, in immortal secret, molding their people towards their eager, imperialistic ambitions on the world at large. It was bigger then the reef.

Much bigger.

The Chrr and Qud'xu were out there, after all. Although none of the three parties knew that, not just yet.

The Bright Ones exist, lingering out beneath the waves... They are Beige. Their most powerful and wise are known for their charming, hyponotic "magic," while the Knights of the Current champion out from their reef. However, they have a -1 alignment... (Rakosky, Paradox )
The feral Qud'xu hunt in the jungle-delta, preying on various creatures within. They are mountain brown. (Tempus, )
The Chrr, some crude amalgamation of any blue-color spectrum Blizzard fantasy species, reside out in the northern isle, making their home on the relatively narrow basin between mountain and sea.

Tempus Rimeblood 10 ++
paradoxGentleman 14
Josef bugman 11 +
JesterofAmerica 12 +++
rakovsky maybe 11 +++
Epicurius 20

In addition to their action, players may now vote to move onto the next age. This has to be unanimous to happen - until beyond round ten, when it only takes one. (It is round nine.)

Can't see lime green on jungle tiles, not really, so it's brown instead. I'll spruce up the civilization listing at some point or another.

Josef bugman posted:

Also spending 3 points on making 05.01, 06.02, 07.02, 08.03, 09.03 and 04.03 into hillocks!

I also forgot this and it will be added in the next update. (Your points are still deducted, tho.)

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
I'm holding my points this round

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
EDIT: Lemme just hold onto my points I suppose.

Also I vote No on moving forward.

rakovsky maybe fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 1, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Adding more ice and holding on to my 2 remaining points until next turn. When we will almost certainly be moving on.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Turn 6 points worth of ocean into reef, all around the south-western peninsula, the smallest island and bits and pieces in between, as you like.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Sitting on my points, voting no on the next age (because we're gonna go to the next age soon anyway)

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
3 points for Swamp 21;19, 22:19, 23:19, 24:18, 27;21, 14;10.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Round 10

It is time. Fugitive whispers run out across the Godlings, as the weavers of time finally awoken from their slumber, ready to crash down on the world and bring meaning to all the life within it. Gods of nature and life began sprinkling their flora and fauna across the realms in earnest, something beyond the mere "placeholders" set before, awaiting the constant changes in the environment. Another age was looming, just around the corner...

As long as someone demanded it.

The Bright Ones exist, lingering out beneath the waves... They are Beige. Their most powerful and wise are known for their charming, hyponotic "magic," while the Knights of the Current champion out from their reef. However, they have a -1 alignment... (Rakosky, Paradox )
The feral Qud'xu hunt in the jungle-delta, preying on various creatures within. They are mountain brown. (Tempus, )
The Chrr, some crude amalgamation of any blue-color spectrum Blizzard fantasy species, reside out in the northern isle, making their home on the relatively narrow basin between mountain and sea.

Tempus Rimeblood 12
paradoxGentleman 18
Josef bugman 12 ++
JesterofAmerica 19
rakovsky maybe 17
Epicurius 25

Any one player may make the call to move onto the next age. Not sure why ya'll decided to be all passive and ultimately no-vote moving on, but hey.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Holding Points and Yes

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Holding points, also yes.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

12 points spent on turning the yellow highlighted areas into pine forest

Also voting yes on moving on.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 7, 2015

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Spending 10 points to Create Avatar

The Radiant

The mesmeric mysticism practiced by the Bright Ones had consequences for the race's collective psyche. Every time a Dominator overpowered a weaker mind, part of the subjugator's and captive's mind, intellect, or soul was exchanged. As this happened on a larger and larger scale, the most powerful Dominators began to feel a foreign presence in their own minds. They came to know it as The Radiant - a being of blinding light and immeasurable psionic power. At first it just subtly guided their decisions: a choice here, an unseen inkling there, and so on. Until one day a Dominator, trying to extend his ability and grasp onto as many minds as possible, found their own mental prowess overwhelmed by this alien god. Their lights flared as The Radiant burned itself into being, deep ocean water boiling and hissing as if a thermal vent had opened. The Dominators soon found their own position of power now subjugated to the whim of this thing, who would burn through a Bright One body every few months and then burst into being inside another one a few days after fading.

Spend 4 points to Corrupt Civ on the Bright Ones as the power structure of The Radiant > Dominators > Everyone else becomes firmly entrenched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Oh alright, I'll hold onto my points as well.

• Locked thread