Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

What is this game?

Legend of Grimrock is Almost Human's first ever game, released in 2012 as an homage to classic RPG games on the PC but with more streamlined game elements. In this game, the player controls four prisoners as a nondescript nation dumped them inside a strange mountain fortress, promising them absolution of their crimes if they can solve the mystery of Mount Grimrock and escape alive. The players are helped by a mysterious dreamer that shares the same dreams as them, along with a fellow prisoner known as Toorum that has scouted ahead solo and given the players some assistance.

For this LP however, we are not the four prisoners but rather Toorum. Welcome to the LP of Mister Thunderbolt.

Plans for the LP

The mode that inspired the Grimrock 2 challenge run, this LP will cover the much-discussed Toorum mode. Joined by Killer Emcee and Uzworm, we putz around Mount Grimrock as I try to be informative, make bad jokes and desperately try to remember everything about the game.

A note: While I am well versed in this game, I am not as outlandishly experienced with it as with Grimrock 2. This will not actively be 100%, but if you bring up any secrets I might've forgotten I'll make the effort to at least try and check it out.

Table of Contents

Toorum's Logs, aka a handy playlist.

Episode 1: There's Nowhere Toorum!
Episode 2: Arachnophobia
Episode 3: A Puzzle Jamboree
Episode 4: Toorum's Crab Shack
Episode 5: LPs in the 80s
Episode 6: Slime Approaches. Command?
Episode 7: This is B-A-N-A-N-A-S
Episode 8: gently caress Floor 9
Episode 9: Gorgomorgs that do your taxes
Final Episode: You cannot escape jail

What is this game?

This is the story of a country with a bad prisoner rehabilitation policy.

Jokes aside, Legend of Grimrock 2 is the sequel to the cult-classic Grimrock 1, developed by Almost Human studios. Both games are inspired from classic PC games such as "Dungeon Master" and "Eye of the Beholder," but with some more modern design choices implemented in order to streamline the gameplay. Grimrock 2 is a sequel in a loose sense; we don't see the return of Grimrock Tower or our stalwart adventurers from the first game, however its implied that the country from the first game is still exporting their prisoners for whatever reason. This time our batch of prisoners find themselves shipwrecked on a strange island filled with ancient curiosities and dangers abound, and this new pack of outlaws must solve the Island Master's puzzles in order to stand a chance at survival let alone escaping the island.

However this LP will have a twist. It is the story of William Scabs, a poor ratling farmer that's all alone on this island.

Plans for the LP

First off, prefacing this with a slight spoiler warning: The LP will spoil a lot of puzzles and do a bunch of sequence breaks. If you're blind to the game, the LP might sour your experience, but not by much.

This LP will be a single-character challenge playthrough, akin to Toorum mode in Grimrock 1. This means I will be extremely limited in how I can approach certain endeavors and what I can do since I will have 1/4th the manpower that the developers intended players to have. Conversely, I will be showing off a slew of neat tricks and routes that appear from the open-ended structure of this game. While the game wasn't intended to be done with a single character, there are many dirty and devious tricks players can pull off in order to survive the harrowing encounters and devious tricks the developers implemented in order to make this challenge viable. There will also be much discussion about game design, mainly due to how flexible Grimrock 2 is but also due to how much of the game was designed with Grimrock 1 players in mind.

Table of Contents

The Diary of William Scabs (aka a playlist for easy binge viewing)

Episode 1: Meet William Scabs
Episode 2: William hates zombies
Episode 3: Scabs has been known to get things
Episode 4: William meets his extended family
Episode 5: William explores nature. Nature's scary.
Episode 6: Scabs almost croaked!
Episode 7: William fancies himself a wizard
Episode 8: Scabs Rue-ins this day
Episode 9: William meets a friend
Episode 10: Sewer Surfin'
Episode 11: Voices in William's head
Episode 12: William got books for christmas!
Episode 13: The Big Ol' Egyptian Pyramid Caper Part 1.....Part 2.....Part WAR!
Episode 14: A grave new years for Scabs
Episode 15: Scabs deals with some dead-beats
Episode 16: William's finally a wizard
Debrief Vid

Links of Interest

Iron Chitlin's Grimrock 1 LP for those curious about the first game
ThornBrain's Grimrock 2 LP where it actually shows off everything in a psuedo D&D style
My review of Legend of Grimrock 2 for anyone wanting to see a condensed summary of my thoughts on Grimrock 2

Fanart

The Island Master observes William

Highwang fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
I'm certainly looking forward to this. I never did finish my run of this game...

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Highwang playing Grimlock two?

Well okay then. I'm good with that.

Will Olesh fall asleep in this LP too?

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Look interesting so far. Definitely will watch.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'm disappointed you didn't use the smug rat face.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

This sounds like a long invested ordeal and I wish you goonspeed.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Fishmen are called Zarchtons.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
This looks really neat. Is there a reason why you're hoarding so much food for later? You look like you've got another levelup or more sitting around in the form of turtle steaks, with plenty to stave off actual hunger later.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Mzbundifund posted:

This looks really neat. Is there a reason why you're hoarding so much food for later? You look like you've got another levelup or more sitting around in the form of turtle steaks, with plenty to stave off actual hunger later.

Purely mechanical for now, though part of it is also from a sort of mindset which will be explained in later episodes. For now I'll just call it "Megalixer mindset"

Pierzak posted:

I'm disappointed you didn't use the smug rat face.

Guinea pig was considered. Didn't really give off that dingy farmer mindset though.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Episode 2: William hates zombies

Just more natural progression. Things don't vary until episode 3.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Just noticed this thread, looks good so far! Will definitely keep up with this.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I remember those cartwheeling twiggy guys. They dealt an inordinate amount of damage to me before I figured them out. I really like how this game splits the difference between learning the foes and quick reflexes. It helps that the game is pretty darn beautiful to look at too.

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best
I'll be watching the adventure of this fine skaven. :D

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Really enjoying this so far. I've only really played the first game (and never finished it) and am keen to see how the second one works. I enjoy how informative your commentary is as well. Looking forward to more episodes!

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I'm liking this LP quite a bit. I haven't played Grimrock 2 since release and need a refresher course anyway. I'm especially looking forward to the part where you get teleported into the giant desert.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
As cool as the outdoors areas are, they kind of turned me off of the game compared to Grimrock 1. Which is weird because I was more than happy enough as a kid to accept Lands of Lore as a worthy spiritual successor to Dungeon Master.

I'm looking forwards to seeing the parts of the game I didn't get to :)

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I looked at the thread title and thought "Yep, Rat Farmer."

I was not disappointed. Super entertaining so far, man.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

Your editing skills are top-notch Wang. I was a little disappointed at the lack of a special one-man mode, but knowing it is possible to one-man it yourself is awesome. I get the feeling this run is going to get pretty cheesy fast, in more ways than one.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
This game looks interesting as hell, but all I am wondering is what led to the poor farmer (maybe a peasant) William Scabs to get banished? Well I assume that crashing on the shore wasn't the real goal but I'm sure you were in that cage for a reason. I am going to guess peasant revolt, but I have a feeling it will be more like he stole some pigs...

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

LordGugs posted:

This game looks interesting as hell, but all I am wondering is what led to the poor farmer (maybe a peasant) William Scabs to get banished? Well I assume that crashing on the shore wasn't the real goal but I'm sure you were in that cage for a reason. I am going to guess peasant revolt, but I have a feeling it will be more like he stole some pigs...

What kind of self respecting rat prisoner doesn't go to Adventure Island Jail for cheese thievery?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Episode 3: Scabs has been known to get things

Today we fancy ourselves as speedrunners somewhat. Also I've decided on a Mon/Fri release schedule.

LordGugs posted:

With all the stuff I jack across this playthrough so far, I almost want to say grand larceny.

RealSovietBear posted:

I'm liking this LP quite a bit. I haven't played Grimrock 2 since release and need a refresher course anyway. I'm especially looking forward to the part where you get teleported into the giant desert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-KmvVRY2qc

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

LordGugs posted:

No, see, you don't understand. William Scabs committed no crime.
With a hungry glint to his eye, William Scabs placed himself into that cage, calmly and purposefully. Not to protect us from his hands, but to protect us... from his stomach.
William Scabs HUNGERS.

Also,
:rock:

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013
Huh, this can actually be done? I feel like there was puzzle in the cemetery that you would need at least three characters for, since you need to throw stuff past three gates and they close faster than a single character's cooldowns. I don't think tossing from the inventory went far enough either, so I'm curious as to what will happen there. Either I'm just remembering wrong or there's a clever workaround that I never thought of. That probably won't be for quite a while yet though, so for now I'll just go watch what's been put up so far.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
This'll be an interesting watch, I'm curious to see what I missed from when I played the game myself.

About XP mechanics, if you had only one non-farmer character, would they advance four times as fast as four non-farmers from killing enemies, because they wouldn't "split" the XP? And what if you had a mix of farmers and non-farmers, would the farmers still get a "cut" of the split kill-XP, which would then vanish into the aether, or would they not impact the XP gains of the other characters?

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 24, 2015

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Llednar Twem posted:

Huh, this can actually be done? I feel like there was puzzle in the cemetery that you would need at least three characters for, since you need to throw stuff past three gates and they close faster than a single character's cooldowns. I don't think tossing from the inventory went far enough either, so I'm curious as to what will happen there. Either I'm just remembering wrong or there's a clever workaround that I never thought of. That probably won't be for quite a while yet though, so for now I'll just go watch what's been put up so far.

I don't remember having an issue with that, though iirc I have the 10% cooldown reduction trait and used inventory throw rather than weapon throw. Also, don't think that's required for getting through Graveyard.

PurpleXVI posted:

This'll be an interesting watch, I'm curious to see what I missed from when I played the game myself.

About XP mechanics, if you had only one non-farmer character, would they advance four times as fast as four non-farmers from killing enemies, because they wouldn't "split" the XP? And what if you had a mix of farmers and non-farmers, would the farmers still get a "cut" of the split kill-XP, which would then vanish into the aether, or would they not impact the XP gains of the other characters?

I haven't researched XP mechanics much, but kills give a set XP value to everyone alive and its not divided. Farmers absolutely do not get Kill XP, this I know.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
So a single-character, non-farmer run would still advance at the same speed as a single member of a four-character party? I can definitely see why you went with the farmer, then, the alternative would be pretty much impossible.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Loving this LP

Speaking of XP, is there a hardcap on levels? I know there's a softcap at level like 14 where XP requirements get massive, but is there a level after which you just can't progress?
Also is there a way to edit all this?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I believe there's just the softcap, where after a certain point it just becomes impractical for even farmers to level up further.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

dasmause posted:

Loving this LP

Speaking of XP, is there a hardcap on levels? I know there's a softcap at level like 14 where XP requirements get massive, but is there a level after which you just can't progress?
Also is there a way to edit all this?

senrath posted:

I believe there's just the softcap, where after a certain point it just becomes impractical for even farmers to level up further.

On my practice run Rattigan is at level 18. Each consumed piece of food provides 3k exp, while the next level is at 500k XP. He's the world's greatest rat.

I want to say the hard cap for this game is lvl 20, but there's no documentation on an actual cap. So far people on other sites have reported that the gap from lvl 20-21 takes about 2mil(?) xp. No one has data-mined the game and seen if there's an actual stopping point yet.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Highwang posted:

So far people on other sites have reported that the gap from lvl 20-21 takes about 2mil(?) xp. No one has data-mined the game and seen if there's an actual stopping point yet.
Why datamine it, just start a farmer and spawn endless food.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
If it is anything like the first game, the level cap will go beyond 50. The problem is that after lvl 15 or so the XP requirement gets exponentially more absurd to the point that no one will ever get anywhere near that cap without cheating.

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013
I wonder...would it be possible to eat nothing with a solo farmer until you get the spirit mirror pendant? There's one in the glass vault, so you could probably rush it pretty early. Fighting the Viper Roots at level 1 would be pretty rough though. The nice this about the farmer when it comes to that pendant is you only need to put it on when you eat something, so you can use another amulet too. In an ordinary party with a farmer this lets you level two characters with a single pendant.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Llednar Twem posted:

I wonder...would it be possible to eat nothing with a solo farmer until you get the spirit mirror pendant? There's one in the glass vault, so you could probably rush it pretty early. Fighting the Viper Roots at level 1 would be pretty rough though. The nice this about the farmer when it comes to that pendant is you only need to put it on when you eat something, so you can use another amulet too. In an ordinary party with a farmer this lets you level two characters with a single pendant.

Food is not a finite resource (there are infinitely respawning food sources), but the practical benefits of getting an extra 750 XP from your first few sets of food is a literal drop in the bucket vs what you actually need - infinitely farming food on the level of millions of XP is so incredibly tedious to imagine that saving yourself even two dozen pieces of food is a waste vs making the early game easier.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I know this is a solo rat farmer run, but will you be talking about the regular game at all to fill out the minutes? I'm a little curious about class balance. I remember being watching a stream shortly after it was released where the streamer said that the barbarian was far and away the best melee class, better at tanking than the knight and whatever it is the fighter is best at (energy for specials? agility?). Was that the case, and if it was did it ever get balanced out?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I know this is a solo rat farmer run, but will you be talking about the regular game at all to fill out the minutes? I'm a little curious about class balance. I remember being watching a stream shortly after it was released where the streamer said that the barbarian was far and away the best melee class, better at tanking than the knight and whatever it is the fighter is best at (energy for specials? agility?). Was that the case, and if it was did it ever get balanced out?

I could discuss class balance in a later episode or a kind of side-note video. Granted we probably won't see it for the next 2-3 episodes but some dungeons (namely the sewer and the huge dungeon before it) have enough downtime to bring that up in detail.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

The class balance, in my opinion, matters less than the skill balance. Most of the classes can be made useful, even if at start they're a bit weaker than the others, by giving them some decent skills so they can at least swing or throw or shoot or zap, but nothing will rescue a character who wasted his skill points, and goddamn, there are some wastes of skill points in the game.

(lookin' at you, earth magic, lookin' at you, why did they not realize you sucked balls after the FIRST game?)

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Happy Black Friday, please don't trample anyone.

Also Grimrock 2 is on sale at Steam for ~$5 until Dec 1st.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Highwang posted:

Happy Black Friday, please don't trample anyone.

Also Grimrock 2 is on sale at Steam for ~$5 until Dec 1st.

And you can get both 1 and 2 for just under seven if you don't already have either.

This was a good RPG sale.

BTE, loving the LP Highwang.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The terrible thing about this LP is that it makes me want to replay Grimrock 2, but I've already got such a huge Steam backlog...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So I've started my own ORC (One Rat Challenge), which will be interesting given that this is my first time playing the game, and I... never beat Grimrock 1 either.

Start was pretty tedious, but I've got backbiter now and I managed to kill Twin Root, so I'm feeling pretty good about this.

Twin Root took me two attempts, the first failed because I was trying to dual wield against your advice. They really should have made both weapons go off at once instead of making you use one and then the other. Wow, it's bad.

• Locked thread