Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I retuned my phone by mail and T-Mo never got it and the post office never gave me a tracking number. I'm boned right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

LionYeti posted:

I retuned my phone by mail and T-Mo never got it and the post office never gave me a tracking number. I'm boned right?

Funny, I did the same. I'm feeling kind of stupid about it. I hope I'm not boned.

On a different topic, if I have a simple choice 3gb plan, am i going to be automatically bumped to 6gb? Or do I have to opt in?

I also got text messages saying:

"Free T-Mobile Msg: Thank you for your continued service. Due to recent changes on your account line [your phone number] has a new contract end date of 11/19/2015."

And

"Free T-Mobile Msg: A Device Recovery Program credit of $0.00 was applied to your Account. For bill details visit http://my.t-mobile.com."

Does anyone know do those mean? And why do I feel like I'm screwed with that second message in regards to my trade in?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Funny, I did the same. I'm feeling kind of stupid about it. I hope I'm not boned.

On a different topic, if I have a simple choice 3gb plan, am i going to be automatically bumped to 6gb? Or do I have to opt in?

I've asked this question in the thread several times and haven't gotten a definitive answer. All I know is that my plan says 3GB for $10, and I can upgrade it to the 6GB for $15 plan. I assume that as soon as I change my data plan the $10/3GB plan will go away forever.

Last time they increased the data packages they didn't increase the price, so we all got the data size bump automatically.

Oddly enough, my wife is still on the 1GB free plan and can upgrade to the 2GB free plan, but I have no idea if that's going to un-grandfather me from my 3GB/$10 plan if I do it.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

Astro7x posted:

I've asked this question in the thread several times and haven't gotten a definitive answer. All I know is that my plan says 3GB for $10, and I can upgrade it to the 6GB for $15 plan. I assume that as soon as I change my data plan the $10/3GB plan will go away forever.

Last time they increased the data packages they didn't increase the price, so we all got the data size bump automatically.

Oddly enough, my wife is still on the 1GB free plan and can upgrade to the 2GB free plan, but I have no idea if that's going to un-grandfather me from my 3GB/$10 plan if I do it.

I tried asking on twitter what will happen and they're not directly answering the question. I'm getting the impression that it's standard phone company BS, we have to manually opt in to make the change, but the 3GB/$10 will go away.

Edit - They finally confirmed if I upgrade to 6GB, 3/$10 will go away but I must manually opt in. That's pretty much what I figured.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 20, 2015

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Has anyone had a bad experience porting a number to T-Mobile? My number ported immediately a few months ago. I setup the port for my wife's number yesterday morning.

Over 24 hours, her phone is still on the temporary number. I called T-mobile and they basically were like "it can take up to 72 hours there's nothing we can do".

I kind of feel like they hosed something up...am I wrong? I feel like I've never had a number take more than a few minutes to port, so it just seems really weird to me. Number is coming from Cricket if that matters.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I had a problem when I ported. I gave them the wrong code or they forgot to ask or something and they couldn't get my number from Virgin Mobile. Of course, they never called me about the issue, but did tell me what was wrong when I called them and got it sorted quickly.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I ported over two numbers at once, and I had a ton of problems. We were on the temporary numbers for something like 7-9 days, and I had to call them at least 4 times to get it taken care of.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Mnemosyne posted:

I ported over two numbers at once, and I had a ton of problems. We were on the temporary numbers for something like 7-9 days, and I had to call them at least 4 times to get it taken care of.

Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

I know I gave him the right account # / pin code for the Cricket account as I gave it to him incorrectly the first time and he said it didn't go through and then when I gave the correct # he said it worked. Ugh.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

tonic posted:

Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

I know I gave him the right account # / pin code for the Cricket account as I gave it to him incorrectly the first time and he said it didn't go through and then when I gave the correct # he said it worked. Ugh.

It's been 6-7 months, so I don't recall exactly what happened. All I remember is that there's two parts to the porting process, and every time I'd talk to someone, they'd complete the first part and not the second part. Then I'd wait 48 hours, it still wouldn't have ported, and I'd call again.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

tonic posted:

Has anyone had a bad experience porting a number to T-Mobile? My number ported immediately a few months ago. I setup the port for my wife's number yesterday morning.

Over 24 hours, her phone is still on the temporary number. I called T-mobile and they basically were like "it can take up to 72 hours there's nothing we can do".

I kind of feel like they hosed something up...am I wrong? I feel like I've never had a number take more than a few minutes to port, so it just seems really weird to me. Number is coming from Cricket if that matters.
Ported from gvoice 2 weeks ago, took a week and two support calls to get it all sorted out.
My tmo.com account is still under the old number though.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

I called once to complain that the port hadn't gone through after about 36 hours. Unfortunately, their "number transfer" division was closed, so the call was useless.

This morning, around 50 hours after I set up the port, it randomly happened. Makes 0 sense why my number from the same company ported instantly and my wife's took multiple days, but whatever, just happy I didn't have to deal with support again.

Super happy with T-Mobile unlimited LTE thus far, love streaming Plex without any worries.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Unlimited data for 3 months

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

PRADA SLUT posted:

Unlimited data for 3 months

I saw that. A bit random, but I will take it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Article makes it sound like it goes into effect AFTER you use up all your data stash, and only if you have a 3GB plan or greater? It says Binge On must be active. Wonder if it applies to my wife's 1GB free plan.

http://m.androidcentral.com/t-mobile-gives-gift-unlimited-high-speed-data-no-extra-charge

Edit: How can I check to see how much data is in my data stash?

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 24, 2015

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Is Binge On available on the nerd plan? When I go to "change your plan and services", I can check the box for it but nothing happens when I click next.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Monday_ posted:

Is Binge On available on the nerd plan? When I go to "change your plan and services", I can check the box for it but nothing happens when I click next.
No, only plans costing $60 and more.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mnemosyne posted:

It's been 6-7 months, so I don't recall exactly what happened. All I remember is that there's two parts to the porting process, and every time I'd talk to someone, they'd complete the first part and not the second part. Then I'd wait 48 hours, it still wouldn't have ported, and I'd call again.

Really weird because when I came to T-Mobile from Sprint my number was ported instantly and painlessly.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
How is T-Mobile roaming? I am considering switching from Sprint, where I never think about roaming since it's unlimited (and a good thing too). Since Sprint often roams on Verizon I can get signal anywhere, usually. Does T-Mobile roam well, or is it more location-dependant?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

effika posted:

How is T-Mobile roaming? I am considering switching from Sprint, where I never think about roaming since it's unlimited (and a good thing too). Since Sprint often roams on Verizon I can get signal anywhere, usually. Does T-Mobile roam well, or is it more location-dependant?

T-Mobile's domestic roaming is very limited. For the most part voice and text service will roam onto AT&T if you're in a market without native T-Mobile service (though keep in mind that market areas can be pretty large so there may be a fairly large gap of no signal between losing T-Mobile and picking up AT&T). Data service does not roam at all for prepaid and only roams to AT&T between 50 and 100 megabytes for postpaid (depending on your plan). T-Mobile does have a few regional carriers they have unlimited data roaming agreements with (IIRC the largest one is iWireless in Iowa) but most of them don't have LTE service (and in some cases are still only 2G).

tl;dr: don't get T-Mobile if you're not sure you will have native coverage everywhere you plan to be regularly, or at the very least use their test drive offer to check your actual coverage.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 26, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

effika posted:

How is T-Mobile roaming?

Poor to non-existent in my experience -- east coast. If you travel, I would choose another carrier.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV
If you are in "civilization", you won't need roaming.

wormil fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 26, 2015

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

wormil posted:

Poor to non-existent in my experience -- east coast. If you travel, I would choose another carrier.

Correction, if you travel to the sticks, choose another carrier. If you're anywhere near civilization you should be fine (US only).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I found all of I-80 in Iowa to be completely useless until I hit Des Moines. That included going through a few of the bigger college towns in the state.

Edit: in the boonies around IL, I'm about 50/50 between getting Edge speeds and no reception. Hit a deer yesterday and couldn't call anyone, but was able to drive a couple miles down the road and talk to my insurance just fine.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 26, 2015

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I have a question maybe one of the experts in here can help out with. I have a Sony Z3 that I bought 5 months ago on installments. There are still payments left on the device and I dont have a problem with paying that off so long as I can get it unlocked. The problem arises that I hadnt requested to unlock the Z3 after getting my new phone. I waited a couple weeks. Tmo now wants me to use the Z3 for a week before they will allow me to unlock it. I really would like to unload this thing as an unlocked device if possible.

Is there any way around this? Didnt seem as though the tech knew if there was or not.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

spiralbrain posted:

Is there any way around this? Didnt seem as though the tech knew if there was or not.

From the FCC:

https://www.fcc.gov/device-unlocking-faq

"Your postpaid device is eligible to be unlocked by a participating provider after you have fulfilled the applicable service contract, completed the device installment plan or paid an early termination fee. Your prepaid device is eligible to be unlocked by a participating provider no later than one year after activation, consistent with reasonable time, payment, or usage requirements."

If you pay off your phone and your account is in good standing, T-Mobile must unlock it. It doesn't matter when you ask, it doesn't need to be activated, and you do not need to use it for a week.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Do those EBay sellers who do unlock codes work? I've never used them before but I keep reading how silly T-Mobile has acted with their unlock policies.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Lblitzer posted:

Do those EBay sellers who do unlock codes work? I've never used them before but I keep reading how silly T-Mobile has acted with their unlock policies.

I've had good luck before. Just make sure you read their fine print first and make sure that the model they list is the same as yours. I also wouldn't risk more than $5.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Need to confirm something, read on another forum that a phone must be Tmobile branded or wifi calling won't work. True? False?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

wormil posted:

Need to confirm something, read on another forum that a phone must be Tmobile branded or wifi calling won't work. True? False?

false

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

As long as it's an iPhone, recent nexus or running marshmallow you're fine. If not, that's true-- some roms bake in the needed extensions and app though.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Qwijib0 posted:

As long as it's an iPhone, recent nexus or running marshmallow you're fine. If not, that's true-- some roms bake in the needed extensions and app though.

Does this apply to any Marshmallow phone? My phone is getting Marshmallow eventually and the lack of WiFi calling is my only complaint with it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Does this apply to any Marshmallow phone? My phone is getting Marshmallow eventually and the lack of WiFi calling is my only complaint with it.

As I understand it, it's something that has to be enabled (in a stock rom) by something t-mobile pushes once it's on their network and they have tested the device. They have already started doing this for nexuses and HTC phones with marshmallow, but I don't know if the process is fast enough to get them all as M rolls out. Your best answer will probably come from t-mobile-- @askdes is usually pretty responsive.

If you don't mind romming, then I believe CM will have it globally.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

From the FCC:

https://www.fcc.gov/device-unlocking-faq

"Your postpaid device is eligible to be unlocked by a participating provider after you have fulfilled the applicable service contract, completed the device installment plan or paid an early termination fee. Your prepaid device is eligible to be unlocked by a participating provider no later than one year after activation, consistent with reasonable time, payment, or usage requirements."

If you pay off your phone and your account is in good standing, T-Mobile must unlock it. It doesn't matter when you ask, it doesn't need to be activated, and you do not need to use it for a week.

Ok then I need to challenge this then because this is bullshit. I asked the rep if I paid it off can I still unlock it and she told me no that I would still need to use it for a week before they would allow me to unlock the device. I just think if you pay off the device, you should be able to unlock regardless of whether you used it one day or one year. You bought the device, why should it still be tied to the carrier??

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

spiralbrain posted:

Ok then I need to challenge this then because this is bullshit. I asked the rep if I paid it off can I still unlock it and she told me no that I would still need to use it for a week before they would allow me to unlock the device. I just think if you pay off the device, you should be able to unlock regardless of whether you used it one day or one year. You bought the device, why should it still be tied to the carrier??
It's probably a technical thing where they can't pull the unlock code for arbitrary IMEIs, just active ones.

Put the SIM in for a day and call them back.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ilkhan posted:

It's probably a technical thing where they can't pull the unlock code for arbitrary IMEIs, just active ones.

Put the SIM in for a day and call them back.

The temporary unlock worked though. Its the permanent that failed so they have some restriction in place for permanent unlocks I think.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I'm on Ting (GSM) but thinking about switching to the nerd plan for some potential savings. Can you make international calls at reasonable rates with this plan?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
You can find T-Mobile's international rates here. Note that on the $30 nerd plan you won't be able to use their international calling add-ons so you'll be paying the "pay per use" rates. If you make more than a few minutes worth of international calls per year it would make more sense to use a service like Skype or Google Voice to place those calls instead.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Mr.Radar posted:

You can find T-Mobile's international rates here. Note that on the $30 nerd plan you won't be able to use their international calling add-ons so you'll be paying the "pay per use" rates. If you make more than a few minutes worth of international calls per year it would make more sense to use a service like Skype or Google Voice to place those calls instead.

Thanks, it looks like Ting will be the better option until Project Fi opens up to more phones.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does T-Mobile have a way to block spam texts from an email address? I'm getting some several times a day from people who claim to be with MasterCard. I downloaded a recommended spam blocker app, but that isn't working even against identical texts to what I put in the blacklist.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does T-Mobile have a way to block spam texts from an email address? I'm getting some several times a day from people who claim to be with MasterCard. I downloaded a recommended spam blocker app, but that isn't working even against identical texts to what I put in the blacklist.

Last I checked, no. And I get a fair amount of spam since switching (back) to T-Mobile a year and a bit ago. I think it's because my number was originally in the TMobile block so they send to the email addresses of all TMobile numbers in a block. I wish you could just turn off that address, no one loving emails me texts except scammers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You can call in and report it. There's a process for that.