Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Working in academia on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving is nice. Faculty don't come in, which means their support staff don't come in, which means I have ??? to work on.

I shall be studying for CCNA basically all day, except for a few annoying Bitlocker issues that have been coming up this morning.

Today is the day you hope something breaks terribly. That way its not the end of the world, its just an awesome challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think people in here say twice your normal hourly rate, for the trouble of dealing with your own taxes and it not being stable work.

E: I have never been in that position, though.

Double? Quadruple if it's not like a 3-month, 4 hour a week project

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Independent contracting/consulting is not "printing your own money" like people sometimes seem to think here. Unless you have very specific company, industry, or even technical experience, you don't exist in a vacuum so there is always someone willing to undercut you. So at least in my opinion there is no one flat multiplier. Like a job search, evaluate your competition as best you can and give a number that makes sense for you, knowing the higher you go the higher the chance of them saying no or finding someone else.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Moving on to the second phase of recabling the server room I'm focusing on cables between pieces of network equipment. There's a massive knot of blue cable hanging from the back of the rack so I started untangling it to find that it's actually four cables that run from the primary rack to the rack in the rear corner of the room. Found the end of a cable loom stuffed behind a cabinet that follows the same path. It has one cable in it that's not plugged into anything, and is zip tied closed every foot so as to discourage people from ever using it for something... useful.

I measured the run and bought replacement cables of the proper length along with a pair of snips to denude this place of every goddamn zip tie I find. Racing the clock to see if I can completely clean up the server room's extensive cabling mess before they can me.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

Racing the clock to see if I can completely clean up the server room's extensive cabling mess before they can me.
:patriot: :smith:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Someone here can tell me... Does an Office 365 user need a Exchange Online license to send and receive from a shared mailbox?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Tab8715 posted:

Someone here can tell me... Does an Office 365 user need a Exchange Online license to send and receive from a shared mailbox?

Yes

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Racing the clock to see if I can completely clean up the server room's extensive cabling mess before they can me.

Haha why? gently caress that place if they are going to can you.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

quote:

I am willing to pay you to log in remotely and hold my hand through the process I just want to make sure I get it right, plus one of my interfaces on the ASA is not allowing out side internet connection.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Methanar posted:

outside internet connection

Well to be fair, he didn't say NONE of the interfaces are allowing an outside connection. And in fact, if one interface is outside facing and is up, and he's trying to open another interface to the same outside network for some stupid reason, there's his problem.

You should still probably charge $300 / hr here just to be safe though.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I'm looking in to this New Relic thing for a potential job and while the server monitoring is neat and fast (at least compared to what we use at work), I don't have any web apps or web sites to monitor to check out that portion of the package. Don't suppose anyone knows of a python or ruby webapp that scrapes data or does stuff or something that I can install?

Or some server thing that gets put under load.. Maybe I should set up a personal news group downloader thing..

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
This Amazon "leak"... how is it not a bigger deal?
Is it one of those "evidence of no problem" would be impossible, so better play safe if "no evidence of problem" and reset passwords, even if perhaps unnecessary?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alfajor posted:

This Amazon "leak"... how is it not a bigger deal?
Is it one of those "evidence of no problem" would be impossible, so better play safe if "no evidence of problem" and reset passwords, even if perhaps unnecessary?

Because odds are that its due to an Amazon owned mobile app somehow not securing itself properly, and then Amazon security finding out about it, and then just force resetting the passwords of anyone who used the app from date X to date Y on the off chance that something bad happened. Or, something similar to that effect.

Some users are getting "reset your password" emails, not all users. If Amazon's central storage for credentials were compromised, that would be a huge deal and the response would be different.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
(Pretty much DNS job/team related)

Is anyone here an DNS guru for a big corp (20k+ employees) Corporate DNS team job? I'm planning on joining a major [redacted]'s DNS team of about 6-8... From what I can see their 2 big projects are setting up Anycast BGP - between our data centers across our [redacted] country, and consolidation our like 10-15 DNS environments into a couple of InfoBlox Devices (including our Data Centers 8 diff versions of [redacted] (since it was designed by like 4-5 diff teams...

One of the teams decided to name reverse zone files at "arpa.A.B.C in the ./forward folder... (no reverse folder exists :negativeman: ) instead of C.B.A.in-addr.arpa (which makes delegating a bitch when customer wants the DNS delegated to their servers, and has it setup on his server as the C.B.A.in-addr.arpa...

Also if anyone is on a Big Company DNS team -- What type are certs/skill level are required... I've been pretty much a bind/named/MS DNS ( :smithicide: ) / for 10+ year

My Skills:
Python/Shell scripting is fine/intermediate, but I can make some nice scripts such as massive FCrDNS to see if these are still required/active customers.

Example: Not sure where my Syntax is loving up
code:
./testrdns2.sh 4.2.2

address -> name -> address
-------------------------------------
ok      4.2.2.1 -> a.resolvers.level3.net. -> 4.2.2.1
ok      4.2.2.2 -> b.resolvers.Level3.net. -> 4.2.2.2
fail    4.2.2.50 -> dnslb1.bbnplanet.com. -> [unassigned]
fail    4.2.2.51 -> dnslb2.bbnplanet.com. -> [unassigned]

fail    4.2.2.6 -> resolver8.Level3.net.
f.resolvers.Level3.net. -> 4.2.2.6

(I'm sure this is easy fix... but it doesn't bother me
too much as I made it in about 30mins, and spent 1-2 hours 
trying to figure out why it, I can't get this simple on 1 line
like the others... I'm sure its just some simple regex I'm loving up
etc...)
Setting up an RCS system because too many people kept loving up everything.... VI SO HARD! (not Nano/Pico/Etc allowed on these servers)

The new manager told me they want CCIE for the SR Role... I just have my CCNP... I'm well versed in Wireshark-analyzing, Captures/Everything DNS (Except Anycast BGP though I have a much larger grasp, and it makes a lot of sense to me since our Mega Data Centers are spread across our Data Centers, and our corporate network is :( as our internal networks routes to One coast, retrieves data, then sends it back all the way to the other coast... for every action (outside our OOB Network)

Any advice would be great, as I basically just want to work in a specialized DNS department... and it's pretty much one of the few things left I enjoy in IT.... and Automating my Tasks with scripts :)

Hirez fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 25, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Generally speaking - Rackspace, yay or nay?

It seems like an okay place to work but their stock price has been hit hard and revenue decreasing quarter after quarter.

Hopefully, with their recent partnerships things will turn around or maybe a buyout will come to fruition. Which may certainly shake things up if you do become employed.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

For those of you who work in the software development side of IT (i.e. the part that tends not be discussed so much in this thread), I made a thread for you here so that we can talk about how the guys running our servers are a bunch of incompetent goofs loveable people without them hearing about it :sun:

(i love server guys I promise please don't lynch me)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Hirez posted:

Any advice would be great, as I basically just want to work in a specialized DNS department... and it's pretty much one of the few things left I enjoy in IT.... and Automating my Tasks with scripts :)

Sounds like you'd be a great fit and a lot of people don't know DNS beyond the hosts file and A/CNAME Records.

The only thing I'd be curious about is if take this job, invest 2-3 years into and you get laid off - how difficult will it be to find another DNS technical role?

Not that I'm saying I wouldn't take a job because it might be difficult to find one but it's something you probably be aware of.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's amazing how much you can get done when you throw caution to the wind and just power poo poo through in production. Who needs testing anyway? :v:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

It's amazing how much you can get done when you throw caution to the wind and just power poo poo through in production. Who needs testing anyway? :v:

Last time someone said "gently caress testing" at my work we lost 48k in revenue.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Kashuno posted:

Last time someone said "gently caress testing" at my work we lost 48k in revenue.

Yeah but just consider that 48k worth of on the job training and divide it by the number of people involved. Its a bargain!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kashuno posted:

We've probably wasted at least twice that by dicking around and not getting this poo poo in place sooner.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

And a little bit of holiday cheer / liquid courage

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 25, 2015

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

poo poo I want a glass that says that with my company logo.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Virigoth posted:

Glencairn makes them for you. If you can get them to return your emails. Costs around $8/glass with shipping from Scotland. ($10 for low qty, $7 for high qty.)

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Glencairn makes them for you. If you can get them to return your emails. Costs around $8/glass with shipping from Scotland. ($10 for low qty, $7 for high qty.)

If they come with USB it could be the next goon purchase.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Virigoth posted:

Same. That glass is glorious :allears: Thinking of buying those for my teammates as a Christmas gift...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I remember a while back in one of these thread a utilization of 70% or so was cited as being optimal for sysadmins. Does anyone have any documentation showing this?

I need this for a school project, TIA

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

KennyTheFish posted:

I've thought about suggesting a custom pint glass with a witty saying/image printed on it for the next round of SHSC goon collectables, but was worried about the shipping logistics. Not sure what we'd put on it, my skills as an ideas woman pretty much end when it comes to creative writing.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 26, 2015

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

It could be the larches memorial edition: "it doesn't concern you"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

JHVH-1 posted:

Yeah but just consider that 48k worth of on the job training and divide it by the number of people involved. Its a bargain!
But then there was that time a test plan went wrong and Knight Capital lost $500,000,000 and went out of business

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Vulture Culture posted:

But then there was that time a test plan went wrong and Knight Capital lost $500,000,000 and went out of business

Did the Knight Rider get repossessed? :ohdear:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KennyTheFish posted:

USB drink stirrer? What? Try more booze in your diet.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

I remember a while back in one of these thread a utilization of 70% or so was cited as being optimal for sysadmins.

My brain isn't a CPU man.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I remember a while back in one of these thread a utilization of 70% or so was cited as being optimal for sysadmins. Does anyone have any documentation showing this?

I need this for a school project, TIA
The idea that slack time is necessary for successful projects has been covered in lots of books from Goldratt's The Goal (where the focus is on the Theory of Constraints) to Berkun's Making Things Happen to Kim/Behr/Spafford's The Phoenix Project (itself an IT-oriented adaptation of The Goal). The underlying concept is easy: in any project where people are working together on something, you encounter situations where people are blocked on their own work waiting for someone else to handle some prerequisite. If that person is jammed up on other higher-priority or more urgent work, they can't remove the blocker, and now the first person just spins because they're unable to progress on their tasks. Slack time is necessary because it allows people to rearrange their work items around what will unblock other people, instead of forcing a focus on individual throughput.

In highly complex organizations and projects, this can lead to a form of gridlock, where a circular dependency is introduced and it becomes literally unresolvable without someone stepping in and changing the parameters of the project. Here's a useful visual aid using traffic as a metaphor for throughput:

(All of the buses are unable to move, because each bus is blocked into the intersection by other buses going a different direction. Traffic will not move in any direction until someone decides to take an alternate route.)

I don't know about any 70% number, but it sounds like the kind of rule of thumb that Thomas Limoncelli would use. Maybe it was in Time Management for System Administrators?

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 26, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Typical rush hour in Vancouver tbh

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vulture Culture posted:

I don't know about any 70% number, but it sounds like the kind of rule of thumb that Thomas Limoncelli would use. Maybe it was in Time Management for System Administrators?

I'm not really qualified to go into depth on the math, but it comes from queuing theory.
One of the basic queues M/M/1 has a knee at around 70%. At that point you start getting proportionally more stretch factor than you gain in throughput.

It's not safe to assume that your queue will be equivalent to M/M/1 though, so your mileage may vary.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vulture Culture posted:

I am still so pissed I didn't grab a whole stack of KCG mousepads when I had the chance.

(I spilled beer on the only one I took :()

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm not really qualified to go into depth on the math, but it comes from queuing theory.
One of the basic queues M/M/1 has a knee at around 70%. At that point you start getting proportionally more stretch factor than you gain in throughput.

It's not safe to assume that your queue will be equivalent to M/M/1 though, so your mileage may vary.
Let's say, hypothetically, that this reply made me really interested in learning queuing theory. Where's a good place to start for someone whose last serious college math class was ten years ago?

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Vulture Culture posted:

Let's say, hypothetically, that this reply made me really interested in learning queuing theory. Where's a good place to start for someone whose last serious college math class was ten years ago?

College algebra or college-level stats? Did you have any calculus?
My own experience with queueing was very limited since I did more calc and physics but I want to say it was heavily rooted in statistics (probabilities and expectations). Resource sharing and scheduling are more general areas that you'll need some bits of, so bust out that operating systems theory book, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

keseph posted:

College algebra or college-level stats? Did you have any calculus?
My own experience with queueing was very limited since I did more calc and physics but I want to say it was heavily rooted in statistics (probabilities and expectations). Resource sharing and scheduling are more general areas that you'll need some bits of, so bust out that operating systems theory book, too.
I double-majored in math and have a great memory for basic differential and integral calculus but don't remember much of Calc III or IV (Taylor/Maclaurin series, etc.). I took a basic stats course and still have my textbook (Miller and Freund's Probability and Statistics for Engineers), but I don't remember a ton (though I'm sure I could relearn easily). I'm real rusty on notation and get lost in a big hurry when I read formulas on Wikipedia full of un-referenceable, apocryphal Greek letters.

I'm really intimately familiar with how things like resource sharing and scheduling work at a practical implementation level, but I've glossed over the theory until this point.