Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

G0RF posted:

The real Chris Roberts would take seven paragraphs to say what he did in three lines.

Coke is expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Agrajag posted:

did you NOT see crobizzle's script drop presentation?

I did. That was the moment--well, all of Citcon was--when I freaked out at Bootcha because this whole drat thing was so obviously a train wreck.

tooterfish posted:

Sorry, that phrase is reserved for a future thread title.

Hahahahahahaha--Egad, I feel self-owned.

edit: Oh, yeah--I meant "Why couldn't they have written a better script for Citcon," not the whole drat game. I mean, let's keep goals reasonably attainable. Even at that, Sandi's acting skills were NOT up to Citcon's lousy script.

fuzzknot fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 26, 2015

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

OhDearGodNo posted:

Naval action is an alpha that began June 17, 2013 with the old, tattered remnants of PotBS. They have like 7 devs working on it.

They released a patch (9.0) yesterday:

This ignores the fixes as well.

fake edit: The removal of HKs, thank god.

second fake edit: Just pointing out how non-revolutionary, non-groundbreaking, slow, and horribly designed state the game is in without bringing up Elite.

ok cool good idea. everyone post patch notes for every game ever.

edit:

here is a random UO patch I found

quote:

Client Patch 7.0.25.7

This patch was for the Classic Client.
Statistics

Date: May 21, 2012
Size: 595,111,956 bytes
Notes: None

Patch Notes

Cliloc Changes
Due to patch system changes, this specific patch will require an extend time frame to download. Please note this is will make patching for lower connection speeds easier in the future.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mirificus posted:

Joins Reddit to post about Derek Smart:

:ironicat:

I mean... I joined SA to post about autists.

Are we really so different, them and I?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

At best I have played for maybe 15 minutes before a crash, so I'm not sure I'm really qualified to answer that. That said, it's quite fun but appears to be extremely content limited. The game right now is spawn ship, fly to station, engage pirates, get out and go inside to hit widget. Repeat. That's... more or less it. No way to earn credits or ships, no point to the missions. It's quite expansive in terms of space and there's a lot of neat ship widgets to look at, but it is more of a tech toy than a functional game. I would say it's an 8 out of 10 for a platform to build a game on, but probably only a couple-hour time waster if you're looking for something to get absorbed in.

Your standards for fun in a video game seem pretty low. You should try good games like phantom pain and fallout 4.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

neonbregna posted:

Your standards for fun in a video game seem pretty low. You should try good games like phantom pain and fallout 4.

You ought to try ripping off a Bandaid; THAT sounds more fun than Star Citizen at this point.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Othin posted:

and probably won't actually exist

Uh, if star citizen isn't exist, then why come there be crashes?

Checkmate, atheists.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean... I joined SA to post about autists.

Are we really so different, them and I?

You could also hang around other threads for other things. They don't even have to be about games.

But yeah it'll probably be about games.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also it's completely unsurprising that all of the stuff that Alpha 2.0 shows off that you can do is actually completely pointless and empty busywork, and then the server crashes then you get to do it again.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Othin posted:

ok cool good idea. everyone post patch notes for every game ever.

edit:

here is a random UO patch I found

Did that guy die after that one?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Paulus sounds like a decent man Beer, you should listen to him. Get therapy for your anger issues, make a sincere public apology to Sandi and everyone at CIG you have wronged and the community would welcome you back with open arms. It's not too late man, what you did can be still forgiven if you show some humility. And reconsider the people you associate with, I think that deep down you are a good person and it was them that led you astray.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

Paulus sounds like a decent man Beer, you should listen to him. Get therapy for your anger issues, make a sincere public apology to Sandi and everyone at CIG you have wronged and the community would welcome you back with open arms. It's not too late man, what you did can be still forgiven if you show some humility. And reconsider the people you associate with, I think that deep down you are a good person and it was them that led you astray.

Find religion in Star Citizen.

Put the Chris back in Christ!

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

Sarsapariller posted:

Documenting the third night in a row attempting to actually play the drat game.

Mission: same as before, spawn a retaliator, fly to a nearby station, get out. Tonight I am trying bored gamer's user.cfg for improved performance, and turning all settings to low. I have not seen a single twitch streamer who suffers from the same kind of weird stutter that I've been seeing, so I suspect it might be unique to my machine. However every time I've seen it, all the other people in view seem to be paused for the same general time period. I'm also playing later than previously, so maybe being in the off hours will help. We shall see.

Attempt 1: Spawned retaliator, took off from deck, turned it around- black screen, game crash. SIGH. Performance wise, things seemed to be running a bit better though. Smoother framerates, at least.

Attempt 2: Login failed!

Attempt 3: There's a new bug on the block- apparently people who try to connect to the server without hitting "Verify" on the patch will crash it for everyone. Good work CIG! So now it's a roll of the dice to see how long your game'll last before someone who didn't read tries to join in. I get a retaliator spawn and get in the pilot seat but notice that for some reason my character really wants to look left. Like I have a permanent neck cramp or something. So I attempt to ignore it and turn on quantum travel but apparently the neck-thing is affecting my UI as well, because I am getting the "OK to fast travel" indicator when two inches to the left of any given destination. Hmmmm. I hit the "engage" button and sure enough find myself a couple million kilometers out in deep space. Now the whole server says they're getting warnings about being out of bounds- presumably directed at me. Uh-oh. I get out of the pilot's seat and back in, which fixes the neck-cramp bug, and hightail it to a station. Just starting to engage pirates when another black screen crash occurs. On the plus side, I'm not seeing any of the freezing or stuttering prior to crashing. Next attempt I won't gently caress around, I'll go straight to a station and try to finish the mission.

Attempt 4: Login failed!

Attempt 5: I've really gotta stop hitting F9 to watch the mobiglass wiggle around during the get-out-of-bed animation. This time it locked me into the mobiglass screen and I could not move or interact with the world. Whoops. Exited game.

Attempt 6: Enter the world, type into chat "How's the stability tonight?" Run downstairs to spawn a retaliator- crash to desktop. Guess that answers that question.

Attempt 7: Login failed!

Attempt 8: This time when I spawn the retaliator in, there is a badger repeater cannon lying in the middle of the midships lobby when I enter it. Uh. Alright, I'll just... assume that got there naturally. Take off, fly away from the station, crash to desktop. S'getting a bit old at this point.

Attempt 9: Spawned in, ran to the retaliator- actually got it pointed at Covalex Shipping and flew there. Could this be it? The successful test? Started to fly around the station. First impressions- the detail on these things is superb, it really feels great. There's no real overarching theme and I'm not sure why all these stations have got spinning rings when artificial gravity is a thing, but it's well realized. I couldn't find a landing platform and the retaliator maneuvers like a pig so I spent a lot of time scraping paint off on the various greebles. Eventually I figured I'd just find it on foot. Got out of the pilot's seat, went back and tried to negotiate the airlock- the "Use" key opened it but the character had a really hard time getting out. Eventually I had to just fling myself at it and clip through the ship, but it worked. It worked! Mission accomplished. I flew out to the station and flew up and down the length of it without seeing any landing platforms. This was a real moment- space was silent except for my thrusters, and the station and ship just hanging there were quite beautiful. Times like that you realize that if they even come close to what they're shooting for, it will be a remarkable game. Eventually someone in chat told me that to look for some blinking lights and sure enough I found a shattered window and flew in. The interior was in zero-g, and it all just worked, which was almost alarming given the last 3 days of experiences. I got my pistol out and played a bit with the shooting physics- my lasers imparted actual velocity to stuff, although not with any particular rhyme or reason that I could tell. I'd send a vending machine spinning but barely move a briefcase. Still it was neat. I flew around the abandoned station for a while and eventually got a use prompt on a green pad- clicked it, got a "mission complete" in-game message. I guess... I guess I finished a mission? I didn't know I was on one besides the self-imposed ones. Flew back out, stole somebody's gladius that had been left in the vicinity. This was neat too- it actually worked on the first try. Flew it back to the retaliator and tried to board. No luck- the hatches would open and I might go through for a second, but then the "Gravity" would suck me back out again. Backed off to a tremendous distance and pointed straight at the open hatch, then slammed myself into it full speed. That worked, and I bounced around the interior for a second before snapping to the grid. Got back in the pilot's seat and prepared to fly to a repair station when the game finally crashed.

Mission Status: Complete and then some, and after only 3 days and nearly 30 attempts! I'll have to set myself a more difficult one next time.

Summary: There is a game there, and despite all the jankiness it is one I am really excited to play. The zero-g station was a really neat experience. Wouldn't want to firefight in it on a daily basis, but it was cool. The lack of the game-stutter tonight really improved play even though all but one session was only 2-3 minutes long. Every time the game works it is deeply immersive. I can't wait to see what it's like in VR. Ironically I think the non-combat parts of the game will be the biggest draws, in the long run- the weight and jankiness of the character animations really doesn't lend itself to traditional gameplay, but the depth of detail makes it a world I want to spend hours just wandering around. I find it funny that this incredibly buggy, messed-up pre alpha demo that they basically forced out in order to move sales along is the thing that kind of redeems the entire project, in my eyes. It just goes to show how rear end-backwards their approach has been, trying to put out show after show while keeping the true assets close to the vest. I can forgive any number of errors for a product that appears to be earnestly trying, and getting better. CIG, that's all you've ever had to show.

Well look at that, the one reasonable Goon.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Hey everybody

My X79 mobo supports the E7 8890v2 Xeon processor, thinking of spending the $7,000 to get it for Star Citizen.

Thoughts?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

I was going to joke about how paulus is too good and kindly a soul for croberts but actually he comes off as kinda creepy

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Maldoror posted:

Hey everybody

My X79 mobo supports the E7 8890v2 Xeon processor, thinking of spending the $7,000 to get it for Star Citizen.

Thoughts?

follow you dreams

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Happy Thanksgiving eve Star Shitizens! Here's what we can expect in the coming months: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUCUsNx1HTs

Just replace dad with Christ Roberts.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The next Star Citizen patch should have an update that immediately blows up your computer because you were dumb enough to spend money on Star Citizen.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Ravane posted:

Happy Thanksgiving eve Star Shitizens! Here's what we can expect in the coming months: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUCUsNx1HTs

woah where did you get this video of me chilling with the fam. doxxing is not cool :colbert:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Sandi's slaves are preparing :lesnick:'s evening snack

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

What bullshit helmet would spray light into your eyes?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

neonbregna posted:

I've put about 30 hours into Fo4 in the last week- I am unhealthily addicted to base building. SC is not a video game by any stretch of the imagination, but as far as tech demos go- I've seen worse. It's very pretty and has a lot of complex systems that are gradually coming together with less and less error. I wouldn't recommend buying in until it's done, given the time and cash it's taken to get this far, and I think CIG and Ben/Sandi/Chris are truly nasty people. But even the shittiest project's going to have a few silver linings.

Gryphon0468 posted:

Well look at that, the one reasonable Goon.

I still think you're an rear end in a top hat though.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
Curious what's with those black area signs. I know lolracismlol but now I wonder how it relates to them wasting more money somehow.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
I have been lurking into this thread for pure entertainement value since around page 30 and it managed to give me a few solid laugh and a weird desire to buy Elite Dangerous with a voice pack for its AI.

If i had any prediction to make, i think 2 scenarios are possible :

The first one is similar to what happened for APB (All Point Bulletin) : The "game" (meaning the PU) will be released (in 2-3 years) as a sordid mess in an financially unsustainable state (no way a semi mmo can support a sttaff of 100+, 5 mocap studios and 3 offices). It will flounder quickly and may be re-launched a few month later with another publisher, transformed in a pure P2W tier unlock arena shooter like War Thunder or World of *

The second one is much more grim. Squadron 42 comes out next year and is utter Shite, selling almost no units since its already been "pre-paid" by almost everyone interested in buying it. Lack of funds cause the whole thing to unravel and it goes under, making the Jpegs akin to tullips in Holland. The assets are sold to some China studio who then proceed to pump out a mobile freemium game with them.

But in my heart of heart, i dreamingly hope it get released next year with 75% of the promised contend and turn out to be a semi-decent if niche game. Goons quickly proceed to get in with starter 40$ packs and ruin everything with cheap tactics, schrewd business sense and good communication, making the Idris and Javelin owners scream with impotence on the forum.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Go gently caress yourself Karl

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

aleksendr posted:

I have been lurking into this thread for pure entertainement value since around page 30 and it managed to give me a few solid laugh and a weird desire to buy Elite Dangerous with a voice pack for its AI.

If i had any prediction to make, i think 2 scenarios are possible :

The first one is similar to what happened for APB (All Point Bulletin) : The "game" (meaning the PU) will be released (in 2-3 years) as a sordid mess in an financially unsustainable state (no way a semi mmo can support a sttaff of 100+, 5 mocap studios and 3 offices). It will flounder quickly and may be re-launched a few month later with another publisher, transformed in a pure P2W tier unlock arena shooter like War Thunder or World of *

The second one is much more grim. Squadron 42 comes out next year and is utter Shite, selling almost no units since its already been "pre-paid" by almost everyone interested in buying it. Lack of funds cause the whole thing to unravel and it goes under, making the Jpegs akin to tullips in Holland. The assets are sold to some China studio who then proceed to pump out a mobile freemium game with them.

But in my heart of heart, i dreamingly hope it get released next year with 75% of the promised contend and turn out to be a semi-decent if niche game. Goons quickly proceed to get in with starter 40$ packs and ruin everything with cheap tactics, schrewd business sense and good communication, making the Idris and Javelin owners scream with impotence on the forum.

Elite is really chill

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ravane posted:

That's fake as gently caress.

Anyway, has anyone figured whose alt messi_knessi is? It's only 24 days old and posts exclusively in r/DerekSmart. That CreamSoda guy maybe? I don't think it's Karl but I admit I didn't read all that nonsense looking for references to auditing or army brothers-in-law/husbands.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

fuctifino posted:

Sandi's slaves are preparing :lesnick:'s evening snack

they need to take their portion quickly before :lesnick: returns

TO THE BLACK AREA

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Eonwe posted:

Go gently caress yourself Karl

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

they need to take their portion quickly before :lesnick: returns

TO THE BLACK AREA

You got it all wrong, that's how they contain :lesnick: inside the Black Area. Otherwise he starts roaming the office looking for prey. :krakken:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sarsapariller posted:

I still think you're an rear end in a top hat though.

He also has yet to post in a thread that wasn't dedicated to making fun of one game.

So an unreasonable and weird rear end in a top hat.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

starkebn posted:

What bullshit helmet would spray light into your eyes?

Sadly, most Sci-Fi movie use that road since it make the face of the actor (the very face selling your movie and the story to the public) light up for your viewing pleasure.

2 hours of people in cockpit looking like this :

Make the story hard to follow.

If i have any beef with SC helmet design its the lack of peripheral vision. Any commander would probably have one custom made without the huge side blinder after surviving his/her first tour of duty.

Edit: Spelling.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 26, 2015

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

So I guess here's my optimal Star Citizen outcome:

1. CIG lasts long enough to bring the engine and all the core features into a stable and functional state

2. CIG runs out of money and SC is acquired by another more competent dev

3. Star Citizen is freed from the influence of croberts and friends and is properly finished by the new dev (without all the bullshit PvP sliders and customer service minigames)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

aleksendr posted:

Sadly, most Sci-Fi movie use that road since it make the face of the actor (the very face selling your movie and the story to the public) light up for your viewing pleasure.

So just do what the IronMan movies do?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sarsapariller posted:

They basically straight up lied by omission on this one. They billed it as "Luxury" and sold it with all these statistical +1's over the base variant, after a string of sales where the highest price ship always had some sort of combat advantage. And then it turns out the "Luxury" actually meant "Tacky garbage" because clearly that's what the backers really wanted.

Actually, no. I've been saying this since... Well, since forever. There's two types of luxury cars. One is a rolls royce. Nice and comfy. Fast-ish in very straight lines. Okay as a car, but not something you'd want to own unless you have a gigantic garage, because it's as big and heavy as a loving barge.

Second type is a Ferrari. It's absolute poo poo as a car you can actually use for normal car things, but goes pretty fast on a race track.

Phoenix is literally both of those in one. You get a barge that's blinged the gently caress up an carries a Ferrari. I've been saying this ever since they first announced Phoenix, but people just wouldn't listen! :laugh:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

aleksendr posted:

If i have any beef with SC helmet design is the lack of peripheral vision. Any commander would probably have one custom made without the huge side blinder after surviving his/her first tour of duty.

So, basically, this:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Fun things to do:

1. Consider buying Elite Dangerous. For $15 you can get the current game on Steam, and you can then buy the Horizons expansion for a $15 discount. Thus you can play Elite now and also later. Why Frontier doesn't sell just Horizons and let everyone who has it play Elite now is beyond me, but WTF do I know I haven't released a successful game.

2. Go play Star Sector. It's cheap, fun, and every patch has even more awesome poo poo.

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm of two minds about it. On the one hand, I agree with you- less engineering debt. On the other hand, they're selling that ship for $275. It really should have as much care put into it as the other ships. And on the other other hand, they don't need more ships. They keep promising, and selling, new fighters when it's evident from this and the Sabre and the Archimedes that they are now reduced to just tacking on some fins or whatever and calling it a new concept sale. It's pointless bloat for the sake of short-term profit.

I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for anyone who purchases a ship, so as far as I'm concerned CIG should focus on delivering the game and not catering to the self-entitled horde of autistic manchildren who should have realized they are irrelevant years ago. Frankly the "value" of a ship should mean only one thing; the amount of money that was extracted from a bank account. The worst thing CIG can do is let their marketing influence game development any more than it already has.

Dusty Lens posted:

Matt "Skillcheck" Sherman.

He had a great meltdown when Beer questioned him back when Beer still had the capacity for love. Fled the RSI chatroll after announcing that he was being hounded into a departure. What a guy.

I can't wait for them to talk about what the gently caress Sandi was doing up there when they release the 'making of' documentary for this thing.

I feel like Matt is in the unenviable position of having to design a game for a "visionary" who could not possibly care less about gameplay. If solid mechanics was even remotely a priority then the flight model would have been finalized before AC was released, CIG would actually have an answer for the controller debate that's been raging for years, we wouldn't have hours of Chris masturbating about motion capture, and the scope wouldn't increase every time CIG needs to sell another ship. But they're not and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the technical designers are tossed back in forth even worse than the art teams based on whatever bullshit feature Chris thinks is the most important thing ever with his goldfish-like attention to detail. Unfortunately flat out admitting that most of the mechanics are barely words on paper would run the risk of hurting ship sales and thus evoke the wrath of Sandi.

G0RF posted:

Here's the full text of the recent PC Gamer article for those curious...

gently caress me I practically obsessed over this loving game for years and I didn't know poo poo about their level design theory. Making a comparison to Deus Ex or Thief is a really powerful statement. You would think something that integral to their design philosophy would be shared with the people who actually loving paid for the game. What the gently caress.

G0RF posted:

Pay them no mind. They used to be employees but they're just anonymous hate mongers now.

Kinda like Beer4TheBeerGod used to be a valuable member of the community, but now he's a vicious traitor and "not a good person".

Or how anybody who posts here is terrible and should be banned.

Not a cult.

Agrajag posted:

google street view seems to indicate that they are smack dab in the middle of a beach side strip mall or at least very close to the beach. place looks pricey

That's the old office and yes it's a really weird place. It's actually a pair of offices that don't even have bathrooms (there's a key) and everyone is cramped inside a volume smaller than a typical suburban house. The offices are connected to a hallway that leads to a back alley on one end and some kind of high end strip mall on the other. It's incredibly close to the beach and a quick walk to the Santa Monica pier. There is absolutely nothing about the location that seems conducive towards the needs of game development or the employees who work there; a 600 square foot apartment costs $2500 per month. My understanding is that most people commute through traffic which, as a lifelong inhabitant of the Washington DC area, I can confidently say is hosed beyond comprehension. Compare that to the location of another game company led by a legendary developer.

MeLKoR posted:

I'm pretty sure that door slammed shut as soon as I declared that Sandi would bear responsibility for her predatory marketing should a backer kill themselves. They got pretty offended by that one.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

fuzzknot posted:

I did. That was the moment--well, all of Citcon was--when I freaked out at Bootcha because this whole drat thing was so obviously a train wreck.

Hahahahahahaha--Egad, I feel self-owned.

edit: Oh, yeah--I meant "Why couldn't they have written a better script for Citcon,"
"IMMERSION".

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

aleksendr posted:

If i have any beef with SC helmet design is the lack of peripheral vision. Any commander would probably have one custom made without the huge side blinder after surviving his/her first tour of duty.

They flat out consider limited vision to be a balancing mechanism. I'm pretty sure Star Citizen is basically Idiocracy in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

G0RF posted:

"IMMERSION".

Ohhhhhhh, as in "drowning." Got it.

• Locked thread