Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I wanted to unearth this because I'm catching up, but I watched Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief last night and one of the ex-members literally says exactly this as proof of why Scientology is a cult rather than a religion - that if you asked a random 'church' member what Scientology's beliefs are they wouldn't be able to tell you because the tenets its supposedly based on change the deeper - and more in debt - into the cult you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So just do what the IronMan movies do?

Thats one way to do it but all the CGI in those shots cost money, not everyone is as good looking as RDJ that close and there is a limit of how many time you can have extreme close-up of someone before it get visually unsettling.

Sadly, the light in your face/neck is the current norm for the soft sci-fi look

Thankfully "The Martian" and "Interstellar" did not go down that road.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 26, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Imagine Darth Vader, but with a light in his helmet. :3:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
i'm just gonna keep posting poo poo like this

stupid matching chair for their stupid airplane desk : $1700 - 2800
https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod60107&categoryId=search

$900 airplane drawer or whatever
https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2140447&categoryId=search

another 700 lamp

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Truga posted:

. . . I just pictured Darth Vader with a miner's helmet with the lamp and then imagined him whacking his head on the roof of the tunnel. :3:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

kikkelivelho posted:

So I guess here's my optimal Star Citizen outcome:

1. CIG lasts long enough to bring the engine and all the core features into a stable and functional state

2. CIG runs out of money and SC is acquired by another more competent dev

3. Star Citizen is freed from the influence of croberts and friends and is properly finished by the new dev (without all the bullshit PvP sliders and customer service minigames)

I'm very doubtfull any western dev would be willing to touch such stinky IP with a twelve foot pole. Anyone saying "We can make it good, just give us some MORE time" would have all the ire of the recently fleeced backers and none of the original faith/dream fuel, making it a very dangerous project no matter how talented you are.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Maldoror posted:

Hey everybody

My X79 mobo supports the E7 8890v2 Xeon processor, thinking of spending the $7,000 to get it for Star Citizen.

Thoughts?

I recommend the E5-2687W v3 personally! It's a mere 10 cores vs the 15 core E7, but those gigahertz!!

It's only ~3000-3500$ retail though, so you could get two of them :v:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Truga posted:

You mean :psylon: ?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Eonwe posted:

Elite is really chill

For Christmas, as a gift from myself to myself with love, i'm undecided between it, "From the Depths" or "Space Engineer" but i fear the latter will make my 4Gig ram I5 with a bargain GeForce melt from the rendering alone.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Pièce De Résistance

you absolutely CANNOT make a proper space sim with out a $2500 nickle plated TV Easel

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod690285&categoryId=cat1536029

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

aleksendr posted:

Thankfully "The Martian" did not go down that road.

*Ahem*

So I guess those were Pootatoes, huh?

Thank you, and good night.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sarsapariller posted:

I've put about 30 hours into Fo4 in the last week- I am unhealthily addicted to base building. SC is not a video game by any stretch of the imagination, but as far as tech demos go- I've seen worse. It's very pretty and has a lot of complex systems that are gradually coming together with less and less error. I wouldn't recommend buying in until it's done, given the time and cash it's taken to get this far, and I think CIG and Ben/Sandi/Chris are truly nasty people. But even the shittiest project's going to have a few silver linings.

Also this is completely unrelated but cool, if you don't meet Dogmeat at the Red Rocket station but progress the main quest, you'll be properly introduced to him later when you need him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyhNZPTXrAo

He apparently has a history helping solve crimes across the Commonwealth. :3:

Baronjutter posted:

Pretty sure he's the littlest hobo

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

aleksendr posted:

For Christmas, as a gift from myself to myself with love, i'm undecided between it, "From the Depths" or "Space Engineer" but i fear the latter will make my 4Gig ram I5 with a bargain GeForce melt from the rendering alone.

Space Engineers is what would happen if Minecraft and Kerbal Space Program had a baby. I've lost days to it. Beware.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nicholas posted:

i'm just gonna keep posting poo poo like this

stupid matching chair for their stupid airplane desk : $1700 - 2800
https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod60107&categoryId=search

$900 airplane drawer or whatever
https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2140447&categoryId=search

another 700 lamp

Nicholas posted:

Pièce De Résistance

you absolutely CANNOT make a proper space sim with out a $2500 nickle plated TV Easel

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod690285&categoryId=cat1536029

how much loving money has CIG spent on that website to buy ugly overpriced furniture? goddamn

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

how much loving money has CIG spent on that website to buy ugly overpriced furniture? goddamn

He just wants to take you to another plane of existence

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

aleksendr posted:

2 hours of people in cockpit looking like this :

What's interesting is that of all the flight helmets you chose to make your point, you chose the one for the F-35 that costs several hundred dollars a pop due to advanced augmented reality systems that were only necessary because it is literally impossible to see directly behind you while flying, and therefore is so heavy there is a nonzero chance of it snapping your neck if you decide to eject from your garbage airplane. I feel it's a good allegory for Star Citizen's development up to this point.

Nabeshin_Afroman
Feb 17, 2005

he tips at the end of shoelaces are called 'aglets'. Their true purpose is sinister
So Mark 'Old Man' Hamil just posted this on twitter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY_quiW967g its the first look trailer for squadron 42 are you going to answer the call.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Night 4 of mucking around in the PU, new objective: Actually complete an in-game mission. Go somewhere, do a thing, without crashing.

Attempt 1: This one lasted quite a while- maybe the fixes are working? Took a gladius out to a comm array and fought off the pirates. Activated the doodad inside, went cryo-astro station to get repairs, and then tried to warp to the beacon it gave me. Oops, apparently the quest was bugged- I was supposed to warp to the quest giver first, so my QT to the beacon sends me flying into deep space and I explode. Surprisingly, I do not crash! Respawn in bed, get another gladius, go to the quest giver. It appears that they actually recorded some dialog for this- I'm told to go somewhere-or-other and rescue some guy. QT to the location, find myself in a deep space asteroid field. Game finally crashes.

Attempt 2: I exit the spawn bedroom to find a man embedded halfway into the ceiling, only his legs visible as he kind of shuffles around the corridor. Never a good sign. I decide not to spawn the retaliator as it seems to have the critical drawback of not having any loving guns that work, or at least, none of the ones I've tried have been able to fire. Instead I go out on the platform and wait for a Constellation owner to spawn- there's always a couple. The first one to pop up glitches out and all I can see are weapons, missiles, and thruster points hanging in midair. Okay, not boarding that. Soon enough another one is spawned and I jump onboard. I opt for the bottom turret this time because I've heard that CIG improved the visibility and it's usable now. CIG are liars. 90% of the view screen is still only visible if my rear end turns transparent. Still watching the ship take off and pull up landing gear is cool. We jump to a combat zone and I start trying to target, only to learn that there's some kind of HUD bug for the turrets and I cannot designate targets at all, which means I get no lead indicators for the loving guns, which means I'm basically useless. On top of that the gun isn't stabilized against the violent maneuvers the Connie pilot throws us through so I can't hold aim for poo poo. Regardless we make short work of the pirates (they are very easy, the NPC good guys usually win alone) and then there's some mission to do something to the comm array. Rather than do that I go back to see if I can launch the Merlin that comes standard on all Constellations. I get in the cockpit but it fails to boot up and it won't launch. Then the game crashes to desktop.

Attempt 3: Spawn in, run downstairs- nobody else in the lobby, that's a bit eerie. Go to the terminal to spawn a ship and the bootup animation begins playing on continuous loop- uh oh. Can't exit terminal, can't do anything. Server crashes.

Attempt 4: Spawn a retaliator, ask if anyone wants to help me test the turrets out- no takers. Decide to just joyride it- warp out to a station, game crashes.

Attempt 5: I feel like I'm in Groundhog Day, constantly waking up in the stupid bed to run out and perform the same actions. I got a couple of warning messages about timeouts before I was allowed into the server this time- they persist into the game with me, a nice blue box square over the center of my vision. I figure screw it, I'm going to crash in a few minutes anyway, might as well roll with it. Spawn a gladius and have to stand there waiting for the airlock to cycle as one rear end in a top hat after another rushes in and triggers it before I can get through. I signal my displeasure by flicking my flashlight on and off in their faces. Fly out to one of the comm arrays and it turns out that it is actually quite difficult to fight pirates when they are in M50's and you have a blue box obscuring your HUD. Slam into the array and die- respawn in that drat bed, but this time I'm stuck and can't move. Exit game.

Attempt 6: I begin to wonder how many times Bill Murray just thought "gently caress It" and killed everyone in that town. This time I grab a hornet, which is inexplicably on my account despite my not owning one. On trying to enter, my character teleports above the seat and floats down into it. Well alright. This thing sucks- it has 2 guns and no missiles, and spazzes out when I try to take off, breaking the tail off of it. I take it out to shoot some pirates anyway- kill two, game crashes. Begin again.

Attempt 7: Spawn the gladius since it appears to be the only effective ship that I own and take it out to the comm array. Killing the pirates is becoming a bit of a chore- I'm not sure why CIG chose to have them spawn in M50's and 300's but they are obscenely fast and hard to hit. It's like trying to play an MMO and all the goddamn monsters are sprinting away from you and you only get a kill if you manage to catch them. Kill all pirates, prepare to enter station (hitting the comm array button will start the in-game mission that I'm trying to complete). Game crashes. loving... one more.

Attempt 8: I'm really starting to hate whoever decided to paint all of the spawn rooms in pukey industrial green. It's the only color on any of the walls and it's just awful. Spawn gladius, fly to station... crash to desktop. Okay, we're done here.

Mission status: Not even close to complete.

Summary/Final thoughts: The first couple attempts were extremely stable and then after that it deteriorated into the typical shitfest of 2-3 minute crashes. I'm willing to bet that a ton more people are trying to get on without running through the patch/verify steps that CIG recommends, and crashing the game. That's really on CIG though- it's complete B.S. to roll this out to 15k people and then say in the footnotes "Oh but if you don't hit this button you'll crash the game for everyone when you connect kthx." Still, we're getting there by degrees. Another week or two and it'll probably be stable.

One thing I'm noticing- as it becomes easier to play, it is becoming a lot more apparent how thin a lot of the mechanical systems are. There's no way to navigate for Quantum travel except by known reference points- you move too fast and everything's too blurred for you to be able to, say, supercruise around a system like you would in Elite. The multi-crew implementation is paper thin- sure you can walk around on the ships together, but there's no reason to ever take a mc ship right now- it just hampers your firepower and makes you a big target, plus they seem much more crash prone. Which leads me to another point- only allowing people to test the ships they own is loving stupid. It means the bigger more expensive ships will be tested significantly less than all the piddly single seat stuff, and the big ones are the ones where all the problems are occurring! Almost nobody is testing multi-crew because it's a loving hassle to get someone to spawn a Connie and wait around for you, and actually coordinate movements through the single chat window. It doesn't help my frustration that the only combat-viable ship I own is the light fighter- the $250 bomber is a useless brick because none of the turrets work.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I feel like Matt is in the unenviable position of having to design a game for a "visionary" who could not possibly care less about gameplay.

I feel that Matt is the guy who argued that the Cutlass was fine because one person turreting in space sniping out Auroras as they spawned in was doing well on the scoreboard. Maybe he was saying so because someone told him that if he didn't he would be fired. I personally suspect it's because his jowls go all a quiver when confronted with criticism from below. Which is probably why most of these people shouldn't be allowed to interact with the customers. See: Having a meltdown in chatroll and stomping off in a huff. Or writing a rant about ethics in journalism.

Being said, virtually everyone who works at CIG is in an unenviable position of trying to coax a dream to poo poo out a game before being told that their particular segment of the turd needs to be shoved back in for another round in the colon.

Nabeshin_Afroman posted:

So Mark 'Old Man' Hamil just posted this on twitter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY_quiW967g its the first look trailer for squadron 42 are you going to answer the call.

Oh heck. That's not some alpha demo. That's a commercial.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 26, 2015

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Nabeshin_Afroman posted:

oh poo poo. Looks like they really are gearing up to push SQ42 out the door.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 26, 2015

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

*Ahem*

So I guess those were Pootatoes, huh?

Thank you, and good night.

poo poo, your right. I had forgotten about the night scenes.

but it prove the thing is nearly expectd by the audience now. The first few space tourists are going to wonder where the face light are...

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If you look at some of their other studios it becomes really apparent whats happening.

Here is CIG autsin (now closed?)

Actual desks meant to be used in an office, a whiteboard on the wall, decently lit.

Foundry 42 in germany

really utilitarian, kind of cramped but good lighthing, CABINETS

These are actual office of companies whose main goal is to do work. Santa Monica is all about chris and sandi trying to make and impress their hollywood friends, and not at all concerned with productivity when it comes to game development.

a 2nd airplane chair has hit the tower

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 26, 2015

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for anyone who purchases a ship, so as far as I'm concerned CIG should focus on delivering the game and not catering to the self-entitled horde of autistic manchildren who should have realized they are irrelevant years ago. Frankly the "value" of a ship should mean only one thing; the amount of money that was extracted from a bank account. The worst thing CIG can do is let their marketing influence game development any more than it already has.

We were all ship purchasers once, though. Ultimately I agree with you- even though I fully include myself among that horde. Our desires and wants really don't factor into it and it's kind of pointless to be outraged by their behavior as we're not the target audience, and those who are have happily bought this and the follow-ups no matter how little work seems to go into them now. I'd be more copacetic about it if the work savings seemed to be going into producing the other aspects of the game- which, who knows, maybe it is. 2.0 has definitely got some unseen assets in it. In the end it doesn't matter to me, I won't be giving them another dime even if the game comes out. They've burned too many bridges with the marketing front they've put up.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

Attempt 2: I exit the spawn bedroom to find a man embedded halfway into the ceiling, only his legs visible as he kind of shuffles around the corridor. Never a good sign.

Emergent space horror gameplay.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SirPhoebos posted:

Yes you do. Go read the grognards.txt thread, and then weep for the Universe.

Huh?

Misren
Nov 30, 2014

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.

Nation posted:

Hey guys Chris Roberts here

gently caress you and thanks for the laughs

I'm rich btcih

I want this quote on my jpegs.

Ahh Yes
Nov 16, 2004
>_>
This may be pure ignorance on my part, but aren't the idea of space fighters and especially space fighter pilots completely a dumb idea?

Why not just use smaller robots who aren't g-force limited and can do everything a human can do except better and aren't dumb enough to spend money on this game.

Huh well good to think about this salient point. This is my one sperg into this game.

hth

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

aleksendr posted:

Thats one way to do it but all the CGI in those shots cost money, not everyone is as good looking as EDJ that close and there is a limit of how many time you can have extreme close-up of someone before it get visually unsettling.

Sadly, the light in your face/neck is the current norm for the soft sci-fi look

Thankfully "The Martian" and "Interstellar" did not go down that road.

It's just another example of how little thought they put into things.

quote:

'Darth Vader never had a helmet like this,’ says Billy Flynn, a senior Lockheed Martin test pilot with combat experience flying Royal Canadian Air Force CF-18s in Serbia and Bosnia, showing me his Vision Systems International 'bone-dome’. Made of carbon-fibre, the Israeli-US-designed augmented-reality helmet is packed with hi-tech gadgetry, and displays all the data the pilot needs inside its visor.

'This is an essential part of the F-35. It’s what makes such a difference,’ Flynn says. 'It’s been laser-scanned to fit my head, bumps and all. Through it, I can see 360 degrees all around the airplane. It’s wild seeing the undulations of the Red River along the Texas border beneath your feet. It’s virtual reality! Strange? Different, sure, but there’s not a pilot who would trade it for anything else. It needs refining, but it’ll make pilot and airplane an integral, all-seeing weapon.’

2015:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0btzIvlScI

2945:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFhPSUohYKs

There were a few times that I played the game and it was glitched so that ship itself disappeared. It was so much more fun, and it would be easy to handwave as advanced helmet technology. Pilots without the tech would have to look through obscured windows as they do now.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Karl is a part of this threads rogues gallery along with Seraph, Octopode and DickWulf. He pretends to be posting as multiple people that are all pretty easy to identify. He's hyper-obsessed with Derek Smart and has lately exhibited stalking behavior towards Bootcha.

He can go gently caress himself.

Yes. He's an unrepentant moron. And a pissant.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I can't believe Karl is real...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sarsapariller posted:

Night 4 of mucking around in the PU, new objective: Actually complete an in-game mission. Go somewhere, do a thing, without crashing.

Attempt 1: This one lasted quite a while- maybe the fixes are working? Took a gladius out to a comm array and fought off the pirates. Activated the doodad inside, went cryo-astro station to get repairs, and then tried to warp to the beacon it gave me. Oops, apparently the quest was bugged- I was supposed to warp to the quest giver first, so my QT to the beacon sends me flying into deep space and I explode. Surprisingly, I do not crash! Respawn in bed, get another gladius, go to the quest giver. It appears that they actually recorded some dialog for this- I'm told to go somewhere-or-other and rescue some guy. QT to the location, find myself in a deep space asteroid field. Game finally crashes.

Attempt 2: I exit the spawn bedroom to find a man embedded halfway into the ceiling, only his legs visible as he kind of shuffles around the corridor. Never a good sign. I decide not to spawn the retaliator as it seems to have the critical drawback of not having any loving guns that work, or at least, none of the ones I've tried have been able to fire. Instead I go out on the platform and wait for a Constellation owner to spawn- there's always a couple. The first one to pop up glitches out and all I can see are weapons, missiles, and thruster points hanging in midair. Okay, not boarding that. Soon enough another one is spawned and I jump onboard. I opt for the bottom turret this time because I've heard that CIG improved the visibility and it's usable now. CIG are liars. 90% of the view screen is still only visible if my rear end turns transparent. Still watching the ship take off and pull up landing gear is cool. We jump to a combat zone and I start trying to target, only to learn that there's some kind of HUD bug for the turrets and I cannot designate targets at all, which means I get no lead indicators for the loving guns, which means I'm basically useless. On top of that the gun isn't stabilized against the violent maneuvers the Connie pilot throws us through so I can't hold aim for poo poo. Regardless we make short work of the pirates (they are very easy, the NPC good guys usually win alone) and then there's some mission to do something to the comm array. Rather than do that I go back to see if I can launch the Merlin that comes standard on all Constellations. I get in the cockpit but it fails to boot up and it won't launch. Then the game crashes to desktop.

Attempt 3: Spawn in, run downstairs- nobody else in the lobby, that's a bit eerie. Go to the terminal to spawn a ship and the bootup animation begins playing on continuous loop- uh oh. Can't exit terminal, can't do anything. Server crashes.

Attempt 4: Spawn a retaliator, ask if anyone wants to help me test the turrets out- no takers. Decide to just joyride it- warp out to a station, game crashes.

Attempt 5: I feel like I'm in Groundhog Day, constantly waking up in the stupid bed to run out and perform the same actions. I got a couple of warning messages about timeouts before I was allowed into the server this time- they persist into the game with me, a nice blue box square over the center of my vision. I figure screw it, I'm going to crash in a few minutes anyway, might as well roll with it. Spawn a gladius and have to stand there waiting for the airlock to cycle as one rear end in a top hat after another rushes in and triggers it before I can get through. I signal my displeasure by flicking my flashlight on and off in their faces. Fly out to one of the comm arrays and it turns out that it is actually quite difficult to fight pirates when they are in M50's and you have a blue box obscuring your HUD. Slam into the array and die- respawn in that drat bed, but this time I'm stuck and can't move. Exit game.

Attempt 6: I begin to wonder how many times Bill Murray just thought "gently caress It" and killed everyone in that town. This time I grab a hornet, which is inexplicably on my account despite my not owning one. On trying to enter, my character teleports above the seat and floats down into it. Well alright. This thing sucks- it has 2 guns and no missiles, and spazzes out when I try to take off, breaking the tail off of it. I take it out to shoot some pirates anyway- kill two, game crashes. Begin again.

Attempt 7: Spawn the gladius since it appears to be the only effective ship that I own and take it out to the comm array. Killing the pirates is becoming a bit of a chore- I'm not sure why CIG chose to have them spawn in M50's and 300's but they are obscenely fast and hard to hit. It's like trying to play an MMO and all the goddamn monsters are sprinting away from you and you only get a kill if you manage to catch them. Kill all pirates, prepare to enter station (hitting the comm array button will start the in-game mission that I'm trying to complete). Game crashes. loving... one more.

Attempt 8: I'm really starting to hate whoever decided to paint all of the spawn rooms in pukey industrial green. It's the only color on any of the walls and it's just awful. Spawn gladius, fly to station... crash to desktop. Okay, we're done here.

Mission status: Not even close to complete.

Summary/Final thoughts: The first couple attempts were extremely stable and then after that it deteriorated into the typical shitfest of 2-3 minute crashes. I'm willing to bet that a ton more people are trying to get on without running through the patch/verify steps that CIG recommends, and crashing the game. That's really on CIG though- it's complete B.S. to roll this out to 15k people and then say in the footnotes "Oh but if you don't hit this button you'll crash the game for everyone when you connect kthx." Still, we're getting there by degrees. Another week or two and it'll probably be stable.

One thing I'm noticing- as it becomes easier to play, it is becoming a lot more apparent how thin a lot of the mechanical systems are. There's no way to navigate for Quantum travel except by known reference points- you move too fast and everything's too blurred for you to be able to, say, supercruise around a system like you would in Elite. The multi-crew implementation is paper thin- sure you can walk around on the ships together, but there's no reason to ever take a mc ship right now- it just hampers your firepower and makes you a big target, plus they seem much more crash prone. Which leads me to another point- only allowing people to test the ships they own is loving stupid. It means the bigger more expensive ships will be tested significantly less than all the piddly single seat stuff, and the big ones are the ones where all the problems are occurring! Almost nobody is testing multi-crew because it's a loving hassle to get someone to spawn a Connie and wait around for you, and actually coordinate movements through the single chat window. It doesn't help my frustration that the only combat-viable ship I own is the light fighter- the $250 bomber is a useless brick because none of the turrets work.

Your patch attempt notes own and are the best posts in this thread recently.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

I feel that Matt is the guy who argued that the Cutlass was fine because one person turreting in space sniping out Auroras as they spawned in was doing well on the scoreboard. Maybe he was saying so because someone told him that if he didn't he would be fired. I personally suspect it's because his jowls go all a quiver when confronted with criticism from below. Which is probably why most of these people shouldn't be allowed to interact with the customers. See: Having a meltdown in chatroll and stomping off in a huff. Or writing a rant about ethics in journalism.

Being said, virtually everyone who works at CIG is in an unenviable position of trying to coax a dream to poo poo out a game before being told that their particular segment of the turd needs to be shoved back in for another round in the colon.

I'm so glad you and I have grown in our cynicism together.

Nicholas posted:

If you look at some of their other studios it becomes really apparent whats happening.

Here is CIG autsin (now closed?)

Actual desks meant to be used in an office, a whiteboard on the wall, decently lit.

Foundry 42 in germany

really utilitarian, kind of cramped but good lighthing, CABINETS

These are actual office of companies whose main goal is to do work. Santa Monica is all about chris and sandi trying to make and impress their hollywood friends, and not at all concerned with productivity when it comes to game development.

a 2nd airplane chair has hit the tower

I'm pretty sure the aircraft furniture used to be in Austin. At one point they had a complete studio set up for Wingman's Hangar. Rather than continue a good thing they tore it all down, shipped the furniture to Santa Monica (or bought new poo poo who knows), and then set it up in some weird corner of the office. Losing Eric Peterson was a major blow in my opinion. He was actually charismatic and fun while not bullshitting people, whereas I don't think it's possible to get any more wooden and awkward than Sandi and Ben.

Sarsapariller posted:

We were all ship purchasers once, though. Ultimately I agree with you- even though I fully include myself among that horde. Our desires and wants really don't factor into it and it's kind of pointless to be outraged by their behavior as we're not the target audience, and those who are have happily bought this and the follow-ups no matter how little work seems to go into them now. I'd be more copacetic about it if the work savings seemed to be going into producing the other aspects of the game- which, who knows, maybe it is. 2.0 has definitely got some unseen assets in it. In the end it doesn't matter to me, I won't be giving them another dime even if the game comes out. They've burned too many bridges with the marketing front they've put up.

It's actually funny how consistently callous CIG is about their customers. LTI, alpha access, limited ships, the Cutlass, and now most recently the Constellation Phoenix. Now that I'm permaprobated and no longer capable of even viewing the Brown Sea (seriously I have to log out to even view a post) it's been fun to watch CIG gently caress over each new group of complainers in the exact same way.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

The bizarre truth about Star Citizen is that anything can be real. Even Karl.

Edit: And yeah. Rob and Eric used to be settled around the airplane wing table. CIG kept the table and Ben in the divorce and Wingman was forced to go make what looks to be a successful game with his friends.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 26, 2015

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Yes. He's an unrepentant moron. And a pissant.

What more do you expect from a fat nazi accountant?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

A Neurotic Jew posted:

oh poo poo. Looks like they really are gearing up to push SQ42 out the door.

I would say media marketing blitz to capitalize on the PC Gamer spread. If they had anything serious it would have been show in the 3rd anniversary stream. Its also something that can be produced in less than a week, unlike gameplay.

for example, Saint rows 3 showed us this :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN2-WSyRuO0 4 months before release, so i would say SQ42 is nowhere close to finished unless it is very short (like 4-8 hour).

Of course having SQ42 been very short play up to CGI situation, since it will count as "delivered" and they could continue to nickel and dime a good % of the backers 20$ for each "Episode" of gameplay, each an half hour of mocap cutscenes and twelve 20 minutes missions ending on a cliff hanger.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gwaihir posted:

Your patch attempt notes own and are the best posts in this thread recently.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

TTerrible posted:

Space Engineers is what would happen if Minecraft and Kerbal Space Program had a baby. I've lost days to it. Beware.

I hadn't played Space Engineers in about a year, but I loaded it up a few hours ago and was blown away. I expected maybe a decent sized planet, but not star systems. I'm actually kind of afraid to spend more time with it because it might start taking up all of my free time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Seraph most hosed up
Dickwulf and Karl tied
Octopode just can't let go of his lovely purchase but isn't a bad person

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15084-Kruger-P-72-Archimedes-Q-A

Wait wait wait. Is the Archimedes being sold as a loving racing ship now? Did they actually take out the main gun to put in a fuel tank? Jesus Christ, the Phoenix owners get absolutely hosed at every turn. It is the Cutlass 2.0 and I'm so glad I sold mine on the grey market before all this came out.

Yes. It's called The Shafting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
PTU isn't crashing like crazy with 2.0D. Got to play for about 30 minutes straight and experience a whole new set of bugs. Favorite being 'death by repair drone'.

• Locked thread