Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's just another example of how little thought they put into things.

2015:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0btzIvlScI

2945:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFhPSUohYKs

There were a few times that I played the game and it was glitched so that ship itself disappeared. It was so much more fun, and it would be easy to handwave as advanced helmet technology. Pilots without the tech would have to look through obscured windows as they do now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRqn0hzoy4c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Regrettable posted:

I hadn't played Space Engineers in about a year, but I loaded it up a few hours ago and was blown away. I expected maybe a decent sized planet, but not star systems. I'm actually kind of afraid to spend more time with it because it might start taking up all of my free time.

I've built an automated hydrogen mining operation that is farming a frozen lake. The tankers autopilot themselves up into orbit. There is a string of satellites between the planet this is happening on and the moon I have my main base on to keep antenna links up so I can admin things remotely. A programmable block keeps the satellite solar panels pointed at the sun so they don't need reactor refuels.

I am the only man in the solar system. It is mine. I sit on a throne of gravel.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

ritorix posted:

PTU isn't crashing like crazy with 2.0D. Got to play for about 30 minutes straight and experience a whole new set of bugs. Favorite being 'death by repair drone'.

it seems like there's a window right after a patch where things become more stable, maybe because there is less stress on the server when people are downloading it? may or may not last so get your rare bug-outs in now.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Nabeshin_Afroman posted:

So Mark 'Old Man' Hamil just posted this on twitter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY_quiW967g its the first look trailer for squadron 42 are you going to answer the call.

Thats a fine looking movie trailer.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Kakarot posted:

what? DS invested 100k?

I'm out $105K in legal retainers to date.

The additional $5K is to an external PI not used by my attorneys since he's cheaper. So he had to be retained separately and paid by me, not the attorneys.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Ahh Yes posted:

This may be pure ignorance on my part, but aren't the idea of space fighters and especially space fighter pilots completely a dumb idea?

Why not just use smaller robots who aren't g-force limited and can do everything a human can do except better and aren't dumb enough to spend money on this game.

Huh well good to think about this salient point. This is my one sperg into this game.

hth

Depend how "Hard" you like your sci-fi. If you want something halfway realistic then no, fighters in space make no sense. One of the best description of space combat in a hard sci-fi book is in "The Forever War":

The troop transport our protagonist is riding get ambushed at its exit point by enemy crafts. All the people on board can do is strap themselves to acceleration couch and hope to live trough the incoming 20G of acceleration they have to face. Everything is left to the computer since it is the only thing able to calculate all intercepts vectors fast enough to give them a chance of surviving the attack by escaping.

The most horrible thing is that the whole fight get predicted in the very first seconds of the ambush since you cant cheat physics, maximum accelerations and burn rates, yet it will take minutes for the missiles and projectiles launched to reach you. Escape path and maneuvers are determined by pure cost analysis, the flight computer being allowed to kill a certain % of passengers due to high G maneuvers if it predict a higher chance of survival for the whole ship.

Crobberts is just making the dream game of a WW2 pacific theater pilot, in space.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Dream game" is accurate.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Mirificus posted:

Joins Reddit to post about Derek Smart:

:ironicat:

Oh they've resorted to making poo poo up now, then? Where exactly did they get it from that I had met with any AGs? Let alone those two?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Is this thread behind the paywall?

e: nope.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno how realistic it seems but, having ships pressurizing and depressurizing (seemingly in an instant) is mindboggling to me.

Also has anyone tried to shoot somebody in a diff zone (i.e ship -> landing pad / vice versa)? What happens to the bullet?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

D_Smart posted:

Oh they've resorted to making poo poo up now, then? Where exactly did they get it from that I had met with any AGs? Let alone those two?

Mixing up past with future tense I suppose?

D_Smart posted:

We're working through it. Had a legal meeting today discussing some things (the arbitration clause which they've only just figured out how to get around). Also have a meeting with the AG of two States next week.

Trust me, we're on it. It's huge. And if those pricks are reading this, I think they know by now that I'm not screwing around. I have given them every opportunity to do the right thing.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Mirificus posted:

Hear hear, love is blind.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nicholas posted:

Pièce De Résistance

you absolutely CANNOT make a proper space sim with out a $2500 nickle plated TV Easel

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod690285&categoryId=cat1536029

Keep them coming. I've been tweeting them

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Nicholas posted:

Pièce De Résistance

you absolutely CANNOT make a proper space sim with out a $2500 nickle plated TV Easel

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod690285&categoryId=cat1536029

Why?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

D_Smart posted:

Keep them coming. I've been tweeting them

Yo Derek, someone has issued a takedown on the refund link.

Can't imagine why they'd target that one over the others..

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm so glad you and I have grown in our cynicism together.

I'm pretty sure the aircraft furniture used to be in Austin. At one point they had a complete studio set up for Wingman's Hangar. Rather than continue a good thing they tore it all down, shipped the furniture to Santa Monica (or bought new poo poo who knows), and then set it up in some weird corner of the office. Losing Eric Peterson was a major blow in my opinion. He was actually charismatic and fun while not bullshitting people, whereas I don't think it's possible to get any more wooden and awkward than Sandi and Ben.

It's actually funny how consistently callous CIG is about their customers. LTI, alpha access, limited ships, the Cutlass, and now most recently the Constellation Phoenix. Now that I'm permaprobated and no longer capable of even viewing the Brown Sea (seriously I have to log out to even view a post) it's been fun to watch CIG gently caress over each new group of complainers in the exact same way.

Callous? How about good old fashioned lying? That's what I'm going with.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Mirificus posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:
We're working through it. Had a legal meeting today discussing some things (the arbitration clause which they've only just figured out how to get around). Also have a meeting with the AG of two States next week.

Trust me, we're on it. It's huge. And if those pricks are reading this, I think they know by now that I'm not screwing around. I have given them every opportunity to do the right thing.

Yeah, that's why I said they were making up poo poo. I'm not even the one meeting with the AG. That's what I pay attorneys for. Why the hell would I get on a plane for that? Even my AG here in FL, I'm not the one going there. And the only reason we even reached out to State AGs is based on the State where people who came to us and who are still backers, live. It's a multi-State effort.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TTerrible posted:

Yo Derek, someone has issued a takedown on the refund link.

Can't imagine why they'd target that one over the others..

Wait what? Where? When? How? What link? The imgur I Tweeted here: https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/669588631745650689

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

D_Smart posted:

Wait what? Where? When? How? What link? The imgur I Tweeted here: https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/669588631745650689

Yeah, imgur took it down.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

comatose posted:

Jesus, what is with the grouper faces.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol

old dogs, old tricks

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ideate posted:

Yeah, imgur took it down.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/2vb4gh1.jpg

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

T.G. Xarbala posted:

lol

old dogs, old tricks

alot of people are shocked to learn that Derek hasn't immediately folded his hands after the release of 2.0. Bu-bu-bu, they finally released something...where is your sense of awe? :negative:

So, they're acting up again.

hey reddit, archive this:

[pic of a puckered butthole]

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 26, 2015

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

I dunno if tinypic or you resized that but its basically impossible to read now :(

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

comatose posted:

I almost couldn't recognize it as his voice, hell or even his face. I'll admit thats a neat looking trailer, but trailers never do a good job of representing final products do they.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

Callous? How about good old fashioned lying? That's what I'm going with.

I consider the lying to be a reflection of their disdain for the very folks who ensure their livelihood. They've crafted a culture of addiction and treat their fans the same way a dealer treats a junkie.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Only three lines? Money must be tight

is this a cocaine joke?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Bootcha posted:

I wish this was real, but I have a better actual last name.

EDIT: Also, I need more "PAAAAAAAAAAARP"s recorded.

Also Derek, your loving contribution. Get it done, son.

You're an investor.

Invest in a better name!

How about Sir Bootcha Goonigan the First, Esquire.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

comatose posted:

I dunno if tinypic or you resized that but its basically impossible to read now :(

Yeah, looks like it. I will find another image repo to upload it to. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know as I have the source image

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I consider the lying to be a reflection of their disdain for the very folks who ensure their livelihood. They've crafted a culture of addiction and treat their fans the same way a dealer treats a junkie.

Pssst, hey buddy, wanna buy some jpegs? We got all the good poo poo. High fidelity, limited stock, combo packs, you name it! Just $300 a pop.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

I believe this needs more attention. There's a sick sort of irony calling something 'blue collar' and charging an absolutely disgusting amount of money for it.

D_Smart posted:

The timing of his spazzing out after The Escapist piece was right around the time when a series of scathing blogs had inundated them with questions they didn't have clear answers to. His diatribe, in addition to Ortwin's bullshit responses to our letters, clearly showed the path forward and the sort of people that we're dealing with.

But long before that, the fact that they saw it fit to issue a loving press release announcing that they had refunded me - without my asking - after my blogs started gaining media attention, made it clear that they had made it a personal thing.

Here we are.

True, I don't know why they would do that. Its like poking a bear, everyone at this point knows your history and reputation. And they could have easily just rolled their eyes and not even refund you. Or just send you an email with their refund policy or something privately. Or do what most developers do: remain quiet. But I guess Chris Robert's ego can't handle it or you were just saying what he might be thinking privately and then projecting that back on to you. Still, I'm glad at least someone did it. I loathe their funding methods, their entire attitude and their community which is the worst I've seen. Maybe it is just that way because it has been distilled down to people who are true believers, other people have left or just don't pay attention to it anymore. But this whole clusterfuck is endlessly entertaining.

Nabeshin_Afroman posted:

So Mark 'Old Man' Hamil just posted this on twitter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY_quiW967g its the first look trailer for squadron 42 are you going to answer the call.

Is everyone in this game nintey loving years old? Did Mark Hamil smoke ten packs a day of Malboros like Gary Oldman's character? Holy gently caress Chris Roberts is a poo poo director. 'You get it? His nickname is old, his voice is old, his face is old! he's old! get it!' It is like he saw Generation Kill with the officer with the hoarse voice from throat cancer and that sounded badass so everyone who is badass would have it. Goddamn.

If he's like this with a single character, imagine how he's going to be with a plot.

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Someone posting on SA mocking for-pay private internet clubs.

Ahh Yes
Nov 16, 2004
>_>

aleksendr posted:

Depend how "Hard" you like your sci-fi. If you want something halfway realistic then no, fighters in space make no sense. One of the best description of space combat in a hard sci-fi book is in "The Forever War":

The troop transport our protagonist is riding get ambushed at its exit point by enemy crafts. All the people on board can do is strap themselves to acceleration couch and hope to live trough the incoming 20G of acceleration they have to face. Everything is left to the computer since it is the only thing able to calculate all intercepts vectors fast enough to give them a chance of surviving the attack by escaping.

The most horrible thing is that the whole fight get predicted in the very first seconds of the ambush since you cant cheat physics, maximum accelerations and burn rates, yet it will take minutes for the missiles and projectiles launched to reach you. Escape path and maneuvers are determined by pure cost analysis, the flight computer being allowed to kill a certain % of passengers due to high G maneuvers if it predict a higher chance of survival for the whole ship.

Crobberts is just making the dream game of a WW2 pacific theater pilot, in space.

Yeah thanks, that makes more sense.

It seems like these games are essentially submarine games except skinned with space stuff to make it look like all space-y and poo poo.

I'd be totally excited for a Revelation Space (by Alastair Reynolds) style of combat at .99999c with the ships chasing each other and the one in front building poo poo for the ships behind to crash into and die horribly in a glorious explosion that would happen at that speed/energy.

Also special relativity could be confusing as gently caress in a video game so yeah lets put that in.

edit: I like my imaginary game better than Star Citizen already.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

no_recall posted:

Is this thread behind the paywall?

e: nope.

Nope but the Derek Smart coordination thread in private games is.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Space fighters basically didn't exist in any mainstream science-fiction until Star Wars, Star Wars of course was trying to be a World War II movie set in space. George Lucas famously spliced in gun camera footage from World War II so the FX artists would get an idea of what should be doing.
We didn't see guided missiles in any of the original three movies it wasn't until the prequel's we started to see missiles, because of course guided air to air missiles didn't really get deployed until well after World War II

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Err, it looks like it was closed since I last checked :sweatdrop:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

?

Are they just arbitrarily dropping the prices if the sale isn't going well or something?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Sappo569 posted:

?

Are they just arbitrarily dropping the prices if the sale isn't going well or something?

VAT

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
more like poo collar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Disdain? But I thought it was pure love?

Consider:

Sandi Gardiner posted:

"Star Citizen speaks to the pure essence of humanity and the purpose of human beings and I firmly believe that this is why there are so many passionate people on both sides of the fence.

Please raise your hand if you have made at least one heartfelt connection with another human being while being part of this project in any shape or form...Please give up a smile for one memory of Star Citizen that has absolutely made your day. And recount an experience that has made you believe in the power of being part of something truly special and creating something great from nothing as part of a growing community with common interests..."

(the human scale of this great work is summarized...)

"Speaking for myself, I have cried on many occasions hearing fans describe how much I have helped change their lives for the better. That makes me really happy and makes the countless hours and sacrifice to the work worthwhile."
Wait. Never mind.

• Locked thread