Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, looks like it. I will find another image repo to upload it to. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know as I have the source image
Have you heard about the wonders of Stargur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

G0RF posted:

Disdain? But I thought it was pure love?

Consider:

Wait. Never mind.
Wait, how has Sandi helped improve the lives of Star Citizens?

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Mirificus posted:

Wait, how has Sandi helped improve the lives of Star Citizens?

She relieved them of the burden of disposable income.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Stargur is great because dolvak had to go through every picture to delete the nsfw ones. I uploaded so much horrible pictures I'm sure I broke him as a person halfway through. Thanks /b/ for being the disgusting human beings I needed at that time.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

McGiggins posted:

You're an investor.

Invest in a better name!

How about Sir Bootcha Goonigan the First, Esquire.

Or Butch McKillington.

Thrasher McSteelcock.

I'm sure there are lots of ludicrously uber-macho names out there that haven't been used yet.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

I paid $10 a decade ago and the forums have consistently entertained me all that time.

It's about as far removed from the star citizen value proposition as you can possibly get. You've paid $10 to stand in front of a jeering crowd with your pants around your ankles hth.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Karl is a part of this threads rogues gallery along with Seraph, Octopode and DickWulf. He pretends to be posting as multiple people that are all pretty easy to identify. He's hyper-obsessed with Derek Smart and has lately exhibited stalking behavior towards Bootcha.

He can go gently caress himself.

Please don't speak bad about wulf. He's just trying to offer citizens a substantially smaller package than what cig has available.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Romes128 posted:

Please don't speak bad about wulf. He's just trying to offer citizens a substantially smaller package than what cig has available.
:eyepop:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Sandi Gardener is a facebook millennial.

Kronok
Sep 19, 2002
Not sure if the 64 bit theory is still going on, but shouldn't it be obvious in a video like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HvTwW055KE

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Someone tell Chris that you can mocap ship models....

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Kronok posted:

Not sure if the 64 bit theory is still going on, but shouldn't it be obvious in a video like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HvTwW055KE

30 FPS for a movie like experience?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

aleksendr posted:

Thats one way to do it but all the CGI in those shots cost money, not everyone is as good looking as RDJ that close and there is a limit of how many time you can have extreme close-up of someone before it get visually unsettling.

Sadly, the light in your face/neck is the current norm for the soft sci-fi look

Thankfully "The Martian" and "Interstellar" did not go down that road.

I remember when Gears Of War came out, I was wondering why the gritty combat motherfuckers were wearing light panels around their shoulders of their armor, because it seems like it would make their heads bullet magnets given all the emphasis.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

aleksendr posted:

Thats one way to do it but all the CGI in those shots cost money, not everyone is as good looking as RDJ that close and there is a limit of how many time you can have extreme close-up of someone before it get visually unsettling.

It also helps that there is exactly one character that it does that for as opposed to the entire cast.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

no_recall posted:

30 FPS for a movie like experience?

you're right, they'll drop it to 24 later

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

EightAce fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 8, 2016

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Hi. I didn't pay to post here. So I guess I'm qualified to call you a moron for paying $10 to get shat on.

I won't, though, because I honestly hope you get the video game you want in the end, you know, if all this was worth it.

You probably won't, but there's always the next one! Chin up.

EightAce posted:

The important part is where the Journo says they didn't show him any actual game , it was all in the cry editor or simply explained by a designer. The game is in very very early stages of development and the dev team have a hell of a task on their hands.

After nearly 4 years and nearly $100 mill, and this being the FPS bit!?! if this is not ringing any warning bells then these people deserve to lose their money

You don't understand ... The first year was a prototype, that they had to throw away because that's how prototypes work. The second year was 'ramping up'. The third year was 'gaining speed'. The fourth year they've really got on track, and now they'll be ready for an Alpha! Of course they'll need to throw it away and make a fresh Beta from the best bits, but the important thing is that Lessons Are Being Learned. For example, they very nearly know how the workings of a ship worth hundreds of dollars might almost work someday in the future maybe, and that's a hard fact.

But of course, why would you know this. You don't Understand Development.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Moogle posted:

Hi. I didn't pay to post here. So I guess I'm qualified to call you a moron for paying $10 to get shat on.

I won't, though, because I honestly hope you get the video game you want in the end, you know, if all this was worth it.

You probably won't, but there's always the next one! Chin up.

You don't understand ... The first year was a prototype, that they had to throw away because that's how prototypes work. The second year was 'ramping up'. The third year was 'gaining speed'. The fourth year they've really got on track, and now they'll be ready for an Alpha! Of course they'll need to throw it away and make a fresh Beta from the best bits, but the important thing is that Lessons Are Being Learned. For example, they very nearly know how the workings of a ship worth hundreds of dollars might almost work someday in the future maybe, and that's a hard fact.

Lol I get the irony, I am actually a game developer that's why to see something like this in PC gamer who actually went to the studio is very worrying. If the journo had written that he had seen hidden wonders and played the game and just wait and see whats due out this year that's one thing. BUT CIG had a golden opportunity to really pitch this and instead we have 'Very very early stages of development ' wtf?!

EightAce
May 10, 2015

EightAce posted:

Lol I get the irony, I am actually a game developer that's why to see something like this in PC gamer who actually went to the studio is very worrying. If the journo had written that he had seen hidden wonders and played the game and just wait and see whats due out this year that's one thing. BUT CIG had a golden opportunity to really pitch this and instead we have 'Very very early stages of development ' wtf?!

I mean even 'oxygen thieves' like that schizophrenic German Karl must be reading that and thinking ....poo poo.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Moogle posted:

Terry Pratchett, is that you? I thought you were dead

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

D_Smart posted:

...oh right. And they haven't spent any of it. Got it.

I see you didn't follow through with blocking me either, I'm shocked.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

EightAce posted:

I mean even 'oxygen thieves' like that schizophrenic German Karl must be reading that and thinking ....poo poo.

No, you see, it's because the game is so huuuuuuuge and immersive and its going to be longer than every other game combined and, at the very end, Luke Skywalker comes out and reads some of Sylvester Stallone's lines from Demolition Man to encourage you. And because its so awesome, it has to be viewed in the proper light. It's in the "very early" stages of its 8 year development cycle, which is clearly the standard for all Triple AAA productions :colbert:

PHOENIIIIIIIX!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Pd_k8P3Cw

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

ThePotatoMasher posted:

This thread is much different now than a few short weeks ago

Yeah, people are staring to realize SC may actually live up to its promise after all now that Alpha 2.0 is out and are now changing their tune to "oh it's ok I win either way I totally new the game will release and be good I'm just trolling".

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
It's been a doozy.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

no, no one is thinking it will live up to its promise. It is literally impossible for it to be everything it says it will be.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
You're delusional Gryphon

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Sankis posted:

no, no one is thinking it will live up to its promise. It is literally impossible for it to be everything it says it will be.

Um excuse me it can and will. My friends brothers uncle works there and he assures me it's going to be TOTALLY awesome and you'll all be eating your words when it comes out!

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

starkebn posted:

You're delusional Gryphon

Is that Karl? This thread is so confusing :(

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

No, you see, it's because the game is so huuuuuuuge and immersive and its going to be longer than every other game combined and, at the very end, Luke Skywalker comes out and reads some of Sylvester Stallone's lines from Demolition Man to encourage you. And because its so awesome, it has to be viewed in the proper light. It's in the "very early" stages of its 8 year development cycle, which is clearly the standard for all Triple AAA productions :colbert:

PHOENIIIIIIIX!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Pd_k8P3Cw

Still shocked that they had a real opportunity to prove everyone wrong with that article and instead it just confirms what everyone is saying. They didn't even appear to attempt a smoke and mirrors routine? I'm really starting to believe that CIG are that far removed from reality that they only see the Sperg swarm and cannot begin to assimilate how much damage they are doing to themselves. They do not have enough money for another three years, I doubt they have enough for another year tbh.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Godmode Enabled posted:

Elite Dangerous is a real non jpeg based Space Game and is $15 (67% off) right now.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/

:O

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Just to poo poo a bit more on Star Citizen, apparently Roberts or some other minion, stated that the final client would require a 100 gb download, making Star Citizen pretty much the largest download ever required for a videogame.

Compared to Elite, which needs 6795 MB according to Steam. Welp.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Gryphon0468 posted:

Yeah, people are staring to realize SC may actually live up to its promise after all now that Alpha 2.0 is out and are now changing their tune to "oh it's ok I win either way I totally new the game will release and be good I'm just trolling".

If you are reading my posts as dawning realization that the game may be good then you are reading them wrong.

illectro posted:

Space fighters basically didn't exist in any mainstream science-fiction until Star Wars, Star Wars of course was trying to be a World War II movie set in space. George Lucas famously spliced in gun camera footage from World War II so the FX artists would get an idea of what should be doing.

Is that... is that true? I'd never really thought about it. If so I have a lot more lost hours of my childhood to thank Lucas for. It's one of those creative vision things where nobody even realizes you did it, because afterwards it just seems like the way things always were.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Gryphon0468 posted:

:gary::laffo::laffo::laffo::yarg:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
What are you all bitching about, i mean SC is perfectly within acceptable parameters for creating a tripple AAA+ squared game,
just see how long everyone else has taken:

I mean, its absolutly 100% certain that these are actual development times, not time between releases in which said companies might have done something else...

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, looks like it. I will find another image repo to upload it to. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know as I have the source image

http://www.ultraimg.com/

I've been using this with no issues.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

I think I'm out $40 on SA in 11 years, you've got a Banu $250 & a caterpillar $225 plus 5 other ships, considering you get access to faster CIG support (not really faster anymore) and a special RSI forum where you can feel smug and poo poo post about people in RSI general at $1000, I think it's a safe bet to say you are in for at least $1000.

You can do the same smug thing here for $10.

I don't know why you care that people are laughing at Star Citizen here, it's not like anything said here is going to change anything. If you consider refunds and negative influence the details in this thread have on potential Citizens, it's maybe 1 million lost to CIG at the very worst.

If 1% less funding makes so much difference, the developers at CIG had an impossible task anyway.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I don't understand why the White Knights are busting a gut over this, they know that 'Goons Ruin Everything' but never learn apparently.

Octopode, DickWulf, Seraph and Karl: save your energy, you cannot defeat us because we are legion. We're either going to nitpick your dream game to death and burn your thousand dollar jpegs to the ground - or the game will be released and if it's anywhere near mediocre, a goon fleet will pick it up for $15 in a sale and burn your thousand dollar pixels to the ground instead. So far all your tears are free, maximum entertainment for minimum goon investment.

Also someone said there are no kids in Fallout 4 but I completed a quest called 'Kid in a Fridge' the other day so I beg to differ :chord:

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Ahh Yes posted:

I'd be totally excited for a Revelation Space (by Alastair Reynolds) style of combat at .99999c with the ships chasing each other and the one in front building poo poo for the ships behind to crash into and die horribly in a glorious explosion that would happen at that speed/energy.

Also special relativity could be confusing as gently caress in a video game so yeah lets put that in.

edit: I like my imaginary game better than Star Citizen already.

So do I. I'd love to see more space combat games that use more hard science instead of "Airplane Combat, But In Space Where There's No Ground".

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
In the meantime ive discovered that since the last time i fired up ED, you can now in fact install additional fuel tanks in internal module slots.
I also traded my dropship for an Assault Ship and went to do some actual space combat instead of staring at 500$ jpgs.

I strongly consider dropping 5 bucks for a palette of 6 paint jobs for my cobra, am i a bad person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

In the meantime ive discovered that since the last time i fired up ED, you can now in fact install additional fuel tanks in internal module slots.
I also traded my dropship for an Assault Ship and went to do some actual space combat instead of staring at 500$ jpgs.

I strongly consider dropping 5 bucks for a palette of 6 paint jobs for my cobra, am i a bad person?

Lol @ you paying modest sums to play an actual space video game instead of role playing a nonexistent one on Reddit. Fuckin goons

• Locked thread