Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

In Windows (I'm assuming) you should be able to make another device the default audio output with the Cintiq connected. This is a setting that should stick too.

This is done from the popup you get from right clicking the speaker icon in the system tray and selecting Playback devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

McGiggins posted:

I bought it second hand off of ebay, so I do not think there is any warranty I am eligible for. Ebay warranty is only 6 months I think anyway, and it has been longer than that.

I am capable of replacing the board in question (and my engineer friend most certainly could if I could not), however it is a source for the board that has stumped me.

I assume Dell has the parts on lockdown to prevent exactly this type of repair?

You can instantly check the warranty status one way or another to confirm.

Here's a page from Dell explaining the various warranty possibilities on their monitors. Yours is large and expensive enough to have its own Service Tag, so that often makes things easier.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 26, 2015

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Excellent advice, but it only came with a one year warranty which expired in March, according to the tool :(

Looking around the various other tools, there appears to be a way to activate a 3 year warranty (from date of original purchase) specifically for people like I who bought from an online retailer, but I need to be an American in order to use it (mandatory US state selection), and there is no .au equivalent. There is also no information on repairs, warranty or not, or anything like that.

I am going to have to call them tomorrow, but this seems to be one of those smash-with-a-hammer-til-you-feel-better afairs.

Thanks for you help though, it is appreciated.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

McGiggins posted:

Excellent advice, but it only came with a one year warranty which expired in March, according to the tool :(

Looking around the various other tools, there appears to be a way to activate a 3 year warranty (from date of original purchase) specifically for people like I who bought from an online retailer, but I need to be an American in order to use it (mandatory US state selection), and there is no .au equivalent. There is also no information on repairs, warranty or not, or anything like that.

I am going to have to call them tomorrow, but this seems to be one of those smash-with-a-hammer-til-you-feel-better afairs.

Thanks for you help though, it is appreciated.

If you're Australian then you are covered by the Australian Consumer Law, which is basically a government enforced refund/replacement warranty. If you get in touch with the place you bought it from they should be able to help you out. If they don't cooperate then you can get in touch with the consumer protection board for your state (Google it).

For a $1700 monitor you'd be covered by the ACL for a long, long time.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

snickles posted:

I'm going to be setting up a voip system for an office in the near future and need a little advice. We are going with vonage, and my understanding is that any voip phone is plug and play compatible.

The system we have now requires manually transferring calls from phone to phone. I want to be able to pick up a held call from any phone without requiring a transfer. Does this feature have a name? What am I looking for?

It sounds like you want call park, though it might be called other things in the various phone interfaces.

I had a kind of longer post written about various IP phones and their idiosyncrasies, basically make sure you're using a central provisioning model, be it FTP, TFTP, SFTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, etc.. You don't want to be pushing configurations to the web interface or punching passwords on the phone interface. Also, if you go with Polycom I would skip the Soundpoint 331, the only difference with the 335 is an RJ9 headset port versus 2.5mm TRS. Trust me, RJ9 is better in every way.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Any recommendations on a good PSU tester?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Any recommendations on a good PSU tester?
Any cheap PSU tester is going to tell you the same thing, whether there's voltages on the rails. That doesn't tell you whether it will provide clean enough power to run a computer, which would require multi-thousand dollar test hardware. If you have a suspect power supply the best thing to do is swap in a known-good power supply to see if symptoms go away.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

In a pinch you can use a multimeter alongside a paper clip to short the PS_ON pin.

Elliot2lazy
Jun 9, 2015

by Cowcaster
Alright so I have an 8 year old pc that doesn't have an optical port on the back for sound. I am guessing they were not around or very common then. I just bought a new 2015 astro a40 gaming headset. In the box it only gave me the optical gaming cord. The head set is suppose to have a cable from the headset to the sound mixer. Then there is a mini usb cable from that to a regular usb to the pc. Then there is also suppose to be and optical cord from the box to the pc. However, as said in the first sentence I cannot do that. The surround sound through the headset is great. However, I have never been able to successfully get the mic to work at all. I even with to astro site and downloaded the firmware for both the box and the headset and after ripping them and running them, they both say it is not connected. Then I went back to where i got it, i know best buy -_-, and got a male to male 3.5mm aux jack to try to get that to work. That has also failed even trying different ports. I tried the line in port, the line port, the headset (green) port, and the mic input (pink) port. Nothing works. After dangling with it for many hours, I am now to a more expert page, here. I have kept the receipts for everything, and if I have to take it back because this is ludicrous.

I am on windows 7, have all my drivers updated as far as i know, 4GB memory not including the memory i have on my graphics card 250GB solid state hard drive Intel quad core processor Q66000.

If anyone can help with constructive knowledge that would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Elliot2lazy posted:

I have kept the receipts for everything, and if I have to take it back because this is ludicrous.
Your two options are to return it and get a normal headset, or buy a soundcard. I'd definitely go for the first one given that you have an ancient computer.

Elliot2lazy
Jun 9, 2015

by Cowcaster
thanks man! If its a sound card thing, gently caress it I'm taking it back already too much hassle.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Is there a such thing as a KVM that will allow me to toggle a pair of computers between two monitors, but also allow me to choose to have one computer controller both displays?

I have a 27" and a 24" and I'd like to be able to flip flop the windows and linux system back and forth depending on whether or not I'm working or gaming, and sometimes while gaming I'd like to have the windows system have both monitors for "multitasking"(eve online).

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

The Third Man posted:

Is there a such thing as a KVM that will allow me to toggle a pair of computers between two monitors, but also allow me to choose to have one computer controller both displays?

I have a 27" and a 24" and I'd like to be able to flip flop the windows and linux system back and forth depending on whether or not I'm working or gaming, and sometimes while gaming I'd like to have the windows system have both monitors for "multitasking"(eve online).

Not exactly what you want, but Monoprice 105704 4 x 4 True Matrix HDMI Switch/Splitter with Remote Control

There may be something more applicable to your situation, but this is what I've used in the past.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Looks like it might have done what I want, but it's HDMI only and doesn't do 1440p :(

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm looking to get a capture card that needs a PCIe 8x slot and I have this motherboard, which I'm reasonably sure doesn't have any 8x slots. Is there an adapter for that?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm looking to get a capture card that needs a PCIe 8x slot and I have this motherboard, which I'm reasonably sure doesn't have any 8x slots. Is there an adapter for that?

You can plug x8 cards into x16 slots and you've got a second x16 slot, no adapter needed. The question is whether it actually needs the bandwidth from an x8 slot or not because your second x16 slot will only give x4 bandwidth.

I'm sure it'll be fine but post the card too.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Desuwa posted:

You can plug x8 cards into x16 slots and you've got a second x16 slot, no adapter needed. The question is whether it actually needs the bandwidth from an x8 slot or not because your second x16 slot will only give x4 bandwidth.

I'm sure it'll be fine but post the card too.

Oh, good to know! This is the card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100049

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Third Man posted:

Looks like it might have done what I want, but it's HDMI only and doesn't do 1440p :(

Does your monitor have dual inputs? Plug the extra computer into the secondary input and then switch inputs on the monitor.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

That is only pci-e 1x, not 8x like you thought.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SlayVus posted:

That is only pci-e 1x, not 8x like you thought.

Oh, whoops. The person who recommended it said otherwise. Would that also work in a 16x slot?

And more to the point, would my board be good for using the card with all this considered?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 29, 2015

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh, whoops. The person who recommended it said otherwise. Would that also work in a 16x slot?

And more to the point, would my board be good for using the card with all this considered?

Your board has 2 x PCIe 2.0 x1 slots, are you using them both?

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Alternative KVM question: if I leave the second output from my graphics card on the windows system connected to my secondary monitor and only toggle the primary 27" between the two systems, will Windows detect the first monitor as being disconnected when I switch the KVM and set the primary display as the 24" without intervention from me?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I asked this in the PC Build thread (as a follow-on question related to my custom build) but didn't get any answer so i'm moving it here:

I have an SSD I bought previously that I'm planning to use as my primary storage device in my new PC. Should I do something before I turn on the pc for the first time, like steps to wipe the SSD clean? I did a quick Google search and some people said that the magician software will take care of all that but I'd just like to confirm that I shouldn't be formatting it first. I did use it a while back as external storage on my old laptop.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I asked this in the PC Build thread (as a follow-on question related to my custom build) but didn't get any answer so i'm moving it here:

I have an SSD I bought previously that I'm planning to use as my primary storage device in my new PC. Should I do something before I turn on the pc for the first time, like steps to wipe the SSD clean? I did a quick Google search and some people said that the magician software will take care of all that but I'd just like to confirm that I shouldn't be formatting it first. I did use it a while back as external storage on my old laptop.

Not really necessary, unless you've got your nude pics SUPER IMPORTANT data that you don't want anyone to see, which is pretty much going to be gone on a reformat anyways. Just format and partition as normal when installing your OS.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Gothmog1065 posted:

Not really necessary, unless you've got your nude pics SUPER IMPORTANT data that you don't want anyone to see, which is pretty much going to be gone on a reformat anyways. Just format and partition as normal when installing your OS.

Yeah, I don't need any of the data already on it. My main concern is that I created a partition on it months ago and it might cause issues when installing a brand new system on top of it without deleting the partition first.

Gooch
Oct 30, 2006

Hi, I am really wanting to play "from the depths" and I need a new computer to do it. I am hoping to take advantage of "cybermonday" and purchase one today. I know gently caress all about comparing system specs. Like would this laptop run the game?http://www.walmart.com/ip/46270955?athcpid=46270955&athena=true&athpgid=athenaHomepage&athznid=ItemCarouselCurated_contentZone11
and if not is there any recommendations on where I can buy a new or refurbashed laptop or desk top that will run the game? I'm hoping to spend around 300 dollars(I'm getting the feeling its impossible).
Oh the game requirements are
MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo 2.0 GHz (or AMD equivalent)
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT / ATI Radeon HD 3870 / Intel HD Graphics 4000
Storage: 600 MB available space
Sound Card: DirectX® compatible on-board
or what about this laptop?
http://www.amazon.com/X551MA-Laptop...+gaming+laptops

VVVThanksVVV

Gooch fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 30, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I can't seem to find a good answer to this anywhere on the internet. Are there such thing as KM switches where you just need to swap keyboard and mouse between two computers, and don't care about video? I have a desktop PC and a Macbook, and I hate having to move my Macbook out of the way to use my PC's keyboard. I would prefer to elevate my Macbook on a stand, and use the same keyboard & mouse for both. Can you use any old KVM switch and just not utilize the video portion?

Edit: this post might as well be pointless because I guess there's some good software to do this for me already.

Yeah Synergy is perfect

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 30, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Gooch posted:

and if not is there any recommendations on where I can buy a new or refurbashed laptop or desk top that will run the game? I'm hoping to spend around 300 dollars(I'm getting the feeling its impossible).
Unfortunately this is pretty much the case, both of those "computers" are <$300 because they are using cellphone processors, so not really useful for much more than typing e-mails. A computer with a Core i3 5000-series ("Broadwell") or better (that's last generation, 6000-series ("Skylake") is new this holiday season) should work, and they are <$500. I'd really recommend a Core i5 6000-series or better though as that makes a big difference in how fast the system feels in normal usage. Here is an example of a basic Asus gaming laptop for $589, it has a Core i5 6200U CPU (2.3-2.8Ghz), a Geforce GT 940M graphics card, a 1080p display, and 8GB of RAM. This is merely an example of a starter gaming-capable laptop and I am not suggesting anyone buy this specific machine. Check out the Laptop megathread for more details and specific buying advice.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BANME.sh posted:

I can't seem to find a good answer to this anywhere on the internet. Are there such thing as KM switches where you just need to swap keyboard and mouse between two computers, and don't care about video? I have a desktop PC and a Macbook, and I hate having to move my Macbook out of the way to use my PC's keyboard. I would prefer to elevate my Macbook on a stand, and use the same keyboard & mouse for both. Can you use any old KVM switch and just not utilize the video portion?

Edit: this post might as well be pointless because I guess there's some good software to do this for me already.

Yeah Synergy is perfect

I realize you fixed this already, but for anyone else looking for a similar solution I used to work in an office with two computers on two separate secure networks, negating software input sharing. I ended up just using a Logitech keyboard and mouse tied to the same nano receiver run through a USB A/B switch, other than momentary lag immediately after switching between devices (similar to lag you'd encounter after plugging in a USB peripheral that was previously installed) it worked great, and the A/B switch cost less than $15 on amazon.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Yeah, I don't need any of the data already on it. My main concern is that I created a partition on it months ago and it might cause issues when installing a brand new system on top of it without deleting the partition first.

I can't think of an OS installer that doesn't have basic partitioning abilities before installing.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Okay, I haven't done any upgrades in a while and I'm a bit confused. I have two cheap Viewsonic 1080P monitors that I use in a dual display setup. They use DVI ports to connect to my GTX 460. I ordered a EVGA 960 4 GB FTW as an upgrade. It has one hdmi, one DVI-DL and three Display Port 1.2 inputs.

Can I simply order a pair of these cables:

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...play+port+cable

And be good to go? Will I get full resolution on both or do I need "active" cables or whatever the gently caress? Another cheaper option? I was hoping to get everything here on the same day but I just realized I had this issue a few minutes ago and my "Prime" window is closing quickly for that.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Oddhair posted:

It sounds like you want call park, though it might be called other things in the various phone interfaces.

I had a kind of longer post written about various IP phones and their idiosyncrasies, basically make sure you're using a central provisioning model, be it FTP, TFTP, SFTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, etc.. You don't want to be pushing configurations to the web interface or punching passwords on the phone interface. Also, if you go with Polycom I would skip the Soundpoint 331, the only difference with the 335 is an RJ9 headset port versus 2.5mm TRS. Trust me, RJ9 is better in every way.

I don't know exactly what you mean, but I will bring this up when I discuss it with my coworkers. I'm assuming that any given vendor will have their provisioning model set. I know polycom is an option and they seem well regarded. We currently use Cisco 303 phones which I have developed a strong dislike for.

I looked into call and it is an improvement over the current system, and supported by vonage, but I think what I really want is "shared line appearance" which vonage doesn't list on their website. Or that may not be what I want at all - like you noted, each vendor seems to call these features whatever they want.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

ChaoticSeven posted:

Okay, I haven't done any upgrades in a while and I'm a bit confused. I have two cheap Viewsonic 1080P monitors that I use in a dual display setup. They use DVI ports to connect to my GTX 460. I ordered a EVGA 960 4 GB FTW as an upgrade. It has one hdmi, one DVI-DL and three Display Port 1.2 inputs.

Can I simply order a pair of these cables:

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...play+port+cable

And be good to go? Will I get full resolution on both or do I need "active" cables or whatever the gently caress? Another cheaper option? I was hoping to get everything here on the same day but I just realized I had this issue a few minutes ago and my "Prime" window is closing quickly for that.

I called EVGA. If anyone else is as dumb as I in the future the answer is: You need "active" DisplayPort to DVI cables in this instance. What I ended up ordering was a DVI to HDMI cable and I'll just use the other supplied DVI. Should work.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The Third Man posted:

Alternative KVM question: if I leave the second output from my graphics card on the windows system connected to my secondary monitor and only toggle the primary 27" between the two systems, will Windows detect the first monitor as being disconnected when I switch the KVM and set the primary display as the 24" without intervention from me?
probably depends on the KVM but if mine is anything go by no. Mine makes it a point to maintain the connections to both machines so they don't drop hardware constantly.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

ChaoticSeven posted:

I called EVGA. If anyone else is as dumb as I in the future the answer is: You need "active" DisplayPort to DVI cables in this instance. What I ended up ordering was a DVI to HDMI cable and I'll just use the other supplied DVI. Should work.

You should only need active ports for the Display Port conversion, if you get a dumb DVI-HDMI cable from Monoprice and use the DVI port for the other monitor you should be fine. Dual Link is more capable than single link, but is only used above 1920x1200.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Hey there, I have a corsair K70 (RGB) that had a spill on it, its dried out overnight and I think it's working now (touch wood). However, some of the lights are discoloured (white becomes blue, red becomes orange etc. etc.) Is there any way I can fix this?

golem_ii
Dec 22, 2004

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes:

I just built a new PC. I have an Asus Z170 motherboard, an i5 6600k, 16gb DDR4 RAM, a 960gb SSD and a 4gb Gigabyte GTX 960.

I decided to run 3DMark on it and see how it did. On Fire Strike it got about 6300, but seeing the rankings for similar builds, the majority of them seem to be in the 7000-7100 range. Having not benchmarked a PC before I'm unsure how much stock i should place in the 700-800 point difference. Is it as much as it seems? Why could my set up be getting lower scores than the majority of similar builds? Does it indicate that something is awry?

On Skydiver it did about 18500 which seemed in the same sort of range as the other builds.

Couldn't find a thread about benchmarking so if there is one I would be grateful if someone could link it :)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

golem_ii posted:

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes:
Check other benchmarks, like do a CPU benchmark as well as other graphics benchmarks. It could be that you are comparing to a build with a pre-overclocked videocard, for example.

Hornet
Nov 13, 2007
Gamer
I'm looking to buy an enclosure for an SSD, but it needs to have additional power to work with what I'm doing with it.

I found this enclosure which appears to meet my needs:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ID3FCRC?refRID=F51PQ4B0P5DD6GH5SG6T&ref_=pd_ybh_a_17

The problem is, that the power cable it comes with is USB. I only have one USB port available and it's obviously going to be used by the enclosure.
Would I be able to use a regular 5v AC adapter instead of the USB cable it comes with? Or, would I be able to plug the USB cable into say, an old 5.1v phone charger power adapter?

Or, you know, if anyone knows of a better SSD enclosure that has its own power, that would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Hornet fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, just use a regular USB AC adaptor, like the kind you charge cell phones with.

The problem with enclosures is that the USB 2.0 standard limits power to 500ma, which isn't -quite- enough to run some hard drives, so most of them double up on USB plugs. That said, many times I've been able to run an external on one port, and SSD's take less power than HD's, so you might be able to just use the one plug.