Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SirPhoebos posted:

No way Chris-R is going to let a player miss out on any of his masterpiece, so he'll probably insert some sort of insane collectathon a-la the first Drakengard that players have to do in order to unlock the "true ending"

Only there's no way of course that Chris-R can compose the narrative payoff to make it worth it (no, not even in the 'The game loving trolled me! :psyboom:' sense that Drakengard achieved)
Chris will make his masterpiece the sequel to its own ending, with each subsequent playthrough cycle unlocking another minute of the 10 hours of cutscenes. The first run will have only 3 hours. There will be no gameplay - you'll just watch this thing on repeat, losing all progress if you quit. In the end you'll get the only achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I love that they add a year to the insurance every anniversary.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

neonbregna posted:

Edit is this shaved enough to sandys liking

That's not a catte it's a loving lion :gonk:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
The idea that they invited press to their offices and had nothing to show them for SQ42 is really funny to me

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Raticus79 posted:

So they did limit quantity on the Phoenix sale after all (5000). Can't CCU to it, so no way to get LTI on these ones. People have to buy the full ship and it comes with 3 year insurance.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15079-AnniVERSEary-Sale-Transporters

Haha $350 x 5000 = 1.75 million that should help. Will people fall for it though? Another limited number sale gimmick, with no upgrades packs like last time or ccu.

Yes, yes, buy them all or you'll have to buy this one.

(VAT at 20%, before you ask me about price)

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
With the 10 hours of dialogue, they've said it's lots of potential conversations you can have with crewmates etc. You can move around and/or leave the conversation at any point if you like.

Cutscenes would be too simple have you guys learned nothing.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Raticus79 posted:

So they did limit quantity on the Phoenix sale after all (5000). Can't CCU to it, so no way to get LTI on these ones. People have to buy the full ship and it comes with 3 year insurance.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15079-AnniVERSEary-Sale-Transporters

They must've been surprised by the whale backlash. You'd think CIG would know by now how attached people get to their jpegs

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
"To that point, the Constellation Phoenix has proven so popular that RSI produces only a select number every sales season, a tactic that has done well to preserve it’s high demand and resale value year after year. For 2945, Roberts Space Industries is proud to release another 5000 hulls, matching it’s generous rollout from the year before. This year however, in order to maintain a finite and limited stock, Cross-Chassis Upgrade to the Phoenix will not be enabled. This ship will remain on sale throughout the weekend, ending either when time runs out, or the limited stock is exhausted."

Very generous indeed!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

El Grillo posted:

With the 10 hours of dialogue, they've said it's lots of potential conversations you can have with crewmates etc. You can move around and/or leave the conversation at any point if you like.

Cutscenes would be too simple have you guys learned nothing.

ah yes the half life 2 style where the npcs are blabbling and you are jumping up and down on their heads

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

:goshawk::zpatriot::catdrugs::okpos::goatdrugs:

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Jethro_E7 posted:

"To that point, the Constellation Phoenix has proven so popular that RSI produces only a select number every sales season, a tactic that has done well to preserve it’s high demand and resale value year after year. For 2945, Roberts Space Industries is proud to release another 5000 hulls, matching it’s generous rollout from the year before. This year however, in order to maintain a finite and limited stock, Cross-Chassis Upgrade to the Phoenix will not be enabled. This ship will remain on sale throughout the weekend, ending either when time runs out, or the limited stock is exhausted."

Very generous indeed!

Wow so they upped their production to 5000 again. All the doubters can now sit down and be silenced! They are delivering product and in high quantities. I will invest in this company.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

:lesnick: hasn't posted in 12 days.

Nichole "Batgirl" D'Angelo's last daily AC 2.0 video was 5 days ago

3 million to go, 4 sale days left.

[Using the crowd funding spreadsheet and assuming I didn't do anything stupid.]

November 2015 total so far $2,868,781

5 days in November left. Assume 300k per day remaining, they'll likely do better but I do see possible early signs of internal morale failing, so very possible they don't have a nice video of the phoenix to show on Around the Verse and therefore gently caress this day's sale up.

November 2013 $7,880,937
November 2014 $6,123,928
November 2015 $4,400,000 (estimated)

A better result of 400k a day and giving an extra sale day would still see them below 5 million in November 2015, ~1 month after showing SQ42, social module &, AC 2.0. Funding is drying up and it's a long time on 1-2 million per month until they try to force something out the door in May 2016.

Yes. This is pretty much the picture I've been giving which is why I had given them 90 days and that if they survived 2016, I'd be shocked. Hence the reason there are rumors they are looking around for investors etc

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

fuctifino posted:

Derek, they took down the tinypic as well. lol

http://oi67.tinypic.com/2vb4gh1.jpg

Yeah. It's those stupid extremist White Knight assholes doing it. There is nothing with showing people how to get a refund. So I don't see how RSI/CIG would be dumb enough to waste time trying to suppress that.

http://www.ultraimg.com/images/sc-how-to-get-a-refund.jpg

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Stock

Production

Limited Stock is Exhausted

Look at these words they are using.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

Stock

Production

Limited Stock is Exhausted

Look at these words they are using.

Remember, you aren't buying ships, it's a donation for the development of the game.

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax
Greetings,

Angels brought me to this place. In honour of you beautiful goons I have prepared a short poem:

Chris, Chris with your poo poo game
You really have no loving shame
Fleecing nerds of all their cash
For pretty jpegs that can't crash (unlike 2.0)

Refunds citizens, its not too late!
Swallow your pride don't hesitate
All that cash will come in handy
Especially if you're feeling randy (?)

Was Vision 1.0 not enough?
Did Citizens really need more stuff?
You overreached you crazy fool
Judgement day is coming soon*

*kinda rhymes

bumbles fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 26, 2015

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

http://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus

I'm watching this guy play for a while. He's currently in a derelict zero-G space station, and having a FPS shootout with another player. It hasn't crashed for a while, and actually looks quite fun.

e: It crashed.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 26, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The wulge is growing.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

bumbles posted:

Greetings,

Angels brought me to this place. In honour of you beautiful goons I have prepared a short poem:

Chris, Chris with your poo poo game
You really have no loving shame
Fleecing nerds of all their cash
For pretty jpegs that can't crash (unlike 2.0)

Refunds citizens, its not too late!
Swallow your pride don't hesitate
All that cash will come in handy
Especially if you're feeling randy (?)

Was Vision 1.0 not enough?
Did Citizens really need more stuff?
You overreached you crazy fool
Judgement day is coming soon*

*kinda rhymes

Welcome to the forums! We don't have a loving word filter as long as you keep your poo poo logged in.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Guys thinks for letting me know she is planning something I think you are right

If I pass away I bequeath all my space jpegs to Eonwe for being a good poster

neonbregna fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 26, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Derek, I didn't know Wulf had actually physically assaulted you.

I too like to buy lunch for contractors working for a Space game I like. This will make not only them my friends and ensure they respond to my ramblings on twitter, but also show we've all in this together, pulling together and I feel privileged they'll let me pay with no serious argument or fuss.

He has a lot riding on that $20K. So yeah, he's probably still sniffing glue while pandering to people who probably don't even like him

The good thing is that when this all collapses - as I'm quite certain that it will - we'll have all these posts to go back and reflect on.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Berious posted:

DickWulf is that sad awkward child who kids would only talk to because he regularly handed out his lunch money at recess. Even with the stalking and unsolicited dickpics he's a pitiable guy. :smith:

Yeah, he uses his disability checks to buy people to like him. Sad puppy.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

alphabettitouretti posted:

Remember, you aren't buying ships, it's a donation for the development of the game.

don't forget to pay your VAT on that donation!

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Bootcha and I made Thanksgiving turkey cupcakes. They had candy eyes and paper feather tails and did NOT look as cute as they did on the package. The candy eyeballs in particular alarmed me.

me [noticing the conspicuous discrepancy in pupil sizes]: "What the hell's wrong with that one?!"

Bootcha: "That one . . . is not on the placebo."

Happy loving Thanksgiving.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:thumbsup:

Not a parody account.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/669941534800900096

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

fuzzknot posted:

Bootcha and I made Thanksgiving turkey cupcakes. They had candy eyes and paper feather tails and did NOT look as cute as they did on the package. The candy eyeballs in particular alarmed me.

me [noticing the conspicuous discrepancy in pupil sizes]: "What the hell's wrong with that one?!"

Bootcha: "That one . . . is not on the placebo."

Happy loving Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving crazy-eye cupcakes! We're doing chili because TEXAS and gently caress traditional food. (I'm totally jealous of people who have awesome turkey dinners, but Chili's our thing).

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Loiosh posted:

Happy Thanksgiving crazy-eye cupcakes! We're doing chili because TEXAS and gently caress traditional food. (I'm totally jealous of people who have awesome turkey dinners, but Chili's our thing).

Funny you should mention that; Bootcha is making chili today for his family to show off his newly-acquired cooking skills. So there will be turkey AND chili.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, he uses his disability checks to buy people to like him. Sad puppy.

Lol

Go gently caress yourself Dickwulf

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

I know dead tree press is mostly irrelevant now but it's disappointing that a title with a pedigree like PC Gamer didn't apply a little more actual journalism. Taking the time to visit a studio and not seeing the game in action is horseshit. Not questioning that in the article is worse. I've done studio visits and never once did I go without seeing something of the game in action, even if it was the devs controlling it. Plenty of devs will happily show off stuff even if it's really rough. I saw a Gothic or Risen title once when it was really early in development and that was just a single tiny area they'd mocked up for demos and they still let us get hands on with it.

They had nothing to show. Remember, they didn't show ANY gameplay of SQ42 at gamescom, CitizenCon or the anniversary livestream. All we've seen thus far are that walkthrough. That's it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Reading between the lines what I took away was that they'd agreed to do a cover story and it was too late to change it to something else. So yeah, it was a bit critical but nowhere near as much as it could and should have been.

Remember they once called it "Scam Citizen" and they were forced to retract it?

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

fuzzknot posted:

Funny you should mention that; Bootcha is making chili today for his family to show off his newly-acquired cooking skills. So there will be turkey AND chili.

Sainthood, confirmed!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

I too like to buy lunch for contractors working for a Space game I like. This will make not only them my friends and ensure they respond to my ramblings on twitter, but also show we've all in this together, pulling together and I feel privileged they'll let me pay with no serious argument or fuss.

Do you have a direct link to that Reddit post?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

This is something I've been thinking about for a little bit, and I would appreciate Derek throwing in his experience with it. 64 bit floats vs 64 bit integers should have the same precision, as they have the same number of bits, but floats take more processor cycles for the cpu to calculate. I've read all the Intel architecture and software design manuals front to back. It was a few years ago, so my memory is a little hazy, but the extended precision floats are actually 80 bit, then there are 128 bit operations with 8 registers available for integer operations. I do not have any where near enough experience to make any definitive statements on how these different capabilities would apply to a space sim game, but I would be interested in Derek giving any of his insight. Stuff like, could a huge universe be simulated with 128 bit integer operations as effectively as 64(80) bit float operations?

I have to run, but will tackle this later. In the meantime..

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/star-citizen-year-four/#post-1812

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

D_Smart posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3tzmi0/there_goes_our_patch_today/cxb1jgi

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Chicago Ex-Pat Texan Chili for Thanksgiving

Center Cut Bacon to taste (Squared)
1.25 lbs of Ground Chuck
1 Yellow Onion (Chopped)
1 Green Bell Pepper (Chopped)
2 Cloves of Garlic (Diced)
1 Can of Dark Red Kidney Beans
1 Can of Tomato Sauce
1 Can of Diced Tomato
1 Tablespoon of Tomato Paste
3 Teaspoons of Chili Powder
1/2 Teaspoon of Cayenne
Dash of Paparika
Dash of Cumin Ground
Dashes of Chulola Sauce
Dashes of Oregeno
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook Bacon
Add Chuck, Onion, Garlic to Bacon and Bacon Fat
Wait for Onions to turn translucent-ish
Add Bell Pepper, Tomatoes
Add Kidney Beans WITH bean juice from same can, do not strain
Add spices

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 26, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

D_Smart posted:

:munch:

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Loiosh posted:

Sainthood, confirmed!

You might want to withhold judgment on that till you see the rest of the (apparently irradiated) cupcakes.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

comatose posted:

Pssst, hey buddy, wanna buy some jpegs? We got all the good poo poo. High fidelity, limited stock, combo packs, you name it! Just $300 a pop.

"I know it's pretty baby, but I didn't take it out for air."

illectro posted:

Space fighters basically didn't exist in any mainstream science-fiction until Star Wars, Star Wars of course was trying to be a World War II movie set in space. George Lucas famously spliced in gun camera footage from World War II so the FX artists would get an idea of what should be doing.
We didn't see guided missiles in any of the original three movies it wasn't until the prequel's we started to see missiles, because of course guided air to air missiles didn't really get deployed until well after World War II

It continues to amaze me how Wing Commander was literally WW2 in space, CR flat out explained how the lore and gameplay for WC was inspired by it, the opening trailer features ships moving around and being chased like a WW2 dogfight, and yet the clueless fuckwits act shocked that anyone might have expected Star Citizen to have a similar feel of flight. Instead we get... well whatever the gently caress flight in AC is supposed to be. Space FPS or something, I don't know.

AP posted:

I'm sure The Wulge is full of intelligent, reasoned suggestions that would be incredibly well regarded if he were to post them on an open forum.

AP posted:

Disco Lando made a nice goodbye post but I suspect he's coming back.

"Developer"

I suppose creating more problems than he solves, utterly and completely failing to do anything about the pervasive toxicity within the community, and being an outright shill for Space JPEGs is different from what most community managers do. Well, community managers who don't work for PGI I guess.

• Locked thread