Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

Given that Stellaris is a space game, I think it's only logical that the game use a calendar based upon astronomy. Perhaps it could use some dating system based upon the movements of the moon, some sort of lunar calendar.

Actually once you are in space you have a very good incentive not to have a calendar that relates to any specific object.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

why cant you guys ever sperg out about cool things

why

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The number of days in each space month and how long the year is and how it's divided for my randomly generated planet and parent star is vitially important for me and the human condition. All other flaws in thia game will be secondary.

In all seriousness though. I'm assuming that each planet rotates on the overworld map but do they also orbit in real time (like in Distant Worlds for example)? Apart from just being a nice detail it could and also be important for when your heavily fortified garrison planet orbits away from your system's stargate or rare resource mine, leaving it more exposed.

I know we've seen a dev diary about systems but I can't easily look it up on a phone.

Planets don't move in their orbits around stars, it would be cool, but having your planets in consistent places was felt to be more important.

Baronjutter posted:

Remember in moo2 how could you start pre-warp, warp, or advanced? I always loved starting pre-warp and having a cool amount of time to build up my home world and maybe even colonize a couple planets locally before I even knew FTL technology. In many cases I'd purpsefully hold off researching FTL technology almost "role playing" that my race thinks it has more than enough room to expand at home and doesn't need it yet. Sometimes I'd make first contact with another civilization during this time, and my people would freak out and get researching space stuff.

I know everything about this game is about perfectly symetrical multiplayer-balanced starts, but I'd wish so bad for some sort of "randomize empire advancement" option at the start of the game and then maybe a slider or something for how big of a gap there could be.

So one empire might start out with a big developed homeworld, 2 scouts and a colony ship like normal. Another empire might have a few more levels of tech and a couple small colonies, while another might be basically where humans are today. Pre-warp, just barely getting a local space program.

I see the appeal of symmetrical starts, specially if you're playing some sort of competitive multiplayer, but I'd love a galaxy that feels more like I'm just newest but certainly not the last to join this interstellar club that's been going in for the last few centuries.

Or even just have a global "primitive start" with no empires at all, just a galaxy seeded with minor races ranging from stone age to information age and as the turns go by they all have a chance to develop to the next phase and hopefully become a FTL empire. Who ever gets FTL first in their area will have a massive advantage. Will they ignore all the less developed races but protect them from others? Enslave them? Uplift them and bring them into their multi-cultural federation? Eventually all the empires that managed to break out of minor status and become a real empire will meet up, after gobbling up all the lessers.

I'd love to play some humans that see this going on in the distant galaxy, and have to do what ever it takes to be ready for them. By appeasing them, but working together with others to destabilize them. How good would it feel if the plucky little Earth Alliance and a couple other bottom-tier space powers managed to pull the great Googian Empire into an exhausting war that ends up embarassing its dictatorship to the point that a civil war begins, breaking the empire up into little parts that no longer threaten the galaxy.

Or maybe poor earth doesn't stand a chance and is forced into joining some massive ancient empire. Now it's like we're playing a vassal or colonial nation, waiting for our chance to declare independence war , making secret alliances with fellow protectorates and outside powers. One day earth will be free! And when we are we'll have all the technology of our former masters.

We don't have different starting levels, but I agree they're cool and would like to see them added.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Agean90 posted:

why

I hate when people talk about things I don't care about.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Distant Worlds did that with the older galaxies. It would generate small or large empires and generally the AI of a massive 1/8th of the galaxy size empire wouldn't find you at all interesting and leave you alone if you were a minor power. If you could get in on trade early on you could even make friends. That is unless the empire was the spider dudes. gently caress those guys.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Demiurge4 posted:

Distant Worlds did that with the older galaxies. It would generate small or large empires and generally the AI of a massive 1/8th of the galaxy size empire wouldn't find you at all interesting and leave you alone if you were a minor power. If you could get in on trade early on you could even make friends. That is unless the empire was the spider dudes. gently caress those guys.

Distant Worlds is so drat good.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I hate when people talk about things I don't care about.

me too bro. me too

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Darkrenown posted:

Planets don't move in their orbits around stars, it would be cool, but having your planets in consistent places was felt to be more important.

We don't have different starting levels, but I agree they're cool and would like to see them added.

Ah, that's too bad but I can see the reasoning behind wanting to leave things in the last place people knew they were instead of hunting for them again.

Hopefully the different tech levels at start is a thing looked at in the future though. It honestly didn't seem to make a difference in MOO2 since it was the very first tech you could research but the "age of shadow" start in DW's expansion was a nice touch and I pretty much start every game with it enabled.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So, a unit of Planck time is independent of relative position or motion of the observer. So, if we wanted to increment in something close to 1 day of Earth time, you could have each tick be 1.6 Quindecillion Planck Units. As for length, Planck length could also be used, with 1 meter being about 62 decillion Planck lengths. Obviously these large number annotations are cumbersome, but we could just rename them into something like "Jumbo Plancks". Or, because it is unlikely that any Orion-4 nationalists will be playing this game, they could use the time system that most human beings are familiar with.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Or, just spitballing here, we could use a thing called an arbitrary unit of measurement. AU for short.

Wait. That sounds familiar.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Decimal supremacy: Distance measurement in exameters, zettameters and yottameters.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
But what is a meter, really? And what, for that matter, is distance or time in a curved spacetime?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agean90 posted:

why

i wonder how long it will take between HoI4 is released and steam workshop releases an anime portrait mod

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mans posted:

i wonder how long it will take between HoI4 is released and steam workshop releases an anime portrait mod

Day 1 DLC

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Paradox hasn't really considered what 'is* is. There's never really a solid ontological thesis behind their games.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
lol if you don't think there's going to be a dozen Legend of the Galactic Heroes custom portrait packs on day 1

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

Day 1 DLC

Surely someone at PDS has an internal games-only mod that inserts team members into the game as unit leaders. How many stars is DDRJake and what rank does he have?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wiz posted:

Day 1 DLC

Preorder cancelled.

The Sharmat posted:

lol if you don't think there's going to be a dozen Legend of the Galactic Heroes custom portrait packs on day 1

Preorder un-cancelled.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sage Grimm posted:

But what is a meter, really? And what, for that matter, is distance or time in a curved spacetime?

A meter is the distant traveled by light in a vacuum over an arbitrary time period. The time period is how long it takes a caesium atom to vibrate an arbitrary number of times.

All units of measurement are ultimately arbitrary. The point is to have them be independently reproduceable.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

VostokProgram posted:

The Sharmat posted:

Preorder un-cancelled.

Where can I pre-order this DLC?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Sharmat posted:

Pdox forums: "What is that?"

Pdox: "That's an African person."

Pdox forums: "I know that. Why is he in this game?"

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If brandy isn't a strategic resource I will un-un-cancel my preorder.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is distant worlds worth buying on the steam sale? I saw that it was some dollars off the other day, and I love me some empire building games, but I am scared by all things Matrix gaming related...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is distant worlds worth buying on the steam sale? I saw that it was some dollars off the other day, and I love me some empire building games, but I am scared by all things Matrix gaming related...

It's fantastic, buy it.

Edit: maybe watch some Youtube videos of it first though, or read up on one of Grey Hunter's two LP's of it.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Mans posted:

We've already had a bug report that was titled "Hitler is Kawaii", someone didn't like Mrop's DLC testing.
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/659084285400514560

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Darkrenown posted:

Will it be possible to become vassalized/puppeted or some sort of "subject nation" in Stellaris? I'd love to see a mechanic where it's far "cheaper" to just turn a rival (or chunks of them) into a subject nation and not have to deal with a huge expensive occpuation, revolts, and the slow messy affair cultural assimilation. But by keeping another nation as a subject you run of the risk of them rebelling later.

Or maybe you did directly annex a whole other race but you've realized you've bitten off more than you can chew and have another war you didn't plan on, so you "free" them as a subject nation, which takes a lot of the rebellion pressure off but now they're a subject and might end up wanting more freedom.

I'd just love to see a whole spectrum of control when it comes to our empires, from totally "cored" systems under our total control, to semi-autonomous regions under a (hopefully loyal) governor, to "protectorates" or "sphered" nations that are almost independent nations but pay some sort of tax or tribute and defer their foreign policy to us. And I'd equally love as a player to get stuck sometimes on the receiving end of such an arrangement.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I think that's a large part of what is missing from traditional space 4xs, space is just so huge (or hopefully is anyway) and when every empire is perfectly centralised apart from some generic unrest % here and there it just feels so flat. Empires have tended to fall part on our tiny little earth, the idea that a colony thousands of light years away is happy to have no autonomy indefinitely is absurd, never mind a conquered enemy.

Fortunately if any studio is fit to tackle this, its pdox. I have high hopes.]

I mean maybe not every species should be inclined to fracture, but certainly humans and any kind of ambitious/aggressive race should have problems with keeping distant colonies in line. Maybe a race of super stupid pacifist might not have so many issues, but that would be balanced by them being severely handicapped in many other regards.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 26, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Distant Worlds is top notch, definitely try it out. You do have to watch some YouTube LPs though, because there is a lot going on. But if you can figure out a game like EU4, you can figure out Distant Worlds.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 27, 2015

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Dammit. Waiting for this game was already going to be impossible.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

PittTheElder posted:

Distant Worlds is top notch, definitely try it out. You do have to watch some YouTube LPs though, because there is a lot going on. But if you can figure out a game like EU4, you can figure out Distant Worlds.

Are there any good Youtube LPs you'd recommend? I saw Quill play it on a stream ages ago, but he wasn't all that experienced at the game. Right now I'm checking out the LP Archive one by Grey Hunter mentioned above, but it's an SSLP which abstracts some of the things that happen for brevity.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm also interested, but I wanna know what I'm getting into because of the Matrix pricing. I realize it's a small miracle to see it at 50% off, but it's still pretty pricy at that discount.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
This guy plays a lot of DW for one:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu2elZa2o4sNFv5Xqa7t2IQ
DW is probably the best current 4x IF you can figure out/put up with the UI.

Need to wait for a Diplomacy DD to talk about details, but I don't think it'll disappoint.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
My issue with DW was never the UI. The UI is terrible, but it actually feels like the fact that the game *looks* so complex hides some really shallow mechanics (colonize everything in sight, no economic challenge or interesting resources, boring tech, shallow diplomacy). The AI is also atrocious and made me swear off allies in that game because they would pester me about map trading every 1.2 lightseconds. I feel like people only really like it because every other 4x is even more shallow.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 27, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Wiz commits genocide to avoid AI spam. True story.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Darkrenown posted:

Literally what happened my first Distant Worlds game, I wiped out every former AI ally of mine because they would not shut the gently caress up about map trading.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Darkrenown posted:

Genocide is Paradox number 1 solution to most problems.
For instance performance problems in Ck2? Ramp up the plagues.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Groogy posted:

Hmm... so that's why my secretary died when she opened that letter from Paradox "to our fans"...

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Groogy posted:

They took it too far with the Greek eunuch thing though

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Wiz posted:

My issue with DW was never the UI. The UI is terrible, but it actually feels like the fact that the game *looks* so complex hides some really shallow mechanics (colonize everything in sight, no economic challenge or interesting resources, boring tech, shallow diplomacy). The AI is also atrocious and made me swear off allies in that game because they would pester me about map trading every 1.2 lightseconds. I feel like people only really like it because every other 4x is even more shallow.

I have similar opinions about DW- all the stuff under the hood doesn't come out to much. There are a zillion resources but an hour into the game you can get anything you need so there's really no point in having a zillion resources. I like Star Ruler 2- but that game has ship design and I don't care for that aspect of space 4x games. I'm reallly sick of designing ships and the terrible things that come with that decision(Hi GalCiv3).

Pharnakes posted:

I think that's a large part of what is missing from traditional space 4xs, space is just so huge (or hopefully is anyway) and when every empire is perfectly centralised apart from some generic unrest % here and there it just feels so flat. Empires have tended to fall part on our tiny little earth, the idea that a colony thousands of light years away is happy to have no autonomy indefinitely is absurd, never mind a conquered enemy.

A lot of 4xs try to do this, but automated management is a really dumb and unsatisfying way to handle things. See: MoO3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Panzeh posted:

I have similar opinions about DW- all the stuff under the hood doesn't come out to much. There are a zillion resources but an hour into the game you can get anything you need so there's really no point in having a zillion resources. I like Star Ruler 2- but that game has ship design and I don't care for that aspect of space 4x games. I'm reallly sick of designing ships and the terrible things that come with that decision(Hi GalCiv3).

I'm garbage at Star Ruler, but a lot of people in the thread for it suggested that after getting new military tech they mostly just hit "random" to generate a random design until they get something reasonable looking. Apparently it's not that noticeably worse than spending however long designing your own thing.