Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

For some reason, I get the idea that AdzAdama is a serial killer in waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Agrajag posted:

seraph is singlehandedly putting Lowtax's daughters through college

Phrasing. Holy poo poo.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
i'm sorry citizen, but the margins on the flight manual you posted were far in excess of regulations

it is with a heavy heart that i must terminate your employment with nomadic endeavours, llc

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

doctor iono posted:

paaaaarp

The typeface for the corporate identity was carefully selected to represent simplicity in todays society which relies so heavily on technology.
Be who go where you want.

e: Galatic Grey

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ghostlight posted:

Karl is a German auditor Star Citizen fanatic who was posting in the thread in defense of Star Citizen.

Beyond that it is easier to tell you who Karl is not. He is not the German auditor Star Citizen fanatic on the official Star Citizen forums that happens to share a name with the twitter account Karl posted here as his own - this is verifiable because that poster has spent thousands of dollars on Star Citizen while Karl's ships were all gifted to him by his brother. He is not the German auditor Star Citizen fanatic on reddit that posts extensively about how unfairly Karl was treated by SA, because that is a woman. He is also not her father who happens to be a German auditor, just in case you were thinking that might be the case. In fact, every redditor who is German and an auditor and interested in Star Citizen is definitely not Karl, nor the obvious sock puppet accounts that jump to the defense of any German auditor Star Citizenite posting in r/DerekSmart.

All we really know for sure about Karl is he can go gently caress himself.

:bravo:

I'm so full right now, I damned near peed my pants reading that.

Seriously though, what happened to Karl? Did we really run him off?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

He couldn't handle differing opinions so he went of to :gary: with the rest of the anti-Derek cult club.

Oh, sorry, they just follow you "for the lulz" and "entertainment value" and totally not stalking your every move

Nope... not a cult of stalkers at all

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Ghostlight posted:

Be who go where you want.

e: Galatic Grey

"both you guys need to get on my level or i swear to god this corp's never getting off the ground"

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

ErIog posted:

Remember everybody, it's not a cult. You just send your seed offering to the charismatic man, and you get back.. salvation and more wealth than you ever could have dreamed of eventually. When I tell my friends about this concept they perceive red flags like paying money while receiving very little in return except ever-expanding promises. I just don't get it! How could this possibly be a cult, you guys in this insular online community where we talk understand what I'm saying right!

Our father Crobizzle, who are in nerd heaven,
praise be your mighty Ego, shining beacon of bloated Hollywood dreams.

For without it, there would be a lot less talented developpers seeing the millions spewed from the whales blowholes and saying :

Me too i can do a sandbox space game ! (Elite: Dangerous)
With better squad gunplay ! (Angels Fall First)
And Better music too ! (Rebel Galaxy)

Better customisation and ship building ! (Space Engineer)
Deeper exploration ! (No man Sky, even if the jury is still out on this at least they are showing some gameplay)
Or simple arcade, 20 minutes fun ! (Star Sector, Void Expanse)

May you bring many more $$$ to the space genre.

Not a cult.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Bedshaped posted:

Is Karl the matilda guy who keeps posting on that subreddit?
Nope ;)

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

these have a real bitcoiner feel to them but bitcoiners don't have any real money

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

D_Smart posted:

After the final video in when Bootcha received his investment back from CIG, he doxxed himself in the video as a gently caress you to Karl, by providing his name, the role he had in SC, and even videos and photos of himself with Ben. Karl, who was trying to play the internet detective with all the hints Bootcha dropped and trying to get him to break his NDA, when he saw that, he took his ball and went back to Reddit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Please only quote authentic Karls in this thread.

Karl_Ramseier posted:

SC is a triple AAA production and you just repeated and confirmed what he said, dumbass.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Young Freud posted:

After the final video in when Bootcha received his investment back from CIG, he doxxed himself in the video as a gently caress you to Karl, by providing his name, the role he had in SC, and even videos and photos of himself with Ben. Karl, who was trying to play the internet detective with all the hints Bootcha dropped and trying to get him to break his NDA, when he saw that, he took his ball and went back to Reddit.

Link to said video please.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DreadLlama posted:

Link to said video please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4-oHfJNrr0

Check the name on the cockpit as well as the videos that pop-up in the montage.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

quote:

"I'd rather have delays than rushed poo poo."
The much delayed Baby PU 2.0 is rushed poo poo; expect to get a lot more just like it in the future. The distant future.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

doctor iono posted:

"both you guys need to get on my level or i swear to god this corp's never getting off the ground"

I know its sad and not totally healthy obsessing over Jpegs but i cant stop myself from thinking : "If everyone put half the work he put in those into AI, cancer research or space exploration we would already be immortal as a species"

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Young Freud posted:

I still crie evry tiem.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The game has gone from crowdfunding to crowdsourcing. Soon enough, the fans will jist make the game without CiG, but it'll be a giant clusterfuck that will splinter off into many groups with many failures

Imagine four JPEGs on the edge of a cliff. Say a rework of the JPEG nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of JPEGs and takes the place of the first JPEG. The formerly first JPEG becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth has its assets cannibalized to make new JPEGs. Star Citizen ship release scheduling works the same way.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

fuctifino posted:

I wonder how much they paid for the priv?

G0RF fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 2, 2016

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

G0RF posted:

I dunno but she wore that top, so she's clearly still making fans dream

lowered expectations, the star citizen story

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

The tone of these posts is rather different:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/299502/chris-please-take-this-wonderful-experiment-to-gaming-nirvana

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/299497/this-sale-is-a-complete-disaster-imo

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

McGiggins posted:

What exactly did Karl do, in regards to friend Bootcha, dox or something?

I read through the thread, but eventually the eyes glaze over from despair and comedy, so I am afraid I missed it .
Bootcha has given points to his identity for several threads- including photos of himself during the big launch party. Karl didn't dox him-- inasmuch as his identity was known-- but he used what was already known to start making threats and trying to stir up sperg dissent-- despite the fact that Bootcha's support for CIG has last longer and been more generous to the CIG team than nearly every fan.

As the non-black Concierge Black card demands, "(Be) Faithful Until Death". That is the vow- and since Bootcha broke it, he joined Beer in Traitorsville.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Young Freud posted:

This video is art and will probably be dissected by future generations when this whole thing is looked at by economist or video game history students.

However, one thing has been bothering me : What does the Chili Dogs lined up on the carrier flight deck represent ?

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 27, 2015

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

pun pundit posted:

Imagine four JPEGs on the edge of a cliff. Say a rework of the JPEG nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of JPEGs and takes the place of the first JPEG. The formerly first JPEG becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth has its assets cannibalized to make new JPEGs. Star Citizen ship release scheduling works the same way.

Johnny 5 Jpegs

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

G0RF posted:

Bootcha has given points to his identity for several threads- including photos of himself during the big launch party. Karl didn't dox him-- inasmuch as his identity was known-- but he used what was already known to start making threats and trying to stir up sperg dissent-- despite the fact that Bootcha's support for CIG has last longer and been more generous to the CIG team than nearly every fan.

As the non-black Concierge Black card demands, "(Be) Faithful Until Death". That is the vow- and since Bootcha broke it, he joined Beer in Traitorsville.

I even went back into the post history of this thread after rewatching the video to look into Bootcha's hints, and they were pretty blatant.

Bootcha posted:

Amun Khonsu posted:

Seems Karl has been a busy bee.

Hahahahaha.

Hey Karl. Let me vette.

I got a WC FMV helmet prop. A gift from Lesnick for making sure he was comfortable and welcome in Austin. poo poo I still have his wife's desert plants she game me too.
I asked CR about his movie industry credentials at the GDC reveal. Somehow, that seems pertinent.
I was there all day and night at the 24 hour "end-of-funding" (hahaha) livestream. I provided the champagne, CR's milk for his espresso, and several other food runs to keep everyone going.
I'm in the picture of "The Pledge". You remember this thing?

I did the stage management at the first CitCon in Austin alongside Viewmaster.
I was on Wingman's Hangar. And I did a lot of production assistance whenever they needed it.
Dr. Hawk interviewed me long long long ago, ID'ed as one of THE INVESTORS. It was no big deal back then.
I AM THE ONE WHO LAMPS.

I was, and still am to a certain extent, one of the spergiest Wing Commander spergs. I kinda consider myself Patient Zero to this whole Star Citizen thing.

And yet I feel something is wrong. Something wrong enough to warrant action.

The reason why Karl hasn't come back to the thread is because doing would be admitting that he was wrong.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 27, 2015

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

A Psychologists Perspective on PvP and Why CIG Needs to Reevaluate posted:

TL;DR –
When removed from face-to-face interaction, it is a psychological fact that greater aggression and less consideration ensues. When anonymity is also promoted within the same environment, you can expect a system primarily devoted to human-on-human involuntary conflict.

Background
I am a behavior analyst for the US federal government with a Master’s Degree in Psychology. Like many of you, I am excited about this project (Star Citizen) and I have backed it on the premise it will live up to the designer’s intent. Over time I have had concerns about specific facets of the game, but thankfully they have each been addressed in a positive manner. At this point, the only remaining concern is involuntary, game-wide PvP. This has been discussed before, but not within the real-life context of player psychology and the effect it has on the game environment. Several recent changes to the game as well as community discussions have prompted me to share some applicable research and conclusions that may affect the community attitude on the subject.

Anonymous Aggression Tendencies

Problem:
As we all know, the internet is an anonymous environment for the purposes of face-to-face interaction. Even if you know the identity and location of the other party, you are physically disconnected by distance. Within a game, players are always hidden behind an alias. As a result, we all operate under the subconscious (often conscious) knowledge that we can do whatever we want and the consequences are nill. CIG has attempted to reduce these fears by diluting player-to-NPC ratios and instituting some measure of perma-death (at a point) as a consequence to unhindered aggression. The recent revelation that they may include the ability for players to hide their alias identity only fuels anonymity, which is the basis for thoughtless aggression.

As most of us have experienced, involuntary PvP results in full PvP. Look no further than EVE Online. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of additional examples in the gaming industry. When you allow players to prey on each other, they will no matter what loss they may experience. There will always be large numbers of people who derive pleasure from destroying others or hindering their progress and will suicide themselves to do it, if necessary.

Analysis:
None of the measures CIG has currently stated will effectively hinder game-wide PvP. If aggressive players lose their character after 6-7 “deaths”, player economy will shift away from any real tie to that that characters longevity. In other words, aggressive players won’t care and will simply develop a pipeline to replace their characters with new ones and continue. As long as they can start over, even if from scratch, they will continue to do so. Lack of any skill progression makes this scenario even more likely.

Diluting player-to-NPC ratios is a step in the right direction as it makes it less likely a player will come across another player. However, players will likely follow similar routes and missions as NPCs and aggressive players need only camp areas or routes and wait for a human player. A friend of mine in the gaming community was recently describing his intent to pirate other human players, and when I suggested he stick to NPCs, he scoffed. “That’s no fun,” he said, adding that fighting a human player added an element of satisfaction that he was affecting a real person, not some binary-code AI. This perfectly illustrates the problem. Some will hunt humans just because they exist, and it does not take many to ruin the gameplay for a lot.

A stealth gameplay mechanic is one thing, but allowing players the ability to hide their personal identification (I assume their in-game alias) will only lead to a massive increase in involuntary PvP that will also increase overall player frustration with the game. For example, if a player is killed by another player involuntarily, they should be able to at least identify who it was (and their organization). Perhaps they could retaliate, issue a bounty, enter into diplomacy with the organization, etc. But if that person was a total unknown…no possible recourse can be had. That type of freedom for the aggressor and loss of justice for the victim will destroy the in-game environment. The responses to a recent Reddit post illustrate this as well. All seemed to be generally happy with this option and willing to use it for exactly the purpose I expected.

Lastly, I will cite the Milgram Experiment as a classic (even pre-internet) example of how far people will go when they are disconnected from the personhood of their victims. History is replete with examples, and the internet is only the latest.

Possible Solutions:
Allow me to caveat by saying I do not support disabling all PvP game-wide. It makes perfect sense there would be areas of space where there could not possibly be full security assurances (frontier systems, for example). And I am aware some people greatly enjoy this type of gameplay. I am looking at solutions that incorporate as many intentions as possible.

First, CIG needs to create the game world (the 100+ systems said to be in the universe) in such a way that economy, business, production, and other non-combat related careers can fully function without the need to hit involuntary PvP. This means safe routes and systems would need to comprise enough of the universe as to not “force” those players to have to enter lawless systems in order to conduct their business. This is what EVE gets very wrong. To really get anywhere in business or non-combat roles (mining, for example) you must enter lawless systems. Star Citizen does not have to move every single such opportunity to a full security system, but a majority should be.

Second, DO NOT ALLOW players to hide their in-game identity, and if possible their organization affiliation. At least allow victims to pursue some level of justice as I mentioned previously. I personally believe this will add a better PvP system as bounty hunting will take on a larger role, organization relations will fluctuate, and so on.

Third, understand that there is no difference between security settings in systems beyond “yes” and “no”. Partial security means no security. We already know there will be varying degrees of security in the Star Citizen systems, but this misses the point. Anything less than 100% (a “yes”, is secure) will be exploited by aggressors. Knowing this, CIG needs to provide a simple majority of the universe as fully secure systems whereby aggressors are not able to even suicide attack other players. Coding in NPC security forces that arrive instantaneously or a coded signal from authorities that disables ship weapons upon entering the system. These are just concepts to illustrate the issue.

Conclusion
Space combat can be fun for all, but when given their proverbial inch, human players will take a light year in their pursuit of other players that they know don’t want to be pursued. Given the semi-permadeath mechanic apparently being built into the game, these aggressors will value their own characters’ lives less and derive greater twisted satisfaction out of knowing that trader they just killed was far more attached to their character than they were. I strongly suggest CIG design gameplay in such a manner as to place more restrictions on involuntary PvP than would be immediately expected, and then roll them back if necessary in the future.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

RuckusRouser posted:

Even Seraph?

lol if you think seraph gets invited to thanksgiving. :pedo:

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Lastly, I will cite the Milgram Experiment as a classic (even pre-internet) example

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

"please no violence my ship thx"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MeLKoR posted:

lol if you think seraph gets invited to thanksgiving. :pedo:

his family is thankful that his cousin isn't getting raped by seraph this year

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
reading r/dereksmart is about as bad as reading r/kotakuinaction or r/redpill

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Check that out

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip
Re: Karl

(For those who are new here, I'm Bootcha's girlfriend; that may lend some perspective to the following.)

Karl is . . . for lack of a better term, an rear end in a top hat who decided Bootcha wasn't really an investor simply because Bootcha posts on Something Awful.

Karl grew increasingly obsessed with Bootcha, specifically with trying to prove he was lying about who he was. Bootcha ignored him because 1.) Karl would never believe him anyway because a.) that's what cultists do and b.) that's what idiots do, and 2.) who the gently caress cares.

Karl posted Bootcha's real name on Reddit and tracked him down on Facebook and demanded he post on Facebook proof of who he was. It's harassment.

Bootcha is a much nicer person than I am. He might look the other way; I won't. Hence my advice to Karl to gently caress right the hell off.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yes, you see

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

That would make a sweet avatar.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Fick dich Karl

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

for anyone in question of development of star citizen, read and consider posted:

there is still a lot of hate that goes toward star citizen, despite all there efforts showing off there latest work. the cast of Squadron 42 and a sneak peak on the marrow tour of the campaign.

i just do not understand why people persist on attacking the game.... whats there to gain from it? they wanna take it away from us?

i just wanna send a message for any of those Haters that still browse here, and to also remind the pledgers who maybe loosing faith in the project.

from what i see on star citizen. there doing amazing work... 3 years is NOT a long time especially for a game of this scope. this game is pretty much bigger then most games out there. if not the biggest. and i heard that its also one of the largest development team working on 1 game, and the Rate of there progress is impressive given the fact that 2.0 is just around the corner as its currently in PTU.
Originally, this game wasn't meant to take so long to make, but alll this funding has allowed CIG to take so many more steps further then what they planned. but there is no feature creep, there not adding anymore features anymore now, they are making good on all there promises.

and whats the problem with the money they making? i doubt there running out of it... dont forget, all the funding they make here, as a private company, its all theres. its not going back to investors, its not going toward publishers, this money is all for development.... and they have far far more then they need to complete this game. don't forget. I imagine the left over of the money is to be used toward supporting the games upkeep and to continue work on expanding the universe and its content. there are more campaigns. more systems, more ships. its going to be a ongoing project.

guys just give the game a chance. i know its hard considering how long this game is taking. Its hard for me. But i want this game to happen. more then any other game. this game is my dream game as well as it is for many other people here.
STOP attacking this game.
star citizen the one thing in this Industry that can Truly make a difference. have some faith just this once! give it your support, and lets see where CIG can take this.

i believe in CIG, i believe in star citizen. don't just call me some Fanboy, i am simply someone who is just taking a leap of faith, because i am sooo tired of how most games are getting watered down into disappointing generic streamlined games. i am just sick of it!!!!!

something amazing at some point in this Industry will happen that could change everything!. the question is what, and when? well i believe maybe this is what it is! and when it will be, hopefully in 2017.
We will alll find out together. all that everyone needs to do... is just let this game happen, its well in the works now..... just let it happen.

that is all i have to say. i hope someone whose faith is dwindling or a hater that is browsing might see some understanding in what i am trying to say.
Thanks for taking the time to read. and for those who continue to follow through with this game, i will see you all in the verse ;)

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Citizens, previewing the PTU, LTI IS GOING TO BE WORTH IT. Because, you are going to die so quick, crash out so fast and get ejected without warning so frequently, that you will lose your ships every 10mins.

Buy more "LTI Tokens" because CIG won't refund you when you upgrade them.

Do yourself a favor.

Buy LTI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I can't wait for baby poo poo 4.9 or whatever the loving imbeciles are calling it these days

• Locked thread