Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aleksendr
May 14, 2014

doctor iono posted:

Lastly, I will cite the Milgram Experiment as a classic (even pre-internet) example

My Psy 101 teacher used to tell us "Never use Milgram in any way except to demonstrate how to NOT plan a psy or social experiment."

Aside from that Milgram was a study on obedience to authority figures. Unless the game (that does not exist yet) use voice message from Sandi politely asking you to " Please kill the other players" you cant really use it as an example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Clearly Bootcha was never a real SC fan in the first place. Otherwise he wouldn't have had the spare :10bux: for an account here.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

aleksendr posted:

My Psy 101 teacher used to tell us "Never use Milgram in any way except to demonstrate how to NOT plan a psy or social experiment."

Aside from that Milgram was a study on obedience to authority figures. Unless the game (that does not exist yet) use voice message from Sandi politely asking you to " Please kill the other players" you cant really use it as an example.

Is Milgram where everything is a butterfly or a vagina?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Wait no I am thinking of Rorschach tests where it's all butterflies and beavers

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

Wrong, it's some nice flowers.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
star citizen corps are awesome. you want to be part of a rad corp, right? how about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TniZk_v0010
The Red Dragon Crime Syndicate - it's like Cowboy Bebop, except it's a guild you can join! BE the bebop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfedqqZEDic
The Shadow Legion - do you like darkness? how about INNER darkness?

quote:

The Shadow Legion is a dark brotherhood that resides in the overwhelming darkness of space. We're always there, always watching, always ready to strike without a moments notice. ... Our ultimate goal is to have shared space with the Vanduul, our inner darkness being a common trait that they find intriguing and dangerous.
the compassion the shadow legion shows here is really what won me over

quote:

The Shadow Legion offers it's condolences and prayers to those affected by the horrific situation to befall those living in and visiting Paris.

the shadow legion too blasphemous for your taste? come this way friend, i have the corp for you

Christian Soldiers 7th Division -

quote:

This is a clan of friendship and fellowship. A clan of building players up and supporting them through prayer. I believe in having good clean fun with friends and also sharing the word of God (King James bible or equivalent) in that we can all learn and grow in the LORD.
forgot your king james bible? you may be better off with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQL3WKOkPmw
Saints 3G - FAMILY FRIENDLY... 100% CHRISTIAN MEMBERSHIP... PVP SUPPORT... PVE SUPPORT... PRIVATE TEAMSPEAK SERVER... CHRIST CENTERED... BIBLE BASED CONSTITUTION... FELLOWSHIP... BIBLE STUDIES

what was that? you're a girl? oh, you want

GIRL GAMERZZZ

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

peter gabriel posted:

It's all penises. Every time.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Yes, you see

I want this as an avatar.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Except instead of a dog it's a screenshot of Star Citizen.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Young Freud posted:

Wrong, it's some nice flowers.

You seem trustworthy enough

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
From the Star Citizen Support Group:

Another financially responsible Star Ctizen:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He couldn't handle differing opinions so he went of to :gary: with the rest of the anti-Derek cult club.

Oh, sorry, they just follow you "for the lulz" and "entertainment value" and totally not stalking your every move

Nope... not a cult of stalkers at all

Well, I learned something cult like and stalky or no. As someone who spent a decade getting a PhD let me just say, gently caress you Derek Smart.

That doesn't mean I presently disagree with you about Star Citizen, to the contrary I do agree with you, it just means you are either pretty hosed in the head or a terrible person.

I'm not sure which.

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

One phrase that I always see posted on reddit and other forums is some variation of "I don't mind Star Citizen being delayed because it means the game will be better when it is released"

So this leads me to a question for all those here who are still faithful to THE VISION:
When do the delays become too much for you, and what is your temporal line in the sand where you will say "enough is enough, this is too much of a delay"?

I assume it will be subjective to every individual, but I am honestly curious as to what is is for each of you. 2019...2020...maybe even 2025? Answer honestly, I promise I won't make fun of you.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

"We are both addictions counselors in real life"

:eyepop:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

fuzzknot posted:

Re: Karl

(For those who are new here, I'm Bootcha's girlfriend; that may lend some perspective to the following.)

Karl is . . . for lack of a better term, an rear end in a top hat who decided Bootcha wasn't really an investor simply because Bootcha posts on Something Awful.

Karl grew increasingly obsessed with Bootcha, specifically with trying to prove he was lying about who he was. Bootcha ignored him because 1.) Karl would never believe him anyway because a.) that's what cultists do and b.) that's what idiots do, and 2.) who the gently caress cares.

Karl posted Bootcha's real name on Reddit and tracked him down on Facebook and demanded he post on Facebook proof of who he was. It's harassment.

Bootcha is a much nicer person than I am. He might look the other way; I won't. Hence my advice to Karl to gently caress right the hell off.

karl is loving crazy

hahaha a loving addiction counselor

and he has a newborn hahahahaha

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Holy poo poo this thread.

Games › Star Citizen: Miss a little, miss a lot

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

hahaha a loving addiction counselor

and he has a newborn hahahahaha

I'ma go out on a limb here and say he named his baby "Pu"

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

This person was not appropriately torn apart, were they?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Wait, so If I join the bible-based constitution one, can I go around and go all testament (Old and New) on everyone? Like, actually follow what the bible says?

Cause I'm sure the space police will have questions.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

doctor iono posted:

"We are both addictions counselors in real life"

:eyepop:

This isn't really that :psyduck: when you consider that addictions counselors are very often former addicts. Yeah, there are addictions counselors that weren't addicts themselves, but usually if someone is an addictions counselor it means they were an addict at one time.

That's not really meant as a knock against them since being a former addict gives them quite a bit of empathy and understanding of what their patients are actually thinking. However, his post here is filled with rationalizations for his behavior, and this kind of compulsive spending is probably something he needs to discuss with his sponsor.

It seems like he's still trying to cling to the hope that maybe he's not down a deep dark hole right now, and so therefore it's cool guys he's got it under control.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 27, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If he is addicted to buying jpegs I question his 'former' status

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It started with text files, just now and again after work, to chill out you know? No big deal, everyone did a text file to unwind. Then one day this guy turns up with some html, yeah I tried it, man, it was intense. I needed more after that. Then I guess it's the usual tale, php files, rich text, all the usual.

The biggest regret of my life? Moving onto the hard stuff, the image files. I went heavy on the gifs for a while, what a rush, I felt so goddamn animated on those. Then pngs, my wife could see right through me by this point, but it was too late. Now I'm on multiple jpegs a month, my life is ruined, an artifact of what it once was.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

peter gabriel posted:

If he is addicted to buying jpegs I question his 'former' status

If you've kicked one addiction it's really easy to land yourself with an addiction of a different kind if you don't pay attention to poo poo like this. JPEG's don't get him high or have negative health consequences so he can pretend it's not a problem. Like I said, he needs to discuss this with his sponsor. Dear god I hope he still has a sponsor and that his sponsor is not his wife.

peter gabriel posted:

It started with text files, just now and again after work, to chill out you know? No big deal, everyone did a text file to unwind. Then one day this guy turns up with some html, yeah I tried it, man, it was intense. I needed more after that. Then I guess it's the usual tale, php files, rich text, all the usual.

The biggest regret of my life? Moving onto the hard stuff, the image files. I went heavy on the gifs for a while, what a rush, I felt so goddamn animated on those. Then pngs, my wife could see right through me by this point, but it was too late. Now I'm on multiple jpegs a month, my life is ruined, an artifact of what it once was.

I love you.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

McGiggins posted:

Wait, so If I join the bible-based constitution one, can I go around and go all testament (Old and New) on everyone? Like, actually follow what the bible says?

IIRC on my server back in the day, there used to be a Christian guild in wow that did Church in the game. Lol.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

McGiggins posted:

I have no idea.

quote:

Section B: Treatment of Non-Members
With respect to roleplay and enemy factions, all members are still expected to treat other players in the game, whether good or evil, as is becoming a Christian.

also i hosed up and this guild is actually KJV only too, what is it with aggressively proselytizing christians and KJV?

quote:

Section B: Ministries
Members may start up regular community ministries such as Bible studies, prayer meetings, or support groups that they wish to lead. Members must, prior to announcing the new ministry, get approval from the Council by sending a PM to a Councilor outlining the details of the new ministry who will then in turn bring it before the Council for approval and then let the member know once approved or denied. All sanctioned guild ministries involving the Bible are required to use the Official Guild Bible Version.

quote:

Section K: Avatar Attire
All members should have their digital game avatars dressed in a manner that has a positive representation of both our faith and the guild. Slave outfits and other revealing attire are to be avoided by all members when possible by game design for both their avatars and NPC companions.

ErIog posted:

This isn't really that :psyduck: when you consider that addictions counselors are very often former addicts. Yeah, there are addictions counselors that weren't addicts themselves, but usually if someone is an addictions counselor it means they were an addict at one time.

That's not really meant as a knock against them since being a former addict gives them quite a bit of empathy and understanding of what their patients are actually thinking. However, his post here is filled with rationalizations for his behavior, and this kind of compulsive spending is probably something he needs to discuss with his sponsor. It seems like he's still trying to cling to the hope that maybe he's not down a deep dark hole right now, and so therefore it's cool guys he's got it under control.

a fair point, i've only ever met one addictions counselor, and they were indeed a former addict.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

:swoon:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

is this one of the many assholes who buy early access games and now post about being game devs and qa testers?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
AtV 2.08

quote:

Ben Lesnick: You guys have seen this already, we’re up to about 15000 players right now. BugSmashers are hard at work fixing the various crashes and lag spikes and issues you discover. It has been an incredible process though. 2.0 is working exactly as we imagined it, people were getting in there and seeing how Star Citizen works, it’s all coming together. There’s the FPS, there’s the multi crew combat, there’s all sorts of parts everyone’s been waiting for, it’s a great experience for us, we feel good here.

Absolute loving visionaries these guys. A broken PoC shitmess is exactly how they imagined it.

:downsbravo: :chome: :sissies: :chome: :jackbud: :cocaine: :parrot:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Well we released the Baby poo poo 2.786 and it appears people are falling through the world, having troubles connecting and crashing every 2 minutes as well as animations being complete clownshoes, good job guys, exactly as we envisioned it :psyduck:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

You missed the best part, the response:

"You're probably an addict now, but at least you've got a bitching computer! WOOOOO! :asoiaf:

It's not a support group to stop problems, its to encourage them. :pcgaming1:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

phosdex posted:

is this one of the many assholes who buy early access games and now post about being game devs and qa testers?

Yes, you can tell because he is posting there

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I was referring to the griefing potential of following the bible to the letter.

Lotta that stuff would make one persona non gratia pretty much everywhere. Also, in jail.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ErIog posted:

That's not really meant as a knock against them since being a former addict gives them quite a bit of empathy and understanding of what their patients are actually thinking. However, his post here is filled with rationalizations for his behavior, and this kind of compulsive spending is probably something he needs to discuss with his sponsor. It seems like he's still trying to cling to the hope that maybe he's not down a deep dark hole right now, and so therefore it's cool guys he's got it under control.
When I read accounts like his, I really do feel sorry for them. Hiding a spacepixel addiction from your addiction counselor wife -- spending thousands on spaceships when you just had a baby-- it's a marriage time bomb that is going to blow up in his and her face down the road.

The fact the CIG's coffers are fat with misspent funds-- many from people who don't really earn much, or from addictive personalities caught up in some fever dream mania, from husbands keeping secrets from wives-- it just makes me so mad at Chris and Sandi for enabling and profiting so handsomely from it.

Sandi's Citcon speech spoke of CIG's great work as though they were researchers about to introduce the cure for cancer. It framed it in such exalted language and meaning-- when all this is, and all it ever was or will be-- is a company run by narcissists (a 'has been' and a 'never was') who are trying to make a space game. And launch (in Sandi's case) or relaunch (in Chris' case) Hollywood careers that one was evicted from after the other hitched her wagon to his falling star.

I keep returning to The Escapist's depiction- particularly CS3's- of a CIG workforce that struggles with feelings of guilt about the reckless spending habits of some of their backers. Yet empathy for these deluded souls stops at the middle management layer of CIG. Chris and Sandi don't lose a wink of sleep worrying about marriages falling apart over misspent family funds-- they think they're making people's dreams come true and consider it a fair exchange if they wear a cleavage baring outfit to dinner when dining with VIP victims of their scam.

Sorry for so many :words: -- I just get pissed off thinking about the wholesale dysfunction profiteering that's behind all this.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 27, 2015

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Toops posted:

Absolute loving visionaries these guys. A broken PoC shitmess is exactly how they imagined it.

:downsbravo: :chome: :sissies: :chome: :jackbud: :cocaine: :parrot:

To be fair when you're lying in bed and super depressed about your life I would wager you probably would imagine everything going wrong.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You missed the best part, the response:

"You're probably an addict now, but at least you've got a bitching computer! WOOOOO! :asoiaf:

It's not a support group to stop problems, its to encourage them. :pcgaming1:
I actually started feeling uncomfortable continuing to read through that thread :smith:. A lot of those people need real support, not Star Citizen.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
At its most fundamental level Star Citizen is a very elaborate plan to get revenge on Kevin Costner and that will never stop being funny to me

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I've seen stuff like "Goons have come around and like SC again because the PU is so goddamn amazing" in like 3 different places at this point.

What loving thread are they reading?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Deki posted:

I've seen stuff like "Goons have come around and like SC again because the PU is so goddamn amazing" in like 3 different places at this point.

Probably the ED one by mistake :lol:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

peter gabriel posted:

Well we released the Baby poo poo 2.786 and it appears people are falling through the world, having troubles connecting and crashing every 2 minutes as well as animations being complete clownshoes, good job guys, exactly as we envisioned it :psyduck:

Sandi: "Don't forget missing assets, ships shambling in and crumpling instead of spawning, and missions for the developmentally disabled that bugcrash!" *smarmy glamour shots pose into the 4th wall*

Ben: Hahaha, great point Sandi, can't believe I forgot that. so STUPID! Hahaha. We're really happy guys. *FART*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Deki posted:

What they want to read.

• Locked thread