Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

janssendalt posted:

hey guys, this game is coming out
and it's going to be the best

It's quite easy to mistake janssendalt for an ironic parody account but this is actually a semi-literate backer attempting to express genuine support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

janssendalt posted:

And if it doesn't come out, that'll be worth watching.

Or if it comes out and is just average, that might be pretty good too.

When you think about it, we'll be entertained no matter what happens.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

janssendalt posted:

Thread's Goons Emotional Level: FRUSTRATED.

everything in the PTU 2.0 is really good
very buggy, but super fun nonetheless

I really hope so, I can't wait to ''explore'' all the bugs.

Ahh Yes
Nov 16, 2004
>_>
So heard about this poo poo when it first got launched on kickstarter and it was clear then that it was never going to happen in the very first thread.

Now what happens when everything goes tits up? I know people who donated are classed as investors or whatever, but really it seems to me like they're customers (read: suckers) isn't there some kind of consumer protection in America, Or can Christ Roberts get out his paper shredder and gently caress off to a tropical island?

Reading Derek Smarts blog it literally seems like a scam set up for the purpose of fleecing more and more money while Christ Roberts creates shell companies around the world in order to hide a fortune of all that cash, that appears to still be coming in as we speak.

I can't believe people are still donating money.

What the hell, I seriously advise taking up smack or something that gives a tangible reward rather than space-heroin jpegs lol.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I had more fun with Star Citizen without ever playing it than with any game I've bought recently.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I've been a member of this community for over 10 years but I'm starting to feel we jumped the gun on this one and now many of you are simply determined not to see what's right in front of you. We all bought into Derek Smart's claims and in retrospect we should have know better but that doesn't excuse what you people are doing now.

The game is out and it's a lot of fun, we can't continue to pretend nothing has changed. I bought a pack last night and none of the stuff you keep talking about is true, I've had a lot of fun and not a single crash. What possible reason could you have to keep lying about this game? Chris Roberts delivered already and if we continue with this stupid obstinacy we are going to be left behind. I know I'd hate for the game that is going to define PC gaming for the next generation not to have a strong Goon presence so I think it's time we swallow our pride and try to get back in with the least fuss possible.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Ahh Yes posted:

Now what happens when everything goes tits up?

A whole bunch of nerds commit suicide?

Dark, I know, but I genuinely fear for what will happen to some people's already weak psychological state if this does explode in a ball of flames with no game at the end of it. It's scary enough to think what will happen to these people if SC turns out to be a decent video game worth $50.

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

D_Smart posted:

Oh they've resorted to making poo poo up now, then? Where exactly did they get it from that I had met with any AGs? Let alone those two?

Can you all see yet he can't even keep his own bullshit straight?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm flying on my Kony right now and it feels good man.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ive heard a lot of delusional people say 2.0 is fun but they cant seem to pinpoint whats fun about it. I would like to see a genuine write up of the gameplay experience, what there is to do right now, if its better than whats offered in other games of the genre. That sort of thing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Gryphon0468 posted:

Neither can Chris.

MeLKoR posted:

I'm flying on my Kony right now and it feels good man.

Does it do anything different from anything in E:D?

Ahh Yes
Nov 16, 2004
>_>
I think goons already made this game the best game ever. I'll be disappointed if it actually gets released.

But there's literally no hope of that happening.

:smug:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Does it do anything different from anything in E:D?

Can you dock to a station in ED, open your cargo bay door and storm the station completely by surprise with an army of coked up child slave soldiers? I don't think so.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Gryphon0468 posted:

Oh, this is rich.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

Can you dock to a station in ED, open your cargo bay door and storm the station completely by surprise with an army of coked up child slave soldiers? I don't think so.

Yup, Triple +AAA+ game right there.

Time to take up that free account offer a redditor offered me.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ive heard a lot of delusional people say 2.0 is fun but they cant seem to pinpoint whats fun about it. I would like to see a genuine write up of the gameplay experience, what there is to do right now, if its better than whats offered in other games of the genre. That sort of thing.

Moving pictures and bright blinking lights are pretty fun.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

Next metal gear sounds pretty good

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It's fair to say that 2.0 is a fun game with extremely minimal variety or content. Many, many games are based around the concept of missions that boil down to "fetch item" or "shoot dudes". 2.0 has this basic framework and flying around in a space ship shooting dudes or in FPS mode shooting dudes, or fetching items in first person or in a space ship can be fun.

They fix the crashing and add a bunch of randomly generated missions involving shooting/collecting different permutations of dudes and/or items and you absolutely have a video game on your hands that a human can have fun playing. Slap some exp and currency as mission rewards that let you upgrade your poo poo to bigger poo poo and this is basically the PU I expect to see at release.

I really doubt anything that SC offers will be better than other games - I expect SC to fall into the trap of trying to do too many disparate things. It'll have an explorable universe of only 100 stars when E:D has literally hundreds of thousands. It'll have dogfighting which may be up to scratch with other games that offer it, but it's unlikely to be better. It'll have FPS combat, but it won't be better than a game like Planetside 2 or other dedicated FPS games. It'll have a story but it won't be better than something like The Witcher 3 - to be honest the story is likely to be awful.

It'll certainly take the award for crowd funding better than any other game but I don't imagine SC will be notable for anything besides that.

Would love to hear from one of the few SC supporters scattered around the thread about what they believe SC is going to do better than other games of it's genre. To me it's just going to be a jack of all trades that, if you're lucky, will be a fun little game for a month or two.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gryphon0468 posted:

I hope you realize that a lot of us were making fun of SC years before Derek Smart posted his first blog and would have continued to do so if he didn't decide to play the gadfly. We don't really care about his credibility since he's not the one selling $15k ship packages in a supposedly non-p2w space game.

He's very obviously not the bad guy.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Toops posted:

-------------------------------------------------------------- Internal use only --------------------------------------------------------------

Chairman Review: Animations
Hey guys animations look poo poo we need more knobby swivel and juke-bobs. Redo the "bone-man."

Cheers,
Chairman Chris Roberts

--------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Chairman Review: Animations
Hey Chris, thanks for the review! Really appreciate you taking the time to do that. I'm not sure what "knobby swivel" or "juke-bobs" are, and I'm guessing by "bone-man" you mean the skeleton? Just know, any changes to the skeleton/rigging will take at least two months. Are you sure? The animations for the rigging we have are finally coming together, we're almost there!

Thanks!
Competent Animator

You're loving fired for EVER questioning me. You're to make a new rig skeleton or whatever. One that's not poo poo. Any other questions from you filthy loving trogs can be asked in detail during your exit interviews. You're all fired.

Cheers,
The loving CHAIRMAN Chris Roberts, Remember? CHAIRMAN

Hey Chris, Ben here. You fired our entire animation team yesterday while you were geeked on coke. I told them all you were joking. Were you serious about redoing the rigging... again?

Your friend,
Ben

What?

Cheers,
Chairman Chris Roberts

YOU DO WHATEVER THE gently caress MY HUSBAND SAYS GOT THAT YOU FAT oval office!!?!!?!?!?!?!

-Sandi

:five:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Gryphon0468 posted:

are you mental?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Agrajag posted:

are you mental?

He's still looking for it

the one neat trick to convincing people to stop making fun of star citizen that derek smart doesn't want you to know

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

ErIog posted:

I'm sure a lot of people know this, but holy poo poo mo-cap is not a turn key solution. It will look like absolute loving garbage if you don't have the right people with the right pipeline doing it. It will look, in fact... a lot like Star Citizen looks.

So the schadenfreude on top of the schadenfreude here is that they got Mark Hamill in for a mo-cap session they might not actually have the skills to make proper use of. I can't think of a better example of a sunk cost fallacy than doing mo-cap sessions for an MMO space ship game that might not actually end up being usable. You know they're going to pour the resources in to "fix," it since for some reason, it's really important to mo-cap Hollywood actors for a space ship MMO.

Is that why Gary had a pez dispenser mouth when he's doing his lovely speech? Would own if they end up redoing it, like Duke Nukem Forever but with cutscenes rather than engine or gameplay elements.

Ahh Yes
Nov 16, 2004
>_>
Has anyone thought about creating a kickstarter for a full feature length AAA Hollywood film about the making of Star Citizen where Mark Hamill can play Chris Roberts and also play Mark Hamill.

And we can sell the dream of adding backers names to end credits for a small one time fee, but you better be quick if you want to see your name first on the list.

Actually just get Mark Hamill to read out all the backers names in his "Old Man" voice with a black background and a violin playing. With maybe the occasional jpeg thrown in for posterity.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Fun just means it is a game, and that you can do game things. As opposed to non game things, such as word processing and Photoshop. Just remember that this is the first version of the game with more than rudimentary gameplay mechanics (walking, flying, shooting).

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

BMan posted:

I didn't know space engineers had scripting in it! Looks like I know my next steam purchase :science:

I've had that game in my Steam library for a while. They encourage you to watch a bunch of videos to learn the interface and how to play and I've been :effort: so far. Will after Fallout 4 though!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gryphon0468 posted:

You are sexually attracted to space ships.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Star Citizen

Technically, more a game than a word processor

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Is it a bird

Is it a plane

No! It's gryphon man! Paying ten dollars to tell people they're wrong about a space game!

You show us, gryphon man!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Star Citizen

Technically, more a game than a word processor

But not Excel. Excel specifically had cheat codes to play games in it.

Star Citizen: I'd rather be playing Excel

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Gryphon0468 posted:

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I hope you realize that a lot of us were making fun of SC years before Derek Smart posted his first blog and would have continued to do so if he didn't decide to play the gadfly. We don't really care about his credibility since he's not the one selling $15k ship packages in a supposedly non-p2w space game.

He's very obviously not the bad guy.

So long ago that when there were still true believers posting in the games thread, the mock thread was shared with people posting about an Alabama hot dog salesman.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tokamak posted:

So long ago that when there were still true believers posting in the games thread, the mock thread was shared with people posting about an Alabama hot dog salesman.

Man, people got weird about doobie's dogs.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It was pretty weird.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But not Excel. Excel specifically had cheat codes to play games in it.

Star Citizen: I'd rather be playing Excel

EVE Online: The world's greatest Excel easter egg.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That thread was great though, it was a safe place to talk about Star Citizen and you just had to skip most of the hot dogs stuff when it got too much.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Doobie was the most successful goon project ever

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bootcha posted:

You're Wolf, Derek's Chains, KC's Dallas, I'm little brother Houston. And Legal is himself.

Don't act dumb.

I am okay with this. Also I'm glad you and fuzz are happy.

ErIog posted:

Sandi is a symptom of the problems over at CIG. She is not the root cause. Star Citizen might be slightly different, but still probably just as hosed as without her. Roberts dev history demonstrates this point pretty well.

There's a serious organizational smell when a dude hires his wife and then brother to work at his company. There are certain situations where that's a legit good business decision. This isn't one of them. Roberts, himself, appears to value loyalty above any other skill sets.That's dangerous.

Sandi made sense as a marketing person back when there were 7 people on the project. Hell Erin makes sense when you consider his history. The problem is that CIG was a victim of their own success and allowed scope to creep to the point where it's this bloated monstrosity that means everything to everyone. That's a really, really bad thing to have happen when the primary quality that determines how good the game appears is how much money you've sunk into it. Fortunately most Kickstarters see that now and include an upper limit to what they'll promise. Battletech is a good example of that.

Rad Russian posted:

I have no understanding how all the reddit cultists defend Croberts spending backer money on useless $10,000 'artsy' desks and $5000 chairs that people have posted pictures of. How does this not wake them up? Even regardless of whether you agree that delays are acceptable or not, or what the stated vision of the game is etc. That stuff is NOT ok in any industry when your company does not have a released product yet.

Does all that crap end up in Sandi's house after liquidation or what?

Sunk cost fallacy.

EightAce posted:

FROM CLOWN IMPERIUM'S WEBSITE

Reptile Blackdeath
Reptile_Blackdeath
Posted: November 26
Well, I think I should let people in on a condition in the referral program that I missed.

I though it would be a great time to try and get some more people in if they could get a $30 pack, and I might get a chance at these referral rewards (I had most people I knew invested before the referral program)

One person got a $30 pack.. but they still came up as a 'prospect' on my account details.
I though it just might be a time delay.. checked again later... nope... still in Prospects...
I'm confused at this point, as I can see from there that they have enlisted...

Reading more... and I see "whenever one of your recruits becomes an active player by purchasing a Game Package (with minimum value of $40 USD)...."
Sooo... short story.. if you want to get a referral point.. DON'T ENCOURAGE YOUR FRIENDS TO JOIN NOW.
I guess wait and make them spend more... meh.. pity as I though this would be the time to do it..

Be aware.. I missed the fine print.

Oh really ...........

Good job CIG, because if there's anything that says "we value our backers' it's loving them over with minutia. People love that, almost as much as they love it when they give you money in response to you declaring an artificial scarcity and then watch you go back on your word. It's almost as if the person in charge of marketing is a horrible, amoral, soulless husk of a human being with absolutely no regard for anyone.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

AP posted:

That thread was great though, it was a safe place to talk about Star Citizen and you just had to skip most of the hot dogs stuff when it got too much.

It was cool because something funny would happen with Doobie then he'd plum give out for the weekend but we wouldn't be bored because here's another jpeg or someone trying to convert the heretics. There was also DayZ but I think people just forgot that game existed. We should have more fusion threads.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
All the stuff about Sandi might not be true, just throwing that out there. Given the sizable number of rumours you'd have to say there's an awful lot of smoke coming from her direction but The Escapist hasn't revisited the story so far. If it was all true that would be a difficult story for me to resist going back to, largest crowd funded game in history and all that.

The next 6 months are going to be interesting. Will CIG show a new found confidence and commitment to rolling patches out to fix issues and add gameplay to 2.0, or will they half arse it as the sale period is over while more developers run for the exits?

Tune in to Around the Verse, season 3 to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

doctor iono posted:

the worst part about the SC community is how they reinforce and justify each other's mental illnesses. sooo many posts from clearly unhealthy individuals either get ignored or treated like a joke, bc even acknowledging the sheer volume of insane people would be too close to admitting that RSIs business model is built around drawing those crazies in.

It kind of reminds me of American conservatism.

• Locked thread