Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've just realised that while CiC have mostly been promoting the Hollywood actors they have lined up for this, I have no idea what the plot of the game is. Now I haven't scoured the CiC/Reddit forums on account of not hating myself so the details may be somewhere in there. That said does anyone know if there is a plot at all? Not precise story beats, just a general sense of what the games story will be about?

I'm not talking about the lore. I've gathered that there's a war based on :gary:'s speech. That is well and good as set dressing but what does that mean for the player? Are they a soldier in the military? If so, why the emphasis on purchasing and customising ships? How does the plot justify their ownership of a squadron or fleet without creating massive plot holes?

Is the player a random mercenary trying to get by in a galaxy torn apart by war? If so, what side are they fighting for? Why? How did they come to own a military fleet?

Are they going for an elite dangerous sort of deal where (to my understanding) the player makes their own fun and involvement with the plot is largely optional? If so, why emphasise the Hollywood actors (or even hire them)?

I'll grant that it's highly probable that I've skimmed over this information and someone knows there is a plot, in which case feel free to inform me of my ignorance. However, it seems strange to have so little information about the plot at this stage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

bumbles fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 27, 2015

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Goons keep saying sunk cost fallacy. But what if what they're saying is sunk cost fallacy fallacy? What now, goons?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Something hit me while lying in bed last night: multi crew ships might be the worst idea ever in practice. The idea on paper sounds incredible. Grab your mates, hop on a Connie and zoom around the galaxy causing havoc. Amazing. Now, put it into a game. Everyone hops on and someone grabs the controls and you've off! You aren't flying the ship, but you've got you buds all around. No worries. Quantum drive kicks in. Whoa! This is amazing! You all feel a sense of wonder as the verse folds around you. Where should we go? That's like asking what toppings to get on your pizza. Everyone pipes up. Lots of opinions and you want to hunt pirates, but your idea is shot down. Cargo run. Oh. Ok, well not your fave but whatever. Quantum drive kicks in. You chat up your friends. You talk about how exciting this all is and the possibilities. You wander the ship. You've see it 1000 times but it still kinda is cool. You walk to the bridge and talk to the pilot. He's nice, but busy. Doesn't really have time to chat as he tries to land. You stare out the window. Everything looks crisp and lovely. A jav zooms by. Whoa! You feel the craft touchdown and you all exit. You spread out. Cargo is gotten but a few of your mates linger. You tell them it's time to go. They persist in mucking about the station. You stand on the dock near the ship and wait. Let's go! I want to hunt pirates! After ten minutes of waiting and kind of wandering around they all get back to the ship. Finally! You are off. You ask to pilot but someone jumps in the cockpit and that's that. Oh well. Maybe next time. You jump into trouble. Pirates!! Yes. Oh man this is going to be great! Someone hops in a turret. Dang, maybe you'll get in the other one. Yes! You are in. Time to inflict laser death! Protect the ship. Protect the cargo!! The smaller ships zoom around you and it's hard to get a good angle. You ask the pilot to turn a bit so you can fire more than once every 20 seconds or so. Everything is moving too fast. The Connie pivots as you try to target causing you to miss widely. Over and over. Then the pirates are above you and you have no shot. Your friends yell as the hull goes critical. You move out of the way and let another take over. Same issues. Your ship smokes and alarms blare. Then a bright light. You are dead. You wake up and run for the hanger to meet up again. They want to do the cargo run again. Ok. But you want revenge! Voted down again. As you wander the ship and stare at the walls listening to your friends tease you and you turret skills, you see a idris jump and wonder if you shouldn't just grab one of the dozen or so ships in your hanger and solo some missions and just do what you want to do. You push those thoughts deep inside and smile. "Yeah, I guess I suck at shooting. I'll let you guys handle it next time." They tell you not to even think about asking to pilot until you "get better at sc". You die a little inside.

:(.

Again it sounds great on paper. In reality game devs assign those ship positions to NPCs. Can you imagine mass effect with all human players? Yeah you stay in med bay while I pilot and have fun. If someone sneezes we'll call you. Fun!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Nyeehg posted:

I'll grant that it's highly probable that I've skimmed over this information and someone knows there is a plot, in which case feel free to inform me of my ignorance. However, it seems strange to have so little information about the plot at this stage

They don't talk about the plot for Squadron 42 because spoilers, it's a remake of Apocalypse Now. Junior officer get trapped behind enemy lines, insane military commander and space cowgirls dancing.

All the bought ships are for the wider universe called the Persistent Universe/Star Citizen.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

MeLKoR posted:

I'm flying on my Kony right now and it feels good man.

Wait till you grabby hands your cargo manually and report back.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ZenMaster posted:

Something hit me while lying in bed last night: multi crew ships might be the worst idea ever in practice. The idea on paper sounds incredible. Grab your mates, hop on a Connie and zoom around the galaxy causing havoc. Amazing. Now, put it into a game. Everyone hops on and someone grabs the controls and you've off! You aren't flying the ship, but you've got you buds all around. No worries. Quantum drive kicks in. Whoa! This is amazing! You all feel a sense of wonder as the verse folds around you. Where should we go? That's like asking what toppings to get on your pizza. Everyone pipes up. Lots of opinions and you want to hunt pirates, but your idea is shot down. Cargo run. Oh. Ok, well not your fave but whatever. Quantum drive kicks in. You chat up your friends. You talk about how exciting this all is and the possibilities. You wander the ship. You've see it 1000 times but it still kinda is cool. You walk to the bridge and talk to the pilot. He's nice, but busy. Doesn't really have time to chat as he tries to land. You stare out the window. Everything looks crisp and lovely. A jav zooms by. Whoa! You feel the craft touchdown and you all exit. You spread out. Cargo is gotten but a few of your mates linger. You tell them it's time to go. They persist in mucking about the station. You stand on the dock near the ship and wait. Let's go! I want to hunt pirates! After ten minutes of waiting and kind of wandering around they all get back to the ship. Finally! You are off. You ask to pilot but someone jumps in the cockpit and that's that. Oh well. Maybe next time. You jump into trouble. Pirates!! Yes. Oh man this is going to be great! Someone hops in a turret. Dang, maybe you'll get in the other one. Yes! You are in. Time to inflict laser death! Protect the ship. Protect the cargo!! The smaller ships zoom around you and it's hard to get a good angle. You ask the pilot to turn a bit so you can fire more than once every 20 seconds or so. Everything is moving too fast. The Connie pivots as you try to target causing you to miss widely. Over and over. Then the pirates are above you and you have no shot. Your friends yell as the hull goes critical. You move out of the way and let another take over. Same issues. Your ship smokes and alarms blare. Then a bright light. You are dead. You wake up and run for the hanger to meet up again. They want to do the cargo run again. Ok. But you want revenge! Voted down again. As you wander the ship and stare at the walls listening to your friends tease you and you turret skills, you see a idris jump and wonder if you shouldn't just grab one of the dozen or so ships in your hanger and solo some missions and just do what you want to do. You push those thoughts deep inside and smile. "Yeah, I guess I suck at shooting. I'll let you guys handle it next time." They tell you not to even think about asking to pilot until you "get better at sc". You die a little inside.

Again it sounds great on paper. In reality game devs assign those ship positions to NPCs. Can you imagine mass effect with all human players? Yeah you stay in med bay while I pilot and have fun. If someone sneezes we'll call you. Fun!

You shouldn't think so much about Star Citizen, imo.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
And the prize for the dumbest motherfucker goes to

how do these people manage to eat without choking, HOW?

What's worse, what does it say about me that I feel no remorse exploiting them for laughs?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

MeLKoR posted:

What's worse, what does it say about me that I feel no remorse exploiting them for laughs?

You found Karl!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fuuuuuuck me, I shouldn't be filling these morons with hope, I'm making everything worse!

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Paladinus posted:

It keeps me up at night man. :(

(Not true)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

Hahaha poo poo I think we should all just start posting the most sarcastic support for SC and see if they swallow it.

No wonder CR finds it so easy to part these children with their money.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AP posted:

All the stuff about Sandi might not be true, just throwing that out there. Given the sizable number of rumours you'd have to say there's an awful lot of smoke coming from her direction but The Escapist hasn't revisited the story so far. If it was all true that would be a difficult story for me to resist going back to, largest crowd funded game in history and all that.

The next 6 months are going to be interesting. Will CIG show a new found confidence and commitment to rolling patches out to fix issues and add gameplay to 2.0, or will they half arse it as the sale period is over while more developers run for the exits?

Tune in to Around the Verse, season 3 to find out.

It's all true.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

[–]Maht_Daymun 1 ponto 20 minutes ago*
wow, someone in that forum actually makes sense? They'll probably ban the guy from Skippy's echo troll thread.
gee, everyone can decide for himself to find SC fun or not, but there is not a shadow of a doubt about what's NOT fun: playing a Derek S. game
Just how thirsty are these people?

quote:

[–]Citizen__217712 [score hidden] 10 minutes ago
pretty sure he is just trolling you guys... think about it. he says he just got a package and is flying his connie...
so one of the biggest poo poo talkers went from 0 dollars in to connie money and instantly accepted into the PTU?
either hes been a liar and a backer for a while, playing 1.3 and lying about the ship, or just trolling so everyone here looks dumb since right before that they are talking about how "redditors take any positive words as a sign of victory"
Id be glad if they are actually trying to see for themselves and judge but these guys aren't very bright to begin with. they would rather shitpost than even watch a video.
:laugh:

e: And how the hell am I one of the biggest poo poo talkers? I never even touch the poop, I just post in this little corner of the internet and react to their stupidity. I feel I'm getting undeserved credit. :ohdear:

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 27, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Oh man, I've just played the most fantastic game of Star Citizen in my life. We destroyed their T1 on minute 3 and then I play double golem and go for a mega kill.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MeLKoR posted:

Eh. It's no worse than laughing at cat videos. Well, except that these people lack the fluffy charm, sociability, and winning personality of a cat.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

ZenMaster posted:

Congratulations your autism is getting better if you realize space chores suck rear end.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Paladinus posted:

It's a valid concern. Multi-person raids and such in MMOs are very carefully designed to work with groups of people, but they're highly structured "events" in the game, and even then it can be a huge ballache if the team doesn't gel just right, AND you are controlling an independent, mobile character. Making a multi person system where everyone has something to do all the time and that thing is fun, engaging and different from each other team member is a huge game design challenge, making that work for dozens of different ships which operate in totally different ways and in hundreds of potential situations is probably insurmountable

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ZenMaster posted:

It's even worse when you consider being a boarder, since those guys supposedly will be wearing armor that means they can't occupy a regular seat or fit in a turret. By all accounts boarding will be a dull, tedious affair to just get two ships to connect. Otherwise you're completely right that the "multi-crew" aspect of the game seems awesome in theory but terrible in execution. Which would be more entertaining; a bunch of guys manning turrets in a Retaliator, or those some number of people flying escort in their own ships? Which will be more effective from a game perspective?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's all true.

I appreciate that you've been told that by people you trust, but at best it's 2nd hand information.

I mean, if it was all 100% true then the link between the rabid white knights and Sandi is all the funnier. She's being a complete bitch to staff while giving a loving weird speech at Citizen Con about improving peoples lives, crying, receiving flowers and pretending she's a damsel in distress under attack by nasty jealous people. I suspect also using her contacts from Concierge in the early days to organise a defense force of stupid whales who's she's already fleeced for thousands.

Until someone is willing to go on the record or the Escapist repeats the allegations in face of a legal threat, there room for some doubt and we shouldn't lose sight of that because the stuff that's been said about her is as nasty as you can get.

I wouldn't be keen to support a company that has a racist as a boss and seems like she calls the shots on all the important stuff like sales, if it later turned out to be true and I'd been stalking some poor guy on the internet, posting on a sub reddit dedicated to harassing him... Well I'd feel pretty bad, aside from being out thousands of dollars of course.

Edit, to be clear, not that I'm asking anyone to go on the record as they might get sued. There's no rush on my part to see how this ends.

AP fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 27, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Whatever the hell that woman has over those guys must be incredible. I haven't found a single redeeming quality about her. She is a truly horrible person and every credible account I have heard of her has reinforced that she is a toxic presence who does nothing but make those around her miserable. I pity anyone who is forced to be around her.

Maybe that's why they moved from Texas to California, much harder for nerds to get guns in California

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

neonbregna posted:

Congratulations your autism is getting better if you realize space chores suck rear end.

Nah it'll totally be like in Farscape wheere you get to chill with a not-Klingon bro, a sexy blue alien and a farting muppet. The space adventure will be endless

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Holy poo poo, even at this early stage of development, Star Citizen blows ED out of the water. It's almost too immersive, I ended up playing for 5 hours yesterday

Have you guys been to the million mile high club yet? It's an amazing experience, but you need to enter this in to the debug console to get in:

You need a Platinum Account to reveal this message.

Buy all of you guys a drink when I see you there!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I thought see you in the 'Verse was just a catchphrase, but it's true. My dead grandma is hear, my cat from fifteen years ago, everyone. It's a magical place and I'm happy for the first time in my life.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

crazzyassbtich [score hidden] 4 minutes ago
If someone wants to hate on SC whoever else they can go ahead. No one is going to stop them, no one can.
But those gullible fucks have started to eat up everything he says. Its one thing to hate on the game for legitimate reasons but totally another to keep your bullshit world going on lies.
So DS is Head Goon incharge.

:psyboom:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am actually making money in Star Citizen now. I've left my job and now work full time in Star Citizen and make £120 a day by flying space ships in Star Citizen. You can do this, too!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I have extensive experience in sex-related activities and can tell you with certainty, the best sex I've ever had was in Star Citizen. It's like sex 2.0.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

They don't talk about the plot for Squadron 42 because spoilers, it's a remake of Apocalypse Now. Junior officer get trapped behind enemy lines, insane military commander and space cowgirls dancing.

All the bought ships are for the wider universe called the Persistent Universe/Star Citizen.

Ugh! I somehow keep forgetting that this is a chimera made of parts that weren't made to be bolted together.

So! Squadron 42 has everyone use the same character and/or load out? Meanwhile the Persistant universe where all the money is being spent is essentially a sandbox with no overarching plot. We also have no idea what you'll be able to do beyond fly a mostly empty universe and perform basic missions as seen in the 2.0. I got that right?

In any event, I wonder how much dissent is slowly bubbling in the CiC community. Yes there's still a lot of white knighting but they can't keep throwing money at this indefinitely right? Even the whales have a finite amount of cash.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I want to play as an escort. :wink:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Star Citizen helped me to be a better father and husband to my dead wife and malnourished children.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

I want to play as an escort. :wink:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The only bad thing about Star Citizen right now is hellish demons that try to kill you in real life if you play for more than two hours. Otherwise, it's a very solid game with very minor balancing issues.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I found fuzzknot thanks to Chris Roberts and Star Citizen. We play 2.0 together, and it has made our relationship so much stronger than it ought to be.

I've still got $3k in Star Citizen, maybe I should put just a little more in.

What's the best package for sale out there now.

Also give me your referral codes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bootcha posted:

I found fuzzknot thanks to Chris Roberts and Star Citizen. We play 2.0 together, and it has made our relationship so much stronger than it ought to be.

I've still got $3k in Star Citizen, maybe I should put just a little more in.

Also give me your referral codes.

my referral code is BUTT-5OUP

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
No more regrets. I'm uploading my brain into Star Citizen.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

What is the best package for me to get? I can only afford about $90, so I'll be getting a credit card so that I can spend the necessary $2000-$3000.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
*drugs whale in the hot tub and casts him out of the airlock*

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bootcha posted:

Completionist package, duh!

I have a completionist package :smuggo:

• Locked thread