Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Working on other people's spreadsheets today and Jesus loving Christ what is everybody's obsession with unnecessary merged cells. Just expand the column instead of making everything double you cunts

hell is other peoples spreadsheets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

learnincurve posted:

For the record I have a working border collie and a greyhound/saluki x crufts winning whippet. No he wasn't very happy to find his £10,000 show dog knocked up by his son's lamping dog because he left it in the yard with her and hosed off to the pub.

Well you're rural, aren't you?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Aye. Ow do?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Working on other people's spreadsheets today and Jesus loving Christ what is everybody's obsession with unnecessary merged cells. Just expand the column instead of making everything double you cunts

Aah, that data I've been waiting for. I'll just do a pivot table... oh wait, no, first I'll have to spend 10 minutes unpicking your retarded formatting. And now there's #ref!'s everywhere, why's that? Oh I see, it's all linked back to a file saved on your desktop; great stuff!

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

all workplaces should have a pet dog/cat imo

much better working on lovely spreadsheets when you have a cat to pet and delete all the work you did when it jumps on the keyboard

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

oi nerds, what computer shops are good in the UK? Overclockers have poo poo customer service and not great prices but everywhere else seems worse.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
ebuyer were alright last time i checked

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

seconding ebuyer, dabs.com are also cheap but i dont know if theyre still good

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

oi nerds, what computer shops are good in the UK? Overclockers have poo poo customer service and not great prices but everywhere else seems worse.

weren't overclockers BNP members/racists too?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pound_Coin posted:

weren't overclockers BNP members/racists too?
explains why all the reps I've spoken to are so thick I suppose

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

yeah I used ebuyer last time I did computer stuff they were good

aria were also really good, less choice than ebuyer but were cheaper on comparable items, this was about 4 years ago though. would recommend highly

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

seconding ebuyer, dabs.com are also cheap but i dont know if theyre still good

Years and years ago I ordered a laptop from dabs to be delivered to my flat in London. I waited in from 8-5 for it to be delivered and it never arrived; dabs didn't have any phone lines for customer service and my emails went unanswered so I managed to get hold of the delivery company. They had instead tried to deliver it to my mums house (my card billing address), which was several hours away from London.

HOWEVER they also hosed up and delivered it to some dude in the next town while delivering his order. The only reason I got my laptop was by looking up this guy's address in the phone book (the courier would only give me his name), and driving to his house to pick it up. It was an absolute farce and I've written a lot of words so in summary gently caress dabs.com and lovely private couriers.

Something Witty
Jan 24, 2009
Fun Shoe
ebuyer have always had god awful customer service, they might've improved since then, but I haven't used them in a while.

I bought a new retail CPU from Aria a few years ago that had been carefully removed from the packaging so as not to break any seals, and had been used before. Turns out they were cherry-picking good overclockers for premium sales and then selling the crappy ones full-price as-new. A friend ended up working there, and apparently this kind of thing and worse went on all the time and the company was shady as gently caress.

Overclockers were bought out a couple of years back, I heard that they improved a lot, although their prices still aren't great and the amount of choice has got a lot worse. Never heard any racist accusations though?

In the end, most places probably suck at customer service, maybe because the margins are so small. If I can, I buy parts from Amazon. I hate the company and their practices, but if you've got any problems their no-questions-asked customer service is so helpful, and they are usually competitive on price.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Overclockers used to be shady as gently caress, I don't think I ever had an order from them where most of the low end stuff was already burnt out. Every single time you called them to arrange a return and swap the low end stuff would mysteriously be out of stock but oddly enough they did have x item which was £50 more If you wanted to pay the extra.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Scan.co.uk have always been good when I've ordered from them.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I remember when we were trying to set up our first ADSL router at uni over ten years ago my computer geek housemate picked Dabs and Ebuyer as his top choices. I remember they all sucked even back then though (especially the housemate).

Pedricko
Apr 7, 2008
I got to start work three hours late today because BOMB SCARE

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Yay. I woke up at 4am with a sudden urge to be violently sick all over the place. After a miserable clean up operation I went back to bed shivering. Woke up later with a fever, terrible throat, headaches and more phlegm than a garbage pale kid. :(

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Mongrels live longer no question, but there is a downside to getting a mongrel rescue in that you don't know what the temperament will be like.

--What kind of dog do you have?
--A Labradoodle.
--Oh, a mongrel. Cool.

I will never tire of the reaction this gets.

(Also West Highland Terriers are the best dogs)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I want a dog that I can around both me and m'lady having 9-5 jobs for the foreseeable future but I don't know how to do it :(

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Labradoodles are frucking terrible around kids, because poodles hate kids and they got that part and some. Dull fact: Reason they exist originally wasn't so that posh kids would need stitches but because allergies and disabilities tend to go hand in hand and as they don't moult the labradoodle was bred for this purpose, until they realised that they would drag the blind people along the street so they could bite a kid.

Edit: you can hire people to come to your house and check on and walk your pet for about £5 a visit.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
i want a dog with a short skirt and a loooooooooong jacket

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Edit: you can hire people to come to your house and check on and walk your pet for about £5 a visit.
im worried the dog will end up liking them more than me :(

also we live in a flat so we don't even really have a decent garden for it. Need to get a house first at least, I guess.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

i like labrador retrievers they're silly

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
what sort of dog is most like a cat?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Pedricko posted:

I got to start work three hours late today because BOMB SCARE

Bet the drunk idiot who phoned it in isn't feeling so funny now

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Sort of, most council shelter dogs are put down because people don't know these small independent places exist and go to the well advertised RSPCA shelters instead. You get a nice usually well trained pedigree dog for gently caress all and the dog does not get killed because some cold hearted bastard would rather get a new puppy than pay to get the family pet back.

Morally Inept was a goon who had sex with his dog

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ewwwwww.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I want a dog that I can around both me and m'lady having 9-5 jobs for the foreseeable future but I don't know how to do it :(

Get a cat, cats are better anyway :colbert:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

corn in the fridge posted:

shiba probably

E: meow

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 27, 2015

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

corn in the fridge posted:

a shiba inu, apparently. heard they just don't give a gently caress

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Get a cat, cats are better anyway :colbert:
house cats are ok but they'll never replace dogs for me. I have rats and I love them but it's still not the same :(

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

shiba inu is an anime dog

get an ovcharka to hunt and eat your enemies imo

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If clingy moody sod who acts like he belongs in a RSPCA advert if made to go on a walk is your bag then it's a whippet for you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
cats are bad since im allergic to them and they never leave me alone at other peoples houses.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Border collies are the correct dog

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I just had a half of Brewdog's Cocoa Psycho. It was the most well-balanced 10% beer I've ever had :/

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

I just had a half of Brewdog's Cocoa Psycho. It was the most well-balanced 10% beer I've ever had :/

Brewdog are dicks but cocoa psycho owns. I'm gonna buy some in like ten minutes

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

All the black friday offers seem poo poo tbh

I was going to go visit sausage man but it is raining so gently caress that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

CancerCakes posted:

All the black friday offers seem poo poo tbh

they're

although as mentioned there were some ok whiskey deals. i also picked up some cheap protein powder. hurrah