Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

The dub is really good, especially when it mentions Mimi's little brother or Tai's dog. Or when it changes the soundtrack to garbage. Or even better, when it gives splash sounds to what is very clearly fire.

I don't get why anyone defends this beyond sheer nostalgia. I'm not even that big of an Adventure fan and what that dub did still looks terrible to me.

I can see the rationale for the first two. The dub writers had no idea the show would eventually go on to delve into the kids home lives for real so they figured they had the room to just make poo poo up for the sake of jokes that they never considered would bite them in the rear end.

As for the soundtrack, Saban cheaped out and bought the rights to the video for Digimon, but literally no audio. ...Because Saban is a scummy scummy company.

There was also very poor communication between the dub team at Saban and the production team at Toei in the first season, to the point where when they were casting Gatomon, they assumed she was male and were going to hire a male voice actor, and it was just a matter of luck that the Angewomon episode aired in Japan that week so they had the time to reverse course on that one before it even started.

That said; it is just a pure nostalgia defense when people get their hackles up over the first two seasons' dubs. I tried watching the first episode of Adventure a while back I turned it off before Kuwagamon even showed it. It was kinda godawful, but it also made me appreciate how much everyone on either side of the production process got their poo poo together for Tamers that much more.

Tamers was great.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

nine-gear crow posted:

I can see the rationale for the first two. The dub writers had no idea the show would eventually go on to delve into the kids home lives for real so they figured they had the room to just make poo poo up for the sake of jokes that they never considered would bite them in the rear end.

As for the soundtrack, Saban cheaped out and bought the rights to the video for Digimon, but literally no audio. ...Because Saban is a scummy scummy company.

There was also very poor communication between the dub team at Saban and the production team at Toei in the first season, to the point where when they were casting Gatomon, they assumed she was male and were going to hire a male voice actor, and it was just a matter of luck that the Angewomon episode aired in Japan that week so they had the time to reverse course on that one before it even started.

That said; it is just a pure nostalgia defense when people get their hackles up over the first two seasons' dubs. I tried watching the first episode of Adventure a while back I turned it off before Kuwagamon even showed it. It was kinda godawful, but it also made me appreciate how much everyone on either side of the production process got their poo poo together for Tamers that much more.

Tamers was great.

It was indeed.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't seen Tri yet, but I thought this was cute: https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_nyey5eYuGj1u0ywde.mp4

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

drrockso20 posted:

Currently rewatching through Adventure in Japanese myself right now, and having gone through episode 15 at this point, the main difference between Dub and Original Mimi that I've noticed so far is that JP Mimi is a bit of a weirdo, like her putting sugar and Natto on her eggs, although Jou's even more of one in my opinion, what with his rant about how one only needs salt and pepper for your eggs instead of what the other kids prefer, and indeed he pretty much spent most of the File Island arc teetering on the edge of insanity with his constant insistence that there had to be other humans on the island, hopefully that'll die down now that they are on Server cause it was getting old

Wait, what did they have in the dub if not the great egg talk?

I had seen the latin version when i was a kid, and overall it was pretty much all translated without creative differences, so seeing it in Japanese was odd, but the musical score really freaking got me.
How likely is it for that one track they used when MagnaAngemon showed up gets remixed in Tri?

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
I watched the dubs on TV when they came out, but I can't return to them after hearing the music from the originals. Brave Heart is still far and away my favorite evolution theme.

I really enjoy the fresh remixes of all the music, but the new stuff is good too. The music during the Alphamon fight is wonderfully dramatic! I hope they release an OST CD.

As an aside, the dubs cut a bunch of things in places. There's some violence and situations that were removed from various seasons, so I'd recommend the subs just because they'll be uncut.

Alligator Pie fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 27, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Is Brave Heart what played over the evolution in Tri, cause that was kind of terrible.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The Tamers dub is terrible because it doesn't have the wonderful Card Slash insert song. The jokes are painfully bad and inappropriate too. Like Takato's parents making cringe-worthy 90s pop culture jokes or Ruki sarcastically insulting everyone every 5 seconds. It really doesn't fit with Tamers' restrained mood. It's as crappy as Adventure's dub. You just all have rose-colored goggles.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Killer Queen posted:

The Tamers dub is terrible because it doesn't have the wonderful Card Slash insert song. The jokes are painfully bad and inappropriate too. Like Takato's parents making cringe-worthy 90s pop culture jokes or Ruki sarcastically insulting everyone every 5 seconds. It really doesn't fit with Tamers' restrained mood. It's as crappy as Adventure's dub. You just all have rose-colored goggles.

Oh no my childrens television series is making joke and the sarcastic bitchy ice queen is being a sarcastic bitchy ice queen everything is ruined forever.

Real talk- Dub Guilmon is infinitely superior to original Guilmon and Gallantmon kicks the rear end of Dukemon and his stupid as hell pronoun fuckery.

That's the facts.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

Oh no my childrens television series is making joke and the sarcastic bitchy ice queen is being a sarcastic bitchy ice queen everything is ruined forever.

Real talk- Dub Guilmon is infinitely superior to original Guilmon and Gallantmon kicks the rear end of Dukemon and his stupid as hell pronoun fuckery.

That's the facts.

Original Guilmon is so much better because he believably sounds like a child. That's the whole point of his characterization and the dub just isn't fitting at all there. Dukemon sounds hilariously awesome because it's Guilmon trying his darn best to be an honorable knight. It's simultaneously adorable and badass. While Gallantmon is a super ultra boring generic royal dude. I barely remember what Gallantmon sounds like. His voice is that dull. Zzzzzz.

Digimon Ultimate evolutions are supposed to be their ultimate growth, while still retaining the essence of their personality. Their Ultimate forms having a different voice is completely missing the point and was pure laziness by the dub staff.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Killer Queen posted:

Original Guilmon is so much better because he believably sounds like a child. That's the whole point of his characterization and the dub just isn't fitting at all there. Dukemon sounds hilariously awesome because it's Guilmon trying his best to be an honorable knight. While Gallantmon is a super ultra boring generic royal dude. I barely remember what Gallantmon sounds like. His voice is that dull. Zzzzzz.

Digimon Ultimate evolutions are supposed to be their ultimate growth, while still retaining the essence of their personality. Their Ultimate forms having a different voice is completely missing the point and was just laziness by the dub staff.

Ahahahahahaha

You don't actually remember season 3's dub what so ever and are just shittalking it because it's not the original aren't you?

Like holy poo poo, wow man. Ho-ly poo poo.

Take a second and figure out what you hosed up royal there.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Killer Queen posted:

Digimon Ultimate evolutions are supposed to be their ultimate growth, while still retaining the essence of their personality. Their Ultimate forms having a different voice is completely missing the point and was pure laziness by the dub staff.

I don't think you know how localization works. And this sort of thing just doesn't work in English the same way it does in Japanese. It's the same reason so many westerners find Grandma Goku weird.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I had seen the latin version when i was a kid, and overall it was pretty much all translated without creative differences, so seeing it in Japanese was odd, but the musical score really freaking got me.
How likely is it for that one track they used when MagnaAngemon showed up gets remixed in Tri?

The Latin American translation is absolutely great, having been raised on that as well. Apart from inconsistently using dub names (attacks normally use their Japanese names but characters are referred to by their English ones, for some reason), it kept everything as it was in the original version with no cuts or music replacements (or forced jokes) and it was basically a work of art. At least until Frontier, I have no idea about the dubs for Savers and Xros Wars since I watched those subbed before they even came out of Japan, but considering Going! Going! My soul! was dubbed in Latin American Spanish I'm guessing at least that one kept the same level of quality.

Also I'm guessing you mean this song, which is absolutely great and also a classic song used in Digimon (and not the only one!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4nMjWPYpH4

I'm not sure how many chances there are for that and Bolero to appear, but I goddamn hope they do.

TriffTshngo posted:

I don't think you know how localization works. And this sort of thing just doesn't work in English the same way it does in Japanese. It's the same reason so many westerners find Grandma Goku weird.

Grandma Dukemon, you mean. This is the Digimon thread! And he, Dukemon, was also voiced by Masako Nozawa!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Latin American translation is absolutely great, having been raised on that as well. Apart from inconsistently using dub names (attacks normally use their Japanese names but characters are referred to by their English ones, for some reason), it kept everything as it was in the original version with no cuts or music replacements (or forced jokes) and it was basically a work of art. At least until Frontier, I have no idea about the dubs for Savers and Xros Wars since I watched those subbed before they even came out of Japan, but considering Going! Going! My soul! was dubbed in Latin American Spanish I'm guessing at least that one kept the same level of quality.

Also I'm guessing you mean this song, which is absolutely great and also a classic song used in Digimon (and not the only one!):

I'm not sure how many chances there are for that and Bolero to appear, but I goddamn hope they do.

Grandma Dukemon, you mean. This is the Digimon thread! And he, Dukemon, was also voiced by Masako Nozawa!

Concierto de Aranjuez, yes, it's so loving cool. It and Bolero were totally the best tracks along with Brave Heart and Butter-Fly

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Killer Queen posted:

Original Guilmon is so much better because he believably sounds like a child. That's the whole point of his characterization and the dub just isn't fitting at all there. Dukemon sounds hilariously awesome because it's Guilmon trying his darn best to be an honorable knight. It's simultaneously adorable and badass. While Gallantmon is a super ultra boring generic royal dude. I barely remember what Gallantmon sounds like. His voice is that dull. Zzzzzz.

dukemon more like dookiemon

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Real talk- The gently caress is going to require Magna Angemon's beautiful over powered self to show up?

Like, we're rapidly approaching a reality where Omnimon appears more than him. That's amazing and insane

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Rodyle posted:

Is Brave Heart what played over the evolution in Tri, cause that was kind of terrible.

It's better with vocals, but I liked the instrumental too. :shobon:

Killer Queen posted:

Yes! Evo is pretty awesome too. I haven't seen the dub since it aired on TV, so I've mostly forgotten it. I think that's probably for the best.

Can someone please try to sell me on Savers? After Frontier, which I didn't like at all because it was missing the friendships between Digimon and their Partners, I had high hopes for it.

Masaru's Agumon was too cute with the Aniki stuff, but then I just got so tired of Masaru leaping 20 feet into the air to punch poo poo. I know Digimon isn't all about realism, but come on! Really?

I rage quit after the perfect blonde half French walking trope cliché showed up.

I really wanted to like it, so please tell me why I should give it another chance.

Alligator Pie fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 27, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cheese Pain posted:

Can someone please try to sell me on Savers? After Frontier, which I didn't like at all because it was missing the friendships between Digimon and their Partners, I had high hopes for it.

Masaru's Agumon was too cute with the Aniki stuff, but then I just got so tired of Masaru leaping 20 feet into the air to punch poo poo. I know Digimon isn't all about realism, but come on! Really?

I rage quit after the perfect blonde half French walking trope cliché showed up.

I really wanted to like it, so please tell me why I should give it another chance.

Touma is definitely not perfect and his flaws actually drive the plot forward later on with several mistakes but also heavy character development, both by himself, with his teammates, and even with his enemies and family.
All four mains not only gets to Mega but also to the over-Mega stage normally reserved exclusively for the protagonist (even in Tamers with Crimson Mode) and all keep some importance during the series even when it becomes mostly Masaru/Touma-centric.
It has the best human villain Digimon has ever seen, and this is coming from someone who considers Ken one of the best characters in Digimon in general.
It has nearly all the Royal Knights appear, as the Royal Knights, how loving cool is that? Even X-Evolution, which also had the RKs as a group, only had four of them.
There's several cool Digimon-human stories even beyond the main cast. Much like Tamers, minor characters also get Digimon of their own and get to do cool stuff with them. This includes the manliest pink thing you'll see in your life.
It has actually competent and important adults with Digimon partners of their own, who are important during most if not all of the story.
Hirari is a top-tier opening. Gouing! Going! My Soul! is also good.
Masaru's punches only get more ridiculous with time, which makes them easier to ignore because it is AWESOME, and it also means we have a human who is fully able to help in combat instead of being a goddamn cheerleader.
It uses Frontier's concept of humans turning into Digimon far better than Frontier itself did. But then again, it's not hard to be better than Frontier.

I don't know what more I can tell you. Savers is a great show, watch it, the beginning can be sort of boring but once you hit episode 13 or so (the RizeGreymon episode) it gets much better and basically never stops being awesome. And Tamers is just as guilty of a bad start (even worse, really) and it is the best Digimon show, so that's clearly not a big issue.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I don't know what to tell you if you don't care for a dude punching a Drimogemon in it's dumb face. And Banchou Leomon.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cheese Pain posted:

It's better with vocals, but I liked the instrumental too. :shobon:

Felt the exact opposite, they lost me the moment the vocals kicked in :shrug:

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Cheese Pain posted:

Yo, did someone order a defense of Savers?

Alright, here's the thing; Savers is basically the anti-Tamers. Whereas Tamers was a low-key, fairly dark show about a group of kids banding together to survive as both the adults (ie the government) and envoys from the digital world itself were trying to break them apart from eachother, Savers is fundamentally a hot-blooded adventure story about a group of kids growing up to become those adults in the first place. For a parallel reason toTakato being a scared, but kind, cry baby, Masaru is a belligerent thug who refuses to not punch giant chickens in the face, but also has the daring necessary to initiate change. This is because the primary question facing the characters in Tamers is "When is it right to fight? How do I get the courage to do so?", whereas the primary question in Savers is "When is violence not the proper solution? What happens when a problem arrives that my fists can't solve?"

All this to say that you should definitely expect the power dynamic in Savers to be different. Masaru, and the characters in general, rarely face adversity that's solely the result of a enemy standing against them. Masaru can, and indeed will, punch any independent foe set against him directly in the face. Instead, the real conflict of Savers comes from circumstance and the inevitable clash of outlooks; hence why the first major villain of Savers isn't Devimon, who presents an antagonistic force merely by being evil and powerful, but Merukimon; an actual political operator of the digital world who opposes the actions of the main characters because what he sees as the best interests of his world don't necessarily align with those of the human world. This is an interesting way to present a digimon show! It presents the opportunity for the physical conflict that is the show's bread and butter, minimizes the Frontier effect of the team getting the poo poo kicked out of them every time in order to justify keeping around a powerful enemy, and provides the opportunity for a more nuanced dramatic progression for the show.

Like Tamers, Savers employs a restricted cast of main characters (a trio, as you saw). I'm not sure what exactly about Touma pissed you off, but he is a rather well-rounded character, if a transparent foil to Masaru. Since Savers has that smaller cast, they can afford to do a lot more character building than most seasons, and indeed Savers is one of the shows where this is rather directly relevant to the plot. One of my favorite parts of Savers is the focus on family relations; not only does Masaru's family become an actual part of the story almost immediately (through a pretty funny parody of Takato's hiding of guilmon), but family forms a consistent theme that runs throughout the show, with each of the protagonists having a clearly formative upbringing that influences their goals and ideals. That metaphor is then drawn further, to ideas of what people will do to protect their families, to how far one will go to protect the ones they love, even to how being too self-involved in one's own family can lead to becoming a monster as you otherize people outside of that circle.

Ultimately, though, I think the best part of Savers is the villains. The show works hard to show compassion even to the antagonists, humanizing them in ways that you generally don't see in the other seasons. Beyond the villain-of-the-day one-offs, there isn't a single villain who's actions aren't understandable; even the ones closest to evil were clearly driven there by factors not entirely within their control. I enjoy villains who you can understand, even if you might not symapthise with their way of viewing things. It's, again, another level of nuance. There are actually rather few villains of Savers that are describable as 'evil'.

Also, punching kaiju in the face will never not be entertaining. Thinking otherwise is an incorrect opinion.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Latin American dub was simply the best, I still have the VHS where I taped the series directly from TV, good times. The Savers dub was also pretty good although having seen the series in japanese first was a little odd to hear the localized names. Oh and they added the classic "raspy" effect to the digimon's voices, making it sound really weird.

Back to song talk, what was the song used for Piedmon? I always liked the way it conveyed the "poo poo just got real" feeling.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

I like parts of Tri, but the main thing it made me want to do was rewatch the Our War Games part of the Digimon Movie. gently caress man Hosoda is a digi-god.

Tri also feels weirdly empty, but I can't tell if that's because budget, weird scale stuff (I can't tell what's going on with the background and people sometimes, everything feels weirdly empty even when it's supposed to be crowded, it's so much quieter than I'm used to) but I can't tell if that's just the Japanese treatment since I've only ever watched the insanely lull-destructive dubs. Is it normal not to call your attacks in Japanese? I didn't realise how used I was to digimon aimlessly yelling HOWLING WOLF BLAST or PEPPER BREATH in every fight until I watched this.

Good god the fights though. Apart from Greymon v Parrotmon this is the first time I've felt like these motherfuckers were straight-up Kaiju. Terrifying.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

That's nothing to do with language or localization, that's just surprise at the huge difference between the two VAs.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Jintor posted:

Tri also feels weirdly empty, but I can't tell if that's because budget, weird scale stuff (I can't tell what's going on with the background and people sometimes, everything feels weirdly empty even when it's supposed to be crowded, it's so much quieter than I'm used to) but I can't tell if that's just the Japanese treatment since I've only ever watched the insanely lull-destructive dubs. Is it normal not to call your attacks in Japanese? I didn't realise how used I was to digimon aimlessly yelling HOWLING WOLF BLAST or PEPPER BREATH in every fight until I watched this.

Nah, they do it in the Japanese too. They've always called attacks a lot less in movies, though, which is probably why they don't call them here either; it's generally done when they use the stock footage for attacks, which obviously movies try not to do (since they aren't trying to save cash on every scene like the show is).

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Thank you for the really thoughtful responses. Seriously, you made great points and I'm actually looking forward to trying that season again.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hirari is a top-tier opening. Gouing! Going! My Soul! is also good.

I have actually heard Hirari and forgot it's one of my favorite Digimon songs, period. Best Wada Koji song overall, I think.

Classy Hydra posted:

This is because the primary question facing the characters in Tamers is "When is it right to fight? How do I get the courage to do so?", whereas the primary question in Savers is "When is violence not the proper solution? What happens when a problem arrives that my fists can't solve?"

This actually made me laugh while I was reading it. I'm not sure why the punching annoyed me so much, but who can say? It was almost ten years ago. I'm the jerk who punches everyone without remorse in video games, so you'd think I'd have appreciated it. :shrug:

I'll give it another shot. Thank you both again!

Kind of random, but I think what I loved about Tamers is that it was dark. I was going to say that it was darker than the preceding series, which were more cartoonish, lively, and colorful, but 02 had an antagonist whose ambitions were the death of his Digimon partner amongst other things.

But at the time, I still felt like Tamers was nothing I'd seen before. I don't know if it had an influence on me, but these days I actually have a preference for dark shows with twists.

This thread is great. I've been a huge Digimon fan for years and haven't really gotten to discuss it with anyone else like this. :3:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cheese Pain posted:

Kind of random, but I think what I loved about Tamers is that it was dark. I was going to say that it was darker than the preceding series, which were more cartoonish, lively, and colorful, but 02 had an antagonist whose ambitions were the death of his Digimon partner amongst other things.

no-one really seems to treat genocide as the horrible thing it is in 02, while Tamers has a character monologue about committing suicide and the show actually bothers saying that's hosed up. you're right, 02 should be considered darker for that, but since nobody cares about the characters no-one cares about what they do either.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Cheese Pain posted:

Darkness is more of a motif and atmosphere thing than specifically related to plot details (see the Dark Ocean episodes for a good example of how to pull off a mood without anything especially depressing actually happening, for instance), but uh, if you like the show reaching for surprisingly bleak material... you'll probably be pretty happy with Savers once you get later into the season.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mandatory lesbian posted:

no-one really seems to treat genocide as the horrible thing it is in 02, while Tamers has a character monologue about committing suicide and the show actually bothers saying that's hosed up. you're right, 02 should be considered darker for that, but since nobody cares about the characters no-one cares about what they do either.

One person does, and it is insanely heart-breaking.

Ken is literally the only good thing that came out of 02, is what I'm trying to say.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://gematsu.com/2015/11/digimon-world-next-order-details-luce-taomon-gallantmon-crimson-mode-more

New character announced for Digimon World: Next Order. A little blonde girl named Luce.

Red Herring or we're going the SMT route?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

http://gematsu.com/2015/11/digimon-world-next-order-details-luce-taomon-gallantmon-crimson-mode-more

New character announced for Digimon World: Next Order. A little blonde girl named Luce.

Red Herring or we're going the SMT route?

That was actually in a scan that came out in October. Judging from the katakana in that scan the girl's name is probably something closer to Rouche or Louche, so I don't think there's any Louissa Ferre stuff going on here.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Blaze Dragon posted:

One person does, and it is insanely heart-breaking.

Ken is literally the only good thing that came out of 02, is what I'm trying to say.

Even that's only for a few episodes. 02's biggest sin is that there's absolutely no tension or stakes. Ken's already taken over the Digital World, but why do any of the new children care? The original chosen didn't really care about anything but getting home, but since they were trapped there they became involved in the struggles of the world. As well, they couldn't go home and were constantly hunted, and even when they did leave the digital world just went and got FUBAR'd to the point they had to go back. In tamers, the digimon attacks are happening in the real world, so there's no way to escape them, and when they finally go to the Digital World, it's because they want to save someone they've grown close to as a friend.

In 02? They just seem to go there because why not go there? And they can leave at any time! And not once in all the stressful situations where they almost died do any of them treat it like a stressful situation where they almost died. Ken has his small breakdown for a few episodes but then once he's apart of the cast he's just as no stakes as the rest of them. Hell the stakes are further diluted during the World Tour arc when you learn that every continent basically has Chosen Children, so there was no real need to travel the world blowing up towers anyway.

02's lack of tension in a nutshell. The protagonists fail to defeat any villain after Ken until BelialVamdemon. each of those villains is taken out by another villain. Yet the show has absolutely no tension.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Season 2 is really remarkable for how it can be studied for What Not To Do In Children's Programming.

It is toyetic to a fault early on, it hyper focuses on the lead hero to the exclusion of all others- even Ken stops mattering after his very brief redemption arc and it just becomes the Davis Show where Ken is only needed so Davis can become Vegito- the animation is NOT an improvement over season 1 which is just an awful thing, the story is a confused, seething mess that could and should have been great...

Even on the basic levels of story telling it's not great.

Like, Code Lyoko and Digimon Season 2 have the same kind of story telling engine, where a group of kids go into a digital world whenever they want to deal with stuff- and Code Lyoko was the far superior story for it. Mind, I am not a fan of Code Lyoko- I barely remember watching the show now, but I remember the general set up. Evil computer thing causes trouble in the real world, they have to go into the digital world to stop it.

Season 2 treated the Digital World as a game, as did the heroes, pretty much just like Ken did. Only unlike Ken, they cared about it as little as they possibly could.

Being able to come and go whenever they wanted was one of the worst mistakes season 2 made especially with what they did with it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Hi, I liked Digimon a shitload as a kid, saw an ad for Tri on Crunchyroll and just binged that.

So...what's the deal with the near lack of 02 stuff in Tri? Maybe that's just coming in the later movies/episodes?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
maybe jivjov, if you took the time to read any of the last few posts, you'd realize why 02 isn't gonna get much love

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mandatory lesbian posted:

maybe jivjov, if you took the time to read any of the last few posts, you'd realize why 02 isn't gonna get much love

Yeah; I only went back about 2 pages, which were mostly dub/sub chat and first impressions of tri.

That said, I've been chatting with burkion and apparently 02 is just not well loved by critics and Japanese fans? Kinda sucks; my childhood memories of 02 is that the storytelling was way better in 02 than the first season.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

jivjov posted:

Yeah; I only went back about 2 pages, which were mostly dub/sub chat and first impressions of tri.

That said, I've been chatting with burkion and apparently 02 is just not well loved by critics and Japanese fans? Kinda sucks; my childhood memories of 02 is that the storytelling was way better in 02 than the first season.

Your memories are liars. 02 had its moments, but overall, it really dropped the ball on writing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Geostomp posted:

Your memories are liars. 02 had its moments, but overall, it really dropped the ball on writing.

Yeah, more excerpts from my offsite chat; most of my Season 1 memories are from the really early bits when it was super formulaic and episodic (everyone getting their first digivolution). I'm just gonna have to sit down and watch the seasons again.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

Season 2 is really remarkable for how it can be studied for What Not To Do In Children's Programming.

It is toyetic to a fault early on, it hyper focuses on the lead hero to the exclusion of all others- even Ken stops mattering after his very brief redemption arc and it just becomes the Davis Show where Ken is only needed so Davis can become Vegito- the animation is NOT an improvement over season 1 which is just an awful thing, the story is a confused, seething mess that could and should have been great...

Even on the basic levels of story telling it's not great.

Like, Code Lyoko and Digimon Season 2 have the same kind of story telling engine, where a group of kids go into a digital world whenever they want to deal with stuff- and Code Lyoko was the far superior story for it. Mind, I am not a fan of Code Lyoko- I barely remember watching the show now, but I remember the general set up. Evil computer thing causes trouble in the real world, they have to go into the digital world to stop it.

Season 2 treated the Digital World as a game, as did the heroes, pretty much just like Ken did. Only unlike Ken, they cared about it as little as they possibly could.

Being able to come and go whenever they wanted was one of the worst mistakes season 2 made especially with what they did with it.

Yeah Adventure and Code Lyoko are kinda opposites in that regard, Season 1 of CL was a boring repetitive episodic mess(didn't help that the main characters couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag back then), it improved massively in it's later seasons(well not counting that weird revival with Live Action used for the Real World scenes, that one is supposed to be a boring mess that ends on a cliffhanger and ruins the ending of the original series in the process)

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Every character in Code Lyoko looked like they had downs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I dunno why people say there's no 02 stuff in tri. They make a lot of references to stuff from it; even more than Adventure.