Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

BMan posted:

Ahahaha, they're actually afraid to say Derek Smart

I'm still insanely confused that any of them actually give a poo poo about Derek Smart. Like I've been reading this thread for like a month now and every once and a while it's still like wow, what the gently caress is wrong with these people lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

G0RF posted:

PSA: Sales tracking numbers.

They seem on target for a better anniversary sale yield than last year's, with a chance at besting 2013's anniversary take, too. But beating last November's total revenue number might take a little extra juicing since the baseline was so much lower pre-sale...

So-- anyone else here expect CIG to roll out yet another "never to be sold again" surprise in the last 3 days?

I don't think so, they've said they have enough money to finish the game already.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Iglocska posted:

By golly, this game sure attracts some real weirdos...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This is what an alpha looks like for Behavior Interactive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQgELu6-c50

This is what an alpha looks like for Ubisoft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mAMEoJFTcw

This is what an alpha looks like for Cloud Imperium Games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxsWHqk_t78

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, the loving turrets take like 15 seconds to do a full rotation. So much fun to be had!

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Keep an open mind and buy Star Citizen, just try it you might like it even though it is irredeemable lovely poo poo

Are you sure? I'm down with any game where I can become fake rich, since my life with depression left me with zero ambition. Help me Dancey-Cat, you're the only one I trust. :smith:

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Having purchased the final retail version of heroes 7 on launch, let's talk about ubisoft and what they consider to be alpha...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MilesK posted:

Are you sure? I'm down with any game where I can become fake rich, since my life with depression left me with zero ambition. Help me Dancey-Cat, you're the only one I trust. :smith:

You should spend hundreds of dollars on a psychiatrist instead of hundreds of dollars on jpegs, imo.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Isn't "he who should not be named" a Harry Potter thing? Also didn't Croberts himself mention D_Smart by name?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

"Heh. Yeah, well they are only in year 3 of development while most AAA games take 6 years. Don't listen to 'he who should not be named.'"

*dips cracker into buffalo chicken dip while the Eagles are destroyed in the background*

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MilesK posted:

It's crap

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Iglocska posted:

Having purchased the final retail version of heroes 7 on launch, let's talk about ubisoft and what they consider to be alpha...

Sure, but then why bring up something developed by Limbic Entertainment?

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Dang. Oh well, other Videogames in the sea and all. Thanks for your time.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Decrepus posted:

"Heh. Yeah, well they are only in year 3 of development while most AAA games take 6 years. Don't listen to 'he who should not be named.'"

*dips cracker into buffalo chicken dip while the Eagles are destroyed in the background*

That loving team, I swear.

Way to ruin my Thanksgiving, Chip.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I feel like a new man

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MilesK posted:

Dang. Oh well, other Videogames in the sea and all. Thanks for your time.

No, I'd still buy it, I love it, honestly.
Every time I play it I guffaw like Brian Blessed

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I want to take a moment to thank Chris Roberts for giving us this amazing Verse to explore and experience.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

peter gabriel posted:

I feel like a new man

My only regret is that you will no longer sync with jinkies Velma.

But what is life without new experiences.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dusty Lens posted:

My only regret is that you will no longer sync with jinkies Velma.

But what is life without new experiences.

This brings up the exciting question of which new people I may sync up with though, ooooh!

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is what an alpha looks like for Behavior Interactive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQgELu6-c50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mAMEoJFTcw

This is what an alpha looks like for Cloud Imperium Games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxsWHqk_t78

This is what the doom alpha looks like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfe7V-_3r0

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

kordansk posted:

What is their obsession with Restoration Hardware anyway? It is extremely overpriced furniture that you can easily google and laugh at their bad decisions.

Retro hipster chic is trending this year. Why pay the prcie of some heritage quality maple that going to gain in value as it ages when you can have snazzy pre-dented aluminium instead ? I wonder how many shirts where damaged by having a thread caugt in the numerous exposed screws of that coffe table.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

D_Smart posted:

It's all true. I've had way too many first hand accounting for there to be any shred of doubt in my mind. That aside from The Escapise own digging.

The sad reality is that even the people are there, RIGHT NOW, hate her guts. But people have lives, family etc and need their jobs; so naturally poo poo-talking your boss in public, or to the wrong person who could leak it, is not a good path forward.

She is the cancer of this entire project.

I don't like to diss on Sandi too much because extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and, aside from the weird-rear end meltdown at CitCon and her blatantly weird behavior on camera, none of the rumors about her have ever really been substantiated. I'm not saying I doubt them, particularly, but I won't jump on the bandwagon until I see more confirmation than anonymous sources and vague references.

But let's posit for a minute that all of it is true- she is the Yoko of this project and nearly every management gently caress-up can ultimately be laid at her doorstep- the loss of Wingman, the move to Santa Monica, the endless mocap and giant waste of cash that is the cast list, the unbelievably callous and exploitative marketing decisions, on and on. The question on my mind is- how much more damage can she possibly do? Assuming Chris never comes to his senses and fires her, because all sentiment from the community filters through her (so largely doesn't get to him), can she actually destroy the entire thing? To what end, as far as she's concerned? My impression is that she's about 2/3rds checked out of this whole loving thing now, spending more time on the auditioning for podunk-rear end acting parts than she does ruining the 100-million-dollar company that could have been her actual ticket to fame. Assuming she's as bad as everybody's said- is that really reason to declare the whole project doomed?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I think Sandi is a sideshow because however terrible she is it doesn't really mater, Chris is the CEO and in the end it's all on him.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

No, I'd still buy it, I love it, honestly.
Every time I play it I guffaw like Brian Blessed

Sold! Now the only question is, the $3,000 pack or the $15,000 pack. Just kidding, clearly the $15,000 pack is the superior deal. Thanks again!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I will play the game soon again, how do I check if I am in the PTU or whatever it is called?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

I will play the game soon again, how do I check if I am in the PTU or whatever it is called?

In the PTU the space gonorrhea doesn't go away when you log off crash.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MeLKoR posted:

In the PTU the space gonorrhea doesn't go away when you log off crash.

I must be in then :v:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I'm still in awe that they were able to do all this with only 4 years and 90+ million dollars. Simply amazing.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
This reminds me, does CIG plan to include a mechanism for something like the flu? In such confined spaces with everybody breathing the same air the flu would spread like wildfire. If you were infected it could for example impair your performance a bit while flying or in FPS. There could be epidemics of different strengths and there could be a whole level of gameplay involving transport and piracy of medicines, etc. The research ships could also be involved in coming up with new medicines to manufacture and you could have research mini games involving mixing different ingredients for testing and manufacturing. And gene modification but that's a given.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
It's so disappointing when I get into a car while playing GTA and it's all over in a second or two. Where's the fifteen second high fidelity entrance animation? Important actions such as adjusting the seat or checking the mirrors or buckling in are all glossed over so carelessly.

And when my character dies and respawns at the hospital, lazy Rockstar just plops him down outside on the street. They missed such an obvious opportunity to have a twenty second animation of Michael slowly getting up from the hospital bed, and then allowing you to walk down several hallways and hit ^USE^ on multiple doors, and what is life without half a minute spent activating and waiting on both sides of an airlock!?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MeLKoR posted:

This reminds me, does CIG plan to include a mechanism for something like the flu? In such confined spaces with everybody breathing the same air the flu would spread like wildfire. If you were infected it could for example impair your performance a bit while flying or in FPS. There could be epidemics of different strengths and there could be a whole level of gameplay involving transport and piracy of medicines, etc. The research ships could also be involved in coming up with new medicines to manufacture and you could have research mini games involving mixing different ingredients for testing and manufacturing. And gene modification but that's a given.

Common sense says: no
Chris say: 2 weeks

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't like to diss on Sandi too much because extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and, aside from the weird-rear end meltdown at CitCon and her blatantly weird behavior on camera, none of the rumors about her have ever really been substantiated. I'm not saying I doubt them, particularly, but I won't jump on the bandwagon until I see more confirmation than anonymous sources and vague references.

But let's posit for a minute that all of it is true- she is the Yoko of this project and nearly every management gently caress-up can ultimately be laid at her doorstep- the loss of Wingman, the move to Santa Monica, the endless mocap and giant waste of cash that is the cast list, the unbelievably callous and exploitative marketing decisions, on and on. The question on my mind is- how much more damage can she possibly do? Assuming Chris never comes to his senses and fires her, because all sentiment from the community filters through her (so largely doesn't get to him), can she actually destroy the entire thing? To what end, as far as she's concerned? My impression is that she's about 2/3rds checked out of this whole loving thing now, spending more time on the auditioning for podunk-rear end acting parts than she does ruining the 100-million-dollar company that could have been her actual ticket to fame. Assuming she's as bad as everybody's said- is that really reason to declare the whole project doomed?

Those are very good points.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Now I wanna play Pandemic on an MMO setting.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Derek you seem to be spending less time on SA these last couple weeks. Something big in the works?

Oh I'm here. It's just that I have a LOT* of stuff going on. Which is why when I do a forum pass, I scan all missed pages, then respond to the relevant ones; then take off.

- Line Of Defense MMO approaching a very critical milestone (aircraft!) public release
- Universal Combat CE v3.0 DLC upgrade just wrapped up the last major bug fix and going dark until 2016 for the first major graphics update
- Line Of Defense Tactics launching on XBox One in two (!) weeks
- In negotiations for my 2018 project (it's going to shock a lot of people when it's announced. Hint: It's not my IP)
- Trolling Star Citizen White Knights
- Planning the legal end game for this whole Star Citizen farce with various legal strategies (all aimed at getting financial accountability, no-questions-asked refunds, ship date)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

Probably owned by a friend.

Yeah, that's the theory as well. Either a friend or some sort of contact, because NOTHING else would warrant a crowd-funded company spending that kind of money on such furniture.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

You get an invite email. Then when you launch the client you can select the Setup (upper right, looks like a gear) and do 'Copy Account' to create a PTU account. It will email you once this is completed. It kinda works similar to the WoW PTU in that regard. Once your account is copied, you can click on the PTU option on the left side of the client and then launch it after it finishes patching.

Right now since they added 50k more users, it's lasting about 10-30 minutes between server disconnects. I've been learning how to move and things. I haven't played since AC 0.9, so there's a whole lot of changes to get used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

I think Sandi is a sideshow because however terrible she is it doesn't really mater, Chris is the CEO and in the end it's all on him.
Yeah, Chris was loving up in exactly the same way well before he had Sandi in his life.

Lets try not to scapegoat her too much, even without her this project would still be a clusterfuck.

Chin posted:

And when my character dies and respawns at the hospital, lazy Rockstar just plops him down outside on the street. They missed such an obvious opportunity to have a twenty second animation of Michael slowly getting up from the hospital bed, and then allowing you to walk down several hallways and hit ^USE^ on multiple doors, and what is life without half a minute spent activating and waiting on both sides of an airlock!?
You forgot to press USE to sign yourself out, they don't just let you walk out of hospital.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 28, 2015

• Locked thread