Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Planning the legal endgame? It's 3 days till December which you keep reminding us is the day where CIG will have unequivocally blown it for the original backers, shouldn't you be past the planning stage by now?

IANAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

You get an invite email. Then when you launch the client you can select the Setup (upper right, looks like a gear) and do 'Copy Account' to create a PTU account. It will email you once this is completed. It kinda works similar to the WoW PTU in that regard. Once your account is copied, you can click on the PTU option on the left side of the client and then launch it after it finishes patching.

Right now since they added 50k more users, it's lasting about 10-30 minutes between server disconnects. I've been learning how to move and things. I haven't played since AC 0.9, so there's a whole lot of changes to get used to.

Huh, they seem to have not emailed me or anything.
Ah well.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

gently caress yes

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Oh I'm here. It's just that I have a LOT* of stuff going on. Which is why when I do a forum pass, I scan all missed pages, then respond to the relevant ones; then take off.

- Line Of Defense MMO approaching a very critical milestone (aircraft!) public release
- Universal Combat CE v3.0 DLC upgrade just wrapped up the last major bug fix and going dark until 2016 for the first major graphics update
- Line Of Defense Tactics launching on XBox One in two (!) weeks
- In negotiations for my 2018 project (it's going to shock a lot of people when it's announced. Hint: It's not my IP)
- Trolling Star Citizen White Knights
- Planning the legal end game for this whole Star Citizen farce with various legal strategies (all aimed at getting financial accountability, no-questions-asked refunds, ship date)

Well I'm glad to hear you've got irons in the fire, but I mean "legal end game" seems like something you should have had going a while ago. Also, did are you buying the Wing Commander IP? That would be great.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

I'm a strong proponent of posting jpegs like those there.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

Beet Wagon posted:

Also, did are you buying the Wing Commander IP? That would be great.

Hoooleeeeee poo poo. Can you imagine? Like just imagine what that would do to the internet. That made me cum hands free just thinking about what that would do to people.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

Huh, they seem to have not emailed me or anything.
Ah well.

It seems the latest 50,000 invites were based on the account creation date for the RSI website. If you go on the RSI webpage and login, click on MY RSI and then click on your user name. That'll show you the join number: UEE Citizen Record #

It's based on your account sign-up date, not on purchase. A week or so before the GDC presentation where SC was announced, a website was created that allowed users to create accounts: http://www.gdconf.com/news/gdc_online/wing_commanders_chris_roberts_.html

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I finally watched her weird speech. What is the deal with her accent? I'm assuming she's getting practice with an American accent to get more acting opportunities, but why would you do that on stage in front of the public at your job? That's something you should do with your friends in your free time.

Drugs?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

It seems the latest 50,000 invites were based on the account creation date for the RSI website. If you go on the RSI webpage and login, click on MY RSI and then click on your user name. That'll show you the join number: UEE Citizen Record #

It's based on your account sign-up date, not on purchase. A week or so before the GDC presentation where SC was announced, a website was created that allowed users to create accounts: http://www.gdconf.com/news/gdc_online/wing_commanders_chris_roberts_.html

Thanks

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
"I grew up making video games. I sold my first game at the age of 13 and created Wing Commander when I was 21. But 10 years ago, at the height of my career I took a break. Not because I stopped loving or playing games but because I had become frustrated with the limits of the technology at the time to realize my vision," he said.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Iglocska posted:

By golly, this game sure attracts some real weirdos...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

"I grew up making video games. I sold my first game at the age of 13 and created Wing Commander when I was 21. But 10 years ago, at the height of my career I took a break. Not because I stopped loving or playing games but because I had become frustrated with the limits of the technology at the time to realize my vision," he said.

I think the stars aren't quite right yet, once again he'll fall into a long dream but one day he'll return from the deep.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

I'm full of useless historic information :)

That was the same year I finally got into the GDC Vault and got access to GDC talks. I had wanted to see the Bungie AI presentations for years. Of course, once I did that, I never made much use of it because I'm an idiot. Years later, I spend a lot of free time watching idiots play games badly. How times change.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

peter gabriel posted:

I had to google this to see if you were making a niggerstomper58 parody post.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

D_Smart posted:

It's all true. I've had way too many first hand accounting for there to be any shred of doubt in my mind. That aside from The Escapise own digging.

The sad reality is that even the people are there, RIGHT NOW, hate her guts. But people have lives, family etc and need their jobs; so naturally poo poo-talking your boss in public, or to the wrong person who could leak it, is not a good path forward.

She is the cancer of this entire project.

As I've said before, I don't hate Chris as all. He's just an incompetent dreamer. I do not believe - for one second - that he set out to scam anyone. I stand firmly on that belief as I've said in my blogs. However, life happens and people end up in some situations whereby you have to wonder how they get influenced into doing stupid poo poo. You know, like Hollywood.

I dont buy in the "Single point of human failure" theory. You need a whole team of enablers and disfunctional managers to produce so little in the time they had considering the ammount of money they received. Sandi might be the pubic face of the whole 'verse, but by no way is she responsible of everything wrong at CIG. I beleive what we are observing is similar to really poor people winning big at the lottery. 80% of them end back in poverty after 5 years, the money spent in golden toilets and novelty truck nuts.

They planned for a 2 million game, probably hoping for 3 but somehow a combination of early kickstarter success, drought of good PC exclusive and old fans finally having decent jobs produced the golden whale of unending blubber. Now they have no idea how to manage such grand vision, no idea how to transition from a "funding" to an "operation" financial model and are building up engineering debt with every new ships instead of nailing down the core elements.

I dont have access to a trove of information like M. Smart (Thank you for a rage inducing week-end trying to make Battlecruiser 3000AD run on my first Pentium 20 years ago) but i cant beleive everything would have been fine without Sandi around. She may be queen bee of the CIG hive, but she need the willing drones to carry her.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 28, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

aleksendr posted:

I dont buy in the "Single point of human failure" theory. You need a whole team of enablers and disfunctional managers to produce so little in the time they had considering the ammount of money they received.

I'm not saying I disagree with you but when Ben gets stuck in the front doors to the office it's a full day wasted getting him out

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Speaking of single points of failure, have we heard any more about the poor dev with the broken wrists?

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah, it's an interesting thing to see that and look at what 2.0 is. I remember him talking about how he had always wanted to do something on the scope of BattleCruiser, that is, open, ship and FPS combat universe, but to get his games shipped they had to cut down to what the PCs of the time could do.

Ramble time: Then they kinda took this weird tangent into doing multimedia stuff for WC3 and WC4, which I never enjoyed. I preferred the narrative presentation style of the LucasArts X-Wing and Tie-Fighter games, where the majority of the story happened in real time in the missions as you were doing them. It was a long time before I encountered a game with a story I enjoyed to the same degree that I liked Tie Fighter. TF was focused on a narrative that was directly related to the gameplay, it was all about logistics, ship design, secret shipments, and betrayal, all presented in mission where the scope of the combat changed based on the ongoing story and your completion of different bonus objectives. Wing Commander would go off on the more heavy-handed cutscene tactic that was coming in-vogue, while games like FreeSpace took what Tie Fighter did (with a far less interesting story) and progressed by making the missions able to branch and choices carry over from mission to mission. A capital ship lost in one mission would make the following mission far more difficult.

It would be basically a full decade before game writing and stories managed to be worthwhile of the overblown cutscenes, and it's still the case that the majority of them are terrible (see most EA games, Halo and Destiny, WoW, etc). Those that stand out, BioWare RPGs, Witcher, Last of Us, are still rare.

I've gotten to the point, that in some games, I just skip cutscenes. That's what I've been doing in AC: Syndicate, as the narrative is meaningless. Nothing that happens in your gameplay matters the slightest to the story line, and the characters and their arcs are not interesting or compelling enough to be worth watching, unlike Last of Us.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

I'm not saying I disagree with you but when Ben gets stuck in the front doors to the office it's a full day wasted getting him out

I am quoting this because it is funny and also true.

Banditloaf, YLLS exists and can help you. Not just with the obesity either. Dress yourself.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

But where does the rug end and the catte begin?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
So it's been a few hundred pages since I've provided some tips on smoking meat, so here's one.

There are a variety of woods that you can use for the purpose: Apple, Mesquite, Pecan, etc. If you're just starting, however, I'd recommend Alder. Alder is much more muted in intensity than some of the heartier woods (especially Mesquite, mesquite is bullshit). It also pairs really well with fish and chicken. Once you get accustomed to smoking effectively and have your technique down, consider moving onto other woods, or even blends! Pecan, for instance, pairs well with Mesquite (which is bullshit).

Stay tuned for more tips!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tooterfish posted:

But where does the rug end and the catte begin?

There is something special and creepy about this cat

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

So it's been a few hundred pages since I've provided some tips on smoking meat, so here's one.

There are a variety of woods that you can use for the purpose: Apple, Mesquite, Pecan, etc. If you're just starting, however, I'd recommend Alder. Alder is much more muted in intensity than some of the heartier woods (especially Mesquite, mesquite is bullshit). It also pairs really well with fish and chicken. Once you get accustomed to smoking effectively and have your technique down, consider moving onto other woods, or even blends! Pecan, for instance, pairs well with Mesquite (which is bullshit).

Alder is also good for making guitar bodies, a very versatile wood indeed one might say

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

aleksendr posted:

They planned for a 2 million game, probably hoping for 3 but somehow a combination of early kickstarter success, drought of good PC exclusive and old fans finally having decent jobs produced the golden whale of unending blubber. Now they have no idea how to manage such grand vision, no idea how to transition from a "funding" to an "operation" financial model and are building up engineering debt with every new ships instead of nailing down the core elements.

Do you think they could ever have made ANY game with 2 million?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Star Citizen is a 2 million dollar game with 95 million dollars worth of mocap and refurbished wood. It's been said here before. Nothing is new. Nothing is groundbreaking. Star Citizen is a game in the same way Adam Sandler's Jack & Jill was a movie.

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag/jack-and-jill/

edit: Vehicles and fps is as old as tribes. Illectro posted about the first time they did spacefighters with atmosphere and the game was better for it. What year was that? I didn't read closely.

Flight all the way from Ground to Space has been done and is being done very well by kerbal space program. Spaceship Combat + FPS combat is Star Trek Online and is free to play and used to be popular among goons because there were fire extinguishers and disco balls and public rrotic roleplaying veterans and particle effects. Oh god the particle effects. We used to crash people's computers. I loved griefing in STO. That those pedos deserved it is just icing.

But even if Star Citizen does seamless fps all the way up to orbit, it won't be the first game to have all of those things. Even if they do all those things seamlessly and flawlessly in one engine, and are somehow better off as a gestalt for doing so, it is not a technological masterpiece. It is simply a logical continuation of all those parts. I suspect that Space Engineers may already be capable of doing all those things - and better than Roberts et. all if current allegations are in fact true.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 28, 2015

BigJane
Jan 24, 2009

Decrepus posted:

It seems so obvious now, no. Especially seeing what they were able to do with 60-100 million so far.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Loiosh posted:

I'm in the PTU?! :aaaaa:

Can people steal ships the moment they spawn? My MBP ran arena commander at 10FPS but I'm determined to abandon pubbies in space.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

peter gabriel posted:

Grab a cushion to bite if you are going to read that thread
Has anyone asked her for pictures of her feet?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Loiosh posted:

I preferred the narrative presentation style of the LucasArts X-Wing and Tie-Fighter games, where the majority of the story happened in real time in the missions as you were doing them. It was a long time before I encountered a game with a story I enjoyed to the same degree that I liked Tie Fighter. TF was focused on a narrative that was directly related to the gameplay, it was all about logistics, ship design, secret shipments, and betrayal, all presented in mission where the scope of the combat changed based on the ongoing story and your completion of different bonus objectives.

I think i read somewhere that the team behind Tie Fighter had a lot more story available that what the pixel artist doing the transition and briefing scene coud produce in time for release. Instead of waving their hands and waiting for "the technology and budget to realise their grand vision" they made the best with what they had and weaved the remaining story elements in the polygonal engine used for flying mission. The result was something delicious still fondly hailed today as one of the best space sim ever produced.

You can also make another StarWars parallel : Lucas had to fight and compromise for his vision at every steps during the first trylogy, resulting in very good films. Once he got everything he wanted, plenty of money, complete creative control and near perfect CGI technology we ended up with the Phantom menace.

SC is Crobberts second trylogy...

Misren
Nov 30, 2014

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.

Decrepus posted:

We have seen more done with less in some games. The way SC is funded it should be balls to the wall fancy.

Fancy jpegs.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Decrepus posted:

Well, they never planned to make a game for $2M. The initial budget was ~$20M.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

The Meat Dimension posted:

I'm in the PTU?! :aaaaa:

Can people steal ships the moment they spawn? My MBP ran arena commander at 10FPS but I'm determined to abandon pubbies in space.

Ships are locked to the owner and those in his or her party for 8 minutes after spawn. However, you can interact with the ramps even if you're not part of the owner's group. So, you can sneak onboard someone's Constellation, which is what just happened to me, and then once they fly far enough out of the 'safe' zone and can initiate combat, you run into their cabin and shoot them. Then it's your ship :)

I was having trouble with the interface, I couldn't figure out how to switch back to mouse-movement mode (since my roommate has my HOTAS Warthog), so the stow-away didn't get to kill me and steal my ship. :) But yes, you can do that once you leave the safe area and take their ship. The ship will stay with you until you disconnect/crash or it is destroyed. You see people running onto Constellations to try to steal them from the owners.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

That was a stretch goal. Wow you really are a pathological liar.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Octopode posted:

lol

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Listen goons, I'm sorry that reality doesn't fall neatly into the personal narrative you've constructed where all people who choose to spend money on a game of their choosing suffer from some mental disorder that you get to play the hero and save them from. The reality is that people see something in the game that excites them, and they are willing to spend money because of that.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Excellent tips. You can also try planking a fish on a cedar or maple piece in your oven if you dont have a smoker but still want to explore using wood in your cooking.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

DreadLlama posted:

That was a stretch goal. Wow you really are a pathological liar.

No, it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Loiosh posted:

It would be basically a full decade before game writing and stories managed to be worthwhile of the overblown cutscenes, and it's still the case that the majority of them are terrible (see most EA games, Halo and Destiny, WoW, etc). Those that stand out, BioWare RPGs, Witcher, Last of Us, are still rare.

Yeah, I really agree with you.

The XWing games and their fellows always felt like they really wanted me to have a good time and play the game. There was a focus on the technical execution and solid play interspersed with nice narrative cues that informed the progress of the mission/story to help influence my understanding of the context of a situation. In cutscene games it often feels like the gameplay itself is considered to be a kind of annoying distraction that serves only to influence if cutscene A-4 A-5 or A-6 will be played for me. Worse still, if something neat happens in the game someone needs to cut away from what's happening so some actor can deliver a reaction shot to tell me that such and such just did whatever the gently caress.

Or you end up with a game like Prophecy. An underrated title led by Rob Irving, who didn't get to have his name plastered all over it, which had a neat behind enemy lines mechanic going on where damage to your mothership was cumulative and could result in losing the game. But even that mechanic was divorced from the overarching story aside from a few pre-made cutscenes where someone would chew you out for allowing the salad bar to get nuked.

The binary approach, action and cutscene, is outmoded. I don't think it deserves a callback.

e; feel free to poo poo in my britches but I'm pretty drat sure the 2 million goal was to provide whatever it is that the people who were standing by to pick the game up needed to see before they produced it.

I mean who loving knows for sure. But I do not recall the original goal being to make anything with 2 million.

But the game was supposed to have been fully funded at 20/25/whatever. That marker has long since come and gone with the infinite redefinitions of their endgame and the unending need for more money to reach it.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 28, 2015

• Locked thread