Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
janssendalt
May 7, 2015

Toops posted:

This is what it's like to be a Star Citizen backer. Can anyone think of something funny? I'm too busy cringing.

shut up, neckbeard

being a SCitizen is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Octopode posted:

You had better hope your thesis advisor is lazy and doesn't read it, or you're going to be spending the next year or so trying to convince him the evidence you've researched actually does support your conclusion, despite it saying the exact opposite.

Octopode, are you all knowing because you hooked yourself into all the military networks you work with in Stargate Command?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

That's right Reddit. You missed it where lowtax and Derek smart signed up together to build a mmo. That's why we are sabotaging star citizen. They're going to build the BDSSE and goons are in on the ground floor. Why do to think bootcha pulled his investment? It's all going into the something awful mmo.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Octopode, are you all knowing because you hooked yourself into all the military networks you work with in Stargate Command?

Unfortunately, while there is a room in the Mountain labeled "Stargate Control", it is only a broom closet in reality.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Jaegerx I like you as a person. Will you be my friend?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Alright it's been a couple of days since the last set, and no significant patches have occurred except for some minor thing that reportedly solved another crash bug but not the crash bug, but then they rolled it out to 50k people, so that has probably made poo poo a lot worse. I'm going to make one more attempt at completing my self imposed goal: to acquire, and then complete, one in-game mission.

Attempt 1: Well, the launcher crashed mid-patch, so we're off to a great start. Side note- having to hit "Verify" after every patch and then watch as it actually corrects the files that it hosed up during the patching process does not exactly fill me with confidence. I know it's an alpha but just... jesus christ CIG, your loving patcher should probably be a little more robust, you know? Anyway- server full. server full. server full. Each time I get this message it screws up the menu, forcing me to restart the game. So every time you read it that's 2-3 minutes of loading time. login failed. server full. unlocalized error. server full. Loading screen goes black, game stops responding.

Attempt 2: Login failed. Wait- got in! The game seems laggy as hell today- I have to hit the spawn-ship terminal about 30 times before it pops up a menu, and all of the doors are taking 2-3 seconds before opening. Getting in my gladius is a similar chore. Then I get the big surprise- I go to quantum travel, and the dots appear for destinations... but not the names. Hmm, that's going to make this challenging to say the least. I pick a random one and just go, since I figure two-thirds of them are comm arrays anyway. Sure enough, comm array, and pirates in the usual superships. Fighting them has become even more of a chore as now missiles appear to be completely useless and they appear to be tougher. I expend all of my missiles and cannon ammo without scoring much in the way of kills, finally finishing them off with my lasers. At least I haven't crashed yet? Go into the array, turn it on, receive mission. Now we're underway at least. I try to figure out which blip in the QT menu is the repair/refuel station, and after a brief period of flitting around I finally get it right- it's pretty easy to guess, since it's one of the closest to the main planet. I go to get rearmed, listen as the messages play, and... I do not get any ammo. Try again- same thing. poo poo. Guess I will be doing the rest of this with lasers. I figure out where the beacon I need to visit is by opening my mobiglass and repeatedly marking/unmarking the quest while watching the QT blips, seeing which one disappears. Finally I have it and fast travel there, but lo and behold, opening my mobiglass more than twice has invited some kind of glaucoma demon into my helmet, and now I can't see poo poo due to a screen blur effect. When I get to the station my controls cut out and I'm not allowed to do anything but zoom in and out on the blurry screen. Exit game. At least it didn't crash!

Attempt 3: Wake up in bed to what sounds like a jet engine trying to gently caress my ear. Immediately rip off my headphones- I'm guessing a ship is buzzing the station and there is some kind of bug with the sound levels. Run downstairs, same as before- hammer on the spawner until it finally opens, get in ship, QT menu won't show destination names. Seriously I fell on the stairs this morning and bruised my tailbone and that was only the second biggest pain in my rear end today. Fly out to station, engage super pirates in lengthy dogfight- win, game crashes.

Attempt 4: server full. server full. server full. Finally get in- okay, this is going to be it. The server seems really responsive this time, I wonder if it just got back up from a crash? Get ship spawned right away and fly out to a comm array- still can't see place names. Kill pirates, start array, get beacon, fly to beacon. While there I notice an amusing issue- the beacon area is far enough away from the planet that the skybox cuts off the gas giant if I turn my head. Turn left- planet clips out. Turn right- there it is again! So much for fixing cryengine. Anyway- get mission, fly to mission- okay, we're actually doing this! The mission is to defend some random person from pirates in an asteroid field. The pirates are literally unkillable. I'm not kidding- several times they glitched out and I just sat there unloading what was left of my ammo and lasers into them, doing minimal damage. Any time they were flying around, just clipping them once or twice was doing gently caress-all to stop them. I spend about 20 minutes fighting them, getting 2 kills out of about 5, until the game finally crashes. gently caress it, that's enough for tonight.

Mission Status: Doesn't appear possible to complete.

Final thoughts: I'd change the mission to "Go to FPS station, kill someone" except I'm not about to hunt through 20 unlabeled points until I find the FPS station. The game does appear to be significantly more stable, but it's just highlighting the many, many other issues. Their servers cannot handle the load of 50k, and they're creaking under the strain. Get past all of that, and the missions are tedious as all hell- it's just fly-here-kill-that with no purpose and the killing's not even fun because even the auroras require 20 seconds of sustained hits before they die or even see their performance degrade. Good luck trying to kill an M50. Missiles don't work at all- I'd fire them and they'd just disappear. I probably won't do many more of these- each one is an ordeal of sitting through loading screens, sprinting through the same dozen actions, then maybe getting a little farther each night. The game appears to be balanced around Super Hornet grade firepower and I'm not about to give this company $175 just to make their garbage missions tolerable.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Octopode posted:

Unfortunately, while there is a room in the Mountain labeled "Stargate Control", it is only a broom closet in reality.
Yeah, pretty sure every diehard stargate nerd knows that tbh.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Octopode, I wish harm upon you and your bloodline

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

jaegerx posted:

Please don't run Octopode off. We are running out of the crazies. No more Karl. Seraph is a rare sight. We are down to him and the fedora weirdo at this point.

I'd say Derek counts but he's on our side.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

Jaegerx I like you as a person. Will you be my friend?

Depends. How many jpegs do you own?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Recoome posted:

That's a pretty extreme reaction for disagreeing with someone on the internet, to be honest. You should try to just not give a poo poo what anonymous strangers think, instead.

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

Octopode posted:

That's a pretty extreme reaction for disagreeing with someone on the internet, to be honest. You should try to just not give a poo poo what anonymous strangers think, instead.

if it helps i can wish harm upon recoomes bloodline

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6LQ_FTNJf8

Just wait for it

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Somebody who touched the poop should go make a quality Let's Play. I'm sure the sub-forum would be grateful and maybe it would get all the lovely posting out of here so there can be more cat pics/food talks.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

jaegerx posted:

Depends. How many jpegs do you own?

Dude, I bought all the jpegs.

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

jaegerx posted:

That's right Reddit. You missed it where lowtax and Derek smart signed up together to build a mmo. That's why we are sabotaging star citizen. They're going to build the BDSSE and goons are in on the ground floor. Why do to think bootcha pulled his investment? It's all going into the something awful mmo.

last I heard was that Derek's wife was taking Hebrew lessons paid with Bootcha's investment

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Recoome posted:

ideate posted:

if it helps i can wish harm upon recoomes bloodline
Oh dear, kanly is declared. This is pretty serious business guys.

In 10000 years these two great houses will still be at war, plotting assassinations in the palaces of the mighty and launching daring space borne raids against rival towns and villages, perpetuating an endless cycle of hatred and suffering.

"Why do we fight the foemen, o war master?"

"We fight them because in an age before reckoning, when man was still tied by cruel gravity to the dirt of lost Earth, our ancestors disagreed about the video game Star Citizen!"

"Oh. When is that coming out by the way?"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DreadLlama posted:

Smart claims to be on the verge of taking his claim to open court. Evidence that's going to be argued there will need to be time-stamped so that the presiding judge can accurately assess Robert's intentions throughout the crowdfunding campaign. Both "what he said" and "when he said it" are factors of consideration. It is known that Roberts retroactively changed his crowdfunding goals after his financial success. No evidence has yet been submitted to the contrary.

And if you think that a federal judge is going to go out and do your homework for you so your argument looks better:

:laffo:

edit: :cawg:

Just stop, you're making yourself look worse than freaking octopode. He's right, you're wrong, it happens to the best of us.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Octopode posted:

You realize that pointing out facts about something is not the same thing as defending or promoting it, right? People in this thread often have trouble telling the difference.

Yeah but what's it mean? What's it leading to? You know, if you'd have told me 20 years ago I'd see children walking the streets of our Texas towns with green hair, buying jpegs with rent money... I just flat-out wouldn't have believed you.

- Signs and wonders. But I think once you quit hearing "limited" and "sale," the rest is soon to foller.

- Oh, it's the tide.
It's the dismal tide.
It is not the one thing.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

:eyepop:

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

Toops posted:

Yeah but what's it mean? What's it leading to? You know, if you'd have told me 20 years ago I'd see children walking the streets of our Texas towns with green hair, buying jpegs with rent money... I just flat-out wouldn't have believed you.

- Signs and wonders. But I think once you quit hearing "limited" and "sale," the rest is soon to foller.

- Oh, it's the tide.
It's the dismal tide.
It is not the one thing.

great

another rambling psychotic

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

janssendalt posted:

great

another rambling psychotic

If the rule that you followed lead you to defending a pyramid scheme on the something awful forums... of what use was the rule?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

trucutru posted:

Just stop, you're making yourself look worse than freaking octopode. He's right, you're wrong, it happens to the best of us.

Please post evidence to support that I am wrong.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm going to make one more attempt at completing my self imposed goal: to acquire, and then complete, one in-game mission.

I've been messing around with the crusader map in single player. It's possible to get quantum and cruise working with a hex editor after you start Crusader as a free-flight DyingStar. After that you can mess without everything without those loving server crashes.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

ritorix posted:

I've been messing around with the crusader map in single player. It's possible to get quantum and cruise working with a hex editor after you start Crusader as a free-flight DyingStar. After that you can mess without everything without those loving server crashes.

I feel like doing it without other people around would eliminate half the fun, but I may give it a shot just for a change of pace. How does the dogfighting and missions feel when done offline?

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
Can anyone link me to the RSI statement in relation to our pledges being ours to do with whatever we wish?
Just can't find it.

This is before they restricted gifting to "once".

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

ahahaha :munch: I'm out of popcorn again, thankyou SC thread and insane SC backers/dsmart stalkers :v:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I am not saying that you are wrong. I just want you to post facts for me to research and refute. I want to fight. I enjoy fighting. I want to fight you. Octopode, please post.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I am not saying that you are wrong. I just want you to post facts for me to research and refute. I want to fight. I enjoy fighting. I want to fight you. Octopode, please post.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DreadLlama posted:

Please post evidence to support that I am wrong.

Hahaha. Do you post in D&D?

Anyways, I don't have (or need, I am a relatively well-adjusted person) any evidence for the obvious. Anybody can see that 2m is just not enough (to even pay for the licenses) to develop the game as initially pitched.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Sarsapariller posted:

I feel like doing it without other people around would eliminate half the fun, but I may give it a shot just for a change of pace. How does the dogfighting and missions feel when done offline?

The highlight is probably trying to EVA and do the comm missions without fighting anything. The fight rages all around but they seem to leave you alone once you power-down. After you finish one there's a search-and-rescue mission that has you pickup a blackbox.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

ritorix posted:

"2.0 is working exactly as we imagined it" -Ben Lesnick
Source: http://imperialnews.network/2015/11/around-verse-episode-2-08/

f.e. This is how you cite a source, octopode.

In other news, all re-imagined No Country for Old Men quotes were sourced here: http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/n/no-country-for-old-men-script.html

I will continue to respond to any and all SC cultist seriousposts with No Country for Old Men. You are invited!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Othin posted:

Hoooleeeeee poo poo. Can you imagine? Like just imagine what that would do to the internet. That made me cum hands free just thinking about what that would do to people.

As funny as it would be, I have a lot of love for the Wing Commander IP and I'd hate to see Derek Smart ruin it by making a lovely new Wing Commander game. Honestly, if anyone's going to ruin it I would rather it be Christo Robertso. Sauron deserves his ring.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Octopode is technically correct, however

Eonwe posted:

shut up octopode

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

ritorix posted:

Anybody can see that 2m is just not enough (to even pay for the licenses) to develop the game as initially pitched.

You argue that Robets' initial pledge goals were made under false pretenses.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Octopode you can be my wingman anytime.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Octopode is technically correct, however

Octopode is not technically correct. I am technically correct.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DreadLlama posted:

College students are loving insufferable.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
gently caress you let's fight.

Say something.

Ghostflight, lets fight. How do you feel about contemporary debate topics? Do you like internet spaceships? How do you feel about ponzi schemes?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

wait a second is it the actual Derek Smart posting in this thread?

• Locked thread