Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Octopode:

Why haven't you posted anything to support your position?

I want to fight you. I want to refute you. Please post so I can show everyone that you are wrong.

Don't you understand? I need you to post. I need to fight you. I have to fight. Please post and let me fight you. Please post. Please. Octopode. Please post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

DreadLlama posted:

Octopode:

I want to fight you. I want to refute you. Please post so I can show everyone that you are wrong.

Don't you understand? I need you to post. I need to fight you. I have to fight. Please post and let me fight you. Please post. Please. Octopode. Please post.

Chill out man

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

DreadLlama posted:

Star Citizen is going to be the greatest game ever. Just looking at alpha 2.0 and the tremendous accomplishments they've been able to make in terms of expanding the map to include a planet and having dynamic missions involving pirates, instead of just vanduul, , as well as being able to spawn whatever ship you have onto a deck and then patiently waiting to exit the station to grab your ship before someone steals it GTA style! It's just like GTA in space, in fact. You can steal ships and shoot people, and it has missions, it's like Rockstar made GTA VI, and they just haven't told us they're actually CIG.

The only thing that could make Star Citizen better is better choice of music. That squadron 42 song that was leaked was awful (my only complaint). I hope they have a radio like Fallout or if we could insert our own music like Eurotruck simulator, because I'd be listening to folk rock (like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtKyLSiVChs) the entire time I'm piloting my fleet of constellations managed by my extended family and online friends

Edit: oops, posted in my umbrella account. Which is also a reference to Resident Evil, by the way, which Star Citizen reminds me of, in terms of excellent dialogue, plot, and voice acting...

Edit2: mixed up umbrella and parachute, oopsies.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 28, 2015

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

DreadLlama posted:

Octopode:

Will you shut the gently caress up? You're the worst person to post in this thread in the last 50 pages

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

On a scale of Karl Ramseier to Seraph the thread is currently DreadLlama.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Octopode/Karl/Reddit, why should I invest my money in this game?

Please refrain from using the following words: Immersion, Vision;
or stupid initialisms such as: BDSSE

I have a budget of $2000, and can live off of canned beans at least 20 days out of any given month. Assume that a full day's ration of canned beans is $4.

I should be able to understand the following from your reply:
-The Plot
-The Playable Races
-Player Progression
-Why Star Citizen over other games such as: War Thunder, EVE Online, Counter-Strike GO

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

More like DramaLlama amirite?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BMan posted:

More like DramaLlama amirite?

We dread his posting

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Here are some questions about SC streamers.

What is the cost/specs of a PC that is able to "play" Star Citizen and stream the effort as well as a webcam/mic to commentate on it live? Have they ever released specs on "recommended machines"? I haven't bought a new PC in six years and my current one is a terrible shitbox that I can't even upgrade. What monstrosities are these Twitch streamers running, and why are people paying them for the privilege of watching them crash every six minutes? A rig capable of doing all this has to be over $1000, right?

Please note that I am ABSOLUTELY NOT asking these questions because I would like to start a Twitch channel of me playing drunk and bad Hearthstone to pay the bills while I go back to school yet again.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

who is this guy? this guy looks like a pedophile that goes to africa to molest undernourished kids for the reason that he likes to touch boney kids

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Octopode/Karl/Reddit, why should I invest my money in this game?

Please refrain from using the following words: Immersion, Vision;
or stupid initialisms such as: BDSSE

I have a budget of $2000, and can live off of canned beans at least 20 days out of any given month. Assume that a full day's ration of canned beans is $4.

I should be able to understand the following from your reply:
-The Plot
-The Playable Races
-Player Progression
-Why Star Citizen over other games such as: War Thunder, EVE Online, Counter-Strike GO

Plot
So far the plot of Star Citizen has been absolutely thrilling. The tale of a failed game designer and his return to glory- but has he reached too high? Will he be brought low by doubters, or friends, or his own hubris? It has everything- heroes, mustache-twirling villains, fat pitiable sidekicks, friends gained and lost, good actors, bad actresses, amazing lows, middling highs, and everything in between. And it's not even done! At some point, word is that the game will actually be released and then we'll supposedly be able to play it! What a crazy tie-in. Best of all, it releases on multiple channels several times per week, so there's always some new twist. It's like the world's best alternate reality game.

Races
Just caucasian male, ages 15-45 right now. It's part of the story, you'll see.

Player Progression
Really one of my favorite parts of the story. To truly get invested in Star Citizen you have to put in real money. Suddenly it matters a whole lot more whether he succeeds or fails! It's a brilliant twist to really suck you into the world of Roberts and it adds a lot of tension to the plot, even the parts that might drag on. Naturally as you invest more, you become more and more involved in the story. Some of the really deep players have actually made guest appearances in the special live shows that they've done. I've never seen player progression done like this- I'm curious what they will do for the endgame content. I'm guessing that some of the show regulars will turn evil and have to be farmed for loot, aka the Blizzard model.

Why Star Citizen?
Other games offer you lovely boring gameplay and try to extract cash from you with wishy-washy power creep that quickly gets rolled back. Star Citizen goes in a bold new direction- it doesn't offer you any gameplay at all, possibly ever. It is 100% cinematic, just a man and his crumbling game development empire all the time. And there's no wishy-washy about the power creep here- they absolutely own it. The more you spend, the more important you are- no matter what kind of shitbag you might be! It was one of my favorite early episodes when they chose to honor one of the biggest backers with a front-page post right in the middle of his sexual harassment scandal. Riveting, just riveting. You'll never find that in War Thunder.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 28, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sarsapariller posted:

Plot
So far the plot of Star Citizen Spaceballs has been absolutely thrilling. The tale of a failed game designer mercenary and his return to glory- but has he reached too high? Will he be brought low by doubters, or friends, or his own hubris? It has everything- heroes, mustache-twirling villains, fat pitiable sidekicks, friends gained and lost, good actors, bad actresses, amazing lows, middling highs, and everything in between. And it's not even done! At some point, word is that the game movie will actually be released and then we'll supposedly be able to play it! What a crazy tie-in. Best of all, it releases on multiple channels several times per week, so there's always some new twist. It's like the world's best alternate reality game.

I'd give you top marks, except your plot sounds too much like Spaceballs.

Monthly budget was also excluded. Solid B+ work!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sarsapariller posted:

Plot
So far the plot of Star Citizen has been absolutely thrilling. The tale of a failed game designer and his return to glory- but has he reached too high? Will he be brought low by doubters, or friends, or his own hubris? It has everything- heroes, mustache-twirling villains, fat pitiable sidekicks, friends gained and lost, good actors, bad actresses, amazing lows, middling highs, and everything in between. And it's not even done! At some point, word is that the game will actually be released and then we'll supposedly be able to play it! What a crazy tie-in. Best of all, it releases on multiple channels several times per week, so there's always some new twist. It's like the world's best alternate reality game.

Races
Just caucasian male, ages 15-45 right now. It's part of the story, you'll see.

Player Progression
Really one of my favorite parts of the story. To truly get invested in Star Citizen you have to put in real money. Suddenly it matters a whole lot more whether he succeeds or fails! It's a brilliant twist to really suck you into the world of Roberts and it adds a lot of tension to the plot, even the parts that might drag on. Naturally as you invest more, you become more and more involved in the story. Some of the really deep players have actually made guest appearances in the special live shows that they've done. I've never seen player progression done like this- I'm curious what they will do for the endgame content. I'm guessing that some of the show regulars will turn evil and have to be farmed for loot, aka the Blizzard model.

Why Star Citizen?
Other games offer you lovely boring gameplay and try to extract cash from you with wishy-washy power creep that quickly gets rolled back. Star Citizen goes in a bold new direction- it doesn't offer you any gameplay at all, possibly ever. It is 100% cinematic, just a man and his crumbling game development empire all the time. And there's no wishy-washy about the power creep here- they absolutely own it. The more you spend, the more important you are- no matter what kind of shitbag you might be! It was one of my favorite early episodes when they chose to honor one of the biggest backers with a front-page post right in the middle of his sexual harassment scandal. Riveting, just riveting. You'll never find that in War Thunder.

This game actually sounds fascinating. I think I could sell it as a mobile app. Do you think I could hire Sandi to motion capture 8-bit pixeled npcs?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

EminusSleepus posted:

who is this guy? this guy looks like a pedophile that goes to africa to molest undernourished kids for the reason that he likes to touch boney kids
So I should use that for Seraph and not Octopode?

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3uicyh/eli5_sc_ptu_constant_crashing/

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

PSA: Sales tracking numbers.

They seem on target for a better anniversary sale yield than last year's, with a chance at besting 2013's anniversary take, too. But beating last November's total revenue number might take a little extra juicing since the baseline was so much lower pre-sale...

Bit odd doing it that way, a lot of their income is from the daily figures when they aren't selling anything special. Focusing on sale days only completely avoids those and hence the figures could well look better as a result. They sold 1000 of the Phoenix within a few hours on Thursday, while they still have over 3,500 left.

Yesterday was their best sale day with $575k, but it was the first day to sell everything, today could be 2/3 of that or even less. I'll stick to comparing November to November.

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

:gary:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The best thing about r/DerekSmart and r/StarCitizen is that you can only post once every 10 minutes. This isn't to stifle arguments silence "trolls" but to temper discussion.

And so you can pile on a guy while he waits 6 hours to reply to the umpteenth person telling you about how great a crashy alpha Star Citizen is

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

Well, they never planned to make a game for $2M. The initial budget was ~$20M.

It was 14 - 20 million.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vzlda0-XoY&t=495s

DreadLlama posted:

The dollar value expected from their investors is not stated. Their request for Two Million Dollars is stated. In lieu of an other value demonstrably made visible to the public during the same time frame, two million is a valid estimate for their original budget.

You're wrong, see above.

AP fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 28, 2015

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The best thing about r/DerekSmart and r/StarCitizen is that you can only post once every 10 minutes. This isn't to stifle arguments silence "trolls" but to temper discussion.

And so you can pile on a guy while he waits 6 hours to reply to the umpteenth person telling you about how great a crashy alpha Star Citizen is

That is not a property of those subs- that's a limitation on the account you're posting as. If your comment vote-count goes below a certain threshold, reddit puts you on a post timer on the assumption that only spammers could possibly be downvoted so hard. Posting contrary opinions on /r/starcitizen is a pretty quick way to get your votes down that low though, so you're not far wrong.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

DreadLlama posted:

[citation needed]
You're nitpicking harder than a shitizen and scaring away all the whales.

e:

Octopode posted:

You're being just as irrational as Karl or anyone else defending CIG's practices has ever been, so, congratulations.
And now you forced me to agree with Octopode on something. gently caress!

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 28, 2015

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

Jobbo_Fett posted:

citizens really really have to craft their posts for maximum displays of knowledge about things

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sarsapariller posted:

That is not a property of those subs- that's a limitation on the account you're posting as. If your comment vote-count goes below a certain threshold, reddit puts you on a post timer on the assumption that only spammers could possibly be downvoted so hard. Posting contrary opinions on /r/starcitizen is a pretty quick way to get your votes down that low though, so you're not far wrong.

Still works on a sub-by-sub basis, so its effectively the same thing. I should accuse both those subs of brigading and see how that goes.

If you start a "thread", there's no limitation. Comments are different. :gary:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Hey guys, this seems like the right thread to ask this in. Does any one have tips for becoming an auditor? It seems like an exciting career that's right for me.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Stealth Like posted:

Hey guys, this seems like the right thread to ask this in. Does any one have tips for becoming an auditor? It seems like an exciting career that's right for me.

Well, do you have any family in the military?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

CrazyTolradi posted:

So I should use that for Seraph and not Octopode?

Wait you mean to tell me Octopode is not a permutation of seraph?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You only get that limitation if you have a lot of downvotes

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

MeLKoR posted:

Well, do you have any family in the military?

No I don't. Should I join to become an auditor?

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

G0RF posted:

I don't mean to get in the middle of your argument, particularly because quibbling over CIG budgetary arcana seems rather like an academic turf war-- the kind that get so vicious because the stakes are so low.

But I do have to ask, Octopode-- because I really don't know-- do you have any misgivings about the funding model, selling high priced ships without limit to backers? Some find this entirely reasonable in a 'caveat emptor' sort of way-- others are disturbed by the potential downside risk and moral questions.

I assume that you're unconvinced by claims about a toxic workplace culture and acts of financial fraud under the Roberts. But if you did encounter undeniable proof, do you think it would jaundice your view of CIG or the game? Would you see them as unrelated -- and support the game while ignoring the rest? Or would you become more critical of the team?

No wrong answers - just was curious to see where you stand on those sorts of matters...
This hasn't been answered, I demand this be answered.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Nicholas posted:

i hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving. this year I'm thankful for CIG being able to develop the BDSSE in the comfort of the trendiest massed-produced luxury furniture that crowdfunding can buy!

$1400 shelf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgPXgTWh2ec

More, also who the gently caress was Larry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OFcTn4ssVY

Above is interesting uploaded 26th June 2015, right before the start of all the drama leaks and major names bailing out.

Bonus, Disco Lando explaining how 84 million dollars isn't a lot of money as they are starting a company up, how they "sell ships" and explaining how they decided to revise the Constellation three times, second time because a fan made some suggestions that they liked better and third time because Chris wanted to.

AP fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 28, 2015

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Stealth Like posted:

1) Are you German ?
2) do you have multiple personality disorder ?
3) Are you a c*nt ?

If the answer to all 3 is yes you could have what it takes.

Misren
Nov 30, 2014

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hmm… come to think of it, CRobber does look a bit like Barney Calhoun.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

The official forums are changing.
Complaint threads have posters in support, the thread where people post their fleet have people mocking others, people bringing up issues in multiple threads.
This is interesting to me.

Was bound to happen once people got a look at the last game they'll ever play

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

http://www.twitch.tv/matticusgames

Watching this streamer play offline mode this morning- I am astonished at how well it works. Just goes to show that all the errors are generally server synchronization related, the rest is fairly solid. But seriously, how can it be playable offline? I do not understand the server/client interaction there.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Listen goons, I'm sorry that reality doesn't fall neatly into the personal narrative you've constructed where all people who choose to spend money on a game of their choosing suffer from some mental disorder that you get to play the hero and save them from. The reality is that people see something in the game that excites them, and they are willing to spend money because of that.

Sorry but Citizenship has been officially recognized as a mental disorder

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sarsapariller posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/matticusgames

Watching this streamer play offline mode this morning- I am astonished at how well it works. Just goes to show that all the errors are generally server synchronization related, the rest is fairly solid. But seriously, how can it be playable offline? I do not understand the server/client interaction there.

Honestly, that should concern you more than a lot of the other things, because that's not "just server synchronization". In any sort of online game that's sane, and especially one where low latency is important, the loop is usually "client sends command requests to server -> server combines it with the other command requests -> server tells the client what they should display to the user". Having an ad-hoc offline mode hack work just fine implies that it's either peer-to-peer lockstep or client authoritative :psyduck:

Neither of these bode well and would require a huge rewrite before they could even approach having anything resembling a game with the first two critical "M"s of an MMO. Are there NPCs in the offline version that work as expected?

e: Actually having this be peer to peer would make (some) sense-- it basically removes a large portion of required server cost, with the downside of hugely limiting the amount of players you can have in one area before you have latency shitstorms, since you're basically restricting everyone to the latency of the slowest player if you're doing it in lockstep mode. E:D does p2p servers and it results in huge headaches trying to get more than 12 people into the same instance, and I think there's a literal hard cap at 30. And the SC redditors are talking about space battles with hundreds of players in multicrew ships :laffo:

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 28, 2015

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Honestly, that should concern you more than a lot of the other things, because that's not "just server synchronization". In any sort of online game that's sane, and especially one where low latency is important, the loop is usually "client sends command requests to server -> server combines it with the other command requests -> server tells the client what they should display to the user". Having an ad-hoc offline mode hack work just fine implies that it's either peer-to-peer lockstep or client authoritative :psyduck:

Neither of these bode well and would require a huge rewrite before they could even approach having anything resembling a game with the first two critical "M"s of an MMO. Are there NPCs in the offline version that work as expected?

You've used words that are implying CIG are considering the long term impact of their design decisions here, and are not just making GBS threads out the fastest, shittiest implementation they can in the name of "showing progress". :gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

e: Actually having this be peer to peer would make (some) sense-- it basically removes a large portion of required server cost, with the downside of hugely limiting the amount of players you can have in one area before you have latency shitstorms, since you're basically restricting everyone to the latency of the slowest player if you're doing it in lockstep mode. E:D does p2p servers and it results in huge headaches trying to get more than 12 people into the same instance, and I think there's a literal hard cap at 30. And the SC redditors are talking about space battles with hundreds of players in multicrew ships :laffo:

None of them actually want to play in massive 100 on 100 battles because they'll all have their PVP sliders set as low as possible because they don't want anyone ruining their "My Little Planet" space-janitor sim

• Locked thread