Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Mr. Peepers posted:

In BC's defense I am complaining about it in the context of Regrowth, where the skewed tech and material progression causes some wonky issues, like diamond and redstone requiring railcraft steel to be able to be gathered.

Mining from the Nether is a bit of a crapshoot, honestly. It's better just to make the seeds.

However, you can skip the tool hardness progression entirely by making a Botania Rod of the Shifting Crust. (It's Botania's version of the Wand of Equal trade.)

You need diamonds to make the Sloth Rune, though. Pair it with a Rod of the Lands and set the transmuted material to dirt to keep from having to carry a bunch of chaff blocks around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Mr. Peepers posted:

In BC's defense I am complaining about it in the context of Regrowth, where the skewed tech and material progression causes some wonky issues, like diamond and redstone requiring railcraft steel to be able to be gathered.
Oh my no, this isn't true at all! Magic seeds supply all needs! If i had to create steel, it was only a few - just enough to build a basic machine and get past some of the requirements.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'm playing Regrowth right now and I've got both diamond and redstone without making a single piece of steel. What recipes are you seeing?

e. How do I get Storage Drawers to interact with JABBA barrels?

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 27, 2015

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm playing Regrowth right now and I've got both diamond and redstone without making a single piece of steel. What recipes are you seeing?

He's mining Nether Ore, instead of making seeds.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

bbcisdabomb posted:

e. How do I get Storage Drawers to interact with JABBA barrels?
Stick them beside the drawers, assign an item into them and then lock the barrel, then when you put items in the controller, they go into the barrels.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Serifina posted:

He's mining Nether Ore, instead of making seeds.

Yeah, I put making the third transmutation stone on hold to work on some of the other questlines, including the one to make a blast furnace. And to sort out storage before I became even more overwhelemed by a whole new tier of materials to manage.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

Why the hell does this require an Assembly Table to build.

Because "Muh vision!" and artificial difficulty I guess. Same reason why everything in IC2 explodes or all you are left with is a machine case if you try to mine it with a pickaxe, or even a silktouched pickaxe (they 'fixed' people using silktouch to pick up stuff).

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I tried getting started with FeedTheBeast after watching a couple twitch streams. My previous minecraft experience was pretty limited and never got to the endgame since there wasn't much going on. FTB is kind of overwhelming with what's going on, and the tutorial/quest aspect of Blightfall looks like it'll be pretty helpful.

Is there anything I should know before I get too far into Blightfall?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Threep posted:

On that note, someone picked up the abandoned but interesting ATG alternative RWG, it's now being updated here.

I just wanted to dig this back up and say that it does look very nice. I hope to eventually do a trial run using it and see if everything works in it. I'm switching to ATG for now so my oregen--and lava pool--settings make sense. The lava pools are kind of goofy in vanilla.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009

Mr. Peepers posted:

Yeah, I put making the third transmutation stone on hold to work on some of the other questlines, including the one to make a blast furnace. And to sort out storage before I became even more overwhelemed by a whole new tier of materials to manage.

Speaking of regrowth questlines, what unlocks the Make A Blast Furnace and presumably other Railcraft/Forestry Machine related quests? I've already done the Make A Coke Oven thing, and if you've not even made the third stone yet then i must be missing something, since i already have diamonds from there.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Mr. Peepers posted:

Yeah, as far as I've seen with Regrowth, you basically never have to mine except for picking up your initial dirt and for the quest that specifically requests some Nether Ores. Otherwise, if you're running into quests that require something you don't have, you probably just need to work on a different questline.

There's a half-dozen different storage mods (too many, IMO, some of them are just unnecessary). If you've got it, I recommend just going ahead and doing a storage drawer room. A room like this (a room I built in another pack, but you can set up something similar very easily) would work pretty well, and you can lock the drawers. Remember that the drawers themselves just need wood, except for compacting drawers. My preference is for 1x2 drawers.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Don't make the Blast Furnace, make an Infernal Blast Furnace (can make steel and refined steel, the latter of which you need for tier 4 materials) and tell Railcraft to gently caress itself once and for all.

gently caress the police blast furnace

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Magres posted:

Don't make the Blast Furnace, make an Infernal Blast Furnace (can make steel and refined steel, the latter of which you need for tier 4 materials) and tell Railcraft to gently caress itself once and for all.

Couldn't find it in NEI. Now I just use the Mekanism stuff to make steel :jerry:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Magres posted:

Man I haven't even started Thaumcraft.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Serifina posted:

Yeah, as far as I've seen with Regrowth, you basically never have to mine except for picking up your initial dirt and for the quest that specifically requests some Nether Ores. Otherwise, if you're running into quests that require something you don't have, you probably just need to work on a different questline.

There's a half-dozen different storage mods (too many, IMO, some of them are just unnecessary). If you've got it, I recommend just going ahead and doing a storage drawer room. A room like this (a room I built in another pack, but you can set up something similar very easily) would work pretty well, and you can lock the drawers. Remember that the drawers themselves just need wood, except for compacting drawers. My preference is for 1x2 drawers.

Goodness gracious, that storage drawer room is cool looking.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Serifina posted:

I like 2x2 drawers; anything that requires more than 4 stacks of something I put in it's own barrel. That room plus a bunch of super crafting frames on slaves to pull from them are the best thing. I looked into making a storage drawer-aware crafting table, and it's totally possible and doable with the public api.

Something else people might not be aware of - you can store essentia jars in the drawers! It works!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Taffer posted:

cauldron which allows you to use bukkit mods. Then get worldedit and worldborder, they are The Best

Can forge mods be installed on a server that has Cauldron installed on it? The modpack we're going to be using is made entirely with Forge in mind.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

neogeo0823 posted:

Can forge mods be installed on a server that has Cauldron installed on it? The modpack we're going to be using is made entirely with Forge in mind.

Cauldron is Bukkit with Forge, so you're good. Cauldron is a replacement Minecraft server JAR.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Fortis posted:

Cauldron is Bukkit with Forge, so you're good. Cauldron is a replacement Minecraft server JAR.

Cool. My next question then is about exactly how the files need to be laid out. Installing Cauldron on the server put a Libraries folder in the main directory, along with 3 jar files. Do I just copy all the folders for the modpack into that same directory as the libraries folder?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I see what TheresaJayne is talking about with the typos possibly being puns. I had done this on accident:

quote:

The ender quarry requires magical wood. This is by far the strangest ingredient in the hole process.

I don't know how people at work tolerate my emails.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
Anyone encountered a bug where adding a mod to a technic platform modpack (tekkit legends in this case) by dragging and dropping it into the mods folder will work for one person but not for another? I am running Windows 7 and it works for me just fine, but my friend on Windows 10 cannot get the launcher to load/recognize the new mod. It is very strange.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Can somebody be a guinea pig for a BFSR 1.5 release? Take the current one and plow it over with the stuff in this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3u3bql05m4r3m2/modpack.zip?dl=1

If unsure:
1. Open the pack's folder using the Technic launcher.
2. BACK UP YOUR poo poo. INCLUDING YOUR DADWORLD SAVE. Everybody that plays this makes a dadworld. Or at least that's what is in all the crashlogs I get.
3. Completely obliterate the following folders: bin, mods, jarmods, config.
4. Replace them with the same from the linked archive.
5. Launch that sucker and hold your breath.

I need a sanity check as I know never to actually release stuff at 1:30AM on a Saturday.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Can somebody be a guinea pig for a BFSR 1.5 release? Take the current one and plow it over with the stuff in this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3u3bql05m4r3m2/modpack.zip?dl=1

If unsure:
1. Open the pack's folder using the Technic launcher.
2. BACK UP YOUR poo poo. INCLUDING YOUR DADWORLD SAVE. Everybody that plays this makes a dadworld. Or at least that's what is in all the crashlogs I get.
3. Completely obliterate the following folders: bin, mods, jarmods, config.
4. Replace them with the same from the linked archive.
5. Launch that sucker and hold your breath.

I need a sanity check as I know never to actually release stuff at 1:30AM on a Saturday.

Seems to work fine for me.

It opens fine, and the Quest Book is definitely different so I think I did it correctly.

Now to start a brand new world after I just finished automating my old BFSR save.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Seems to work fine for me.

It opens fine, and the Quest Book is definitely different so I think I did it correctly.

Now to start a brand new world after I just finished automating my old BFSR save.

Bhodi and I want to turn the pack upside-down, so I'm trying to get this release out to handle 2 months of accumulated complaints and bug reports. I just realized how long it had been, so I did this part now.

Anybody else that wants to turn it upside-down is free to party with us. I think we're putting the config folder in GitHub for starters. I'm hoping some day I can find a sucker that can host a server version for a week and allow some folks on to edit together a tutorial spawn world.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So in regrowth is there a way to easily transform cracked sand to dirt, or do I have to replace it all manually? I want go prettify my area with sprawling farms and gardens but it's slow as hell building anything of the sort because I have to manually mine dirt from underground and replace sand by hand.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

did someone say "needlessly complicated rats nest of cables"

meet the agricultural complex for a new generation! run off a handful of steam dynamos, once populated with the appropriate beasts it automatically produces whatever animal products or plants you could possibly want, except for some reason potatos and carrots because OMP-i's done something weird with them

i'm still yet to add the fertiliser section and get the fluid output finalised

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Demiurge4 posted:

So in regrowth is there a way to easily transform cracked sand to dirt, or do I have to replace it all manually? I want go prettify my area with sprawling farms and gardens but it's slow as hell building anything of the sort because I have to manually mine dirt from underground and replace sand by hand.

There's a botania tool that spams dirt everywhere ( I think it comes in two levels, single blocks or flood the world). Rod of the earth or something? Its supposed to be for levelling terrain, but if you pillar up a couple of blocks you can use it to cover your base. One thing to be aware of is that it will also fill in underground caverns, so don't do what I did and fill in your entire power station.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Demiurge4 posted:

Get a Rod of the Lands and a Rod of the Shifting Crust. The latter is Botania equivalent to Thaumcraft's Equal Trade focus, but better in that it can pull supplies from rods in your inventory. Set it to dirt, have the Rod of the Lands in your inventory, and go nuts.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Is there anything that will generate a ton of chunks in a SSP modded world? I don't have the best computer and when Im running around, my world generates looking kind of torn up and blocky at the same time - as in, it will generate rolling hills as best Minecraft can, and then will have a huge 5x6 pillar of just vertical blocks jutting out of the ground and I don't really like the way it looks, I think they are errors from my computer lagging as I generate chunks. Also I want to be able to look at my Journeymap thing and find something like a desert biome without hunting forever for one. But there are a few programs that do this that you can google for, but apparently they don't work on modded worlds? Are there any programs that will do that, or is there a way to get those other programs to work on modded worlds, like a Technic pack thing?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Some mod I installed in the BFSR release candidate spontaneously decided to give the starting player a bunch of stone tools. Any idea what might be doing it?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. it was the Starting Inventory mod! :D

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Considering grabbing Pocket Edition as part of a Christmas gift for one of my kids (she's getting a tablet that can run it).

Can you still do Creative mode in pocket edition, and does it also include peaceful difficulty? She just likes to dig and build.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I'm tyring to get the server started, but it keeps crashing on load. The crash log tells me it's got something to do with the core file for Project Red, but I have no idea why it wouldn't be able to read the file. All of the project red related jar files are at the latest release version, so I'm at a loss on what to do to fix the issue. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: The other part that's giving me pause is this, specifically:

quote:

[15:09:29] [main/WARN] [FML/]: Missing @MCVersion: aroma1997.core.coremod.CoreMod cartfixes.asm.LoadingPlugin codechicken.core.launch.CodeChickenCorePlugin cofh.asm.LoadingPlugin atomicstryker.dynamiclights.common.DLFMLCorePlugin fastcraft.LoadingPlugin codechicken.core.launch.DepLoader mrtjp.relocation.asm.RelocationPlugin ic2.core.coremod.IC2core invtweaks.forge.asm.FMLPlugin ivorius.ivtoolkit.IvToolkitLoadingPlugin chylex.java7check.JavaCheckerCoremod logisticspipes.asm.LogisticsPipesCoreLoader mekanism.common.asm.LoadingHook mrtjp.core.handler.CorePlugin codechicken.nei.asm.NEICorePlugin openblocks.OpenBlocksCorePlugin openeye.CorePlugin openmods.core.OpenModsCorePlugin com.dynious.refinedrelocation.asm.LoadingPlugin xreliquary.common.asm.DepLoader thaumcraft.codechicken.core.launch.DepLoader codechicken.core.launch.DepLoader thaumic.tinkerer.preloader.ThaumicTLoaderContainer codechicken.core.launch.DepLoader

I have no idea if that's important, but nothing else on the log shows any sort of warning that I can discern. I got nothing at this point. Someone please help me out here.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 28, 2015

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

McFrugal posted:

What? Just have one pipe on each basin/table. The point is to have them set up in series, not parallel. You should never have to "flush" the pipes. At most you'll have to break the last basin/table if you accidentally put in the wrong amount of ore(in the case of basins), or make alloys in a bad ratio.

This was from a bit ago, but I'm not really visualizing this. I've already got them in serial with channels over the top, but all I can imagine is a line of pipes on the side of this with servos, which is a lot of extra servos and pipes. Maybe I'm just not thinking this through right though.

Edit: and set it up how I'm imagining and it just basically only uses the last casting table.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Wolfsbane posted:

One thing to be aware of is that it will also fill in underground caverns, so don't do what I did and fill in your entire power station.

Reading this made my palms sweaty. Thanks for that.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd like to try out windows 10, but I want to be able to run minecraft mods still. I'm currently using an old version of java on windows 8.1 to be able to run the mods my nephews like to play. 1.7.2 and 1.7.10 mods. Am I missing something or am I stuck using old software to run minecraft mods?

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

plape tickler posted:

I'd like to try out windows 10, but I want to be able to run minecraft mods still. I'm currently using an old version of java on windows 8.1 to be able to run the mods my nephews like to play. 1.7.2 and 1.7.10 mods. Am I missing something or am I stuck using old software to run minecraft mods?

If you have an integrated intel graphics card, there is an issue with that+windows 10+Technic/FTB. There is a workaround if you don't mind using the vanilla minecraft launcher and manually installing forge+mods you like.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

plape tickler posted:

I use WIndows 10 and don't have any particular problems, but I play Minecraft on a standard PC that doesn't use integrated graphics.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I just had an idea of making a BFSR starter world with interactive exhibits so new players can just see most of the things in action. This could include half-completed machines and the like. I wanted to try to set up a server to collaboratively build this, but how would I then take the final result and include it in a modpack?

For that matter, is anybody up for hosting a project like that for a little bit?

I was going to ask, are there any BFSR servers out there?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

plape tickler posted:

There are 1.7 mods that require old java versions? I know it was an issue with some 1.6 mods, but wasn't there was a compatibility mod someone made for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

I was going to ask, are there any BFSR servers out there?

A buddy of mine may host for a short term (~1 week) to set up the tutorial world I want to include in the pack, but it would hardly be a regular server. A few have asked and I did post server files for them before, but I never hear back. This is despite asking them afterwards.