Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Has anyone brought up how Sandi hasn't changed her last name to Roberts? I need something to eat popcorn to.

It is very rare for Hollywood actors to change their last name. So this is not surprising. In fact, in a lot of cases, some women tend not to change it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Nation posted:

Elite has 150 k real stars that you can fly to sol see the constellations then fly to them. Oh and don't forget the billion star systems

Lololol revolutionary game by Chris Roberts has one a

Chris should counter with infinite procedural cut scenes.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjaueRFDULw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPwIop0WcUU

AP fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 28, 2015

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

D_Smart posted:

As I explained earlier, any client can also be a server. In fact, that's specifically how CryEngine is built. You do not need a stand-alone server. And that's how they were touting being able to run your own server. They may provide a console app that does just that or just leave it built into the game like most games do.

e.g. in my 2009 games, All Aspect Warfare/Angle Of Attack, anyone can run a multiplayer session right from the main menu and have people join. Or you can download the stand-alone console server and use that to host a server.

Seriously, it's rudimentary stuff. It's not rocket science.

CIG has been listing netcode as the primary blocker for almost a year now, for every module. And they're not even close. I literally don't think they have the talent to get it done. And by "it," I mean a playable multiplayer game.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's because Star Citizen is going to be a single player game with drop-in drop-out co-op (since that's what Squadron 42 will be). Basically a Freelancer server. Oh sure they've advertised it as a MMO (will "MMO qualities" or whatever bullshit weasel word CR used), but they've said plenty of things that weren't true. What's one more?

Backers also seem to think that, somehow, SC will magically auto-partition each and every instance into discrete chunks that will be able to handle the capacity of a given group and yet seamlessly integrate with every other instance around them.

That entire thread is a case study in self-delusion and confirmation bias. Look at how people respond when they hear that the entire game of Squadron 42 will take place in a single system.

Yeah. That's why their next stretch is releasing SQ42 in some form or another as that will somehow keep the Star Citizen gravy train going. All they're doing atm is stringing along the whales.

There is a rude awakening in the works. It's going to be all kinds of shocking. That's all I can say atm. Bookmark this post.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Remember, Croberts is -INFINITY to your pool of talent points.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

SC is intentionally described in such subjective and readily interpreted terms. In doing so they allow the backer to create their own vision of what SC will be and thus fund it based on that perspective. The less vague things are the harder it is for CIG to sell the dream and the less funding they get. The problem is that eventually they (theoretically) have to deliver a product and then people will be put in the uncomfortable position of realizing precisely what they have paid hundreds or thousands of dollars for. That's going to cause significant backlash, amplified by all the resentment of three years of exploitive business practices and outright lies.

Thats why I think dragging out production as long as possible is actually the best way of making money for them. The catbox SC is way more appealing inside peoples heads than the actual SC.

Once the thing comes out, people are going to notice that its not really a sim, its not really an MMO, none of the big super ship systems are implemented, and SQ42 EP1 is 15 hours of movie and 2 hours of gameplay, they'll just stop putting money in it.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Toops posted:

CIG has been listing netcode as the primary blocker for almost a year now, for every module. And they're not even close. I literally don't think they have the talent to get it done. And by "it," I mean a playable multiplayer game.

This is a straight out lie, I just returned to my hangar from a huge battle with hundreds of people on either side and it was glorious! Thanks for changing my life Chris.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Octopode posted:

You wan to try and base this discussion on judicial standards of evidence, without the institutions that support such standards, like discovery and investigation, so there is no way to satisfy your evidentiary requirements to your satisfaction. However, all the available evidence DOES support my claim, and none of it supports yours.

You're being just as irrational as Karl or anyone else defending CIG's practices has ever been, so, congratulations.

omg how loving stupid are you?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

D_Smart posted:

It is very rare for Hollywood actors to change their last name.
How does this apply to Sandi?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

SC is intentionally described in such subjective and readily interpreted terms. In doing so they allow the backer to create their own vision of what SC will be and thus fund it based on that perspective. The less vague things are the harder it is for CIG to sell the dream and the less funding they get. The problem is that eventually they (theoretically) have to deliver a product and then people will be put in the uncomfortable position of realizing precisely what they have paid hundreds or thousands of dollars for. That's going to cause significant backlash, amplified by all the resentment of three years of exploitive business practices and outright lies.

Yeah, at this point CIG has painted themselves into a corner where they cannot possibly release something that will be good enough.

They have a choice of producing a game that doesn't meet their claims but is still a game with the potential to be fun, or just pouring funds down the black hole of the "vision" until there's nothing left.

It must be horrible to work for them, knowing this and knowing that they're still taking people's money by peddling this dream that will never be realised. Imagine knowing that you're making something that could be a pretty good video game, but all the fans will hate it because it's nowhere near what was promised. That must be truly soul destroying.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Thats why I think dragging out production as long as possible is actually the best way of making money for them. The catbox SC is way more appealing inside peoples heads than the actual SC.

Once the thing comes out, people are going to notice that its not really a sim, its not really an MMO, none of the big super ship systems are implemented, and SQ42 EP1 is 15 hours of movie and 2 hours of gameplay, they'll just stop putting money in it.

gently caress it. Let 'em keep fleecing those retards. The sperg herd will cripple themselves with debt, and if they don't starve to death outright, they will likely kill themselves when the game doesn't meet whatever aspberger's 4-dimensional clusterfuck they dreamed up. Even if they don't one thing's for certain: They ain't reproducin'.

The ones that are already married won't have children because their sperm count is too low from jacking off on jpegs of Sandi's horrendous tit window, and/or the wife will leave cause hubby would rather sit in his chair watching twitch streams of the game client crash, making GBS threads himself multiple times over the 20-hour "power session," than get up and tell his wife he loves her.

The ones that already have kids will bankrupt the family, get divorced, and their sperglings will all kill themselves from sadness because daddy never once actually looked at them.

Defective genes removed. Problem Solved. Thanks Darwin.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Berious posted:

Chris should counter with infinite procedural cut scenes.

I could visit all the stars in elite before this game ever releases as anything but a standalone test demo

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Toops posted:

gently caress it. Let 'em keep fleecing those retards. The sperg herd will cripple themselves with debt, and if they don't starve to death outright, they will likely kill themselves when the game doesn't meet whatever aspberger's 4-dimensional clusterfuck they dreamed up. Even if they don't one thing's for certain: They ain't reproducin'.

The ones that are already married won't have children because their sperm count is too low from jacking off on jpegs of Sandi's horrendous tit window, and/or the wife will leave cause hubby would rather sit in his chair watching twitch streams of the game client crash, making GBS threads himself multiple times over the 20-hour "power session," than get up and tell his wife he loves her.

The ones that already have kids will bankrupt the family, get divorced, and their sperglings will all kill themselves from sadness because daddy never once actually looked at them.

Defective genes removed. Problem Solved. Thanks Darwin.

i actually find the idea, of true believers spending themselves into bankruptcy while Crobizzle and co. ride off into the sunset richer than ever before, really amusing. that may make me a bad person but i can't help that this scenario is really funny.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Chalks posted:

Yeah, at this point CIG has painted themselves into a corner where they cannot possibly release something that will be good enough.

They have a choice of producing a game that doesn't meet their claims but is still a game with the potential to be fun, or just pouring funds down the black hole of the "vision" until there's nothing left.

It must be horrible to work for them, knowing this and knowing that they're still taking people's money by peddling this dream that will never be realised. Imagine knowing that you're making something that could be a pretty good video game, but all the fans will hate it because it's nowhere near what was promised. That must be truly soul destroying.

I have no sympathy for a dev who understands what they're involved in and doesn't leave. I also have no sympathy for a dev that doesn't understand what they're involved in.

There's rear end-tons of opportunity in the general Tech sector. No excuse for staying on supporting a glorified MLM/Pyramid scheme run by a deadly combination of maniacs and sloppy dreamers.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

This is a straight out lie, I just returned to my hangar from a huge battle with hundreds of people on either side and it was glorious! Thanks for changing my life Chris.

The voice from the screen was still pouring forth its tale of space battles and booty and immersion, but the shouting outside had died down a little. The waiters were turning back to their work. One of them approached with the gin bottle. Melkor, sitting in a blissful dream, paid no attention as his glass was filled up. He was not running or cheering any longer. He was back in Cloud Imperium Santa Monica Office, with everything forgiven, his soul white as snow. He was livestreaming at the "Reverse the 'Verse" desk, confessing everything, implicating everybody. He was walking down the Brown-tiled corridor, with the feeling of walking in sunlight, Chris Robberts at his back. The longhoped-for PTU Alpha 2.0 was entering his brain.

He gazed up at the enormous mush mouthed face, 3 years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the droopy eyes. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Star Citizen.

(Thank you, Mr. Orwell))

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

I know this is from lightyears back, since this thread moves at ludicrous speed, but thanks for this. You kinda form your own opinions on individual folks within CIG, but it's still over the internet and poo poo and, ultimately, who the hell knows how accurate your opinions are. But reading something like this really helps determine a lot, both about your own judgement of things as well as ofc as to how things went down with CIG.

Chalks posted:

It's quite easy to mistake janssendalt for an ironic parody account but this is actually a semi-literate backer attempting to express genuine support.

Oh this guy's been around the SC community for, like, 2 years and doing the rounds of being an idiot in every community that's even vaguely associated with SC.

On that note...

Shut the gently caress up already Octochode, you super top secret self-doxxer (and DreadLlama too pls).
gently caress right the hell off, Karl.
And Sandi sounds even more of a skank, now that I hear her ordering around a loving exec producer that actually knows his job somewhat (Erin).

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is what an alpha looks like for Behavior Interactive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQgELu6-c50

This is what an alpha looks like for Ubisoft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mAMEoJFTcw

This is what an alpha looks like for Cloud Imperium Games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxsWHqk_t78

And this is an Indie game called Ark. Alpha. From yesterday. Disregard bad music and streamer chat. In fact, just mute it.

https://youtu.be/PRAgMD8z7h0

Thronde fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 28, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Also lol at Sandi's new rose tattoo on the neck. It's like every new addition she does to pretty herself up just screams of her insecurity and winds up making her look worse (to me at least).

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

CrazyLoon posted:

Shut the gently caress up already Octochode, you super top secret self-doxxer (and DreadLlama too pls).
And Sandi sounds even more of a skank, now that I hear her ordering around a loving exec producer that actually knows his job somewhat (Erin).

THERES A RECORDING OF ONE OF HER TIRADES?? HOW DID I MISS THIS?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Agrajag posted:

THERES A RECORDING OF ONE OF HER TIRADES?? HOW DID I MISS THIS?

What? I didn't say that. Just what I read from one of the previous 1000 posts here (again, allegedly poo poo).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CrazyLoon posted:

I know this is from lightyears back, since this thread moves at ludicrous speed, but thanks for this. You kinda form your own opinions on individual folks within CIG, but it's still over the internet and poo poo and, ultimately, who the hell knows how accurate your opinions are. But reading something like this really helps determine a lot, both about your own judgement of things as well as ofc as to how things went down with CIG.

Oh this guy's been around the SC community for, like, 2 years and doing the rounds of being an idiot in every community that's even vaguely associated with SC.

On that note...

drat, can't believe these game developers are so skanky.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

CrazyLoon posted:

What? I didn't say that. Just what I read from one of the previous 1000 posts here (again, allegedly poo poo).

"hear her"

hand over the recording douchnozzle

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Agrajag posted:

"hear her"

hand over the recording douchnozzle

Oh okay then "now that I read ITT that" is my amendment. You happy now?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

CrazyLoon posted:

Also lol at Sandi's new rose tattoo on the neck. It's like every new addition she does to pretty herself up just screams of her insecurity and winds up making her look worse (to me at least).

It's fake, for some audition.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Chalks posted:

It's fake, for some audition.

...and she wears it outside of said audition because...?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

CrazyLoon posted:

makes her look young and hip and with it? it makes sense when you consider her wardrobe :barf:

edit: call me a misogynist idgaf the bitch is fleecing stupid nerds for millions and she knows exactly what she is doing

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CrazyLoon posted:

Dedication.

Buy the Sandi Gardner arm bracelet today!

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

CrazyLoon posted:

All the videos with her wearing that fake tat were recorded on the same day.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

CrazyLoon posted:

I don't really understand that. Do fake tattoos take some time to wash off? No idea, but it was mentioned on one of those fake tv shows for their fake game that the tattoo was also fake.

There's some theme here but I can't put my finger on it.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Dedication.

Buy the Sandi Gardner arm bracelet today!

I'm kinda worried that, if this ever became a legit thing or purity rings ect, this would inevitably be Sandi in the backstage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF4_4g1B2Ug

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CrazyLoon posted:

I'm kinda worried that, if this ever became a legit thing or purity rings ect, this would inevitably be Sandi in the backstage.

1000 for $200

WHOS WITH ME!?

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax
Sandi, keep up the great work and stay strong! I always look forward to the content that you and Ben produce. You bring so much positive energy to this community. Don't let haters get you down. Most ambitious projects attract a fair share of them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bumbles posted:

Sandi, keep up the great work and stay strong! I always look forward to the content that you and Ben produce. You bring so much positive energy to this community. Don't let haters get you down. Most ambitious projects attract a fair share of them.

The only "something awful" she reads are her scripts.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

quote:

Chalks posted:

OK so credit to CIG, they have done something that's ground breaking, and not in the ironic "ripped off more nerds than any other game" way either: Localized physics grids with seamless transitions from flying a space ship to FPS. That poo poo's new and hasn't been done before.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precursors_(video_game)

Ground breaking, 6 years ago.

Edit: Gameplay video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWzC9R4UBpc

heh: http://lodmmo.com

It's hilarious to me that those morons spent a good portion of July - Nov attacking us over the bugs in Line Of Defense; despite that game also being in active development. Then their pre-Alpha-Alpha 2.0 hits, and they're all silent. Some have the usual excuse "This is open development. They're fixing it. It's going be awesome!"

Aircraft are unlocking in LOD next month; and we can already do all of this and the game world is 100% persistent.

quote:

The game is pure PvP (with some PvE in the form of world events) takes place in an open world persistent universe, and supports various game play types.

Players start off as an infantry marine for either the Terran Military (Galactic Command) or Terran Insurgents, with a choice of character class, weapons etc. See the quick start and gameplay basics guides for more info.

During the course of the game, players engage in various activities including infantry, air, land, sea, space combat. Some gameplay options also feature “world events” which pit players against various NPC characters in a battle for survival.

Players move freely in the game world on planets (air, land, sea), in space, inside stations and a carrier, as well as inside various other buildings.

A typical scenario:

- start as infantry combatant deployed to a planetary base (e.g. Heatwave)
- fight some guys (or NPC androids in a world event)
- grab a fighter or shuttle, do some aerial combat, jump to another planetary base (e.g. Frostbite)
- exit craft, do some infantry combat, grab a fighter and go to space
- do some space combat, dock at a station or carrier, exit the craft in infantry mode
- do some infantry combat inside the station or carrier
- use an HAIS-MK2 device to drop launch to the planet below via an airlock. your space craft is still docked at the station or carrier
- back on the planet, do what the hell you want; but don’t forget that your fighter is still docked at the station/carrier above the planet. grab a vehicle, do some mayhem etc
- use a DJP to go from one planetary scene to the other, then jetpack to the top of a building and snipe fools from atop
- jetpack off the building and onto an airborne aircraft, wait for it to gain altitude, then wingsuit behind enemy lines
- use a DJP to go from the planet, back to the station/carrier, go to the airlock, board your fighter, join the battle

That’s just a very small amount of the various gameplay options.

There is nothing remotely ground breaking about Star Citizen. http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/08/lod-v-sc/

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

CrazyLoon posted:

Maybe shes a method actor and the CIG staff are her bloodbags or maybe its a bit part and they told the crowd scene people not to wash it off because makeup artists aren't free

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The only "something awful" she reads are her scripts.

:gary:https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5724878/#Comment_5724878:yarg:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its the early access problem. They've already got your money so where is the incentive to finish? Except instead of a half finished game thats kind of cool you get a jpeg

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Chalks posted:

Honestly? If I was working at CIG at this point, I wouldn’t give a gently caress. The warning bells were rung, there were already a dozen people talking poo poo, and they were all tossed aside as D Smart alt accounts. Anyone who’s still got money in at this point wouldn’t be my problem, all I’d care about is getting my resume out to other companies before “worked at CIG” flipped from a cool line item to a mark of shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

FUN GAMEPLAY coming soon to 'verse near you :wink:

• Locked thread