Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bentai posted:

Is every race there always on iRacing levels of lap one shitshow?

I've never seen a race at Macau where something stupid didn't happen because someone was way too aggressive. That's what happens when you have a 2-3 minute lap with maybe 4 passing opportunities. Also touring cars. I fully expect TCR to be the nail in WTCC's coffin within a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Sounds like I missed one hell of a WEC race this weekend! It's worth finding and watching, right?

njsykora posted:

I fully expect TCR to be the nail in WTCC's coffin within a few years.

Why's that?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Bring in the BTCC next year.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GramCracker posted:

Why's that?

I've seen multiple stories about TCR this year and people talking about it while I've not seen any interest in WTCC except for the stories about Citroen pulling out. Granted a lot of that could very well be down to it being a new thing. I don't expect it to kill off WTCC by itself, but if the WTCC does end within the next 5 years I think the low cost of TCR participation will be something people point to.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Bentai posted:

When you have a corner like Lisboa and nowhere to go if one person makes a mistake, it's inevitable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzU3M-run0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM1DdHnnduM

And don't forget about the motos. This poor soul didn't make it, I'm afraid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9CbMwdo0-w

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Bentai posted:

Even better, at Lisboa the marshals are so prepared for an incident that they can clear half a dozen cars before the pack completes another lap, so it doesn't require so many safety cars.

Dudes on two wheels die at Macau though. The only place worse to die would be frozen in a trench in world war 1 France. Macau is a poo poo hole.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Whitey Ford posted:

Macau is a poo poo hole.

But it's a poo poo hole with character!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Continuing on the theme of this thread title - the rise and fall of an Australian Drag Car team boss and his drug business:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/nov/25/drag-racing-champ-brett-stevenss-drug-empire-a-crash-course-in-how-not-to-do-business

quote:

The supreme court judge who was about to send Brett “The Boss” Stevens to jail looked up with a realisation.

“He had a remarkable career,” Justice Peter Lyons said, interrupting Stevens’s lawyer as he ran through his background.

It was not just that Stevens, who now sat in a dress shirt, jeans and thongs poring over legal notes, was a three-time national champion in the high-risk, high-cost sport of drag racing.

As well as rising from apprentice mechanic to the pinnacle of the largely blue-collar motorsport, he had built a considerable business empire.

He had the country’s biggest drag race team – attracting sponsorship from Jack Daniel’s – was a manufacturer of car parts, had an earthmoving business, a cement haulage business with 14 trucks, a charter boat business and a tattoo shop.

He had 18ha in properties north of Brisbane worth $14m at their peak, a contract for a reality TV show and lived what the crown prosecutor described as “a celebrity lifestyle”.

Lyons said it was Stevens’s “capacity for hard work, [his] skill and energy” while having large numbers of people working under him that “might indicate a capacity to carry on” his shadow enterprise: a wholesale MDMA manufacturing and distribution business.

Stevens did not take drugs. But in the twilight of his racing career, tax and business debts were mounting up.

By the time of his last national championship in 2008, Stevens was orchestrating the sale of hundreds of thousands of ecstasy pills along the east coast. The pills, made up by presses in a series of rented homes across Brisbane, were meant to be a timely venture to solve his financial difficulties.

Through drag racing, Stevens knew a Sydney crime figure – a Serbian-born man who commands a formidable reputation throughout Australia’s underworld – and chalked up a $200,000 loan to him.

“That’s where all this poo poo has come from,” Stevens said last year.

“The coppers had [the Sydney man and his brother] under investigation and when those two were talking about the money that I owed him, the coppers obviously thought, ‘Aw, it’s a drug debt.’

“My gently caress up. I wasn’t wealthy and I needed some money because I got a bill from the taxman and I had to pay it.”

Stevens proved a tough nut for police to crack. In a manner typical of those at the apex of drug rings, Stevens directed his syndicate from a distance, spoke in code on the phone and met associates only in public, knowing he was under police surveillance.

Other forms of pressure were brought to bear on him.

Investigators once played his wife, Kath, a tapped phone call in which Stevens purportedly ordered services from a sex worker. It was irrelevant to Stevens’s criminal conduct. The couple regarded it as an attempt to divide them through humiliation.

His disgrace was further compounded by the publicity around his arrest. Sponsors disappeared, he was stripped of his racing records, his business loans were called in and his assets unloaded in a fire sale.

While on bail, the ever enterprising Stevens tried to rebuild a business career, including as “chief executive officer” of a quarry venture with a former Rebels bikie gang member under the company name Defwom, an acronym for “Don’t Ever gently caress With Our Money”.

Stevens had earlier hatched a plan to unload one of his frozen properties worth $2.2m to his wife, then Defwom, which ended up occupying it rent free before it was evicted by supreme court order.

The quarry foundered after a dispute with the landholder, as did Stevens’s other attempts at a career in mining and the transport business. By the time he was found guilty of trafficking and producing MDMA, he was working in demolition.

For his part, Stevens refused to cooperate and proclaimed his innocence to the end, soliciting donations on Facebook for his legal fees when his own funds ran dry.

“Honestly, I get paid to work, I rent a house now,” he said last year. “As long as my missus and kids are all right, if [going to jail] is what happens. [But] I can’t afford to go doing appeals. I can’t even afford a solicitor.”

His wife continues to stand by him.

The precise scale of Stevens’s drug business was unclear.

There was the testimony of his associates – who rolled despite his recorded threats to them – one of whom claimed he cleared $600,000 profit in six months at a margin of 50 cents a pill.

Lyons concluded Stevens probably made at least this much himself.

But the judge found a better indication of the trade he was doing were the amounts of cash seized by police from his associates and an employee on three occasions. These ranged from $99,000 to the $200,000 that was slated to repay the Serbian crime figure.

Lyons noted evidence by a police forensic accountant that Stevens had $1.2m in unexplained income but could not rule out the possibility that some of this was cash from racing merchandise sales.

Even if every cent were from drugs, such gains rate as a trifle beside the incomes of many other trafficking syndicate leaders busted in Queensland and Australia – a trifle even beside Stevens’s own capital gains through legitimate businesses until he hit the wall.

But his sentence of 13 years – which Lyons indicated was heavily weighted as a deterrent to others who would turn to trafficking as a commercial venture – ranks among the harshest punishments meted out to a Queensland trafficker. Amphetamines trafficker Charlie Cannon, who the government pursued for $27m in a proceeds of crime case, was given just over 12 years.

Rarely has a public figure lost so much for so little gain as Brett Stevens.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

You Am I posted:

Continuing on the theme of this thread title - the rise and fall of an Australian Drag Car team boss and his drug business:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/nov/25/drag-racing-champ-brett-stevenss-drug-empire-a-crash-course-in-how-not-to-do-business

I want to see the movie

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Are the Bray family really tomato farmers anyway?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Self-driving cars are gonna be a support race for Formula E next season. Identical cars but teams will have to code the AI that drives them themselves. This is gonna be either really cool or a complete disaster.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

njsykora posted:

Self-driving cars are gonna be a support race for Formula E next season. Identical cars but teams will have to code the AI that drives them themselves. This is gonna be either really cool or a complete disaster.

I am totally behind this and it will absolutely be a disaster.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

njsykora posted:

Oh jesus that's going to be absolutely terrible, I must watch it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

njsykora posted:

This is gonna be either really cool or a complete disaster.

Both. Gloriously both.

I think for the first few races it will play out like a (fun) shitshow where few teams know what the gently caress they're doing. Most everyone else will cause accidents at the start, accidents at the end of a straightaway, chicane-clogging spins where cars don't know how to react to one another, and cars that just sputter to a halt at the side of the road and give up.

By the end of the season, there will be obvious and noticeable progress, and people will go, "hey, this is actually quite cool" even though the Google car will have clinched the championship by the 7th race or something.

Formula E just gets more and more exciting. I approve.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

WindyMan posted:

Both. Gloriously both.

I think for the first few races it will play out like a (fun) shitshow where few teams know what the gently caress they're doing. Most everyone else will cause accidents at the start, accidents at the end of a straightaway, chicane-clogging spins where cars don't know how to react to one another, and cars that just sputter to a halt at the side of the road and give up.

So it'll be pretty much indistinguishable from every other lower formulae racing series?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The potential to be a hilarious poo poo show is the whole upside, but I can't see anyone programing their cars to ever take risks. If people do their jobs well it won't be interesting at all, so lets hope they gently caress it up bad.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

The potential to be a hilarious poo poo show is the whole upside, but I can't see anyone programing their cars to ever take risks. If people do their jobs well it won't be interesting at all, so lets hope they gently caress it up bad.

There's going to be a car programmed entirely from crowd sourced code, so there is potential for nerds to be reckless because they aren't paying for the car.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I like that WTCC has decided holding their races on a Friday evening is great way to avoid a TV overlap with forms of motorsport that are interesting

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

There will be the two cars for each team, though. They could set up one to be the "slow and steady" car, and the other one to be a bit more aggressive.

I wonder if it could be like B-Spec mode in Gran Turismo. The paddock could turn up or down the aggressiveness on the car depending on race conditions and strategy and whatnot.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I just imagine the people involved in the series will be people that want to sell or market self driving car stuff, which means crashes prolly aint what they after. Guess we will see!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

I just imagine the people involved in the series will be people that want to sell or market self driving car stuff, which means crashes prolly aint what they after. Guess we will see!

But they're also going to want to prove that self driving cars aren't going to be stupidly slow compared to a human driver. Given that the state of racing game AI is still not great, I can't wait for every race to be red flagged because of turn 1 pileups.

Also we get to enjoy horrific crashes immediately without having to worry about whether anyone died.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

I can see first year being a shitshow. Can't wait for one to BSoD and plow through all the cars through a wall.

On a completely different note, listen to this podcast because it's loving amazing. Dinner with Racers. Podcasts have had guests of all lights of motorsport from Bill Riley, to Jeff Braun, to Andy Lally, to the Taylor Bros., and to Bob Varsha and our quest to find young pictures of him.

http://www.dinnerwithracers.com/

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

njsykora posted:

I want to see hackers trying to break into the cars and insert the past0r_skillZ.exe into the cars mid race

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

I want to see hackers trying to break into the cars and insert the past0r_skillZ.exe into the cars mid race

>put forza.m.Rossi.vbs
>send spike

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

IOwnCalculus posted:

>put forza.m.Rossi.vbs
>send spike

I want to see Polyphony and Turn 10 program one car each.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Cygni posted:

Not crashing and easy to avoid crashing are already huge marketing points for OEMs now yet human driven cars at tracks still crash a lot so who knows!

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Can't post on my phone, but Audi showed their next lmp1... It looks like utter poo poo. Burn it down, revive GT1.

E: http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122045

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 28, 2015

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

BMB5150 posted:

Can't post on my phone, but Audi showed their next lmp1... It looks like utter poo poo. Burn it down, revive GT1.

Reminds me of :frogdowns:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
At least we only have to look at 2 of them for LeMans

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BMB5150 posted:

I can see first year being a shitshow. Can't wait for one to BSoD and plow through all the cars through a wall.

On a completely different note, listen to this podcast because it's loving amazing. Dinner with Racers. Podcasts have had guests of all lights of motorsport from Bill Riley, to Jeff Braun, to Andy Lally, to the Taylor Bros., and to Bob Varsha and our quest to find young pictures of him.

http://www.dinnerwithracers.com/

This is really good, especially the Tommy Kendall one.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Cubey posted:

Also Codemasters, ISI, SMS et al.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I don't pay all that close attention to prototypes besides for a bit of Le Mans, but :barf:

When's the last time someone built a P1 car that didn't look like butt?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BMB5150 posted:

Looks like something from Ridge Racer and for that reason it owns

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That looks horribly ugly and I like the current Indycar.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Lord Crapulus posted:

I don't pay all that close attention to prototypes besides for a bit of Le Mans, but :barf:

When's the last time someone built a P1 car that didn't look like butt?

oddly enough, the closest thing to a good looking prototype this century was built by Panoz lol

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cubey posted:

Polyphony would take 7 years to program one, and release it with the previous generation's setup

Turn 10 would rush one out, then ask for micro transactions to keep it running

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

oddly enough, the closest thing to a good looking prototype this century was built by Panoz lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPVYPuWPpAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUNEc3cHfCg

The GTR1 really was a beautiful car and fast as gently caress until it got regulated out of existence.

The LMP1 was the same everything as a GTR1 with a different body cover and the top lopped off, and it competed and won a fuckton even in the P900 class. Panoz hasn't made another car in that vein in a long time, but when they did they were amazing. Too bad they are chasing that Delta Wang dream atm, they need to build another GTLM eligible version of the Esparante and win some races finally.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 30, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
People over in Europe go nuts over American V8 sounds, and man did the GTR1 have a great sound.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yall are clearly thinking of the Abruzzi!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
look at it killing those LMP's

• Locked thread