Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Worse yet are the personal consequences of working there. In the early days CIG was considered a really interesting, exciting place to work. Now people who get out are considered refugees by the rest of the game developer community, and are met at the door with warm blankets and consistent design docs. At some point working there could very well be a black mark, especially if you worked on production or technical design as opposed to the art side of things.

Not only will they stop putting money into it, they'll actively take it out. Either through refund demands, chargebacks, or some other form of action. Possibly lawsuits. The magnitude of the community's enthusiasm reflects the potential for their hatred should CIG fail them, and angry people can be vindictive people.

Yeah I have a copy of the game. It's a ton of fun and doesn't crash every five minutes. Clearly the developers are using the term "alpha" wrong and meant "early beta" because THAT'S HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE.

Most people who work at CIG have little interaction with fawning, knob sucking ur-spergs like The Wulge (who is actively derided and loathed by the people he thinks are his friends), and my understanding is that they're just doing the best they can to do their jobs. I doubt the freelance artists and modelers care, same with external houses like Behavior, since in those cases they have contracts to fulfill and work to get done. That said you're right about the work environment and how CIG is viewed outside those barred windows. Some folks (notably Ben and Jared) are almost certainly hosed beyond redemption if they look for another job in the game community.

^this. All of it. No further comments needed. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Someone send Croberts the source code of Quake 3, he could copy and paste the multiplayer out of that..

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Chalks posted:

Yeah, don't lie to yourself this game has been in production for less than two years. Pay no attention to the fact that no game has ever measured production in this way.

I think it's only fair to subtract the time people at CIG were asleep. So if you think about it the game has only been in production for 1 1/2 years.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Star Citizen began production in May 2014, I don't understand why you people keep repeating the long discredited canard "oh it's been in production for a decade now lol".

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Berious posted:

I think it's only fair to subtract the time people at CIG were asleep. So if you think about it the game has only been in production for 1 1/2 years.

Are you counting the fact that a normal work day is only 8 hours? You also need to substract holidays. With those numbers, it's only been in development since July '15.

I mean, why else is it called an ALPHA?! Cause its year 1, duh!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

Thanks for clarifying that, I'm glad that I wasn't going completely insane thinking that they'd said it wasn't an MMO.

I wonder what the hell they actually think they're making. Whether they're trying to make an MMO or if they're aware that it's a terrible idea and are actually going to make an instanced/lobby game then try to pretend that it's an MMO.

The whole process is so opaque, it's really hilarious how they keep spouting off about "open development" when this is one of the only times that it's been literally impossible to tell what a game is from the outside.

Yes, I think that's where we are now and that's going to be the end game. Once the revert happens, it's going to be Chris reverting back to it not being an MMO. Pretty much how, just this past Oct, he (or was it Ben, I have the link in Evernote somewhere) was saying that SQ42 was the game they promised.

There is absolutely no loving way they can build this universe - as pitched - using CryEngine3 or any version of it. I don't care how much whale sperm they spray on it.

In the end, if they survive long enough to say they've delivered on promises, it's going to be an instanced game in which all players (hopefully 16 clients) have their own pocket universe. The fact that Chris mentioned Eve, yet completely and utterly forgetting that Eve is a completely different game, goes to show how ignorant he is about how MMO games are actually built.

Remember, it's now end of 2015 and anyone who thinks they are capable of releasing both Star Citizen and SQ42 in 2016 as per Chris's usual bullshit statements, is just a delusional White Knight.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Are you counting the fact that a normal work day is only 8 hours? You also need to substract holidays. With those numbers, it's only been in development since July '15.

I mean, why else is it called an ALPHA?! Cause its year 1, duh!

I am flabbergasted by what CIG managed to achieve in these few months, by next summer the game should be more than complete and they'll already be working on the expansions. I heard the first one was going to include 400 new star systems? :woop:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Star citizen has always been in development. It will always be in development. Star citizen is the perfect androgyne and will rule the universe as it's God emperor.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
In the beginning there was darkness,
and the LORD said "Let there be ships"
and he saw they were good.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ben replied, “Even if all abandon you, I never will.”

“Truly I tell you,” Croberts answered, “this very night, before the rooster crows, you will ask for a refund.”

But Ben declared, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never ask for a refund.” And all the other disciples said the same.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Last night I crashed a buggy into a couch until it exploded, great game

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

and the LORD said "Let there be ships"
and he saw they were good.

And on the seventh day, he made all the artists redo the concept art. Amen.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Edit: The couch did not explode

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Cao Ni Ma posted:

"Lets spend thousands upon thousands of man hour designing a ship and its mini games that is ultimately frivolous and completely unnecessary!" Chris Roberts 2015

Look at what 2.0 has right now after 3-4 years of development then look at whats going to be needed to get the ship "working":

A working economy. Without this the ship is useless (it already is because its function has been undermined for marketing purposes) For a working economy to actually exist, you have to have a market. The markets have to be regional to allow things like shipping to actually make sense.For a market to exist, there have to products to actually list. For these products to exist there needs to be a means to get the materials processed and ready for use in their creation. But first you need to actually get the materials in the first place. And most these things need to have a functioning storage system for the transportation of goods.

Have we actually seen any of this foundation in game already? How long do you think it'll take to get them operational? Then take into account that the ships systems minutia are probably more complex than the fundamentals needed for a whole lot more of their game to work.

It's all bollocks. Which is why I said that they haven't even got 10% of what they promised working yet.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Should never have trusted that Lightbringer fellow with the community management, he wasn't shaved at all.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

Yeah, don't lie to yourself this game has been in production for less than two years. Pay no attention to the fact that no game has ever measured production in this way.

I just responded to this same very thing in on my website.

quote:

Hi Derek,

I am also a backer of Star Citizen but luckily I only invested USD 65. I am also very suspicious about the whole project.

What I dont understand is why you always repeat that the development started 4 years ago and that 500+ people are working on it. From what I know that is not true. Maybe you should be more precise with these statements.

Even if the prototype was in development for one year starting 2011, it doesnt make much sense to add it to the whole development time. And the whole year 2013, when less than 50 people were working on it, shouldnt be added either. I would say Star Citizen is in development for 2,5 years (middle of 2013 till end of 2015) with a staff of 150 people.

Best regards.

quote:

Sorry no, that’s not how that works. The prototype (proof-of-concept) stages all took time, money etc. So yeah, it’s 4 yrs. You don’t just ignore that, throw out the time, effort, money – just because you can.

That never – ever – happens in reality. That’s like saying when you’re about to build a house, the time taken to find the land, get the permits, draw up the architectural plans etc, should all be discarded because they are of no relevance to when they started the construction.

Chris himself has gone on the record as saying that “development” started in 2011. His words. Nobody made that up.

Also, here is a statement from Ben Lesnick back in Dec 2014

quote:

“One important note: the footage you see in the trailer is in-engine, not pre-rendered! Chris put together a live Star Citizen demo for the announcement at GDC Next. Chris created the Squadron 42 demo by himself over the course of a year or so, with support from his old friends where needed (especially for the art, as the demo needed three ship exterior models, internals for the Bengal and one cockpit.)

This was not a game, or even something that would become a game – it was a proof of concept to show investors (and then the public) that the CryEngine could be adopted for the game we wanted to make. There was no privately funded game development period with different investors. We had investors lined up to support the project IF we could hit the crowd funding goals… but not before. There were no development studios or producers or schedules or network engineers or 3D artists or anything of that nature working on Star Citizen before the end of the campaign in November, 2012.

As for the overall speed of development today – we’ll always do our best to show you how it’s going. To be honest, I came in thinking exactly the same thing: how are we going to do these ten thousand things and finish what we’ve promised? Martin Galway explained it to me best: making a game is a lot like a roller coaster… it feels like you’re going up and up and up forever, seeming to have a minimal return. But that’s because the first half of the experience is building the systems that let the ride down happen. There’s a point in the development cycle where we hit the top and suddenly you see how the production team has plotted all the pieces to start coming together. I think we’re near the top of the coaster now – for the first time, I can look at the pieces and absolutely understand how Star Citizen happens.”

So, it’s either 4 or 3 years, depending on who is counting. And if they paid themselves for the work prior to Nov 2012 as has been rumored, then it’s all the more relevant to count that 1 year.

And the 500 head count is a number that Chris himself has already quoted numerous times. Many have come and gone, and right now that count, across four locations, is around 300 people. Just because there are less people now, doesn’t negate the work that those who have since left, had done.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

and the LORD said "Let there be chips"
and lesnick ate them - they were good.

ftfy

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

I think once aircraft get plugged in I might check out Line of Defense. I bet it will be good.

It is. Even if I say so myself. And it's everything I promised to do. Fly in space, on planets, fps (space, planet, inside stations, carrier), multi-crew, 100% persistent etc.

If you haven't yet, check out the changelog which I updated to include what's coming in that massive update.

And in the background, work continues on visual improvements now that we've got the engine benchmark down pat. http://lodmmo.com/15-10-27-state-of-play/

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CrazyLoon posted:

...and she wears it outside of said audition because...?

Well, I know Jaimie Alexander wears her tattoos outside of filming a lot, but that's because Blindspot has her in a full-body fake tattoo and that's hard to reapply.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

EightAce posted:

They have already said multi player is no longer in sq42 , caused some pissed off cultists to post.
Also as the pc gamer article highlighted, there is no sq42, just some pretty poo poo in an editor. He said that in the article after visiting the studio.
Didnt you have a scoop on a Ranch? Seems like you alluded to something then never disclosed it.

If I missed it let me know.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

i see they are going for the wing commander style of gravity

where is the bulldozer to push that ship off the space station?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Well, I know Jaimie Alexander wears her tattoos outside of filming a lot, but that's because Blindspot has her in a full-body fake tattoo and that's hard to reapply.
The main takeaway with the tattoos is that Sandi is not letting her CIG responsibilities get in the way of her acting ambitions.

This was an allegation of ex-employees in the Escapist article-- and we see it confirmed yet again during one of the most critical weeks of CIG's year.

This is only possible because her husband is the Chairman / Founder / Head of the company. That is one of the perks of their Nepotistic joint power-sharing agreement. Sandi sure as hell would not support and encourage her subordinates to pursue their own vanity projects on company time -- she's the sort who fires competent workaholics with little life outside of CIG.

I can see why Chelsea rolled her eyes in disgust and shot a look to James in that infamous RtV when Ben kiss-assedly started introducing Sandi's SQ42 acting experience. It seems clearer than ever now.

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.

:allears:https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/300052/when-we-hit-100-mill#latest

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The proudest moment of his life is a random video game taking 100 million dollars in pre-orders... I take back everything I've said about SC not being life changing for some people. This guy seems to have had such a bland life that SC being a flappy bird clone would be life changing for him.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

Star Citizen began production in May 2014, I don't understand why you people keep repeating the long discredited canard "oh it's been in production for a decade now lol".

Yes, that's bollocks.

And long discredited by whom exactly. Cite your sources please. Thanks.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It's gonna be awesome when we hit $100 million, just look at all this nice furniture we bought already. I'm really looking forward to the next vacation we will take in Monaco.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Okay, is this literally a religion now? Can we have a $100 million stretch goal to build a golden idol of Chris Roberts?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

And long discredited by whom exactly. Cite your sources please. Thanks.

By you. You said it didn't you? That's enough for any sensible person.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

By you. You said it didn't you? That's enough for any sensible person.

wait! wot!?

I was referring to the "May 2014" production start date as being bollocks.

quote:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

wait! wot!?

I was referring to the "May 2014" production start date as being bollocks.

We know very well what you were "referring to" don't try to backtrack now.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

You know.. you may have just earned another sale for your game. maybe if i buy it you can have 13 active users a day :D

at least for a few days.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 28, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So when is limited air supply going to be a thing when jetpacking around in your astrosuit? What about oxygen tank management? Can I control how much of a given chemical is in my tank? Where do I go for replacements or additional packs? Can I tamper or poison their supply thus driving my economy up?

Chris, please make the 100 million mark reward "Manual control of breathing and blinking" coupled with "Oxygen tank management"

Thanks

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

It is. Even if I say so myself. And it's everything I promised to do. Fly in space, on planets, fps (space, planet, inside stations, carrier), multi-crew, 100% persistent etc.

If you haven't yet, check out the changelog which I updated to include what's coming in that massive update.

And in the background, work continues on visual improvements now that we've got the engine benchmark down pat. http://lodmmo.com/15-10-27-state-of-play/

Some of those new models look really good. You said the aircraft patch is next month or so, right?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

What a sad, pathetic little life that man must live.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
Having to manually control your own breathing would be stupid.

I mean, if I have to manually control my breathing then why WOULDN'T I pick sleep apnea as a negative trait to get some extra points while min/maxing my char?

Stop pigeonholing my builds.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

xanif posted:

Having to manually control your own breathing would be stupid.

I mean, if I have to manually control my breathing then why WOULDN'T I pick sleep apnea as a negative trait to get some extra points while min/maxing my char?

Stop pigeonholing my builds.

Hey gently caress you dude. Now I got aware of my breathing and have to breathe consciously until I forget about it again.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

All the goons who have accounts should make a serious effort post on the SC forums and recommend an RTS mode in the Homeworld 2 style where a commander could give orders to all the player ships on his side. push REALLY hard with some serious posting and see if we can catch Croberts attention and make him promise MORE vaporware.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010
Two years ago I would have never imagined a crowd-funded game making its way up to the budget of something like GTA 3. I'm entirely surprised they've made it this far.

I've been playing a bit on the PTU. The server infrastructure is unstable again after the 50,000 additional users, supposedly there's another patch today, so I'm looking forward to trying that out. Warts and all, it's been fun when it is stable. There's something about finally being able to warp around to multiple points, get out of my ship and wander through a station that makes my dreams as a kid playing X-Wing seem alive. Now I just need my buddy to be able to join me and crew in the Constellation and I think I'll be set for awhile.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

14 years of reading these forums and octopode is the first person i've found irritating enough to add to my ignore list. now stop quoting him you idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

grimcreaper posted:

All the goons who have accounts should make a serious effort post on the SC forums and recommend an RTS mode in the Homeworld 2 style where a commander could give orders to all the player ships on his side. push REALLY hard with some serious posting and see if we can catch Croberts attention and make him promise MORE vaporware.

Already promised. That's actually when I made my first pledge for Star Citizen. It's the $13,000,000 goal: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Command and Control Center – Supervise the battle from the deck of your Idris or Destroyer (class TBA) with advanced C&C packages that allow you to tie all of your ships together and assume central command from the 3rd seat.

• Locked thread