Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

grimcreaper posted:

All the goons who have accounts should make a serious effort post on the SC forums and recommend an RTS mode in the Homeworld 2 style where a commander could give orders to all the player ships on his side. push REALLY hard with some serious posting and see if we can catch Croberts attention and make him promise MORE vaporware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

Yeah, don't lie to yourself this game has been in production for less than two years. Pay no attention to the fact that no game has ever measured production in this way.

It would be charitable to say out of the 37 months this company has been formed since the 10/10/12 start, 20 have been spent on the product moving forward. The rest of the time it's 1-step-forward-2-steps-back due to new tech adoptions, new design standards, and countless art redesigns.

CrazyLoon posted:

...and she wears it outside of said audition because...?

It's either a henna-style tat, or she has been told under no uncertain terms that if that tat washes off she'll be replaced (because she's a non-speaking extra).

Speaking of Sandi, another deep thought...

So during during my own investigation as to what was up at CIG, I wondered "Why did no one file complaints against CIG for verbal abuse/bigotry/etc?"

Sandi, as she has said, wears many hats. One of those hats is HR.

If you have a problem with an employee, you go to your immediate supervisor, obviously. They go to HR to file this complaint.
If you have a problem with Sandi, you go to your immediate supervisor, and they go to Sandi to fil-holy poo poo no I am not picking this fight.
If you have a problem with Sandi, and you work in CS/PR/CM, you go to your immediate supervisor OH HELLO SANDI NOTHING I WAS JUST USING THE BATHROOM!

Alternatively, if you have a problem with the HR department, you go to the boss that hired them and file a complaint.
Alternatively, if you have a problem with Sandi, you go to her husband Chris Roberts that h-gently caress this I am not putting my rear end on the line for this.
Alternatively, if you have a problem with Sandi, and you work in CS/PR/CM, you go talk to her huband Chris Ro-WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING UP HERE GO BACK TO THE PIT!

It is, in this situation, where you must face both Sandi and her husband for both the primary points of contact for a HR complaint, I would assume that many employees would say "gently caress this poo poo".

But why not sue? Certainly there are industry lawyers that understand workplace compliance law and would lay it down?

It turns out, and Derek can probably back me up on this, is two-fold:
1) Many industry employees are not affluent enough to financially afford a long legal battle with their employer. Any time spent in court is time spent not making rent.
2) Many industry employees do not know their workplace compliance rights, and while there have been strides to nullify this, there are still some laws that place the onus of responsibility on the employee.

The industry is a small one, and rocking the boat sometimes gets you unofficially black-listed for a spell (to cool off). As such, employees with opt to say "gently caress it", and either endure abuse in the hopes of shipping the product, or find a new job now to quietly GTFO of the current bad workplace.

The accusations are in The Escapist article. Anonymous. Some of those are known to me.

I think the sad part is that Smart's class action lawsuit will ever so briefly touch upon these accusations merely as a point to render upon the defendant's "character" and move on.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I had a steak today

It was a life changing experience

I played a game today

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bootcha posted:

It would be charitable to say out of the 37 months this company has been formed since the 10/10/12 start, 20 have been spent on the product moving forward. The rest of the time it's 1-step-forward-2-steps-back due to new tech adoptions, new design standards, and countless art redesigns.

It's either a henna-style tat, or she has been told under no uncertain terms that if that tat washes off she'll be replaced (because she's a non-speaking extra).

So during during my own investigation as to what was up at CIG, I wondered "Why did no one file complaints against CIG for verbal abuse/bigotry/etc?"

If you have a problem with an employee, you go to your immediate supervisor, obviously. They go to HR to file this complaint.
If you have a problem with Sandi, you go to your immediate supervisor, and they go to Sandi to fil-holy poo poo no I am not picking this fight.
If you have a problem with Sandi, and you work in CS/PR/CM, you go to your immediate supervisor OH HELLO SANDI NOTHING I WAS JUST USING THE BATHROOM!

Alternatively, if you have a problem with the HR department, you go to the boss that hired them and file a complaint.
Alternatively, if you have a problem with Sandi, you go to her husband Chris Roberts that h-gently caress this I am not putting my rear end on the line for this.
Alternatively, if you have a problem with Sandi, and you work in CS/PR/CM, you go talk to her huband Chris Ro-WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING UP HERE GO BACK TO THE PIT!

It is, in this situation, where you must face both Sandi and her husband for both the primary points of contact for a HR complaint, I would assume that many employees would say "gently caress this poo poo".

But why not sue? Certainly there are industry lawyers that understand workplace compliance law and would lay it down?

1) Many industry employees are not affluent enough to financially afford a long legal battle with their employer. Any time spent in court is time spent not making rent.
2) Many industry employees do not know their workplace compliance rights, and while there have been strides to nullify this, there are still some laws that place the onus of responsibility on the employee.

The industry is a small one, and rocking the boat sometimes gets you unofficially black-listed for a spell (to cool off). As such, employees with opt to say "gently caress it", and either endure abuse in the hopes of shipping the product, or find a new job now to quietly GTFO of the current bad workplace.

The accusations are in The Escapist article. Anonymous. Some of those are known to me.

I think the sad part is that Smart's class action lawsuit will ever so briefly touch upon these accusations merely as a point to render upon the defendant's "character" and move on.

If you check out that video of the Santa Monica tour, it briefly shows a lady in the very back who she says is HR. Anybody know what happened to her?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

I had a steak today

I played a game today

This post changed my life.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Loiosh posted:

Already promised. That's actually when I made my first pledge for Star Citizen. It's the $13,000,000 goal: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Command and Control Center – Supervise the battle from the deck of your Idris or Destroyer (class TBA) with advanced C&C packages that allow you to tie all of your ships together and assume central command from the 3rd seat.

Huh.. im not sure how i missed that. But its still based on your own ships only, not commanding all the players in the vicinity in the Natural Selection commander style. I want the Homeworld 2 RTS except using players instead of your own ships like Natural Selection commander mode.

I also want Space Marine style combat armor, chainsaw swords, massive bolter style guns for fps.

On a serious note, since SC is supposed to be about *realism* in many ways: Croberts needs to actually go in and talk to some serious military delevopment tech firms and see that EVERYTHING hes doing with his ships AND fps side of stuff is not just wrong, but absolutely wrong. Were talking roughly 1000 years in the future (i could be wrong its been a while since i cared enough to look it up) and we already have tech IN THE MAKING that makes stuff in SC look antiquated.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

grimcreaper posted:

Huh.. im not sure how i missed that. But its still based on your own ships only, not commanding all the players in the vicinity in the Natural Selection commander style. I want the Homeworld 2 RTS except using players instead of your own ships like Natural Selection commander mode.

It'll be supposedly very much like Natural Selection where you'll have your own ship drones/resources and still be able to issue waypoints and orders to players. But who knows, that just is -just- starting development now.

quote:

On a serious note, since SC is supposed to be about *realism* in many ways: Croberts needs to actually go in and talk to some serious military delevopment tech firms and see that EVERYTHING hes doing with his ships AND fps side of stuff is not just wrong, but absolutely wrong. Were talking roughly 1000 years in the future (i could be wrong its been a while since i cared enough to look it up) and we already have tech IN THE MAKING that makes stuff in SC look antiquated.

That choice is intentional. If it was following a more realistic design we end up with what Enemy Starfighter is doing, where all the fighters are basically drones that are AI controlled, but pilots can control any ship and ASSUMING MANUAL CONTROL. The design of SC it to kinda be like WW II dogfighting.. in sppacceee. How well they hit that goal is anyone's guess. So far, I've been having mild fun with 2.0, but I know there's so much more work to be done.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Somebody posted the Chelsea eyeroll thing episode a while back, can you post it again? I forgot to bookmark it.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Variable 5 posted:

This post changed my life.

Looking forward to the point we discover all the SC backers were just being ironic.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

EightAce fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 7, 2016

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Hey gently caress you dude. Now I got aware of my breathing and have to breathe consciously until I forget about it again.

Also you can see your nose.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Found a thing on the sperghive with instructions to run the PTU in singleplayer offline for people who don't have PTU access. Gonna give it a shot today I think.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

EightAce posted:

Yes I was not of sound mind at the time of writing and if I expand anymore I will get at least two people in a lot of trouble .
Fair enough. Not worth it if there's collateral damage-- that's the kind of damage Sandi specializes in.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

grimcreaper posted:

What does this mean, how can you fly more than one ship into combat?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Loiosh posted:

It'll be supposedly very much like Natural Selection where you'll have your own ship drones/resources and still be able to issue waypoints and orders to players. But who knows, that just is -just- starting development now.

That choice is intentional. If it was following a more realistic design we end up with what Enemy Starfighter is doing, where all the fighters are basically drones that are AI controlled, but pilots can control any ship and ASSUMING MANUAL CONTROL. The design of SC it to kinda be like WW II dogfighting.. in sppacceee. How well they hit that goal is anyone's guess. So far, I've been having mild fun with 2.0, but I know there's so much more work to be done.

Yeah i understand that part. i dont mind shirking some *realism* for the sake of gameplay. For example: The FPS side does NOT and SHOULD NOT use your breathing to affect accuracy. The people are wearing light exoskeleton suits designed for CQC. Different military groups the world over are already developing tech that will completely eliminate the need to monitor your breathing while shooting via In-Development exosuits. Things like this, done for *immersion* are absolutely ridiculous and upon noticing it, i would most likely stop playing and try to get a refund. I dont mind Realism where it counts, but it should absolutely NEVER come at the cost of game play. Push it where it counts and let gameplay take precedence in the areas where *fun and engaging* are more needed.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

Small combat drones. The capital ships can get them* - The mining ship has some mining drones*

*Like everything else: Eventually

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

You can hire NPCs to fly your other ships I think. But I think the assumption that it's not NS2 style might be wrong. I think the idea is if you have a bunch of your friends in a group or whatever, one of you can be designated the C&C guy and give waypoints and poo poo to your other friends.

Of course just like everything else nobody will have any idea how it works until someone forces Croberts to come up with something.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

You got me. Its an unknown but i would assume it lets you, while near a station with your docked ships, allows you to push an AI-controller to the ships you own, at least in theory, and then commander-view your group around RTS style. Its stated "allow you to tie all of your ships" in the picture below

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Realism? Bullshit! Each individual leg, arm, finger should be under direct player control.

New $100 million stretch: Star QWOP

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bootcha posted:

Thanks for posting this. That is really sad to read. I feel sorry for those employees. It really is a no win for them no matter what they do. The fact that there won't be any action taken, ensuring CiC will face no consequences for those abuses is shameful.

xanif posted:

Also you can see your nose.
You poo poo!

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Eonwe posted:

I had a steak today

I played a game today

This touches me on the inside. Thank you Eonwe.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I cant believe i missed Bootcha's post... Thats absolutely awful and i hadnt thought of that.

Considering the problems im having with my own HR manager and Store Director, i couldnt even begin to imagine NOT having someone higher up to go to. That would be insane and absolutely awful. Its a shame there arent REAL investors left who could demand a new HR and make both Croberts and his Wife accountable for things.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
A bunch of people have already told Octopod to shut the gently caress up about this bullshit, but I've been compiling these for an epic response. So here goes.

Everything he has said related to the game being a $20m game from the start, is pure bollocks.

Kickstarter statement, Oct 2012

quote:

Here’s the deal. We’re doing crowdfunding on Kickstarter and on our own website (over here)

The great news is that we’ve already raised enough money to ensure this project will happen! But we don’t want to stop there. We have a lot more we want to add to Star Citizen and we need your help to do it!

The money raised on our site and here on Kicktstarter are combined to determine which of the main stretch goals* we’ve met, but Kickstarter has its own unique set of stretch goals! These will be ADDITIONAL to the main ones.

* That original stretch goal link on KS page is dead. So I grabbed an archived (10-27-12) copy for context

We have investors that have agreed to contribute the balance we need to complete this game as long as we can validate that there is a demand for a high end PC space game. By meeting or surpassing our target on Kickstarter you tell the world that you want a PC based Space Sim and allow us to make this game.

The people who pledge for their spaceships will get to test-fly them long before the general public. 12 months in, we will allow the early backers to play the multiplayer space combat Alpha, and then 20-22 months in they will get to play the Star Citizen Beta, adventuring around the huge open galaxy, well before the general public. We are going to limit our alpha slots to 200,000 as we want to stress test the game with real users, but will not be ready for the full load until we have finished Beta.

We are aiming for a AAA game experience. But depending on the funding levels reached, we may have to limit the experience for the initially released game version. Nonetheless, Chris Roberts and his teams have shown consistently that they are able to develop epic story-based games. Even with our very limited self-funding we have been able to do already a lot of work which is why we can show you not just concept art and a cinematic trailer, but an extensive demo of actual game play. So, we are confident that even with limited means we will be able to deliver an amazing experience.

The purpose of the higher stretch goals is to ensure that the game-as-described is finished in the two year time period. We intend to build the game that Chris Roberts described at GDC Online regardless, but without additional funding we are going to have to do it one piece at a time, starting with Squadron 42, rather than as a single larger production. With more funding we can include more ships, systems, unique locations, animations and cinematic sequences.

Chris, Feb 2013

quote:

OP - I think that you misunderstood what Eric was saying.

I will never build a game that I don't have full creative control. Its one of the reasons I haven't built another Wing Commander despite overtures over the years from EA to come back.

Having said that Star Citizen has always had financial investors as the estimated budget for Star Citizen was bigger than I thought was possible through crowd funding. We were clear about this from the start. If we didn't have this I don't think anyone would have believed we could build the game we're building.

The great thing with the success of the crowd funding is that we now actually need a lot less of this money, which means that the investors will have a much smaller share of the company and thus less say in the long term business decisions of the company (which are different than the creative decisions made building Star Citizen). There was a fairly lengthy interview I did in GamesBeat that goes into detail on way this is a good thing and why the more we raise during development from the crowd why it will be better for the community and the long term direction of the game. You can read the interview here -

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/12/with-7-7m-raised-via-crowdfunding-chris-roberts-makes-his-sci-fi-game-in-the-public-eye-interview/

My dream is to make Star Citizen a 100% community funded game, with the investor money being only for contingency. I'm not counting on this but if we can do this is will be saying something about the power of the crowd as Star Citizen is not your normal crowd funded game - its something that will compete with the biggest AAA games out there.

I hope this makes you feel better!

-Chris

The beauty of digital is you don’t have those cost-of-goods issues. Nobody’s asking you to manufacture four million discs at $10 dollars a pop up front. You can scale with it. When we finish Star Citizen, we’ll be an expensive game. We won’t be as expensive as a big triple-A console game, but we’ll have about as much value and assets in it. We don’t have the same issues of manufacturing a bunch of physical goods and getting them into the channel. We’re capturing a much larger percentage of the final price. That’s a big issue, if I’m selling a $60-dollar game and only putting $35 dollars in my pocket. In our case, we can sell a $60-dollar game and just give three or four percent to the payment provider. It’s an opportunity for someone like me. I can be in the business without selling four million copies and still do very well.

New stretch goals explaination, Aug 2013

quote:

We are pleased to announce the next set of stretch goals for Star Citizen. When we started to build Star Citizen, the goal was to raise $2 million to prove to investors that there was a market for space sims. What we’ve realized since then is that YOU are responsible for this game and not investors. So we’re going all the way: crowd funding will raise the $21 million needed to produce a AAA space sim. These are the next stretch goals that will take us there—more will be revealed as they are achieved!

YouTube video interview, April 30, 2013

quote:

The game on the low side was going to be about 14 million dollars to make and the high side, which is where we are at now, is going to be about 20 million.

quote:

April 30, 2013: “the game on the low side was going to be about 14 million dollars to make and the high side, which is where we are at now, is going to be about 20 million”

https://youtu.be/6vzlda0-XoY?t=490

May 17, 2013: “I mean it’s going to cost 20 million dollars plus by the time it’s all finished”

https://youtu.be/hYFCfRK4e6Y?t=20m12s

May 17, 2013: “then we’ll go live after the beta which I would anticipate would be sometime in early 2015. But essentially from the end of 2014 you should be able to play the full game but it will just be beta because there will still be things to tweak and balance.”

https://youtu.be/hYFCfRK4e6Y?t=24m30s

May 20, 2013: "Erik Kain @ 19:38: To round things out, you have about 9.5 million dollars in crowdfunding, new offices, what’s the road map from here? Where do you go for the rest of 2013? Where will you be next year?

Chris: So one of things we’re doing that I think is different from every other crowdfunded game that I’ve seen out there – although I could be corrected – is that we’re approaching the development process in terms of what our backers get differently. We’re sort of approaching it, because Star Citizen is pretty big and pretty ambitious game – I mean it’s going to cost 20 million dollars plus by the time its all finished. What we’re doing is essentially taking components of functionality in the game and we’ll be splitting them out and letting the community – the backers – interact, use them, play with them before the final game is all brought together."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/05/20/star-citizen-an-interview-with-chris-roberts-on-his-ambitious-space-simulation-game/

August 18, 2015: “When we first started, we raised $6 million with crowdfunding,” Roberts told me. “That was a lot, but it still wasn’t what we were gonna make the game for because we had private investors lined up. At that point, we were thinking of making a much more contained game.”

http://kotaku.com/why-star-citizen-is-taking-so-long-1724835913

NONE of the above FACTS point to ANYTHING remotely related to this poo poo you posted below.

Essentially, if anyone were to go with that logic, you are saying that Chris lied (heh) when he went on KS to ask for $500K knowing that he couldn't have built the game promised if

i) no investors put up the remaining to reach $20m

ii) the crowdfunding raised the $500K required but not the $20m

This despite the fact that, right there, he promised a Nov, 2014 delivery date for a finished game and for which he got $2.1m on KS.

That $2m raised on KS, coupled with what they had raised on their website prior to KS, exceeded their target for making the game they pitched on KS.

That morphed into what the final stretch goals ended up looking like past KS: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals.

Octopode posted:

Well, they never planned to make a game for $2M. The initial budget was ~$20M.

Octopode posted:

You don't even have the basic facts of the initial funding campaign correct. The goal was specifically to raise $2M to $4M, and was explicitly stated from the day the funding campaign went live on the game's website to be in order to secure the remainder of funding from outside investors. You can easily verify this using archive.org.

There's also several older interviews and articles that coroborrate a ~$20M initial target budget, like https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13103-New-Stretch-Goals which was ported over from their old site, or this RPS interview after $8M in funding, which states they're still going with VC investors, even well above the amount you claim was their initial budget target: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/20/chris-roberts-on-life-after-crowdfunding-games-vs-film/

There's literally nothing to support your claim of a $2M target budget.

Octopode posted:

They needed 10% of the total budget raised through both Kickstarter and their website combined as front money to secure the rest of the original investor budget. The actual Kickstarter goal was only $500k, with the rest planned to come from the original funding campaign on their website.

Octopode posted:

Yes. It's right there in the original Kickstarter description, even:

"We have investors that have agreed to contribute the balance we need to complete this game as long as we can validate that there is a demand for a high end PC space game. By meeting or surpassing our target on Kickstarter you tell the world that you want a PC based Space Sim and allow us to make this game."

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 28, 2015

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

That post was so long I forgot what we were arguing about. All hail Derek Smart, the great Uniter of Peoples.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010
Looks like he said over $10 million to Ars: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/star-citizens-chris-roberts-discusses-upping-the-ante-on-pc-gaming/

It sounds like a lot to promise, especially for a game that is relying on crowdfunding donations to help get it made (Roberts says additional private investment will help push the total budget above $10 million).

[Thanks, Bootcha!]

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

http://tinypic.com/r/14sf5ub/9

I am just going to set this suspicious package down right here and run away.

My video skills pale to Boocha's. :(

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Some of those new models look really good. You said the aircraft patch is next month or so, right?

I think so too. The characters, weapons, aircraft, vehicles etc are ALL being upgraded now that we have the final engine metrics. Plus most are years old and computers are more powerful now.

Yeah, that's the plan. It's coming along. It's a lot of moving parts and LOT of work during development. And we're still a very small team.

Not sure where people (assholes on Reddit) are getting crap from that LOD has no aircraft. These are from almost a year ago. In the upcoming massive update (with aircraft), the older cockpits are gone, better performance, vastly improved visuals etc.

And I don't even make noise about multi-crew, persistence, aircraft, vehicles, fps etc since they're all built right into the game as an MMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KbAoPqYR6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvvPzFzcrNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1g5fW4lH7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Hq8FoDUK4

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Loiosh posted:

Two years ago I would have never imagined a crowd-funded game making its way up to the budget of something like GTA 3. I'm entirely surprised they've made it this far.

I've been playing a bit on the PTU. The server infrastructure is unstable again after the 50,000 additional users, supposedly there's another patch today, so I'm looking forward to trying that out. Warts and all, it's been fun when it is stable. There's something about finally being able to warp around to multiple points, get out of my ship and wander through a station that makes my dreams as a kid playing X-Wing seem alive. Now I just need my buddy to be able to join me and crew in the Constellation and I think I'll be set for awhile.

Yup. No question that the engineers are working hard to pull it all together. The sad reality is that there is so much stuff to do, and not much time left to do it in, that there is a very real possibility of it never being fully realized.

Note that for as long as I've been around, I've seen almost completed games canceled by publishers. Not to mention those that fail and/or devs/publishers go under after showing a bunch of fancy stuff.

The dangers are there. And they are more real given that the project has taken longer, thus increasing the risk of failure or unfulfilled expectations.

When I look at them making $8m in Oct/Nov due to two major events, and people rejoice, I shake my head wondering if these people realize that for a project with four locations and almost 300 people, with a burn rate of around $3m per month and lots of wasteful spending, that all that money is barely a month or two of funding.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

99M Reached (Less than 15 hours from 98M)

A rollercoaster of emotions for you guys!

Somehow the counter was bugged, it's back to 98million now :v:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

That post was so long I forgot what we were arguing about. All hail Derek Smart, the great Uniter of Peoples.

TL;DR It was about this and which spawned numerous posts, all of which ended up being Octopod deploying a Reality Distortion Field machine in an attempt to obfuscate the facts.

Octopode posted:

Decrepus posted:

Do you think they could ever have made ANY game with 2 million?
Well, they never planned to make a game for $2M. The initial budget was ~$20M.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

99M Reached (Less than 15 hours from 98M)

A rollercoaster of emotions for you guys!

Somehow the counter was bugged, it's back to 98million now :v:

Yeah, this is why some people (including myself) are of the opinion that they are cooking that counter to make it look better than reality. That's over an $800K correction.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, this is why some people (including myself) are of the opinion that they are cooking that counter to make it look better than reality. That's over an $800K correction.

quote:

13:53:05CIG Disco Lando You probably noticed the correction on the money counter.
13:53:50CIG Disco Lando There were lots of people having chargeback issues last night. We removed the charges that were not 100% confirmed.
13:54:26CIG Disco Lando They might all still come in and be real.
13:54:37CIG Disco Lando But we don't wanna play games with the counter, so we're being safe, is all.

From here

:iiam:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
I like how the amount of time that Star Citizen has been in development keeps on decreasing over time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mirificus posted:

I like how the amount of time that Star Citizen has been in development keeps on decreasing over time.

So has the amount of progress

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyPoaVRErE0

Meanwhile over in E:D.

That's some impressive LoD poo poo.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bootcha posted:

It's a combination of 1&2. But mostly due to the fact the it is literally unheard of for game devs to sue their employers. It's an instant Black mark which, unless you're a big name, have your own studio/company etc will guarantee that you never get hired again. Even if you win the case.

Also, in those cases, as long as you have a valid claim, there are many attorneys willing to take it on pro bono basis. Just like car accidents, personal injury etc, attorneys love nothing better than those types of cases.

And yeah, any legal action won't touch on those claims unless that is what they are being sued for. In my case, that won't be any part of my claims against them.

However, there is nothing that says they can't be entered into the complaint, depositions taken under oath etc. This happens all the time and is usually done to embarrass the other party even if none of it has anything to do with the merits of the case. Which is precisely what I was alluding to when I indicated that I can't wait to get Sandi, Chris and Ortwin in a deposition. The Sandi one alone will be a Gold mine, specifically because of how she is reported (by several sources) to have treated people (past and present) on this project. Not to mention her non-existent credentials and all that.

Also, it speaks to the character of the parties being accused of whatever it is they are being sued for. For e.g., if there was a cause of action for any type of fraud (e.g. fraudulent inducement), bringing the character of the accused, including past practices (e.g. Chris at EA, MS, Ascendant, Ortwin with the failed German investments, Ascendant, Sandi with her credentials, treatment of employees etc) is all totally on the table. Attorneys try to paint a picture of the person (or company) in order to show how it is entirely possible that they are guilty of what they're being sued for.

This is why they would be insane to sue The Escapist. Let alone me.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 28, 2015

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I still haven't heard any good reasons as to why there was no gameplay shown in the PC Gamer article. You've got a cover article in the biggest PC gaming mag on the planet (even if mags are poo poo, that's worth something) and you show them absolutely no gameplay footage and just describe it to them. A game that is a year out always has something to show. I can't recall any game that's announced a release date a year away without having something to show for it. There are only three things I can think of:

1) There is literally nothing to show. It is all still being developed. CIG is incompetent because they are a year away from release and can't even show one sliver to a friendly journalist.
2) There is something to show, but it is too embarrassing to show for now. CIG is incompetent because they didn't prepare something in time for a cover article to get them press.
3) There is something to show and it is non-buggy and playable, showing progress on SQ42. CIG is incompetent because they have something ready and blew a chance to build even more hype, replacing it with doubt.

CIG comes off as completely incompetent no matter what the scenario is. And lets face it, nobody gives a gently caress about motion capture and Hollywood stars in videogames. That poo poo is mundane at this point. Its like Roberts is living in 2000 thinking that this will move units (market research shows Hollywood name's don't impact game sales).

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

AP posted:

Somebody posted the Chelsea eyeroll thing episode a while back, can you post it again? I forgot to bookmark it.

http://i.imgur.com/0YOk1l7.gifv

That the one?

While I'm at it.

http://i.imgur.com/5qYdTgS.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/dI5XlNs.gifv

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 28, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

quote:

quote:
13:53:05CIG Disco Lando You probably noticed the correction on the money counter.
13:53:50CIG Disco Lando There were lots of people having chargeback issues last night. We removed the charges that were not 100% confirmed.
13:54:26CIG Disco Lando They might all still come in and be real.
13:54:37CIG Disco Lando But we don't wanna play games with the counter, so we're being safe, is all.

From here

:iiam:

Yeah, it's bullshit. That's a massive correction. And due to chargebacks?!?!

FYI https://twitter.com/davidjwbailey/status/670694016393076736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Mirificus posted:

Yeah. Reality Distortion Field.

This despite

quote:

https://www.themittani.com/features/exclusive-interview-star-citizens-chris-roberts

“We’re already one year in – another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal“ - 10-19-2012

• Locked thread