Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ONE writes everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Speaking of Murata-original stuff, the whole PriPriPrisoner extra chapter was penned by him, right? The character's so much more palatable when he's not a literal rapist and I can just pretend that chapter doesn't exist.

I don't have any hard evidence, but all things considered I doubt that Murata wrote any original content for One-Punch Man. I'm pretty sure ONE wrote all the extra chapters for the redrawn version.

I agree with you about Pri-Pri Prisoner, but I think the implications are still pretty clear even discounting the extra chapters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

sharktamer posted:

I kinda don't like the zombieman can actually die. I wanted him to just be like Alucard and be able to rematerialise after being liquidised.

Zombieman isn't a supernatural being. He is just a human experiment that can regenerate and not a literal zombie.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Death Bot posted:

considering catching up on the one version, have only read the redraw. is there a chapter i can jump to?

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Onepunch-Man-ONE/Ch-052-Read-Online?id=168353

This is when garou beats up tank top master. Everything after that in the murata version is filler, so this is where you start. Maybe read the chapters beforehand if you want a sense of ONE's pacing and art style. The chapters move fairly quickly compared to murata

Soon we get to see the infinite combo. Wonder how thats gonna look

Terror Sweat fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 26, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Terror Sweat posted:

Soon we get to see the infinite combo. Wonder how thats gonna look

King: "hmph. good grief"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So, some fanart just made me realized we haven't seen Genos in a long while. When was the last time we saw him? a quick glance over the ending of the Garou arc shows me he wasn't even there.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So, some fanart just made me realized we haven't seen Genos in a long while. When was the last time we saw him? a quick glance over the ending of the Garou arc shows me he wasn't even there.

He was yellin' at the people who were yellin' at Saitama to kill Garou, tellin' them that they should respect Saitama's choice to spare Garou.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

He was yellin' at the people who were yellin' at Saitama to kill Garou, tellin' them that they should respect Saitama's choice to spare Garou.

Okay found that, thank you.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Huh? He was there. He showed up with Bang, Bomb and King, got wrecked, and spent the rest of the arc as a torso.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
If I had to guess, we haven't seen him since because he's still being repaired from that incident, and we'll see him again after he figures out Saitama moved in to the Hero HQ.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
i love spiny norman's inglorious death.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

I wonder if black sperm is gonna do any more evil

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

I wonder if black sperm is gonna do any more evil

He got spunk.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I don't know if I like the fact that Garou is fighting Metal Bat in the redraw. If he's already going around attacking S classes, why would he bother with A classes? I really liked the trap scene they set up, and this seems to diminish that right now. The pacing of the story feels off, but that might just be because I read the original

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Metal Bat is an S class and he was mysteriously absent during the MA/Garou climax.

ONE has even said that Metal Bat being there for the Monster Association would have dramatically altered the events, so given his power level, it's important to explain why he's out of action.

This is a spoiler for the next Murata chapter so maybe it's kind of weird to spoiler it here but I will because it is technically new to everyone
Metal Knight's robot from the Meteor scene shows up to kill the Centipede. Garou may also put that out of action after he neutralises Metal Bat to explain his absence too.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 27, 2015

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

After rereading the Garou arc a few weeks ago, it also feels like his power level shoots up out of nowhere. His biggest boost comes when he is fighting Darkshine, where he goes from losing badly to winning easily. Then in the next scene he is handling multiple S classes with ease. I think showing him fighting/adapting to more S classes would help explain how he gets so incredibly powerful by the end.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well the same thing happened with Saitama.
One day he just woke up bald and bam he was a god.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hey, it is very unfair of you to discount Saitama's years of grueling training.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

In Murata's version, they show him getting godlike even while he still had hair (after he gets rid of a bad toothache).

Maybe not quite one punch level strength, but still.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Metal Bat is an S class and he was mysteriously absent during the MA/Garou climax.

ONE has even said that Metal Bat being there for the Monster Association would have dramatically altered the events, so given his power level, it's important to explain why he's out of action.

This is a spoiler for the next Murata chapter so maybe it's kind of weird to spoiler it here but I will because it is technically new to everyone
Metal Knight's robot from the Meteor scene shows up to kill the Centipede. Garou may also put that out of action after he neutralises Metal Bat to explain his absence too.

Why would garou bother with A classes then if hes already taken out 2 S-classes

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you can knock out A-classes, the only ones who can theoretically stop you are S-classes, bringing your targets to you instead of you finding them.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Terror Sweat posted:

Why would garou bother with A classes then if hes already taken out 2 S-classes

Because Garou doesn't care about the heros' ranks and has mentioned this like 10 times? A-Class, B-Class, C-Class, even S-Class, it doesn't matter - he will still take you out if he comes across you. Right now he's hunting big names because he isn't being taken seriously, but he plans to hunt every hero anyway. It isn't about just beating stronger and stronger heroes, it's about hunting all heroes, no matter how big they are. Of course he's happier hunting bigger prey, but he isn't going to pass up smaller prey just because it isn't quite as great as ones he's beaten previously.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, Garou takes out Tank Top Master and Licenseless Rider in the same scene. He's not just going to ignore beating up a hero if he's given the chance, of any rank.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Guy A. Person posted:

After rereading the Garou arc a few weeks ago, it also feels like his power level shoots up out of nowhere. His biggest boost comes when he is fighting Darkshine, where he goes from losing badly to winning easily. Then in the next scene he is handling multiple S classes with ease. I think showing him fighting/adapting to more S classes would help explain how he gets so incredibly powerful by the end.

I thought that was because his limiter was in the process of breaking as he was fighting

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

tiistai posted:

I thought that was because his limiter was in the process of breaking as he was fighting

Maybe, but I prefer to think of that whole limiter thing as just :speculate: so that there's still no explanation for Saitama's power.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Id like it if the reason never was told.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well you can call it whatever you want, and even if the factual answer to Saitama's powers was "his limiter broke" it still doesn't explain why and how exactly it happened, but he's clearly beyond human strength regardless. Just as Garou seemed to be getting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The entire concept of limiters doesn't really work for Saitama as he can put out more force than every other person in japan combined. Dude could punch the planet in half if he was so inclined.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Id like it if the reason never was told.

We've already been given a reasonable explanation why he's so strong, at least from an in universe perspective. He trained obsessively for...was it 2 years, and he became what he was obsessed with: a hero. He's a hero monster because he was obsessed with becoming a hero and pursued it so diligently. This is a universe where people can transform in to crabs if they're obsessed with them, so it makes perfect sense. The difference between Saitama and Crablante is that Saitama never let his obsession control or define him, so when he noticed his obsession had changed him, he backed off and just made it a hobby instead. Even then he was losing his humanity until Genos came along and he started actually connecting with people despite himself.

I know people keep saying that they hope the real reason is never told and they wanted the "100 situps, 100..." joke to always be the explanation but as far as I'm concerned it has already been detailed, the explanation is fine and is just as good a joke as Saitama's internal explanation for it while also simultaneously being a rather neat explanation thematically. I could not ask for more from the manga, because that explanation is basically perfect.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

We've already been given a reasonable explanation why he's so strong, at least from an in universe perspective. He trained obsessively for...was it 2 years, and he became what he was obsessed with: a hero. He's a hero monster because he was obsessed with becoming a hero and pursued it so diligently. This is a universe where people can transform in to crabs if they're obsessed with them, so it makes perfect sense. The difference between Saitama and Crablante is that Saitama never let his obsession control or define him, so when he noticed his obsession had changed him, he backed off and just made it a hobby instead. Even then he was losing his humanity until Genos came along and he started actually connecting with people despite himself.

I know people keep saying that they hope the real reason is never told and they wanted the "100 situps, 100..." joke to always be the explanation but as far as I'm concerned it has already been detailed, the explanation is fine and is just as good a joke as Saitama's internal explanation for it while also simultaneously being a rather neat explanation thematically. I could not ask for more from the manga, because that explanation is basically perfect.

Yeah, I agree the real problem would be if they told us just how strong he became.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, I'm 100% with tsob on this one. We don't need an explanation for Saitama's powers because we already have it. And it's perfect because it's the same running joke we've been hearing from the start.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tsob posted:

We've already been given a reasonable explanation why he's so strong, at least from an in universe perspective. He trained obsessively for...was it 2 years, and he became what he was obsessed with: a hero.

What does being bald have to do with heroism though?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Stairmaster posted:

What does being bald have to do with heroism though?

He thought being bald was a sign someone was a monster/ugly/bad so it subconsciously became true of him at a guess.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

He's bald because he became too strong.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think, you'll find, that this is the answer.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
People are way overthinking the jokes in this manga.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

when God finally shows up Saitama is just going to be like "hey dad,"

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

tsob posted:

I think the point of this manga is for us to come to the conclusion that it was in fact, NOT the dream god that gave Saitama his powers, and instead, it was simply that Saitama put in the work, and became strong. That, in my opinion, is the moral of the story.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Garou's obsession transformed him into a monster just like crabrante and light pull cord. Saitama's not too different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Lamebot posted:

Garou's obsession transformed him into a monster just like crabrante and light pull cord. Saitama's not too different.

It seems to me like all of the bad guys that gained powers, gained them out of desperation and obsession, where as Saitama just seemingly became strong through sheer force of will.

So I guess there are two camps of people here.