Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

TollTheHounds posted:

Where do you sit when you play?
I have a cheap IKEA dining table chair, which is essentially a flat piece of particle board with a half inch of foam on top. It was horrible until I got one of those dense foam pads people usually use to kneel on when gardening to sit on. With the pad I can sit on the cheap IKEA chair for an hour or longer, no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Got the Sheraton back & it kicks my les pauls rear end

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Just ordered a tele kit with crazy discount codes from Guitar fetish. I'll post about how I burned my house down trying to solder in a week or so.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 28, 2015

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

TollTheHounds posted:

Do you have a special chair/stool, or just sit on the couch?

I'm thinking of getting a dedicated "musician's chair/stool" because my couch kind of sucks for comfort. My legs start to go numb after an hour or 2 when I'm playing and I'm worried that that plus awkward positioning to play comfortably is going to gently caress up my back long term.

If I go the "special chair" route, what should I get? I've seen people use bar stools, Yamaha has a specific stool thing with back and foot rests, some people I know use a drum stool etc etc.

I sit in an office chair with my body forward, legs under and back straight - I find that if I let my posture slip and start hunching over, it's gonna give me backache sooner rather than later.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Shugojin posted:

Are you sure it's not the radius? Small changes to that make a huge difference in feel, I think.

That's a good call, apparently they use a really flat 14" radius. That might be part of it.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Roc N Soc Nitro with the back. Best thing EVER

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

TollTheHounds posted:

Do you have a special chair/stool, or just sit on the couch?

I'm thinking of getting a dedicated "musician's chair/stool" because my couch kind of sucks for comfort. My legs start to go numb after an hour or 2 when I'm playing and I'm worried that that plus awkward positioning to play comfortably is going to gently caress up my back long term.

If I go the "special chair" route, what should I get? I've seen people use bar stools, Yamaha has a specific stool thing with back and foot rests, some people I know use a drum stool etc etc.

I keep meaning to get a bar stool, but I never do. I sit pretty much wherever, but I avoid my couch as much as possible because it offers no real support and I sink too deep. Any fairly rigid armless chair should be fine though.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Thanks for the replies guys!

Captain Apollo posted:

Roc N Soc Nitro with the back. Best thing EVER

I just added this to my cart on Amazon - good reviews all around and I think I like the idea of a dedicated "It's GO TIME" chair that I can sit in for 3-4 hours.

My googling put me all over the map - there's like custom rocking chairs, performance chairs, custom stools etc that start from like $500+ so the ROC N Soc seems like a safer bet

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
It is SO STURDY. Incredibly well built. The cushion is amazing. I can sit for 5 hours and not want to die.

GET the back! That way you can lean forward, or prop your feet up in the amp and lean back and play some solos.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Lumpy posted:

Just ordered a tele kit with crazy discount codes from Guitar fetish. I'll post about how I burned my house down trying to solder in a week or so.

Holy crap will you post a step by step guide? Alternatively, is there already an existing user guide for this?

This would be an AWESOME way to get a custom guitar!

Is it just assemble and throw in some pickups? Or do you need to sand the frets etc etc?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Captain Apollo posted:

Holy crap will you post a step by step guide? Alternatively, is there already an existing user guide for this?

Is it just assemble and throw in some pickups? Or do you need to sand the frets etc etc?

I haven't the faintest idea what I'm doing, so I am not qualified to write any sort of guide. I will document what I do for hilarity if you'd like.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So the Sheraton came back from the luthiers, all gold hardware gone, now all nickel.

Stuff done:
50's wiring harness with PIO caps (tonez lol) and switchcraft bits
Seth Lover pickups
Gotoh bridge
Grovers
Tusq nut
Fret dress and set up

Tulips, Grove Rotomatics

I really like the look of it and the sound, oh god it sounds so good.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Captain Apollo posted:

There are a lot of kits out there and I'd recommend everyone try building a guitar at least once. Fender styles are probably the easiest to start on as they were designed to be made on a factory line by Mexican grandmothers.

Different kits will come at different levels of prep, but generally they'll include the hardware and a sanded body ready for finishing and sealing. Finishing is a bit of a fine art but for a beginner a few coats of gun oil or similar will give you a nice natural look and feel. Hardware is literally a matter of screwing it down generally, and the only real difficulty is drilling for the bridge.

Have a look at some of the GFS kits. If you know how to set up a guitar already you will have very few problems and they come with instructions.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

darkwasthenight posted:

There are a lot of kits out there and I'd recommend everyone try building a guitar at least once. Fender styles are probably the easiest to start on as they were designed to be made on a factory line by Mexican grandmothers.

Different kits will come at different levels of prep, but generally they'll include the hardware and a sanded body ready for finishing and sealing. Finishing is a bit of a fine art but for a beginner a few coats of gun oil or similar will give you a nice natural look and feel. Hardware is literally a matter of screwing it down generally, and the only real difficulty is drilling for the bridge.

Have a look at some of the GFS kits. If you know how to set up a guitar already you will have very few problems and they come with instructions.

No, they very definitely do not. I did find a few guides on the internet with a little googling though. A lot of them talk for a while about actually cutting the body etc but hey, you can scroll past that stuff.

Fender types are probably a good place to start, because Leo designed the things so that they could be put together/repaired easily.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

peter gabriel posted:

So the Sheraton came back from the luthiers, all gold hardware gone, now all nickel.

Stuff done:
50's wiring harness with PIO caps (tonez lol) and switchcraft bits
Seth Lover pickups
Gotoh bridge
Grovers
Tusq nut
Fret dress and set up

Tulips, Grove Rotomatics

I really like the look of it and the sound, oh god it sounds so good.

I did something similar a couple years ago to my sheraton, fully swapped out to silver hardware, redid electronics to 50's tonez switchcraft pots, seth lover bridge and GFS dream 90 neck pickup. I redid the wiring myself and I don't think I've ever sworn as much as I did that day. Never ever am going to do it again.

That guitar fought me at every turn. First the bridge post spacing was smaller (it was a 91 or 92 Sherry) so I had to take the bridge into work and machine the post holes in a millimeter on each side, the F-hole was too small to fit full size pots in so I had to carefully dremel them one a bit larger. I played the guitar for a year and never really bonded with it unfortunately and ending up selling it to a buddy who kept bugging me too as it was his dream guitar. He still has it and uses it as his main so at least its loved somewhere else.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Thorpe posted:

I did something similar a couple years ago to my sheraton, fully swapped out to silver hardware, redid electronics to 50's tonez switchcraft pots, seth lover bridge and GFS dream 90 neck pickup. I redid the wiring myself and I don't think I've ever sworn as much as I did that day. Never ever am going to do it again.

That guitar fought me at every turn. First the bridge post spacing was smaller (it was a 91 or 92 Sherry) so I had to take the bridge into work and machine the post holes in a millimeter on each side, the F-hole was too small to fit full size pots in so I had to carefully dremel them one a bit larger. I played the guitar for a year and never really bonded with it unfortunately and ending up selling it to a buddy who kept bugging me too as it was his dream guitar. He still has it and uses it as his main so at least its loved somewhere else.

Ahhh so yours is a Samick?
Yeah I have read horror stories about the bridge size / f hole size on those, great guitars though. Luckily mine is an Unsung and the bits just drop in, straight swaps.
Yours looks lovely there, I think they are worth investing in, just such pretty guitars.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

peter gabriel posted:

Ahhh so yours is a Samick?
Yeah I have read horror stories about the bridge size / f hole size on those, great guitars though. Luckily mine is an Unsung and the bits just drop in, straight swaps.
Yours looks lovely there, I think they are worth investing in, just such pretty guitars.

Yep, Samick. It played extremely well and the frets were probably the best out of any guitar I've ever owned, but just for whatever reason I could never bond with it. I had to order it off eBay because I wanted a Samick one for the darker burst. Too bad I didn't come across all the problems associated with them before I bought it. Ah well, I'm much happier with my Tele anyway.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Thorpe posted:

Yep, Samick. It played extremely well and the frets were probably the best out of any guitar I've ever owned, but just for whatever reason I could never bond with it. I had to order it off eBay because I wanted a Samick one for the darker burst. Too bad I didn't come across all the problems associated with them before I bought it. Ah well, I'm much happier with my Tele anyway.

Freaks me out when that happens with a guitar, sometimes it's just not meant to be.
Can't go wrong with a Tele though :)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Massdrop has these mooer pedals for $50 plus $5 which seems like a decent price: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/mooer-...y%20-%20%5BA%5D

I guess it ends later today. Maybe its a black friday or whatever sale. Anyone familiar with them?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

JHVH-1 posted:

Massdrop has these mooer pedals for $50 plus $5 which seems like a decent price: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/mooer-...y%20-%20%5BA%5D

I guess it ends later today. Maybe its a black friday or whatever sale. Anyone familiar with them?

Shimverb for 50 is a pro click. The rest can be hit and miss but the Shimverb is the new DE7/Bad Monkey/Fabtone in terms of making it onto srs boards for srs players. Cheapest and smallest pedal that does the harmonised reverb stuff on the market.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

498T/490R or P90s hmmm!

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

darkwasthenight posted:

Shimverb for 50 is a pro click. The rest can be hit and miss but the Shimverb is the new DE7/Bad Monkey/Fabtone in terms of making it onto srs boards for srs players. Cheapest and smallest pedal that does the harmonised reverb stuff on the market.
Are you talking about the same Fabtone I know of? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPVXGw1P880 this guy? Am I missing something?

On an unrelated note, anyone have any experience with the Guitar Fetish Liquid Tremolo? I've been feeling the need for some vintage style tremolo in my life recently, and it sounds nice in demos at least.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

darkwasthenight posted:

This surprises me because the shimmer effect on those sounds awful for anything more than single notes. Harmonisation is a 5th above what you're playing so full chords sound like garbage.

The more recent pro version, on the other hand, gives you a full octave harmonisation which sounds great with chords.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

The Leck posted:

Are you talking about the same Fabtone I know of? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPVXGw1P880 this guy? Am I missing something?

On an unrelated note, anyone have any experience with the Guitar Fetish Liquid Tremolo? I've been feeling the need for some vintage style tremolo in my life recently, and it sounds nice in demos at least.

Actually meant the FAB overdrive that was supposed to be a Timmy clone or something, but that one had a brief popularity because Mogwai used it for a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q5jHi18me4

On a Mogwai note; a bass player I work with has just started a project called Minor Victories with Stuart Braithwaite and Rachel from Slowdive. He's never been into FX before when playing with us, but two days after their first studio session he turned up for practice and opened his cables case to reveal three different flavours of Big Muff. It's like the Mogwai crew just spontaneously generate them from somewhere.

Bill Posters posted:

This surprises me because the shimmer effect on those sounds awful for anything more than single notes. Harmonisation is a 5th above what you're playing so full chords sound like garbage.

The more recent pro version, on the other hand, gives you a full octave harmonisation which sounds great with chords.

My experience with it is limited to seeing it become the pedal du jour alongside the Flint in the TGP praise music threads, so I might be mistaken. I thought they did the Pro version because so many people asked them to rehouse it and just assumed they were the same circuit tbh.

darkwasthenight fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 1, 2015

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

After hearing the Strymon Blue Sky shimmer setting I was looking at the shimverb as a cheap alternative but gave up on it cos it sounded so bad.

This video uses fairly extreme settings but shows what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFqBLlbIdmk&t=212s

It's probably useable at more subtle settings in certain situations but it's something to be aware of if you're after that sort of effect.

In general though those Mooer pedals hit more than they miss in my opinion. Between them, Joyo, Sound City and probably some others I'm forgetting, it's super cheap to fill out a pedal board these days.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Since we're talking about stomp boxes, anyone know a good, inexpensive overdrive/distortion pedal that lets you scoop out the mids? Ideally I'd like something like a TubeScreamer but with that mid knob.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Boss Metalzone

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Joyo's Vintage Overdrive is the best drat tubescreamer clone for the money. Some people say the gain isn't perfect but the real joy of a tubescreamer is setting it to 0 gain 100 volume and using it to slam the front of a tube amp for a biting midtone.

Massive aggression and perfect clarity. I was able to drop my amp's pre gain down from 9 to 4 and crank the power tubes instead.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Since we're talking about stomp boxes, anyone know a good, inexpensive overdrive/distortion pedal that lets you scoop out the mids? Ideally I'd like something like a TubeScreamer but with that mid knob.

For buzzsaw distortion/ scooped stoner fuzz try a superfuzz300 based stompbox. There's lots of clones around ranging from £15 to £300

They tend to have three channels. Fuzz 1 boosts mids, Fuzz 2 scoops them then you have a clean boost on 3. On the cheap Behringer sf300 you can rig the toggle switch to in between positions and get a nice blend. 2+3 with the gain knob all the way down, treble and bass cranked will probably give you what you want, though it'll be giant fuzzy mammoth balls compared to a tubescreamer. There's a lot of controls on itbutd ot does not do vontage voicings but you can go from Electric Wizard to Swedish Deathgrind buzzsaw tones just by using Fuzz 2 and adjusting gain+EQ settings.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The original Danelectro Fabtone is like a worn-out 90-minute casette with the first Stooges album on one side and the first Sabbath album on the other. :radcat:

First pedal I ever bought specifically for guitar, instead of bass.

As for Tube Screamer w/mid controls, I use an Ibanez SM9 Super Metal. It's basically two Tube Screamers at once with bass, mid, and treble controls. You can still find the SM10 80s version pretty cheap and, as a bonus, it looks like New Wave Darth Vader.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Kilometers Davis posted:

498T/490R or P90s hmmm!
P90 for sure. I think 498T/490R doesn't sound that great, or at least doesn't on my SG. guitar still loving rules to play though god drat

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Professor Science posted:

P90 for sure. I think 498T/490R doesn't sound that great, or at least doesn't on my SG. guitar still loving rules to play though god drat

What don't you like about the hbs?

Not gonna lie a P90 equipped SG sounds nasty in the sweetest way to me

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oddly enough given the Danelectro talk, the Daddy-O overdrive has a mid knob and sounds surprisingly good for the price. You can usually find them used for $20 or so.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Thanks for the suggestions. Gonna look into the metal zone and daddy o.a bit more. I actually use a bunch of other danelectro stuff and my go-to solo tone adds a wasabi OD at the end for a little more boost.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I was just kidding about the metal zone. It's a notorious piece of poo poo.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

muike posted:

On the other hand, MXR has been turning out some great stuff lately, both with the Way Huge brand and the custom shop stuff.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Don't Danelecto use some funky power ratings?
Might be worth keeping in mind

DJcyclopz
Feb 16, 2012

muike posted:

I thought metal zone was decent and heavy metal was the awful one?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The HM2 is the Gothenburg sound, while the Metal Zone is the toiletburg sound

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Metal Zones are actually really good as a boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Comedy Boss metal option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-F9URg7r4Q

:v: