Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Saitama worked out every day for at least 2 years, no matter the weather, no matter how much it hurt and never let anything stop him. I don't know how you can't think that that's obsession. There's definitely will power involved too, but it's not like it has to be mutually exclusive. He was definitely obsessed with becoming a hero and working out was what he thought would get him there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

It said that he just wanted to become strong enough to survive in this world, it's like he didn't really formulate a plan and just started working twoards his goal as hard as he could. Did the god of obsession grant him his powers? I don't think he did.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Where are you pulling a god of obsession from? Saitama was obsessed with something. You don't work out that hard, that often for that long despite the fact that you're body is, in his own words "in agony and on the verge of breaking" (I think I have that right at least) without being obsessed with something. Whether it was with being strong or being a hero, there was some element of obsession there. And the rules of his universe mean that if you're obsessed with something it changes you to reflect that obsession. There's no god needed, it just happens if you're obsessed enough with something. Which he was and did, becoming bald, for whatever reason. He doesn't need to formulate a plan beyond "do so many situps/pushups/pullups and run so much" for that to be true.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

tsob posted:

Where are you pulling a god of obsession from? Saitama was obsessed with something. You don't work out that hard, that often for that long despite the fact that you're body is, in his own words "in agony and on the verge of breaking" (I think I have that right at least) without being obsessed with something. Whether it was with being strong or being a hero, there was some element of obsession there. And the rules of his universe mean that if you're obsessed with something it changes you to reflect that obsession. There's no god needed, it just happens if you're obsessed enough with something. Which he was and did, becoming bald, for whatever reason. He doesn't need to formulate a plan beyond "do so many situps/pushups/pullups and run so much" for that to be true.

I'm referring to the thing in Homeless Emperor's vision as the god of obsession, also, didn't that thing take Homeless Emperor's powers with it? It's like this god is distributing powers to bad guys and good guys alike. I like to think there's a rather dramatic difference between being obsessed with a goal and devoting yourself to a cause, and that is the difference between Saitama and everyone else in the story; he got his through effort and dedication, not obsession.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That's like the one case we know of where that God has given powers though. There's no real reason to assume it's visiting every other character changed by their nature to become something more than human. Garou didn't mention him that I recall off-hand for instance. Nor has Garou lost his powers so far as I know despite losing. Saitama's workout sounds far more like obsession than dedication to me. Dedication appears to just be putting a positive spin on a negative thing, given that there's really no way that what he did was healthy for any normal person. It worked out for him, but it wouldn't work out for most people. The only reason it did appear to work for him was because he just ignored the downsides and kept doing it anyways. Which sounds decidedly obsessive to me.

That fact that afterwards his life took rather of a downward turn on a personal level and that he began to become emotionally numb and distant from humanity would also suggest it wasn't really a good thing on the whole, at least in theory. It's working out, but it's mostly because of Genos, King and the others forcing their way in to Saitama's life and helping balance him than because of anything Saitama himself did.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I feel like Saitama was never that close with humanity to begin with. I'd agree that he got worse as he gained power, though.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 29, 2015

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

tsob posted:

That's like the one case we know of where that God has given powers though. There's no real reason to assume it's visiting every other character changed by their nature to become something more than human. Garou didn't mention him that I recall off-hand for instance. Nor has Garou lost his powers so far as I know despite losing. Saitama's workout sounds far more like obsession than dedication to me. Dedication appears to just be putting a positive spin on a negative thing, given that there's really no way that what he did was healthy for any normal person. It worked out for him, but it wouldn't work out for most people. The only reason it did appear to work for him was because he just ignored the downsides and kept doing it anyways. Which sounds decidedly obsessive to me.

That fact that afterwards his life took rather of a downward turn on a personal level and that he began to become emotionally numb and distant from humanity would also suggest it wasn't really a good thing on the whole, at least in theory. It's working out, but it's mostly because of Genos, King and the others forcing their way in to Saitama's life and helping balance him than because of anything Saitama himself did.

Undoubtedly we're going to be revisiting this 'god' eventually. Thinking that Saitama got his powers differently from everyone else just sits with me better than the alternate explanations, and hell, I thought that was the point. He tells Garou that his serious heroing is just a hobby, so isn't Saitama himself asserting that obsession isn't what got him his abilities?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think Saitama is the best and strongest because it's funny.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

tane

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Shugojin posted:

I feel like Saitama was never that close with humanity to begin with. I'd agree that he got worse as he gained power, though.

If we go back to the 'origin story' for Saitama's hero training/hobby, we see that despite looking like a completely healthy young man, he had a dead look in his eyes as Crabby mentioned 'just like him' due to our protagonist's seeming defeatism/fatalism about having to grow up and be a normal person and get a job and work like every other schlub. He obviously was not happy at all with this, if not depressed, and reiterates this feeling as he commented on Hammerhead's motivation for starting the Paradise group, that is, he just didn't want to work like everyone else, which Saitama reflects upon closely, seeing some of his own life choices.

And in this world, basically anything can become powerful, not just humans. Animals, bugs, hell even natural water.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

tsob posted:

given that there's really no way that what he did was healthy for any normal person. It worked out for him, but it wouldn't work out for most people

.....the joke is and always has been that his workout routine isn't that big a deal. Yes, even if you do it every single day. We also have a story set during his training period, and he acts exactly the same as he ever has. His 'obsession' was as half-assed as everything about him not his pure heroic spirit. He's the strongest hero because he's the strongest hero. The end.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

If you do it everyday you'll break your body.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, I agree the real problem would be if they told us just how strong he became.

However strong you think he is, he's stronger.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Boogaleeboo posted:

.....the joke is and always has been that his workout routine isn't that big a deal.
No A/C in the summertime when it's hot is a big deal.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nahxela posted:

No A/C in the summertime when it's hot is a big deal.

He was poor, no one cares.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Didn't all of the obsessive humans just sort of wake up one day to find they had transformed? Saitama progressed gradually from failed salaryman to living incarnation of power.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Didn't all of the obsessive humans just sort of wake up one day to find they had transformed? Saitama progressed gradually from failed salaryman to living incarnation of power.

I'm almost certain he says at one point that he woke up one morning to see that all his hair was gone

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm almost certain he says at one point that he woke up one morning to see that all his hair was gone

There are chapters where he is going bald in the murata version.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

There are chapters where he is going bald in the murata version.

Yep. The Murata version shows the changes happening over time.

An example would be the extra chapter/backstory of Saitama still unbalded and defeating monsters after punching his way out of a safety dome.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Read 1-104 tonight. Anime spoilers be damned.

Tatsumaki is nuts.

Now for Murata.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fun to read people saying "The prediction never gets brought up again!" in the Murata thread. Pig God thinks otherwise! :v:

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Didn't it even get brought up already in the Murata portions of the Garou arc? I could have sworn that Shicchi's entire role was to bring up Garou and the prophecy repeatedly.

EDIT: Yeah I checked and it definitely happens during the criminal gathering that Garou beats up. I guess they just forgot.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 30, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Unlike the Murata thread, Pig God is much too diligent to forget.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Lamebot posted:

Garou's obsession transformed him into a monster just like crabrante and light pull cord. Saitama's not too different.

Did you not read that arc at all? Garou wasn't a monster, he was just being a lazy hero. He figured pulling an Ozymandias was a better way to world peace

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
Yeah, Garou started getting weaker and weaker the more he turned into a monster.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Saitama is the environment that encases all fight-o-nomics.

A fight big enough to be a challenge for Saitama cannot exist within the confines of the environment.

His life is suffering.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not strictly related to this thread, but Mob Psycho 100 is getting an anime next year too.
https://twitter.com/mobpsycho_anime/status/671706906067472385
http://mobpsycho100.com/

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Animated ONE art? I'm in.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Man, somebody ask in the anime thread how successful the OPM actualyl is, but I guess when they decided to adept One's even more obscure comic, that doesn't have Murata's art to boost popularity, the anime must be a pretty big hit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Uh, Mob Psycho is great so I dunno what you are talking about. Now, if they were adapting makai ossan or whatever the name is I would be surprised.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Pssst no one said it wasn't.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Uh, Mob Psycho is great so I dunno what you are talking about. Now, if they were adapting makai ossan or whatever the name is I would be surprised.

Not quite sure what you are talking about, but I don't think it's a controversial statement to say that Mob Psycho is less well known than One Punch Man.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Not strictly related to this thread, but Mob Psycho 100 is getting an anime next year too.

Well, Guess I'll see the anime first and then read the manga. Get in the opposite way I got into OPM.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Proof of concept for Mob Psycho 100 anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ief4qbFapZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEvrca5KCZ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LtSw0r-2z4

Yes, ONE is truly great. Read Mob Psycho 100. Be wowed by his amazing story, frame layout, and characters.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

If they truly do the animation in the style of ONE's art, it will surpass the OPM anime

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

gently caress yeah ONE.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

My wish to see One punch man animated in ONEs style came true but in a way I never expected

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Just read MO it's Ok. I still like OPM & Mob better though since there's a overall plot going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
The most recent episode had a scene with the House of Evolution's takoyaki shop - I think that's the first time they've animated anything Murata hasn't reached yet.