Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

In one timeline, Hitler was visited by three ghosts of Germany (Bismarck, Speer, and Merkel) one Christmas and decided to change his ways.

So he chooses to be fair and gives Poland all of Slovakia in return for Danzig. Hitler and Poland then take on the world together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Westminster System posted:

It's Focuses or Foci, actually.

Focupodes

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

GSD posted:

Danzig for Slovakia :psyduck:

fakeedit: oh i am an idiot. trade Danzig for Slovakia. I somehow read it as "We demand you give Danzig to Slovakia!"
Kind of a strange trade really. I mean, Slovakia wasn't historically a part of Poland. Now, I admit that this is obviously not a requirement for conquest, but it's just that, well, Lithuania is right there. Wouldn't it make much more sense to have Poland trade Danzig for German support in Lithuania? If Germany is befriending Poland it clearly doesn't have the same designs on Eastern Europe as it did historically, so letting the Poles take Lithuania wouldn't be a big deal. Hell, they could take Latvia and Estonia too, even if the Germans would probably want Memel. That way Poland retains access to the sea, and retakes lost territory, all the while preemptively protecting Eastern Europe from the Reds.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Also, I believe you mean focii.

Best example I saw of people pluralizing words of latin origin wrong was on some MRA's blog or something where he gave the plural of clitoris as "clitorii".

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Kind of a strange trade really. I mean, Slovakia wasn't historically a part of Poland. Now, I admit that this is obviously not a requirement for conquest, but it's just that, well, Lithuania is right there. Wouldn't it make much more sense to have Poland trade Danzig for German support in Lithuania? If Germany is befriending Poland it clearly doesn't have the same designs on Eastern Europe as it did historically, so letting the Poles take Lithuania wouldn't be a big deal. Hell, they could take Latvia and Estonia too, even if the Germans would probably want Memel. That way Poland retains access to the sea, and retakes lost territory, all the while preemptively protecting Eastern Europe from the Reds.

Historically the Germans did make an attempt to bring Poland into their fold but they still wanted Danzig, and indeed they offered territorial compensation in Slovakia. I don't think Ribbentropp and Hitler quite understood how important the region was to Poland, but there's some historical basis in that option.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Historically the Germans did make an attempt to bring Poland into their fold but they still wanted Danzig, and indeed they offered territorial compensation in Slovakia. I don't think Ribbentropp and Hitler quite understood how important the region was to Poland, but there's some historical basis in that option.

This wasn't that totally disingenious offer to negotiate with Poland after that false flag operation carried out by the Brandenburgers was it?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Randarkman posted:

This wasn't that totally disingenious offer to negotiate with Poland after that false flag operation carried out by the Brandenburgers was it?

That was in 1938.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Make more sense geopolitically but from a gameplay perspective, it could cause balance issues for German forces to have to more through Polish territory in their invasion of the USSR - it could mess up supply routes, control and ownership of the conquests and unit pathing and front logic.

All of those could probably be worked around and fixed but it's a concern

Randarkman posted:

Best example I saw of people pluralizing words of latin origin wrong was on some MRA's blog or something where he gave the plural of clitoris as "clitorii".

lol

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Make more sense geopolitically but from a gameplay perspective, it could cause balance issues for German forces to have to more through Polish territory in their invasion of the USSR - it could mess up supply routes, control and ownership of the conquests and unit pathing and front logic.
Didn't think of it from that perspective, not being a great expert at the HoI games. If that is an issue it certainly makes sense to favor gameplay. I guess Paradox could always just add the Lithuania alternative if they fixed the gameplay issue in some later DLC.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Funky Valentine posted:

In one timeline, Hitler was visited by three ghosts of Germany (Bismarck, Speer, and Merkel) one Christmas and decided to change his ways.

So he chooses to be fair and gives Poland all of Slovakia in return for Danzig. Hitler and Poland then take on the world together.

Poland can into Facism?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randarkman posted:

those were the front line troops of the Roman legion, right?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mans posted:

those were the front line troops of the Roman legion, right?

The Clitorii were from the wealthy families of Rome. The cream of the Roman legion, they were mainly made up of men approaching middle age. These hardened veterans were literally the toughest infantry you could find in the ancient world. The clitorii, behind the other two lines of infantry, were not always required to go into battle, but when they did, their enemies had reason to be worried. These men carried a long thrusting spear and a sword. Being richer, they could also afford better equipment. There were also less of them than of the other two lines. They were the third battle line in the typical Pre-Marian strategy, and the phrase 'Going to the Clitorii' comes from that.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 28, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Randarkman posted:

The Clitorii were from the wealthy families of Rome. The cream of the Roman legion, they were mainly made up of men approaching middle age. These hardened veterans were literally the toughest infantry you could find in the ancient world. The clitorii, behind the other two lines of infantry, were not always required to go into battle, but when they did, their enemies had reason to be worried. These men carried a long thrusting spear and a sword. Being richer, they could also afford better equipment. There were also less of them than of the other two lines. They were the third battle line in the typical Pre-Marian strategy, and the phrase 'Going to the Clitorii' comes from that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJJPce-e_zU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So I've been out of the Paradox loop for a while, coming back in to see what's new and you guys are still arguing over stupid pseudo-Latin pluralizations for bonus and malus?

I feel home, guys. It's like I was never gone.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Patter Song posted:

So I've been out of the Paradox loop for a while, coming back in to see what's new and you guys are still arguing over stupid pseudo-Latin pluralizations for bonus and malus?

I feel home, guys. It's like I was never gone.

Welcome back! Do you have any opinions on the Vicky 2 economy, monarch points, planet tiles, or giving things good tumbles?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

VostokProgram posted:

Welcome back! Do you have any opinions on the Vicky 2 economy, monarch points, planet tiles, or giving things good tumbles?

All four are mostly positive with some reservations.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

I love the handcrafted new world system from the dev diary, but all I can think when I see this image is that a breakup of Pangaea with no south american continent and no isthmus of panama separating the Pacific and Atlantic oceans means that ocean temperatures never cooled , whale populations never declined and Megalodon and Leviathan Melvillei never went extinct.

My point being that this worlds versions of Moby Dick and Jaws are going to be amazing.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

In general the new world algorithm looks vastly improved, but I also kinda don't like how it seems that there's such a strong northern hemisphere bias to it in all of the preview screenshots. That screenshot above would look so much more interesting if there were at least a larger archipelago or Indonesia-type island chain populating it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghetto Prince posted:

I love the handcrafted new world system from the dev diary, but all I can think when I see this image is that a breakup of Pangaea with no south american continent and no isthmus of panama separating the Pacific and Atlantic oceans means that ocean temperatures never cooled , whale populations never declined and Megalodon and Leviathan Melvillei never went extinct.

My point being that this worlds versions of Moby Dick and Jaws are going to be amazing.

imagine a world where when people indicated "there be dragons" in unexplored parts of the sea they weren't actually kidding.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mans posted:

imagine a world where when people indicated "there be dragons" in unexplored parts of the sea they weren't actually kidding.
There's a mod for that. By someone who literally believes that to have been the case in real life.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

There's a mod for that. By someone who literally believes that to have been the case in real life.

I think it's just one event in an EU III mod, but yeah, he literally believed there used to be dragons roaming the earth. Almost as nuts as the Modern Day HoI III mod that was made by a guy who believed the planes that hit the WTC and the Pentagon didn't exist and were added by CGI into all footage of the events.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Patrick Stewart narrated that one documentary! I saw it on the TV!!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ofaloaf posted:

Patrick Stewart narrated that one documentary! I saw it on the TV!!

I'm 100% certain that there are thousands of people who have believed all the questionable content* in any and all documentaries narrated by Morgan Freeman.

Edit:*

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Kavak posted:

I think it's just one event in an EU III mod, but yeah, he literally believed there used to be dragons roaming the earth. Almost as nuts as the Modern Day HoI III mod that was made by a guy who believed the planes that hit the WTC and the Pentagon didn't exist and were added by CGI into all footage of the events.

The EU3 mod in question is Terra Nova, and yeah, the mod creator literally believes dragons were real.

quote:

This thread is designed to hold anything relating to dragons/dinosaurs and the truth or myths regarding them.
as many of you know, there has been behemoth/sea monster events in TN mod for a long time, but they were very rare. those events are now more common.
this is NOT going to be a discussion thread about if they existed or not. this is ONLY a thread for discussions and comments about the events that are in the mod and how they effect the mod.
I will state my beliefs here. you can laugh all you want but these beliefs will NOT BE DISCUSSED HERE.you need to realize that even if dragons or living dinosaurs did not exist in the EU3 timeframe, the legends and myths about them DID exist. therefore having events about soldiers or other entities that beleive they saw them is NOT a laughable matter and is indeed PLAUSIBLE to at least have situations where these myths (or possible truth) is reported (via events).
so. laugh or not, but dont stop playing the mod due to either of your views. you will hold one of the following opinions and all of them will work just fine while playing the mod (unless you think there was never any myths about dragons or dinosaurs in the EU3 timeframe or before that):
1. you dont care and will play anyway.
2. you think dragons or dinosaurs truly existed during the EU3 timeframe.
3. you think myths about dragons or dinosaurs existed in the EU3 timeframe.
you can state your beliefs here, but any replies to anyones beliefs will be deleted without further notice.Again, this is not a Discussion thread about our beliefs, it is a discussion thread about the implications in the game.
my beliefs are number 2, in the above list, and no, I dont wish to discuss them here. thanks.

quote:

basicly, right now in 12.98, there is a very rare chance of sea monster encounter events for sea going nations.

behemoth events are still rare but are much more common for nations that had historical sightings, encounters or myths of dinosaurs or dragons.

once a nation gets a behemoth encounter/myth event, then they will eventualy get the dragon quest event where they get to decide how the nation will proceed with this information. Natins can try to hunt dinosaurs/dragons, ignore them, worship them, or try to tame them. the 3 choices other than ignore all give permanent bonuses.

regardless of if you feel that living dragons/dnosaurs were true in the time period or just myth, it still plausibly aplies to the game and I will tell you why.

hunting dragons, even if they are not found, will still increase military training, tactics and exercises, thus, military tradition gain is plausible.

worshiping dragons, regardless of if they are real of myth, will still cause the nations religion to adopt them as a icon and perhaps make elaborate costumes and thus the religious culture would be more united.

taming dragons, even if its a myth, could stil raise the nations prestige if they are able to convince other nations that they have captivated dragons.

code:
dragon_tame = {
	prestige = 0.01
	icon = 3
}

dragon_hunt = {
	army_tradition = 0.01
	icon = 7
}

dragon_worship = {
	tolerance_heathen = -1 
	tolerance_heretic = -1
	tolerance_own = 1
	icon = 9
}

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

next time I'm going to complain about a mod in the CK2 thread I will remember this and know humility.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

All that and you can't even gently caress the dragon? I'll stick to skyrim for now.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Decrepus posted:

All that and you can't even gently caress the dragon? I'll stick to skyrim for now.
The dragon-loving is implied.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not sure how adding dragons to catholicism would make spain more tolerant

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I Imagine Dragons would make things a little more Radioactive, so to speak

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Mans posted:

They would make costumes, you see.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I didn't see any of you complaining about dragons existing in the A Song of Ice and Fire mod for CK2. :colbert:

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

GrossMurpel posted:

I didn't see any of you complaining about dragons existing in the A Song of Ice and Fire mod for CK2. :colbert:

The dragons are easily the best part of that mod, someone should mod dragons to normal CK2 too.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Obfuscation posted:

The dragons are easily the best part of that mod, someone should mod dragons to normal CK2 too.

There is that Targ invasion of Europe mod, if your interested.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
What does that do, replace the Aztecs in sunset invasion?

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Mans posted:

It only makes them more tolerant of their own religion, it decreases tolerance for everybody else's.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I assume there is an anthro lizard race in Stellaris to keep dragons abiding by official Paradox dragon canon to avoid such amateurish mods in the future.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I've been playing HoI3 for the first time in years. Playing as USSR my game has gone completely wacky with things like it taking two full years for Germany to close in on Oslo to force a Norweigan surrender and Wendell loving Wilke being elected president in 1940. But despite being at war since Pearl Harbor triggered, the US hasnt done poo poo. I loaded up the game as them at one point and found that they had the largest army on earth just sitting at home and the largest navy on earth just sitting in port except for some small task forces with 2500km max range destroyers tied to it trying to sortie to the North Sea or Hawaii. Was the AI always this dumb?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Pretty much, was probably even dumber at launch.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

zedprime posted:

I assume there is an anthro lizard race in Stellaris to keep dragons abiding by official Paradox dragon canon to avoid such amateurish mods in the future.

I'm sure someone will release a Sword of the Stars mod with Suul'ka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Pharnakes posted:

Pretty much, was probably even dumber at launch.

The Mexican invasion of Wilhelmshaven showed that it is possible and that real world commanders were simply not bold enough.