Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is the fifth and currently most recent entry in the 3D console Zelda saga. It was released for the Nintendo Wii in 2011 and could be considered the swan song of the console. Intended to reinvent the 3D Zelda formula, Skyward Sword is one of the most divisive games in the series. Some people laud the beautiful presentation and involving combat while others deride the game for its slow pace and sometimes unresponsive controls.

The story of Skyward Sword starts out on Skyloft, a small island eternally floating high above the clouds. The Goddess Hylia sent Skyloft to the sky a long time ago to protect her people from the great evil that roamed the surface. In the present, we find the earliest known incarnation of Link to be living on Skyloft. He's a student at the Knight Academy but also a bit of an oaf. He likes to sleep in late and doesn't appear to take his education all that seriously. Sadly, that lifestyle can't last forever as Link is in for a rude awakening. While flying around the clouds one day, Link's childhood friend Zelda is whisked away to the surface by a powerful storm. Link soon discovers that both he and Zelda are destined to take part in a grand adventure that will decide the fate of the World. Will the great evil that terrorizes the surface be put to an end, or will it be free to conquer the land without contention?

In a lot of ways Skyward Sword is a departure from the 3D Zelda games that came before it. Combat is now entirely centered around using the Wiimote to make precise slashes with your sword. This allows for combat to be a bit more methodical and for the player to dictate the pace of the battle. Instead of a large, open world the game is set in a series of smaller, interconnected hub areas. To make up for this all areas are densely packed and there are no 'empty' zones such as The Great Sea or Hyrule Field.

The intimate nature of everything in Skyward Sword gives the game a cozy and enjoyable vibe. It's a lighthearted affair more along the lines of Wind Waker than Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess. It may not be a very traditional Zelda game, but it most certainly is a good one.

THREAD RULES:

1) Put spoilers in tags! The 3D Zelda games live and die by their story. Because of this I would appreciate it if we could keep this thread a spoiler-free zone. This LP is going to be a lot of people's first time experiencing Skyward Sword. Let's try our best to preserve that experience!

2) Leave your sass at the door! It's no secret that a lot of people are heavily invested in The Legend of Zelda. As such, I'm not going to stop anyone from using this thread to debate about how Skyward Sword is the worst/best Zelda. However, if you're going to do that please be respectful to the people you're talking to. If you want to argue about Zelda and also be a jerk about it, take it elsewhere.

With that in mind; let's (sky)dive in!

THE VIDEOS:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren: Fanart! :siren:

By Cofaigh:

By BearJazz:

By Your Computer:

By SystemLogoff:

By peterjmatt:

By Akogare Zephyr:

Stormgale posted:

Great LP Jordan, but what if Link simply wasn't strong enough to save the world

What if all hope was lost, without the master sword how can we kill Demise

Who will save us

Who is he? Just a man who is a knight for fun.

Will Ghirahim and Demise ever shut the gently caress up?

Massive thanks to Akogare Zephyr for letting me comission them with this dumb idea, and for the rest of you consider this:

Fi = Genos, you're welcome.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 12, 2016

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren: Update Time! :siren:

Backstreet's back alright! It may have been a while since this LP got an update, but we're reinvigorated and ready to carry on! On this episode, we head back out to the Lanayru Desert for our second Silent Realm trial. Also, we talk about all the things that happened in the world of Zelda since our last video.

One quick note regarding the Link's age thing: the Zelda devs have never been very consistent on the matter. If you've ever seen a piece of information that stated Link's age in a game there is probably another piece of information out there that says something completely different.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Hooray! It's back in the clouds!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I was just thinking that the Groose has been loose for way too long. Gas all non-Zelda LPs!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I have strong opinions regarding how SS is bad but I do like your LPs so I'll follow you to hell sir.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Unless there's some DLC for Hyrule Warriors 3DS, Groose still isn't a part of that game's roster, which you could say is tragic, but glad to see this LP is back.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Unless there's some DLC for Hyrule Warriors 3DS, Groose still isn't a part of that game's roster, which you could say is tragic, but glad to see this LP is back.

It's a real tragedy. As an unapologetic liker of anime transformations Fierce Deity Appreciator it also makes me sad that he ended up just being a part of the Kid Link character, rather than his own character. :(

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Have a phone doodle to celebrate the thread returning.

Fi has such a great voice.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Something the other Lp made me realised:

The Imprisoned is 2edgy for this world
Has a black and red colouration
Likes to go fast

If you just gave him a gun he'd be Shadow.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 16, 2015

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Hurray, it's back! :toot:

Now we can finally have revenge on Bamboo Dad!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Now that we have the clawshot in hand, it is time to access a new area: The Lanayru Sand Sea! I can say with complete certainty that it is my favourite area of the game. It's positively gorgeous, introduces some great characters and also introduces possibly the best game mechanic ever to grace a Zelda game. That last thing will have to wait a little while longer, but we're going to have a good time regardless!! :sun:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

SystemLogoff posted:

Have a phone doodle to celebrate the thread returning.

Fi has such a great voice.

What a great way to christen the new thread. Thank you so much! :allears:

Stormgale posted:

Something the other Lp made me realised:

The Imprisoned is 2edgy for this world
Has a black and red colouration
Likes to go fast

If you just gave him a gun he'd be Shadow.

And Shadow himself was imprisoned for a good 50 years, too! It almost makes too much sense...

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Redeads and Deadhand irked me when I played Ocarina way back as a kid but nothing in that game actually bothered me like those goddamn big Skulltulas.

I've never been arachnophobic but something about the way those things were made in that game just pushed all the right buttons to freak kid-me the hell out...the Shadow Temple was not fun.

Only other thing to get that reaction out of me was babby's first 3D game Mario 64 and that loving eel :argh:! I went into that level, saw the thing and immediately turned around and never came back.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Brunom1 posted:

Only other thing to get that reaction out of me was babby's first 3D game Mario 64 and that loving eel :argh:! I went into that level, saw the thing and immediately turned around and never came back.

That's a weird spelling of piano you've got there.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

Redeads and Deadhand irked me when I played Ocarina way back as a kid but nothing in that game actually bothered me like those goddamn big Skulltulas.

I've never been arachnophobic but something about the way those things were made in that game just pushed all the right buttons to freak kid-me the hell out...the Shadow Temple was not fun.

I can't remember a single game I played as a kid that didn't have at least one thing that terrified me. Ocarine of Time scared me in record time with the boulder that was rolling autonomously through Kokiri Forest. :saddowns:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When I rented Ocarina of Time, I got scared by the Deku Babas on the way to the Deku Tree, so I spent my entire rental playing around Kokiri Forest.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
Redeads didn't scare me. I don't like spiders, but most of the time I did fine.

Peahats on the other hand scared the gently caress out of me (and still do to a lesser extent).

And fun fact, I never completed Twilight Princess back when it came out because the spiders of the Forest Temple are, to me, totally terrifying. Nowadays, my brother plays that part for me and I complete the rest.

Also, yay! I loved this LP, and I'm so happy to see it back.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

JordanKai posted:

And Shadow himself was imprisoned for a good 50 years, too! It almost makes too much sense...

I think i'm going to have to do some comparisons with scientific methods

Really bad use of GIMP/Photoshop

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Glad this LP is back! I forgot about it for a while until you mentioned it in the Shadow thread, so I'm glad you're back to playing a game you enjoy

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Siselmo posted:

Peahats on the other hand scared the gently caress out of me (and still do to a lesser extent).

Peahats scared the poo poo out of me when I first played OoT not because of their design or anything that would make them conventionally frightening, but because I somehow managed to avoid them for like 75% of the game. I was wandering Hyrule Field for heart pieces until I got close to one lifting out of the ground and thought "what the gently caress is that" then it got closer and I realized it was huge and freaked out.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
The only thing that freaked me out in Majora's Mask was the god drat time system. Stupid high school aged me thought that I had to do everything within the first cycle, so the time kept winding down, and I was in such a panic because I just couldn't. I haven't played it since.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Alright, no more messing around; we have to find that ship! We only have one place left to check for clues, and that is the extremely ominous and terrifying pirate fortress. Fear not though, for this fortress houses one of the coolest mechanics in Zelda history. Let's check it out!

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
You guys talking about the "real" dungeon of Lanayru Desert 2 highlights one of the things I loved most about Skyward Sword: it didn't really feel so obviously segmented into "overworld->dungeon->overworld->etc." that previous Zeldas had. Getting the clawshots after a silent realm trial, having several "mini-dungeons" in quick succession, it all felt really cool and subversive of the typical Zelda formula. Especially because, in spite of the music, I didn't really consider the Sandship a dungeon (I didn't look at the map), so when I fought the Dread Pirate Robots and got the bow as a reward it was a cool surprise.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Man, who would've thought that the desert environment of all things would be so cool! There are a lot of neat mechanics and stuff with the time traveling orbs, and that fight on the plank was cool too. Love these sand pirates. It there a Lanayru Desert 3, please?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

ChorpSaway posted:

It there a Lanayru Desert 3, please?

There is, the gossip stone Jordan skipped spoils it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

This ship is going to sail in the morning, so we have to hurry up and get done here fast! On today's episode, we're going to meet what's left of Skipper's crew and try to get them to safety. We're also going to fight one of the most...something bosses in the game and claim our prize in the end.

Minor warning: my audio is a little dodgy on this video. I think I may have sat a little too close to the microphone while recording. Sorry everyone! :ohdear:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 28, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I find it interesting how the ship with the tentacles attacking it is a completely different map from the regular dungeon. In other words, most of the dungeon has been copied into the boss room.

But that was probably the easiest way to handle this, from a programming point of view.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm glad this LP is back, Jordan! I've never played this Zelda (or any of the ones past the gamecube) so I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

I don't know if I mentioned this before but I really like the painterly style the game has going, though I've had conversations with some of my friends and they disagree. I just like it when Nintendo experiments with styles, like this or wind waker's cell shading.

basically where is my woodcut metroid nintendo

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Using the nunchuk to aim does make the aiming a bit trickier; it's using the same aiming method that Wii Sports Resort did, and the nunchuk's motion sensors affect it as well. I didn't really have a problem with it, from what I recall, though.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
There's been a few games where heart pieces are in dungeon treasure chests. I'm pretty sure there's one in the Forbidden Forest in Wind Waker, as well as a couple of other games. They're not especially common, but this is certainly not the first instance of it.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Grapplejack posted:

I'm glad this LP is back, Jordan! I've never played this Zelda (or any of the ones past the gamecube) so I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

This is actually the first and currently last Zelda game past the Gamecube. It's literally the only thing you've missed.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

KieranWalker posted:

This is actually the first and currently last Zelda game past the Gamecube. It's literally the only thing you've missed.
Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Link Between Worlds and Triforce Heroes are all post-gamecube

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I figured he meant console releases.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

I don't know if I mentioned this before but I really like the painterly style the game has going, though I've had conversations with some of my friends and they disagree. I just like it when Nintendo experiments with styles, like this or wind waker's cell shading.

Yeah, I like it a lot too! I'm glad that all 3D console Zelda games so far have had completely different artstyles.

Well, except for Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but that doesn't count :v:

frozentreasure posted:

Using the nunchuk to aim does make the aiming a bit trickier; it's using the same aiming method that Wii Sports Resort did, and the nunchuk's motion sensors affect it as well. I didn't really have a problem with it, from what I recall, though.

Man, if the Nunchuck really does affect the pull-back aiming then I'm surprised it still works as well as it does. The nunchuck is good for shakin', but not so much for precise motion.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
You can't object to the beamos' lasers crossing the temporal threshold. Since you are able to see across the threashold that means light is allowed to pass regardless of what time stream it is in, so a beamos' laser, which is light, should be able to pass as well.

Also, I am glad that this LP has returned. I worried that it had been forgotten.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren: Update! :siren:

Man, all that time traveling takes a lot out of a man. I think it's time for us to head back to Skyloft and spend some quality time with all of its kind residents. We're going to help someone stay up all night, we're going to help someone get their well-deserved rest, and we're going to break a poor girl's heart. And if you wanna know the rest, hey!

Buy the rights.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 2, 2015

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

With the money Beedle makes, he needs to do a whole lot more than speak fancy: this motherfucker could go and kickstart the entire firearm industry and blast any ancient demons that come by. Look at the price of that heart piece!

Also, Bamboo Dad's constant bedroom eyes have got to be making Link uncomfortable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm very disappointed that you can't tell Fledge to do 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, and run 10k a day, with three meals a day but only a banana for breakfast, and not to use the AC or heater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

How about some avatars?

• Locked thread