Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

No that's true, but on the other hand he slipped up making that quoted post by putting himself in confrontation with the "people" of the thread and their generalised views. The thread is overly negative but not totally so, it's always been people posting whatever poo poo they want even back when the thread was almost entirely positive in 2013, I quoted my views as an example showing what he said wasn't true.

If he doesn't slip up and do that again I'll just go back to ignoring him. If he wants to get into some nerd slapfight about the impacts of Star Citizen on future crowdfunding then he should be aware a lot of people here don't give enough of a crap about that to even read it, nevermind argue about it.

Basically I just want him to go back to being a tolerably bad poster, instead of trying to represent himself as someone proving the thread wrong. The first is acceptable while the second is so stupid it hurts.

^this. All of it. That is all. As you were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bootcha posted:

At this point, we hear a gently caress ton from Santa Monica, some poo poo from Austin, and very little poo poo from Manchester. And in terms of production, that's from least to most.

You forgot Frankfurt?

Lochness_Hamster
Sep 27, 2007

redwalrus posted:

:stare: is this real?

Yep

I think the show is making fun of Fat Americans....

Don't the Japanese hunt whales?

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Lochness_Hamster posted:

Yep

I think the show is making fun of Fat Americans....

Don't the Japanese hunt whales?

I think Ben can maybe save his bacon by giving them a line on the location of a whole lot more. The Judas Whale.

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

Lochness_Hamster posted:

Ben is a Japanese Tv Star

Ben's clearly struggling to digest that third pie from the all-you-can-poo poo buffet

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

You forgot Frankfurt?

We hear so little because they do so much.

We think.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

You forgot Frankfurt?

I don't think they exist in the logistical sense.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Berious posted:

I think they'd pull a doublefine soon as the funding clearly dries up. Can't see Chris blowing his last ever big payday on fulfilling the Wulge's space dreams.

They have already pulled a Double Fine. The game has been split into two parts with the hopes of getting the first part out 'early' to generate sales in order to pay for the second part.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
How do we know the company burns through 3 million per month, by the way? I have no idea what people in the industry are getting paid though, and I assume most of the cash outflow is salaries.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
hello derek have you read any good books lately?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Mangoose posted:

How do we know the company burns through 3 million per month, by the way? I have no idea what people in the industry are getting paid though, and I assume most of the cash outflow is salaries.

Cig pays below industry standard lol ofc and I think people just worked out the averages and gave a hi-low estimate with 3 being the lower one.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mangoose posted:

Unless my math is wrong...

8 hours a day x 5 days a week x 4 weeks per month = 160 hours

Random/Low payrate: 16$ x 300 employees = $4800 per hour for total employee pay

160 * 4800 = $768000 per month

Now, we can guarantee that team leaders, Sandi/Chris, and others, will be paid more so you can bump that up.

Then you have to factor in the 4 studios + mocap construction + furniture/office supplies + other expenditures.

And taxes.

I'm sure someone who knows the gaming industry's payrolls will correct me, but you're already past 3/4 of a million based solely on a low pay for 300 employees.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

mormonpartyboat posted:

only books derek is interested in are CIGs

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
How many mocap studios can $100,000,000 get?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

quote:

Loiosh posted:

When I first started posting in this thread, people were discussing how 2.0 would never see the light of day. On the day of announcement, people said CIG was lying about the 1,000 people who were brought in. When some of those started streaming, there were a lot of crashes, people said those could never be fixed. A patch later, it was stable and they invited 15,000 more. 3 patches later, 15,000 was stabilized. So they invited 50,000 more. It's crashing again, there's a patch coming tomorrow or Monday.

There's a lot in 2.0 that is broken. The movement is terrible, ship systems are not in, some of the collision models are not setup correctly, the number of users in each shard is small. At the same time, CIG released a multiplayer (currently bad) FPS that one can EVA into another ship (that part is fun), kill the captain, and fly it away. That's cool, and I've been enjoying those experiences.

It's hard to see it the same way you guys do. I see progression and improvement and an honestly amazing change for CryEngine 3. You guys see a broken mess that took too long and cost too much. I'll be curious to see what people here think over the next month. It'll be fascinating to see, both what CIG does and what everyone here does. They've certainly come quite a ways from 'Guaranteed' failure by the end of December and never being able to deliver 2.0.

Edit: Also, it's late for me. So I'll wish you all well and hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

You remember me saying I half expected AC 2.0 to get pushed out the door on the 19th and you telling me I was wrong right? Or me saying I wasn't at all worried about crashes at this stage?

You've got over $1k in this, I don't buy that you don't care what happens and I generally think your posts are loving terrible as you'll rationalise anything away.

You didn't want to believe AC 2.0 would ship on the 19th as your whole gimmick is to lower expectations and it's more tricky to do that if you predict something wrong. I don't have any money in this shitshow anymore, I made all my money back and more and have 1 low end game package just so I can play any crap version of Star Citizen that somehow magically does appear.

I make predictions and think it's funny when I'm often wrong. I don't know why some people here like your posts, that's their problem, but if we're honest the only reason you're here is for damage control. You're far smarter than Karl but that's not something to boast about imho

Here is what I said back on Nov 2nd. It's a long post, so these are the main points

quote:

• I don't believe that there will be anything tangible in the upcoming AC 2.0. And by the time the dust settles, everyone will be wondering why it's not AC 1.47 (or whatever)
  • I believe that they will try to get that 2.0 build out in the PTU in time for the anniversary sale on or before 11/26.
  • That 2.0 build won't i) have fps (aka Star Marine) in it ii) have anything "persistent" about it iii) have anything previously promised (see below) in it
  • Probably won't support any new ships. And if it does, there will be maybe one multi-crew ship (still trying to find out which one is the likely candidate)

And whatever they release as 2.0 is purely designed as more smoke and mirrors to show "progress". So it will be a buggy mess in PTU until well into 2016. Lest you forget, AC is still a buggy mess. And whatever it is they currently have in the PTU is best not even discussed. Remember, they still can't even get buggies to work right.

Going into 2016, we'll be dealing with v2.0x builds; all of which will remain in the same buggy state that the current v1.xx builds are in.

Four years. $94m+. 500+ people. Still talking pre-Alpha. And no game in sight

2016 is the mad rush to get a scaled down version of EP1 of SQ42 out. Depending on how much they want to cut, it probably won't happen. Which is why they are currently hiring more people at Foundry 42 because all bets are now being placed on SQ42.

The key here is that I have yet to see anything they've done with CryEngine3 and which would be regarded as groundbreaking. Sure, they have a custom version of it since they need it to build this type of game. But nothing; not visuals, audio, animation or anything tells me they've done anything that trumps anything done before with any version of the CryEngine. And this coming from a software engineer who builds game engines - from the ground up.

As to progress...

Again, here's the thing. This whole year, what have they released? Well, let's see.

1) Arena Commander versions. Mostly broken. Still is.

2) Social Module first look. One location, ArCorp. Empty. Mostly broken. Still is.

3) PU 2.0 in which there is nothing persistent about it. Mostly broken. Granted, they did say this was the start of the PU; so I give them that.

Is the above considered progress for a $95m (at the time 2.0 was released) game that's i) been 3-4 years in development ii) now one year past the promised Nov 2014 release date?

Honestly, to me, yes, that's progress. However, it's all relative because when you show/release stuff that was never before shown/released, that's progress.

I don't see progress in terms of the project moving forward. And as I've said before, by my analysis, even with the 2.0 pre-Alpha-Alpha release, they still haven't shown/delivered even 10% of what was promised. THAT SHOULD CONCERN PEOPLE

There is absolutely no question in my mind that the engineers are working hard to make Chris's dreams come true. And there is no question in my mind that he really does want to see a game get made. The issue here is that, through what can only be described as sheer incompetence, arrogance, ego and everything in between, the project is out of scope, has cost way too much - and he's out of time and money.

The money raised in Oct/Nov, the yearly peak periods for them, is, to my knowledge, barely enough to fund their burn rate for 2-3 months. We're talking four studios and almost 300 people worldwide.

Once they get back down to the normal monthly income rates - which I expect to reach critical levels in 2016 - that's when I believe the wheels will start to come off because there is no way in hell they're going to take this game through 2016 and well into 2017, on $1m per month funding. Something's gotta give. Which, by the shoddy release of 2.0, tells me this was a desperate move to gain some credibility and make some money. It worked. But mostly for the whales. Tracking the number of "citizens" increase in the funding page, it's clear to see that very few new people are buying into the game. And even so, considering that the count includes people with several accounts, people with free accounts but who didn't buy anything etc, there is absolutely no question that the pre-existing whales are the ones still funding this project because they know that if they don't, that it will collapse.

Not to mention the fact that they've already helped collapse the Grey market whereby several whales who buy and sell ships are now willing to take a loss on their inventory.

And I've said it before, I'll say it again: back in Sept 2014 when Chris said that he had money to finish the game if funding stopped, I believe that he was lying.

quote:

Long ago I stopped looking at this game the way I did when I worked for a publisher who gave me a fixed budget to make a retail game. I now look at our monthly fundraising and use that to set the amount of resources being used to develop this game. We keep a healthy cash reserve so that if funding stopped tomorrow we would still be able to deliver Star Citizen (not quite to the current level of ambition, but well above what was planned in Oct 2012). If you combine our in-house staff and outsourced developers, we now number more than 280 people. Your support has created a significant number of jobs in the gaming industry. (And no matter what you might have heard, only a small number of our team is tasked with designing new ships!)

The above would imply that, at the time he made that statement, $55m raised was enough to complete the game they promised and that he had 14 months (where we are today) of funding (around $40m depending on how you do the math) in reserves. Bear in mind that, 14 months later, they have yet to deliver even 10% of the game promised.

As of now, I don't see a $100m game at this point; and I probably never will. And considering the fact that they are still raising money, as I've said before:

quote:

As far as this project is concerned, from my observation and experience, it is my opinion that if they ever ship a completed Star Citizen game, that is true to the “vision” they have been selling, it will be a game that could have been made in four years for $20m.

Instead, with all this resource waste due to bad project management, scope creep, wasteful and improper spending etc, they would have blown through $86m+ and with zero accounting for where the money went. But hey, they shipped something, right? But since I don’t believe that the game – as pitched – will ever see the light of day, backers are going lose, no matter how this ends.

Here is the crucial problem with this. The minute they deliver a “game” that fits the framework they have described, regardless of how buggy or incomplete it is, the legal hurdle of accountability becomes harder to get over.

For example. You pay me $100 to build you a quality box. Then through delays you start getting irate, forcing me to deliver or face legal consequences. The end result is that I’m going to build you a flimsy box for $10. Now you have a box. I get to keep $90.

You now have to decide whether or not it’s worth coming after me for building you a cheap flimsy box.

How many times haven’t you ordered something online, received it, then had to return it because the quality or operation was not as expected? That’s what we’re facing here if we don’t push for accountability. Except in this regard, you won’t be able to return it; nor will you be able to get a refund.

Unless there is fraud and/or criminal conduct uncovered, they will get away with it; walking away with millions of dollars either through unjust enrichment, or spent foolishly in order to keep up appearances.

So once they release what I believe is also going to be a half-baked Star Marine and SQ42 (Episode 1) and whatever the heck they think (my guess is that they’re going to peddle it as AC 2.0 / Multi-Ship) is the PU, that box mentioned above will be their delivery vehicle for the “vision 2.0” game.

Hangar, Arena Commander, Social/Planetside, Star Marine, SQ 42, Persistent Universe (derived from AC 2.0 w/ multi-ship)

At that point, regardless of the quality, they would have “delivered” on Chris’ vision 2.0, thus reducing their liability. You know why? Because there is a big difference between these two:

quote:

i) non-delivery for something you’ve taken money for

This one keeps them open to a lawsuit. More disastrous is that it subjects them to the invasive prying eyes of the Feds (especially the FTC and the FBI) for so many reasons that when the attorneys ran me through the list a couple of weeks ago in a strategy meeting, I was astonished. In fact, while I was focusing on the FTC, I had no idea that any part of this would even fall under the purview of the FBI.

ii) delivery of something – anything – that has no guarantee of performance

This one can get them out of a lawsuit, and possibly the invasive prying eyes of the Feds.

However, as we have seen with lawsuits against game companies such as Sony, Sega et al, companies can still be sued if they are perceived to have intentionally shipped a shoddy product, false advertising a product etc. So depending on who would decide to pursue this, the risks are still there. Especially given the numerous statements that CR has made over the years about this project’s schedule, scope, funding etc, which are collectively going to make it a slam dunk to get this one in front of a judge if they end up shipping a rushed and shoddy product.
The end result is that, if they “deliver”, backers are going to end up with a shoddy mess that took five (assuming they survive 2016, which at this rate, I have no reason to believe that they will) and $88m+ to develop.

To clear, I'm not the kind of guy who is arrogant enough whereby I would continue to deride them just because I want to be right. I never strive to be right; and that's what makes me who I am. I'm just that guy who loves what I do, loves this industry and continue to be amazed at the opportunities I have been granted through hard work. It's been rewarding. I have no qualms about being wrong about anything. But, in my mind, considering how many things I have pretty much predicted this far, there is still no question in my mind that this project is FUBAR. The end result is that one of these will play out:

i) suffers a sudden catastrophic collapse

ii) gets shoddily released and never gets finished or fixed

Both scenarios will result in the loss of over $100m in backer money - and with zero financial accountability for how they blew through this money, how much really went into this project, how much was wasted etc.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Now, we can guarantee that team leaders, Sandi/Chris, and others, will be paid more so you can bump that up.

Then you have to factor in the 4 studios + mocap construction + furniture/office supplies + other expenditures.

And taxes.

I'm sure someone who knows the gaming industry's payrolls will correct me, but you're already past 3/4 of a million based solely on a low pay for 300 employees.

You don't calculate hours that way, 4 weeks per month isn't accurate.

Use 52x40.

Also your salary estimation is horribly poo poo.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

OhDearGodNo posted:

You don't calculate hours that way, 4 weeks per month isn't accurate.

Use 52x40.

Also your salary estimation is horribly poo poo.

I didn't say the pay was accurate, just ballparking a low number. (Which is most likely way too low). But it provides a basis that can only get bigger as you adjust for the larger pays of Chris and Co.

(Using 52x40 on 16$x300employees you hit 10m)

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I didn't say the pay was accurate, just ballparking a low number. (Which is most likely way too low). But it provides a basis that can only get bigger as you adjust for the larger pays of Chris and Co.

(Using 52x40 on 16$x300employees you hit 10m)
That's per year tho.

52*40=2040
2040/12=170 (rough hours per month)
170*20=3400 (lol at anybody in this shithole making 20bucks/hour)
3400*300= 1020000 At the very MINIMUM.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

mormonpartyboat posted:

Actually yeah. I just finished my second reading of "About Time" by Paul Davies.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

There are not 300 employees. I found this out by paying a soothsayer $900.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

OWLS! posted:

That's per year tho.

52*40=2040
2040/12=170 (rough hours per month)
170*20=3400 (lol at anybody in this shithole making 20bucks/hour)
3400*300= 1020000 At the very MINIMUM.

Right. And that's only salary. I can't begin to imagine what the various studios cost. And we've already seen the :laffo: furniture

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And taxes.

I have it on good authority (don't ask) that they're burning through around $3m per month now. They are trying to trim that; though it's not really working because what they save by closing Austin and down-sizing to a smaller location, laying people off etc is countered by the increased spending on the new Santa Monica location.

ps: They still haven't acknowledged publicly that they are in fact closing the existing Austin studio and downsizing to a smaller location.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Mangoose posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10bD_AckO6ItkogKCIlWuofAxyLeIizPvuLc8aNFMyGI/edit#gid=0

This is a good crapshoot. It's probably wrong in one degree or another. But it's a bit better than counting how many pieces of nickel plated furniture you see in CIG's vanity productions.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Right. And that's only salary. I can't begin to imagine what the various studios cost. And we've already seen the :laffo: furniture

You can easily double that value to take into account facilities, rent, utilities, benefits, etc.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dusty Lens posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10bD_AckO6ItkogKCIlWuofAxyLeIizPvuLc8aNFMyGI/edit#gid=0

This is a good crapshoot. It's probably wrong in one degree or another. But it's a bit better than counting how many pieces of nickel plated furniture you see in CIG's vanity productions.

Please disregard that nonsense. It's all the stuff pulled out of a horse's rear end and has no basis in reality. e.g. do you know what they paid all the top SQ42 actors? $2m? LOL!!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

quote:

Loiosh posted:

When I first started posting in this thread, people were discussing how 2.0 would never see the light of day. On the day of announcement, people said CIG was lying about the 1,000 people who were brought in. When some of those started streaming, there were a lot of crashes, people said those could never be fixed. A patch later, it was stable and they invited 15,000 more. 3 patches later, 15,000 was stabilized. So they invited 50,000 more. It's crashing again, there's a patch coming tomorrow or Monday.

There's a lot in 2.0 that is broken. The movement is terrible, ship systems are not in, some of the collision models are not setup correctly, the number of users in each shard is small. At the same time, CIG released a multiplayer (currently bad) FPS that one can EVA into another ship (that part is fun), kill the captain, and fly it away. That's cool, and I've been enjoying those experiences.

It's hard to see it the same way you guys do. I see progression and improvement and an honestly amazing change for CryEngine 3. You guys see a broken mess that took too long and cost too much. I'll be curious to see what people here think over the next month. It'll be fascinating to see, both what CIG does and what everyone here does. They've certainly come quite a ways from 'Guaranteed' failure by the end of December and never being able to deliver 2.0.

Edit: Also, it's late for me. So I'll wish you all well and hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

I don't generally like to argue with you as I feel like most of this is just subjective opinion and really there's no "Right" answer, just various feelings about the evidence as it exists now. But your first statement there is just objectively wrong. It was never stable, not with 1k, not with 15k, definitely not with 50. It went from "Crashing in the first 2 minutes" to "Crashing in the first 5 minutes" and that's about it. Why they put it out in the first place or kept expanding the number of people invited is beyond the scope of this discussion (though I have my suspicions) but it was never because they were up to the technical challenge.

I am halfway between you and the thread- I see an amazing technical achievement that took too long, cost too much, and was pushed out the door before it was ready. It's an amazing game platform being strangled to death by a management and PR team whose incompetence borders on active maliciousness towards the project and backers.

Yes, pretty much so. A lot of people (usually those in denial) are desperately trying to see a "game" here; though no such thing exists. And if it ever becomes a game, I still stand on my Aug speculation of 3yrs + another $75m to get it there. But that won't happen, so speculation is futile.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

The state of 2.0 makes me think that either this game isn't what people think it's going to be, or that 2.0 is just a bunch of features that they've managed to get working, stuck together in order to produce the illusion of progress. There's no way 2.0 is an alpha of an MMO. There's no way it's an alpha of a deep and varied space-life simulator. It's an alpha of a dogfighting and fps game with basic multiplayer.

That sounds like something that could be a fun game, but it's not what SC promises to be... so what's happening here? Why doesn't it have fundamental MMO foundation elements? Why doesn't it have any persistence?

I hope it's because SC isn't the game people think it's going to be and it'll actually be a fun dogfighting and fps game. That'd be really cool. The other option is that it's a money vortex that has farted out an "alpha" of something that isn't representative of the game at all in order to reassure backers that progress is being made when in reality it is not.

...or money laundering scheme thrown in for good measure.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Trapezium Dave posted:

I can certainly see CIG attempting that. I don't see it working though.

From what I've seen their issue at the moment is the general gaming public and in particular the media aren't really paying attention because the game is still in development and in theory, if you think of game dev being a magic box where anything can happen, it could all pull together. Once they get to an actual release though that defence is down. The only way I can see CIG scraping through this is if the gaming media just don't care, but with a $100 million crowdfunding campaign behind them it's just too juicy to ignore.

SQ42 can't just be "adequate", it needs to be AAA good and out in 2016 and from what I've seen skimming through this thread I don't see that happening.

The fact is that the media are just going to make the same "$100m goal reached!" noise they've been making since the start; while ignoring the underlying issue of there not being anything to show for this money, four years later.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

D_Smart posted:

It's all the stuff pulled out of a horse's rear end and has no basis in reality.

Heavens forbid.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
$100 million spent!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

That doesn't sound too bad actually.

If they really have a first version of each of the campaign missions playable then that's actually pretty good, however I have my doubts...

Dusty Lens posted:

They revised their position on this, yes, then threw out the usual handwavium

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/4785275/#Comment_4785275

Essentially their position is that they haven't changed anything at all regarding S42. That the story, characters, setting, plot and everything that they imagined on day 1 of the crowdfunding will 100% be in S42. The second/third game are just that. The second/third game. That those games were announced partway into the development of S42 and that original backers already have part 2 of the trilogy.

S42 was supposed to have some 20 hours of gameplay and 50/70 missions. Depending on who you ask. Of course during one video or another it was stated that a "checkpoint" was a mission. So what 50/70 missions means is anyones guess at this point.

But a lot of this is from Ben, who is not a reliable source.

Dapper Dan posted:

So nobody really knows if Squadron 42 is an episode or a full game. My guess is they are intentionally vague so they can claim it was an episode when it comes out and it is poo poo.

The ironic thing is that CG doesn't need the gaming media anymore. Yeah it helps, but honestly there's no new blood coming in and if they are, they aren't going to be buying much. Especially when people look at what a buggy mess has come out. Its all about juicing their current audience for even more money. They can make a case to them that they're the outsiders and gaming media doesn't 'understand' them and that they're the underdogs because they are crowd funded and the publishers are just jealous of them. The Star Citizens are retarded enough to spin anything Roberts says at this point and ask for no accountability. They eat poo poo and say its pudding. Rather sad, really. Any investor, publisher and even creators would be losing their poo poo if it took 3-4 years for a pre-alpha proof of concept after nearly 100 million dollars.

Here is the promise of SQ42 straight from the funding goal page. All backers are entitled to it depending on when they backed. And apparently at the end of the year, it is going to be a stand-alone $45 package which will no longer include Star Citizen.

My guess is that what they're going to end up doing is taking this 50 missions and split it up into three. Yeah, because that's not at all shady.

quote:

$2m
Citizens with appropriate packages will receive access to the 30-mission Squadron 42 campaign upon release.

$3m
Squadron 42 will feature 35 missions.

$4m
Squadron 42 will feature a richer storyline and 45 total missions.

$5m
Squadron 42 will feature celebrity voice-acting including at least one favorite from Wing Commander and 50 total missions.

$5.5m
Professional motion capture for the Squadron 42 cutscenes.

$6m <--- this only appears on the original Kickstarter campaign page
The first Squadron 42 mission disk, Behind Enemy Lines, available for free to all backers upon release. A 16-mission campaign in the style of The Secret Missions.

$10m
Cloud Imperium Games will build their own mocap studio to improve the quality of Star Citizen and Squadron 42’s cutscenes.

$29m
Enhanced Mission Design for Squadron 42 – The team at Foundry 42 has big plans for Squadron 42, and we’re going to provide extra funding to make it a true spiritual successor to Wing Commander! Squadron 42 can go above and beyond anything you’ve seen before. From opening with an epic battle instead of a training patrol to missions that seamlessly combine boarding and space combat, we aim to put you right into the action! Additional funding will let the team realize this, with enhanced mission design and more resources and animations to enhance fidelity.

$42m
Gladius – The Squadron 42 team will develop an additional fighter for the game, the Aegis Dynamics Gladius-class light fighter. The Gladius will be the first fighter built entirely from concept to CryEngine in the UK! Here’s the official description: The Aegis Gladius is the UEE’s reigning light short-range patrol fighter. A single-seat ship with no room for expansion, the Gladius is fast, maneuverable and capable of punching far above its weight. The main advantage to the design is simplicity: cheap to produce, easy to repair and outfit and quick to train new pilots on. The Gladius is an aging design nearing the end of its life-cycle, although iterative updates have kept it the most nimble fighter in the active fleet.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 29, 2015

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Tokamak posted:

They have already pulled a Double Fine. The game has been split into two parts with the hopes of getting the first part out 'early' to generate sales in order to pay for the second part.

they havent pulled out out double fine here. Because Double FIne said that the second part of the game would be much shorter and that they would need more money to continue the development of broken age without contend cutting After that they listened the feedback on the forum and upped the difficulty of the second part.
And this was fine for me because they explained what they were doing and why. :colbert:
I highly doubt that CIG would be this transparent. They would just say "hey we are out of money give us more or this will be the final release of the game"

There was way too much hype for the broken age and that hype wasnt generated by double fine studios it was generated by press and adventure game fans.
Kickstarter promise was a small adventure game for half a million and film of the process of making one. They had no plans for 3 million game (2 after taxes and physical goodies) so overall i think they delivered the kickstarter promise. It just wasnt what the press and fans were expecting it to be.
But what double fine did with spacebase df-9 was shittiest thing ever.
Meanwhile CIG is pretty much saying that they will save the pc master race and revive the wing commander.

In my opinion theres big difference between intentionally scamming the customer and failing to keep up with the deadlines

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Bootcha posted:

At this point, we hear a gently caress ton from Santa Monica, some poo poo from Austin, and very little poo poo from Manchester. And in terms of production, that's from least to most.

The further away from Chris and Sandi you are the more work gets done.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I'm torn.

I would LOVE to find out I'm wrong and SC to not only come but also be amazing by all metrics. I want to play that game, EVE with skill based dogfighting and neat ship design instead of whatever EVE tries to pass as combat.

But on the other hand, I'm a human-being capable of rational thought and I can see the smoke coming from the roof instead of the chimney. Too many people too close to the issue have pointed out problems, too many people with relevant experience have shown us the warning signs, too many sycophants screaming for too much blood have ruined any hope for a responsible playerbase that will force the developer to make the right decisions . All the realistic best case scenarios feature the management being raided by the FTC, IRS, etc and forced with threat of serious legal implication to either finish or sell off their assets and repay "investors" .

We've hit the point where something bigger is going to step in and have to start making rules, rules that have dire consequences. My money is on Germany being the first country to step in and start demanding specific transparency and mandatory refund policy for crowd funded endeavors. The US and Canada will most likely be a year or two behind, the UK might go before them. This isn't just to protect the funders from inept and overwhelmed developers, either, this will be done because money is far too easy to launder through these projects, thus why Chris' brother is currently being investigated by more than one nation's justice department for something similar.

I just can't wait to see the Kickstarter to buy Kickstarter a few lobbyists

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Holy poo poo, how do you people not know how employee costs work for a company. Most companies factor the salary somewhere between 30-50% of the cost per employee. Also, there is no way that people aren't making at least 40k/yr on the minimum end of the spectrum.

edit: easy numbers - if they make 48k/yr, it's 4k/month on average. That means that each employee is going to cost the company around 10k/month for salary + insurance + overhead for each employee. 300 employees means 3 million/month.

kordansk fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 29, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Amarcarts posted:

I bet you they actually have a hell of a lot of content work done because of the whole parallel development thing but the problem is that since they apparently up until recently haven't nailed down the core technology they haven't been able to be putting all the content into the system and looking at it as they go along. This backloads all of the QA work. Those employees think they've been under crunch but they're about to learn a new meaning of the word. The amount of pressure is going to be biblical. As fun as all the pube and scam jokes are, I maintain a healthy skepticism about all the stuff I've been hearing about because at the end of the day, the company financials are not public. The entire money aspect of this project still has a gigantic black curtain around it. Why should I trust that counter at all? Why should I believe all of the money is coming from gamers? This project has open connections to people who were previously involved in criminal activity. The list of companies seems to be as long as one of the many phallic ships in the "Verse. These companies are shuffling money between who knows how many countries. Make no mistake, the game will come out one way or another to avoid a lawsuit and we'll never actually know the details of how the money was spent, or even how much of it was spent.

Despite this, I would not at all be surprised if the DS prediction of several people leaving after the Holidays came true. With the relative success they've had with 2.0 this is the absolute PERFECT time to sever all connections with this project and leave on a high note.

No, it's never getting finished. At least not as promised.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

D_Smart posted:

I have it on good authority (don't ask) that they're burning through around $3m per month now. They are trying to trim that; though it's not really working because what they save by closing Austin and down-sizing to a smaller location, laying people off etc is countered by the increased spending on the new Santa Monica location.

ps: They still haven't acknowledged publicly that they are in fact closing the existing Austin studio and downsizing to a smaller location.

What's stupid about the decision to close Austin in the attempt to save money is that Austin is probably the cheapest location they had as far as rent and utilities go. I'll be honest, I don't know what the rent in Frankfurt is, but the rent in Manchester and Santa Monica (or anywhere in the LA area that isn't a poo poo hole) is killer. Now, when saying Austin is cheaper than somewhere else to have a business that's saying something. Anyone from Austin will tell you it's not loving cheap. Which again goes back to my point 18 months ago on the brown sea, there is no way they have anyone with any financial sense more than say a Karl or a Seraph to be making decisions like this.

If you do ever get any discovery and it shows any accounting work whatsoever it will probably be in crayon in a language that is closer to toddler gibberish than an accounting ledger.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean the promise of EVE with actual flight dynamics and not point and click damage calculations and the like sounds really amazing but people need to realize that its literally impossible with our current servers, databases and design tools. People need to realize that but I'd think the vast majority of SCs fans are expecting it to be just that.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

kordansk posted:

Holy poo poo, how do you people not know how employee costs work for a company. Most companies factor the salary somewhere between 30-50% of the cost per employee. Also, there is no way that people aren't making at least 40k/yr on the minimum end of the spectrum.

They're trying to be nice. Beer and some other folks in a thread that has long since been closed on the brown sea calculated they were burning through 2 to 2 and a half million a month and that was 18 months ago. I believe we were also being generous and saying the average employee salary was 35k a year. That was back when they had "500 employees" or something ridiculously stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Darkpriest667 posted:

What's stupid about the decision to close Austin in the attempt to save money is that Austin is probably the cheapest location they had as far as rent and utilities go. I'll be honest, I don't know what the rent in Frankfurt is, but the rent in Manchester and Santa Monica (or anywhere in the LA area that isn't a poo poo hole) is killer. Now, when saying Austin is cheaper than somewhere else to have a business that's saying something. Anyone from Austin will tell you it's not loving cheap. Which again goes back to my point 18 months ago on the brown sea, there is no way they have anyone with any financial sense more than say a Karl or a Seraph to be making decisions like this.

If you do ever get any discovery and it shows any accounting work whatsoever it will probably be in crayon in a language that is closer to toddler gibberish than an accounting ledger.

It was never about saving money. It was about getting new and better offices for Sandi and Chris. Near Hollywood. Period. End of story.

• Locked thread