Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
New footage of the Connie in flight with multi-crew 100% functional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sometimes I like it when the thread gets filled with seriousposts about Star Citizen's future.

Then sometimes I like it when the thread gets filled with shitposts about jpegs and fidelity.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

mormonpartyboat posted:

hello derek have you read any good books lately?

Conspiracy of Fools and/or The Smartest Guys in the Room
Risk Issues and Crisis Managment
Managing the Unexpected
Introduction to Political Psychology

…and just for fun.

Strategic Intelligence Management
Legacy of Ashes

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Here is the promise of SQ42 straight from the funding goal page. All backers are entitled to it depending on when they backed. And apparently at the end of the year, it is going to be a stand-alone $45 package which will no longer include Star Citizen.

My guess is that what they're going to end up doing is taking this 50 missions and split it up into three. Yeah, because that's not at all shady.

Well they did say that they would split it up into 3 ages ago, so that's not a difficult guess, though I think it will be around that number / episode.

Which sounds great in theory, though they also mentioned that it would be ~60 missions / episode including all the branching missions. If this includes the same mission with an alternate "help A do x" or i"stop A from doing x" counted as 2 then it will reduce the actual number greatly.

As for the shady part: As a StarCraft 2 fan - nothing shady about this, as long as the content is there in each episode :)

quote:

I don't believe that there will be anything tangible in the upcoming AC 2.0. And by the time the dust settles, everyone will be wondering why it's not AC 1.47 (or whatever)
I believe that they will try to get that 2.0 build out in the PTU in time for the anniversary sale on or before 11/26.
That 2.0 build won't i) have fps (aka Star Marine) in it ii) have anything "persistent" about it iii) have anything previously promised (see below) in it
Probably won't support any new ships. And if it does, there will be maybe one multi-crew ship (still trying to find out which one is the likely candidate)

Seriously, why even quote yourself when it is obviously wrong? :( There are issues with Star Citizen without having to make stuff up.

"I don't believe that there will be anything tangible in the upcoming AC 2.0. And by the time the dust settles, everyone will be wondering why it's not AC 1.47 (or whatever)"
It is obviously completely different from AC 1.xx and has very little in common with it. If you wanted to find some criticism here it would be easy: They have obviously not followed their own iterative approach plans and have built a completely forked version of AC1.x

"I believe that they will try to get that 2.0 build out in the PTU in time for the anniversary sale on or before 11/26."
This was true, but wasn't exactly hard to guess.

"That 2.0 build won't i) have fps (aka Star Marine) in it"
This was obviously wrong. What could have been a valid criticism could be sataball being thrown away, which is a shame.

"have anything "persistent" about it"
This is true.

"iii) have anything previously promised (see below) in it Probably won't support any new ships. And if it does, there will be maybe one multi-crew ship (still trying to find out which one is the likely candidate)"
Obviously wrong. 2 multicrew ships, 2 new variants for a single seater and a long list of features. The issue isn't a lack of content / progress, it's a painfully obvious lack of QA.

I mean I know you have a hard-on on Star Citizen bashing, but at least try to stick to the actual issues instead of making them up. Reposting incorrect predictions also looks silly.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Counterpoint: StarCraft 2 is not very good.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

Counterpoint: StarCraft 2 is not very good.

Great, now I need a trigger warning before coming into this thread.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

New footage of the Connie in flight with multi-crew 100% functional

Is that IL-2 1946?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Taking bets on whether Star Citizen or Half-Life 2: Episode 3 will release first.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Darkpriest667 posted:

Is that IL-2 1946?

I really want another Il-2 1946

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

Well they did say that they would split it up into 3 ages ago, so that's not a difficult guess, though I think it will be around that number / episode.

Which sounds great in theory, though they also mentioned that it would be ~60 missions / episode including all the branching missions. If this includes the same mission with an alternate "help A do x" or i"stop A from doing x" counted as 2 then it will reduce the actual number greatly.

As for the shady part: As a StarCraft 2 fan - nothing shady about this, as long as the content is there in each episode :)

It's shady because they promised to ship a specific product, in a specific form, at a specific time. Splitting it into less than the sum of its parts will i) make it take longer to deliver as promised ii) end up not delivering as promised

Iglocska posted:

Seriously, why even quote yourself when it is obviously wrong? :( There are issues with Star Citizen without having to make stuff up.

"I don't believe that there will be anything tangible in the upcoming AC 2.0. And by the time the dust settles, everyone will be wondering why it's not AC 1.47 (or whatever)"
It is obviously completely different from AC 1.xx and has very little in common with it. If you wanted to find some criticism here it would be easy: They have obviously not followed their own iterative approach plans and have built a completely forked version of AC1.x

"I believe that they will try to get that 2.0 build out in the PTU in time for the anniversary sale on or before 11/26."
This was true, but wasn't exactly hard to guess.

"That 2.0 build won't i) have fps (aka Star Marine) in it"
This was obviously wrong. What could have been a valid criticism could be sataball being thrown away, which is a shame.

"have anything "persistent" about it"
This is true.

"iii) have anything previously promised (see below) in it Probably won't support any new ships. And if it does, there will be maybe one multi-crew ship (still trying to find out which one is the likely candidate)"
Obviously wrong. 2 multicrew ships, 2 new variants for a single seater and a long list of features. The issue isn't a lack of content / progress, it's a painfully obvious lack of QA.

I mean I know you have a hard-on on Star Citizen bashing, but at least try to stick to the actual issues instead of making them up. Reposting incorrect predictions also looks silly.

I don't believe that there will be anything tangible in the upcoming AC 2.0. And by the time the dust settles, everyone will be wondering why it's not AC 1.47 (or whatever)

There is nothing "tangible" in it because it's NOT what was promised for 2.0. There is nothing persistent about it, it's buggy, it's not the entire game world promised, it doesn't have the features promised, it's not an official roll-out etc. Need I go on? Because I have an entire page (from an upcoming WIP blog) I can just copy and paste; but you probably won't even bother to read it.

I believe that they will try to get that 2.0 build out in the PTU in time for the anniversary sale on or before 11/26.

Oh? You think it "wasn't hard to guess"? Considering that they've never - ever - made - any loving milestone? Like ever?

And I guess the fact that it wasn't ready, but they rushed it out anyway, was indication to you, that they were, you know, on schedule this time?

That 2.0 build won't i) have fps (aka Star Marine) in it ii) have anything "persistent" about it iii) have anything previously promised (see below) in it

No, it wasn't wrong. i) they folded Star Marine (which doesn't exist in 2.0 btw) into the PU ii) then never delivered it in the 2.0 release anyway. The fps poo poo that's in there, is what's been in their since Gamescom and is the same fps engine component (Illfonic) they claimed they were going to rip out. If you think the fps in 2.0 is the new build, you're a fool who is part of the disinformation campaign.

Probably won't support any new ships. And if it does, there will be maybe one multi-crew ship (still trying to find out which one is the likely candidate)

I specifically used the words probably and maybe because I wasn't sure. In the end, they released 3, not 1 ship, and 2 were multi-crew, 1 was a variant. Do you know how many ships are in the game and which have been built but which are not in 2.0? There's a list. Do you want me to go fetch it?

So yeah, I was spot on for the most part. You don't have to like it, but that's on you.

And don't give me this crap about QA. Only an idiot would try to say that they didn't know about all the issues in the 2.0 build as they were about to release it. It's not a QA issue. They rushed it out for the anniversary in order to regain support, make money, and meet the Nov 30th deadline.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 29, 2015

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I really want another Il-2 1946

Myself also, I played it very heavily for a few years. It was a fun game and I had a blast learning how to fly on that game. It was unforgiving but fun. I actually enjoyed flying in bomber squadrons the most in multiplayer online. I haven't played it in years, but it was a very good game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Il-2 1946 was the last game I got in a big cardboard box.
I never once managed to take off and just crashed into the ground if I went into instant play, so I managed to play it more than any other flight sim

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Taking bets on whether Star Citizen or Half-Life 2: Episode 3 will release first.

In all honesty, Star Citizen. CiG at least pretends to make games.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Did anyone else stop reading Dereks posts about 3 weeks ago or is it just me?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

Il-2 1946 was the last game I got in a big cardboard box.
I never once managed to take off and just crashed into the ground if I went into instant play, so I managed to play it more than any other flight sim

Turn on invincibility in the difficulty settings and enjoy being able to ricochet off the ground :pilot:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

peter gabriel posted:

I stopped paying attention too because it takes more than 10 seconds to read his posts

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Derek "I was spot on for the most part" Smart

peter gabriel posted:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm a busy poster, my shitposting time is too valuable. I don't got time for that.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Turn on invincibility in the difficulty settings and enjoy being able to ricochet off the ground :pilot:

Ooooooh, I wonder where it is, I think I stuck it in the garage in a box

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Renegret posted:

I'm a busy poster, my shitposting time is too valuable. I don't got time for that.

Same here, efficient shitposting is good for all

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Iglocska posted:

Great, now I need a trigger warning before coming into this thread.

Trigger warning: Starcraft 2 is poo poo and Squadron 42 will probably have a better storyline. Well, Kerbal Space Program and E:D have a better storyline.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

Ooooooh, I wonder where it is, I think I stuck it in the garage in a box

Grab it off GoG* or Steam. It's :10bux: + much easier to install/patch

The GoG version is better

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

D_Smart posted:

There is nothing "tangible" in it because it's NOT what was promised for 2.0. There is nothing persistent about it, it's buggy, it's not the entire game world promised, it doesn't have the features promised, it's not an official roll-out etc. Need I go on? Because I have an entire page (from an upcoming WIP blog) I can just copy and paste; but you probably won't even bother to read it.

Ignoring all the rest, because this one is the most egregiously wrong and easily verifiable. Also, because that's not what tangible means.

Where is the list of features promised for 2.0, and which of those features are not currently included?

And I don't mean a list of features that you have invented as a strawman, such as persistence (which was never promised for 2.0), so that you can hold them to promises never made; I mean an actual promised list of features from CIG which are not currently in the PTU build. With some kind of source that is not Derek Smart.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thank you, avatar giver.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

It's shady because they promised to ship a specific product, in a specific form, at a specific time. Splitting it into less than the sum of its parts will i) make it take longer to deliver as promised ii) end up not delivering as promised

They promised a ~60 mission long campaign. If it's a third of the story, but as long in terms of gameplay it's cool with me. Again, my issue here is that they're probably not honest about how they are counting the branching missions.

quote:

I haven't seen any promises about it being the entire game world, nor a comprehensive list of features. 2.0 actually has a lot of features, that's not the problem, the problem is that it's a broken mess.

quote:

Oh? You think it "wasn't hard to guess"? Considering that they've never - ever - made - any loving milestone? Like ever?

And I guess the fact that it wasn't ready, but they rushed it out anyway, was indication to you, that they were, you know, on schedule this time?

This has nothing to do with milestones. They said they were close and it was obvious that they'd try to finish it for their biggest source of yearly income - sadly it's obvious they haven't actually finished it, they just rushed it out of the door, again you're focusing on the wrong issues.

quote:

No, it wasn't wrong. i) they folded Star Marine (which doesn't exist in 2.0 btw) into the PU ii) then never delivered it in the 2.0 release anyway. The fps poo poo that's in there, is what's been in their since Gamescom and is the same fps engine component (Illfonic) they claimed they were going to rip out. If you think the fps in 2.0 is the new build, you're a fool who is part of the disinformation campaign.

I think it is indeed a new build and I think it's a step back from what illfonic has shown. What makes you think it's not a new build? Illfonic was working on SATABALL, if they really just pasted their work in there, there would have been no reason not to include that.

quote:

I specifically used the words probably and maybe because I wasn't sure. In the end, they released 3, not 1 ship, and 2 were multi-crew, 1 was a variant. Do you know how many ships are in the game and which have been built but which are not in 2.0? There's a list. Do you want me to go fetch it?

2 new variants, not 1, just to be technically correct (which is the best type of being correct!). People were hoping for the 2 multi crew ships to be in there - they are and they've added 2 (pretty pointless) variants in addition.

quote:

So yeah, I was spot on for the most part. You don't have to like it, but that's on you.

No you were not and I don't like the fact that insisting on your wrong predictions being the truth can so easily be used to dismiss any criticism that CIG would get. You see I want this game to succeed, but I also realise that things are getting hosed up in many ways. Now you see I want the actual issues that surround the game to be brought to attention instead of seeing more ramblings about obvious half-truths. CIG needs to be held accountable, because obviously they just run loose without that.

quote:

And don't give me this crap about QA. Only an idiot would try to say that they didn't know about all the issues in the 2.0 build as they were about to release it. It's not a QA issue. They rushed it out for the anniversary in order to regain support, make money, and meet the Nov 30th deadline.

Are you serious? Where did I say they didn't know about the issues? The QA process should not only involve detecting issues but also fixing them. They've obviously taken their current semi-functional nightly build and pushed it out to the masses skipping over the entire QA and bugfix process to make it for the sale. How the gently caress am I wrong about this?

Iglocska fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 29, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
:negative:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Guys, we need more new accounts that come defend the honor of Star Citizen.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Someone from reddit, please gift me a Phoenix and/or Connie. I will then, by Canadian law, be required to white knight Star Citizen.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
The denial is strong in this thread.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Someone from reddit, please gift me a Phoenix and/or Connie. I will then, by Canadian law, be required to white knight Star Citizen.

Here you go:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen is the best game. Please don't say otherwise.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

When are they going to show skill-based energy fighting and not tumbling end over end repeatedly as you and your opponent try to shoot?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
CRobbers gave us Star Citizen, which birthed out this thread, the best thing to happen.

Though the Baby PU is stillborn. Casualties of birthright, we all understand that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Iglocska posted:

Here you go:

I only accept Corsairs.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

Ignoring all the rest, because this one is the most egregiously wrong and easily verifiable. Also, because that's not what tangible means.

Where is the list of features promised for 2.0, and which of those features are not currently included?

And I don't mean a list of features that you have invented as a strawman, such as persistence (which was never promised for 2.0), so that you can hold them to promises never made; I mean an actual promised list of features from CIG which are not currently in the PTU build. With some kind of source that is not Derek Smart.

You don't want me as a source because unlike you and your ilk, I have - and continue to do - extensive research on this enfolding train-wreck. I maintain meticulous records in several Evernote notepads so I don't have to pull poo poo out of my rear end.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=164480&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post452938475

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=476#post452985405

Which brings me to...

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I only accept Corsairs.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Thank you, avatar giver.

But now it will be harder to find this quote :colbert:

Octopode posted:

I'm sorry that reality doesn't fall neatly into the personal narrative you've constructed where all people who choose to spend money on a game of their choosing suffer from some mental disorder that you get to play the hero and save them from. The reality is that people see something in the game that excites them, and they are willing to spend money because of that.

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 29, 2015

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I only accept Corsairs.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Neil Armstrong is spinning in his grave.

Star Citizen is the best game of all time. Voting 10 on metacritic, brb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

D_Smart posted:

You don't want me as a source because unlike you and your ilk, I have - and continue to do - extensive research on this enfolding train-wreck. I maintain meticulous records in several Evernote notepads so I don't have to pull poo poo out of my rear end.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=164480&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post452938475

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=476#post452985405

Which brings me to...

So which of those features aren't in 2.0 right now?

• Locked thread